forum

Can't get better at osu! :C

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JustAlexej
Hello everyone. It's my first post and I'm going to talk about my osu "skill".
I've been playing osu for 5 years already (of course with some breaks) and after 2-3 years I bought myself a tablet. At first I played with small area, but then finally got to almost full tablet area. The thing is, that I just can't get better. I'm not the most plodding person, so I can't just play one map for half an hour, I always switch them. My rank, as you can see is 25k but I really want to get better. My streams are ok (I can evens tream 220 bpm with some practise) I have good reaction because I cans ee ar10, but my jumps are just horrable. I've tried jump training, different maps, but I just can't get better, especially when right now is this "jumping meta" when every sigle new betmap have crazy jumps. Maybe dear community can help me, because I've lost all hope and I'm just thinking that I'm just ineducable. I found the most comfortable position for my hand to play on tablet, but it seems doesn't work for parts, when circles are in the down-right corner. Maybe someone can give me a little advice?
I'm playing on wacom bamboo ctl-470. Full screen, 1366x768 (laptop).
My hands position
My tablet area
Thanks.
Railey2
Take a look at the people around 2600pp and compare yourself to them. How many plays or hits do they have? How many plays or hits do you have?

Do you have significantly more than them, which would imply that you improve significantly slower than the average player? If yes, there is probably something that hinders you from getting better, which can either be solvable (bad habits like only playing maps that are far below your skillcap), or unsolvable (simple lack of talent).

Do you have about as many plays/hits as they do? Don't worry then, just keep playing the game. You are doing just fine and will most likely improve at a steady rate if you keep at it.

Do you have significantly less plays/hits? Congratulations. You, with relative certainty, don't have a problem that needs to be addressed right now. Keep on playing and enjoy doing better than most people while putting in less effort than they do.

So, in which of the 3 categories do you fit?
A Medic
You my friend need some double time in your life.

Try it, learn it gain pp.

Also Gameplay and Rankings is the section to ask about these kinds of things. 13
Topic Starter
JustAlexej

Railey2 wrote:

So, in which of the 3 categories do you fit?
I think, that I fit in 3rd category, but I played some time offline, so I have more plays than it shows right now, but I've played on insane lvl and ar10 lvl for quite long time, but just it seems that I can't still get better, mby lack of tallent :C but I'll try to play more... thanks.

A Medic wrote:

You my friend need some double time in your life.
Try it, learn it gain pp.
Also Gameplay and Rankings is the section to ask about these kinds of things. 13
About dt, it's like almost all insane maps have in high score some people with that passed with dt and when I see this, I was like "HOW?" and they're like 5k rank, etc... I just don't get it sometimes :C I can't play as fast as they are.
MyAngelRemi
just play more jump maps in general you'l get the hang of it real fast. you have quite the few plays if you had spent more time at osu you would have passed my rank long ago, you have higher pp plays than me and i have 66k playcount.
Endie-
I think "play more" is a nice place to start
dung eater
Play more maps through. Play differend maps. Play multi.
Electoz
Playing more alone is like a lazy way to answer the solution in my point of view.

You can't just do sth better with training alone imo. I think most people already aware that playing more will get them better, but I think everyone wants to know that what had stopped them from getting better, like some small factors, techniques, or sth like that.
MyAngelRemi

Electoz wrote:

Playing more alone is like a lazy way to answer the solution in my point of view.

You can't just do sth better with training alone imo. I think most people already aware that playing more will get them better, but I think everyone wants to know that what had stopped them from getting better, like some small factors, techniques, or sth like that.
yea it's a lazy answer but i kinda don't have any other tips every time i hit a wall i keep on playing until i break trough that wall. when i move my pen over my tablet i move my whole hand to reach into the corners of the tablet you can try that(used a long time to get used to moving whole hand instead of just using wrist). play songs and maps you like that are to hard for you and don't care about rank, suddenly you will be able to fc those hard maps it took me 298 plays to get my first survive on united.
silento
One way to help is to use Tillerino (you can filter by nomod dt and hr by "!r [mod name]" and fiend those fcs. Play all the way through on your first go and find your weak spots. If you keep tripping on them, use the editor to make a practice difficulty and practice those parts if you don't want to replay the whole song again. I guess a shorter way to say this is to build your focus.

Play more. Play stuff harder than what you're used to but can still do. This'll show you what you can or can't do and what you do to fix it. Play longer songs in order to get used to the length and keeping combo. Play songs you like so boredom doesn't get to you. Play easier stuff to build accuracy. Give reasons to play more and skill will come to you provided you play more.

