forum

Things you'd like to see most in ranked mania maps? (poll)

posted
Total Posts

Things (or changes) you'd like to see most in ranked mania maps

More easy maps targeted towards beginning mania players (for any keymode)
4.51%
More difficult maps targeted towards 'ET' players (for any keymode)
14.83%
More "anti-meta" keys ranked (any keymode excluding 4K or 7K)
7.56%
Ability to rank keys outside of 4~9K (1K, 2K, 3K, 10K+)
3.92%
Wider variety of song choices in mania maps
14.53%
Higher quality of maps in general
16.72%
Ability to rank maps like dump files (may have ghost notes but generally follow the song)
7.70%
Ability to separate the mania rankings by keymode (ex. 4K has a separate ranking from 7K)
15.99%
Ability for unranked mods (DT, RD, etc.) to be rankable (with some balance changes)
12.06%
Other
2.18%
Total votes: 688
Topic Starter
Jinjin
I've complied a list of some popular opinions that mania players have that they want to see in future ranked maps. Vote away! Discussions are welcome. I know most of you would want to see more than 1 aspect of the options, so each user can vote up to 4 choices.

*If you chose the "others" option, you are welcome to write a comment about what you'd personally like to see in ranked maps.

~
XeoStyle
Maybe more marathon maps no ?
Nice poll idees Jin <:
Topic Starter
Jinjin

XeoStyle wrote:

Maybe more marathon maps no ?
Nice poll idees Jin <:
Thanks~
I actually thought of that option while I was making the poll (It's a good one, too) , but I was limited with the number of options I could make for the poll since it only allows for 10 choices maximum. ;_;

But yeah, I'd always be happy for more marathon maps \o/
Evening
Multibpm maps that have notes approximately timed but accurate enough to be playable to a certain extent
Vuelo Eluko
i like it when it do the wavey thing that comes to a point in the middle then goes back out again wew its crahzy
Evening

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

i like it when it do the wavey thing that comes to a point in the middle then goes back out again wew its crahzy
That too, I love that shit right there
DJPop
More full-keysounded maps pls :D
Todestrieb

DJPop wrote:

lim38

Todestrieb wrote:

DJPop wrote:

DUKI MODODIABLO
For the love of god make mods rankeable in mania!!!!
Valedict
rank dumps thanks
akuma123

Eos wrote:

For the love of god make mods rankeable in mania!!!!

Valedict wrote:

rank dumps thanks
Arzenvald
1st, 5th, 6th, 8th

Ability to separate the mania rankings by keymode (ex. 4K has a separate ranking from 7K) // this sounds like pure bliss somehow o3o

SPOILER
osu!mania community has diversed by the keymode since long time ago, would be great if each keymode has their own ranking calculation :3a
Shoegazer
Can someone give a solid argument as to why dumps should be ranked? Bobbias gave his viewpoint on such and it was eventually an agree to disagree thing.

This is coming from someone who has been pumping out dump charts for the past year or so.
Arzenvald
woops here we go again :^)
Aqo
where's the option to rank maps that are actually good
Topic Starter
Jinjin

Aqo wrote:

where's the option to rank maps that are actually good
"Higher quality of maps in general"
Aqo
pocket-gao's Violet Soul is really nice though. more of that please

less 123567 ppsmash maps please
Bobbias

Shoegazer wrote:

Can someone give a solid argument as to why dumps should be ranked? Bobbias gave his viewpoint on such and it was eventually an agree to disagree thing.

This is coming from someone who has been pumping out dump charts for the past year or so.
Yeah, still basically no progress on writing up a real wall of text on that subject lol.

Anyway, personally I feel like dumps are more or less an inevitable element to rhythm games where people are able to create their own charts. Dumps allow for extreme levels of creativity from the mapper (since they are no longer restricted to following the music in a note for note fashion). This freedom comes with it's own issues of course. A carefully constructed dump will usually have very interesting patterns that still follow the structure of the music and should also have a lot of emphasis on pattern playability, while a poorly constructed one may have little or no real structure at all, and patterns that may be essentially unplayable.

Because of this level of variability between good and bad, allowing dumps to be rankable would mean that any dumps being considered for ranking should definitely be looked at by someone who has a very strong understanding of structure and pattern playability. On the other hand, allowing dumps would allow for some very unique maps that have a very strong sense of personality due to the structure/patterns used, which is something I feel osu!mania is lacking. While there are certainly still several maps with a strong sense of personality, a large number of ranked mania maps right now feel very samey and uninteresting to me.

For reference, I would consider many of the extremely difficult o2jam and BMS charts as dumps, even though they aren't generally referred to as such by their respective communities.
Rilene
I would like to see anything that isn't...

1. Hold-note spam, I'm ok with if it is used properly.
  2. Weird pattern out of nowhere.
  3. 1/2 on calm off-chorus and 1/1 on intense chorus.
Basically these and some bit more on the poll.
BilliumMoto

Rilene wrote:

I would like to see anything that isn't...

