forum

Phone app for outdoor mapping?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +38
Topic Starter
_underjoy
Hiho,
First of all, I am not a programmer and this thread is a request/idea, if it's wrong place then please move it.

Basically my idea is a map editor in the form of phone app.
Why?
Suppose you are going to travel 4 hours in a train/car tomorrow, whatever. You want to do something other than sleeping or doing some boring things.
So, during the travel you open your osu!editor in your phone, open a mp3 with it and you can map something on-the-run! When you arrive, you just connect your phone to your laptop and copy the .osu file/song folder into your osu! and play/further edit what you have mapped.

Sounds neat? Now let's get into some details of how do I imagine the program to work:
- It should be simple and contain the basic tools of the editor. Placing notes, playing the song, snapping, song setup and timing menus (of course live bpm syncing would be impossible). I don't really see hitsounds there, too much work? I don't know. Also, the touch controls would come in handy placing the hit objects accurately.

- It should be able both to create a new beatmap as well as reading the map you previously saved on your phone (just like osu!droid does).

- It should allow for mapping all modes, shouldn't be hard to implement that.

- It should be able to save a map so that it can be later recognised by osu!/loaded again by the app.

- I actually thought if this could be a feature of osu!droid but realised that osu!droid sucks and a standalone app is better.

I strongly believe that this is not a very hard thing to program, looks possible for me. Unfortunately I don't possess programming skills so I am asking you, dear community. Maybe some of you agree with my idea and can create apps like this? Would be awesome.
Rilene
Well, sounds nice but mapping osu! and Catch the Beat might not be possible while Taiko and osu!mania is technically possible.
Cloudchaser
It would be a nice idea but it should be for tablet devices imo
xxdeathx

_underjoy wrote:

I strongly believe that this is not a very hard thing to program, looks possible for me. Unfortunately I don't possess programming skills
nuff said
Topic Starter
_underjoy

xxdeathx wrote:

_underjoy wrote:

I strongly believe that this is not a very hard thing to program, looks possible for me. Unfortunately I don't possess programming skills
nuff said
It is not that complicated, there are numerous apps with much more effort to code. I'm asking for an editor, which basically is a graphic representation of data in .osu files. If I had any programming skills I would probably work on it myself.Unfortunately I don't, that's why I am asking the community, maybe someone shares the idea and can help.

Also yeah, it would work wonders on tablet devices.
Bara-
Why?
The screen is really small
Timing appliying will be impossible due to low response time, and lag
Even my PC can't handle editor sometimes

Oh, this'll also never happen for iOs, due to it having to due with music and song sharing
Not sure about android

I don't think this can ever happen
Rilene

Baraatje123 wrote:

Why?
The screen is really small
Timing appliying will be impossible due to low response time, and lag
Even my PC can't handle editor sometimes

Oh, this'll also never happen for iOs, due to it having to due with music and song sharing
Not sure about android

I don't think this can ever happen
It could possibly happen, but for osu! and CtB will obviously not be impossible (unless on iPad and larger devices)
Bara-
Also, as the screen is small, you can never make blankets perfect
Therefore
GO AWAY WITH THIS REQUEST :P
Rilene

Baraatje123 wrote:

Also, as the screen is small, you can never make blankets perfect
Therefore
GO AWAY WITH THIS REQUEST :P
Don't forget there is also other modes as well.
Topic Starter
_underjoy
Also this is optional, you don't want to use it so you don't use it, but I would find it easy to map on phone, and its always a nice feature to have.

Also there is both osudroid and beatx, music game simulators, why cannot we have editors as well?
Flanster
These mobile applications are maintained by different developers, this kind of request is not related to the actual osu!client.
My suggestion is to just have a Tablet PC while/if this kind of feature will be worked on by anyone who is maintaining osu! on Android, Windows Phone or iOS (Blackberry as well iirc).
Ferret
Yeah there is a couple of troubles because you should in theory reverse engineer the algorithm that peppy created to divide the beats in ms because they are really inconsistent.
Sometimes there are differences between 2 beats, sometime there is not.
Say, the amount between beats could be equal and sometimes not at all IE: 60ms - 60ms - 61ms - 63ms.
I have seen it a lot of times, I really like the idea but there is a lot of problems because you should propably create pretty consistent replica of how the algorithm works and then create your own editor.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but an API would be awesome. :)
CXu

_underjoy wrote:

I strongly believe that this is not a very hard thing to program, looks possible for me. Unfortunately I don't possess programming skills so I am asking you, dear community. Maybe some of you agree with my idea and can create apps like this? Would be awesome.
As you strongly believe this is not a very hard thing to program, then learn programming and do it yourself.

osu! needs more people doing things, not asking for things to be done.
xxdeathx

_underjoy wrote:

It is not that complicated, there are numerous apps with much more effort to code. I'm asking for an editor, which basically is a graphic representation of data in .osu files. If I had any programming skills I would probably work on it myself.Unfortunately I don't, that's why I am asking the community, maybe someone shares the idea and can help.

Also yeah, it would work wonders on tablet devices.
what would you know about complexity if you never experienced it first hand?
Sea_Food

xxdeathx wrote:

_underjoy wrote:

nuff said
ITT: people who know nothing, and know that they know nothing, pretending that they know stuff.

Atm osu!droid several years out dated, is riddled with tons of glitches and crashes non stop if you do anything wrong. Until all of those problems are fixed, no effort should be put into something as trivial as a mapping app. And the reason osu!droid is not fixed is simply because there is not a single person of the 7billion people on earth is both willing and capable of doing it, why would you think its any different for this?

>inb4 i use apple devices and dont know what osu!droid is