Also be optimistic. Every second you waste worrying, you miss out on improving.
ZenithPhantasm
Play more.
someone ban me already
KanoSet

jaaakb wrote:

Play more maps through. Play differend maps. Play multi.
Risa
Why not try to not even care about improvement at all and play whatever u want. For fun.
And only play when u actually feel like playing.

Who cares about playcount / rate of improvement anyways.
People can always hide their playcount by playing offline if they want to.
And pp isnt even that accurate in the first place

Meanwhile just because let's say person A can get 7k pp in a year, it doesnt necessarily means that he can be as good as cookiezi / rrtyui in 6 years.
Which also means that just because u don't improve as fast in the earlier stages of the game, doesnt mean that u dont have the potential to be as good as cookiezi / rrtyui ^^
Topic Starter
JustAlexej

TheArchist wrote:

One way to help is to use Tillerino (you can filter by nomod dt and hr by "!r [mod name]" and fiend those fcs. Play all the way through on your first go and find your weak spots. If you keep tripping on them, use the editor to make a practice difficulty and practice those parts if you don't want to replay the whole song again. I guess a shorter way to say this is to build your focus.

Play more. Play stuff harder than what you're used to but can still do. This'll show you what you can or can't do and what you do to fix it. Play longer songs in order to get used to the length and keeping combo. Play songs you like so boredom doesn't get to you. Play easier stuff to build accuracy. Give reasons to play more and skill will come to you provided you play more.

Found out about Tillerino for a week already, so now using it.
I'll definately definitely try to use the editor for some parts. Thanks for the advice.

Reset- wrote:

Why not try to not even care about improvement at all and play whatever u want. For fun.
And only play when u actually feel like playing.

Who cares about playcount / rate of improvement anyways.
People can always hide their playcount by playing offline if they want to.
And pp isnt even that accurate in the first place

Meanwhile just because let's say person A can get 7k pp in a year, it doesnt necessarily means that he can be as good as cookiezi / rrtyui in 6 years.
Which also means that just because u don't improve as fast in the earlier stages of the game, doesnt mean that u dont have the potential to be as good as cookiezi / rrtyui ^^
Yes, but still when I see that I can't be even near some players that I've never heard about and they play insane DT maps and I can't even see those beats (even if I can ee ar10), it's like... not going to be near cookiezi ever :C

Electoz wrote:

Yes, that's the thing, I just want to know the factors... because it seems that I hit the wall and can't get pass it.

And thanks everyone for the answers. I really appreciate it!
theLiminator
Are you having troubles fcing stuff? I recently broke through a huge wall by starting to learn how to read properly. Before, I was reading totally wrong, and that's why I couldn't fc anything.
Infevo
If "play more" is not an answer for someone with 10k plays after 5 years since the question is not how to get better then let me answer the question how you hit a wall to begin with. By playing less or not enough to keep improving. And this is the case with op. He has like 10k plays and during the last months he had not more than 300 each one of them. How is anyone supposed not to hit a wall when effectively not even moving.

If you don't want to hit walls start moving. You'll eventually break through them, go around them or avoid them to begin with.
ZenithPhantasm
Pray mole
Topic Starter
JustAlexej

theLiminator wrote:

Are you having troubles fcing stuff? I recently broke through a huge wall by starting to learn how to read properly. Before, I was reading totally wrong, and that's why I couldn't fc anything.
I have troubles with FC, but I've never seen a tutorial for reading osu beatmaps.
based god lil b
the problem is your hand position and tablet area. change them and u will get better
vsprite
make sure you feel relaxed and not too close to the monitor in a stiff posture or you tense up faster.
[ yogurt ]
You should start playing more than 10k playcount in 5 years.
silento

JustAlexej wrote:

TheArchist wrote:

Found out about Tillerino for a week already, so now using it.
I'll definately definitely try to use the editor for some parts. Thanks for the advice.
The editor is quite the powerful tool. Just make a practice diff for the section you are not really hitting, then play it. The goal here is to read the pattern by understanding where to move your cursor before you hit the note. Speaking of reading...

JustAlexej wrote:

theLiminator wrote:

I have troubles with FC, but I've never seen a tutorial for reading osu beatmaps.
Reading is basically understanding what you're going to play before you play it. This is a play more sort of thing, but you can start power-leveling reading by reading one note at a time. Put your full focused attention on it, then move on to the next after you hit it.

Play easier maps to truly think about what you're playing before you hit the notes, then slowly work up to your current level.
ZenithPhantasm
Play scarlet rose many times