1. Hold-note spam, I'm ok with if it is used properly.
  2. Weird pattern out of nowhere.
  3. 1/2 on calm off-chorus and 1/1 on intense chorus.
Basically these and some bit more on the poll.
A direct result of the mapping meta that certain prolific mappers have established in the past and has become the standard
Shoegazer

Bobbias wrote:

Anyway, personally I feel like dumps are more or less an inevitable element to rhythm games where people are able to create their own charts. Dumps allow for extreme levels of creativity from the mapper (since they are no longer restricted to following the music in a note for note fashion). This freedom comes with it's own issues of course. A carefully constructed dump will usually have very interesting patterns that still follow the structure of the music and should also have a lot of emphasis on pattern playability, while a poorly constructed one may have little or no real structure at all, and patterns that may be essentially unplayable.

Because of this level of variability between good and bad, allowing dumps to be rankable would mean that any dumps being considered for ranking should definitely be looked at by someone who has a very strong understanding of structure and pattern playability. On the other hand, allowing dumps would allow for some very unique maps that have a very strong sense of personality due to the structure/patterns used, which is something I feel osu!mania is lacking. While there are certainly still several maps with a strong sense of personality, a large number of ranked mania maps right now feel very samey and uninteresting to me.

For reference, I would consider many of the extremely difficult o2jam and BMS charts as dumps, even though they aren't generally referred to as such by their respective communities.
Thanks for the response, although we've probably discussed this time and time again.

Honestly my reasoning for dumps not being rankable is simply because it's leaning far too much to what makes a chart enjoyable to play through. The end product (i.e. how much you enjoy a chart/how fun it is) is based on two factors, musical relevancy and playability (pattern choices, difficulty consistency and so on). The reason why we make dump charts/overmapped charts is because we want to make charts to music that we (probably) enjoy but the music as it is simply do not justify the difficulty of the chart that you want to make. Without speeding up music, a chart can be harder in two ways: either the chart will be overlayered, or the chart will have ghost notes. Both of these strongly decrease the musical relevancy of the chart. The latter is a given and everyone agrees that this would create a "dump" chart, but I don't understand why people don't see the same for the former. Just because there are sounds that could justify these chords does not mean that it is not a dump. While there is no universal form of charting, nonstop three to four note chords in a 4K chart would represent that the song is extremely cacophonous because it takes up 80%-100% of the playing field. In most cases, they do not represent the song you're charting.

So you have to draw a line as to how much musical relevancy is enough. I don't think adhering to your own set of rules for your dump chart is sufficient, because consistency is a very simple thing and it should be fundamental for any chart that is actually "good". So how dumpy is too dumpy? Do you stop with charts like King For A Day, where it's almost completely based on the atmosphere of the song with a layering scheme that is far from representative from the song (a syllable is almost always a four-note 1/6 burst, etc.) itself, or do we stop at charts like Ice Angel or dreamless wanderer or AiAe, where sounds are actually present to somewhat justify them but they are far from what the music actually represents? Not to mention it's not really a clear-cut thing for some charts either.. there's just way too much subjectivity involved and even if you managed to put in some criteria as to how dumpy it is, there's still edge cases. It's just not worth the trouble because the ranking criteria is supposed to be a set of rules.

Can dumps be creative? Absolutely, I've seen a ton of creative dump charts and I do want to make creative dump charts some time in the future, but the thing is that are there many people who can be that creative just because they can create their own set of rules? It's not like the rules of mapping normally are restrictive, honestly. They're really not that restrictive; the only reason why it seems that way is because of how insanely limited the song choices are in this game. Most of these are extremely generic rhythm game music (SDVX comes to mind) or anime OPs which are also generic in structure. Music like breakcore, progressive rock/metal (though this is somewhat understandable, given how bad the osu editor is and time signature bullshit, that's a suggestion I'd like to see) and classical are all genres that are completely overlooked by the mania community. I don't see how allowing dumps in game would actually change the variety of maps that much, considering that the community is already creating artificial barriers as to what to chart to begin with. Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone - I know a ton of mappers who chart unique music (Agka and Billium come to mind), but these people don't really bother getting their charts ranked for a multitude of reasons that aren't exclusive to "dumps not being allowed". Allowing dumps won't change this at all.

I could honestly go on about about how allowing dump charts would be far more of a nuisance than it is to not and how there are some communities that have a "ranking criteria" system (FFR) and it works just fine, but they're not entirely comparable. The main points is that I feel that dumps just err far too much towards one factor (playability) that makes a chart enjoyable (and I'd argue that the other extreme (musical relevancy) is just as bad, but unfortunately due to how the ranking criteria works the mapper can reject any suggestions regarding playability as long as notes are consistent), and not trying to carry a finesse that creates memorable and replayable charts, and the fact that it just creates too much ambiguity and problems than it would have benefits (more maps).

Of course, this is just a subjective response from someone who has been raised in a community with stern standards. I know that there are people who play other rhythm games with charting principles that are far more lax and liberal and vehemently disagree with my viewpoint, and I'd like to see other reasons why they want dump charts to be ranked.

post count +1.
show more