forum

Keyboard o-Rings

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
autoteleology
I just got some really shitty ones from China for like a dollar, and even though they're only 40A hardness (very soft and squishy) I feel like, as someone who mashes the keys pretty hard and always bottoms out, that they're helpful in conserving energy and correlating the bottom out of the key with the actuation point. It feels better to double tap with the o-rings than without. It's not a groundbreaking difference but the improvement is immediately noticeable.

O-rings are kind of a rarely visited topic around here so I felt like putting that out there. If you double tap, using o-rings will probably improve your stamina and your accuracy by a small degree. They cost basically nothing so you don't have much to lose by giving them a shot.
Vuelo Eluko
What is double tapping?
TakuMii
I've been using o-rings since Day 1 of using a mechanical keyboard (my Logitech G710+ came with 50As preinstalled), and I really don't like using a mechanical keyboard without them (I've even transferred them over to every single keyboard I've used since then).
The feedback of bottoming out without the o-rings is just too harsh IMO, especially considering that mechanical keys don't even need to be bottomed out to actuate. I find myself having an easier time trying to avoid bottoming out, despite the shorter travel distance, due to the lessened feedback. The reduced noise is a plus too, but I've had friends almost mistake my o-ringed MX Browns as rubber domes due to how un-clacky the o-rings make them.
KanoSet
that's something to look at i would say
bottming my blue switches kinda feel mushy/harsh *insert better word* so i wonder how o-rings would feel
Vuelo Eluko
sometimes i wonder if the hard impacts of o-ringless keys is wearing out the padding of my finger joints quicker
but then i stop caring and go on with my life
ZenithPhantasm
I use Buna 90A from amazon. Since I dont like you I cbf'ed to link you it so you'll have to do it yourself.
Topic Starter
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

90A

Have fun with your miniature shopping cart wheels, I recommend anyone else to get the 70A rings since my 40A rings are kind of mushy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1

Links are different thicknesses so you can mix and match
ZenithPhantasm
90A works perfectly fine. It reduces travel and gives me the tactileness I want. Unfortunate it does nothing to stop me from cracking my stems
-Makishima S-
Zenny is right.
KanoSet
i thought they were desgined for mech keyboards.. but it's just normal o rings
i can ask dad if has some or buy it from a near store.. shipping to egypt would cost 5x the price or something
ZenithPhantasm

KanoSet wrote:

i thought they were desgined for mech keyboards.. but it's just normal o rings
i can ask dad if has some or buy it from a near store.. shipping to egypt would cost 5x the price or something
Designed for keyboards? Wot. Its fucking rubber rings lol. Its ghetto af
The Gambler
I just use my old dental bands from the days I had braces. I still have a pack of those left and they're not gonna be used soon.
They work decently well for O-rings.
TakuMii
^I still have a bunch of my old dental elastics as well... honestly, I think they're way too squishy to be as effective (or as good-feeling) as real keyboard O-rings.
KanoSet
i found 2 of these laying around.. it's a bit wide but damn it feels so soft to press on. it's just freakin nice
i played with em for like 2 hours, streaming is much more comfy and it's much easier to recover from a miss and it seems to help with stamina since i have 10 years old kid fingers
the only thing that it's not steady in its place as it should cuz of the width but it's not that noitceable, i'll try to look around for smaller ones when i have some free time
trebby

The Gambler wrote:

I just use my old dental bands from the days I had braces. I still have a pack of those left and they're not gonna be used soon.
They work decently well for O-rings.
Heh, me too, they were my sister's (unused, of course). But I feel like they don't make much a of a difference, so I needed to put on at least 2 for each key. 40A seems like the way to go for red switches, so I'll plan on getting those maybe on Christmas.