forum

Is taping your fingers to your stylus a legit strat?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sadpwner
To avoid finger slipping, management and fear of it so you can concentrate.
Rilene
Are you asking or giving an advice?
Bungie2117
That's an interesting idea. Could you explain in what position you'd take the pen to? I'm trying to imagine it but not see how it would be beneficial. Doing that seems to make it harder to aim
buny
legit strat? you mean playstyle?

do whatever you want, nobody really cares.
ZenithPhantasm
Did you tried glue too?
Railey2

a loli wrote:

legit strat? you mean playstyle?

do whatever you want, nobody really cares.
I guess that strat = strategy.

Also, whats up with that attitude? If you don't care about peoples questions and ideas regarding osu, then YOU are the one who should not post here. This forum is a place where people are encouraged to ask questions, exchange helpful information and give advice to each other.
To quote Stefan, "This forum should be used to get advice and feedback, talking about Ranks and how to improve. (source).
You don't get to discourage people by acting all disinterested. Feel free to leave this place.

To answer the original question: It seems like it could work, but on second thought I feel like it is too much effort to go through every time to be worth it. There are easier and more elegant ways to modify your pen/penhold. For example, see what Rohulk did with his pen. Here is a video of him showing it.
ZenithPhantasm
This topic is thumb. OP lacks creativity nor did he give any effort in explaining his situation. What do you expect?
Risa
Sounds fun tbh.
Endaris

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

This topic is thumb. OP lacks creativity nor did he give any effort in explaining his situation. What do you expect?
^

Invasion of productive GD/OT-users! *runs*
Railey2

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

This topic is dumb. OP lacks creativity nor did he give any effort in explaining his situation. What do you expect?
If you cant do anything with what he gave you, then it is you who lacks creativity. For instance, you could go on about modifications concerning pen/pengrip/tablet/keyboard/general setup, that somehow increase the players feeling of stability.

The OP was sufficiently well explained, actually the headline would have been enough already, since his objective of wanting to play better is pretty much a given. "Is doing thing X good, if I want to achieve thing Y ?" Thats all he asked, thats all you need. It doesn't even need to be creative.
Looks like you are making excuses to me.

And to answer your question, I expect people to be helpful here. They are free to post shit on Off-topic.
ZenithPhantasm

Railey2 wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

This topic is dumb. OP lacks creativity nor did he give any effort in explaining his situation. What do you expect?
If you cant do anything with what he gave you, then it is you who lacks creativity. For instance, you could go on about modifications concerning pen/pengrip/tablet/keyboard/general setup, that somehow increase the players feeling of stability.

The OP was sufficiently well explained, actually the headline would have been enough already, since his objective of wanting to play better is pretty much a given. "Is doing thing X good, if I want to achieve thing Y ?" Thats all he asked, thats all you need. It doesn't even need to be creative.

And to answer your question, I expect people to be helpful here. They are free to post shit on Off-topic.
Have you ever heard of the phrase "figure it out yourself?"
Saphirshroom

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

They should make some kind of machine learning shitposter that associates with each OP a certain value based on previous topics and their answers. If said value is big enough, the system replies with "play more" or "try it out, your hands are not ours" and locks the thread.
Railey2

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

This mindset undermines the whole purpose of this forum. You've been here for long enough to understand what this forum is all about, so I am quite shocked that you still roam this place with a view that is the complete opposite of this forums intention. Seriously, what would this place be for if you just answer everything with "figure it out yourself", or "fuck you, nobody cares"? A place to bully new players and boast off your superiority as an older player? That sounds like a lot of fun, don't you think.
buny
are you gonna have a cry about it?

this is a subjective question, there is no objective answer. The clear answer is do whatever you want, nobody can tell you what is comfortable for yourself. You either try it out and like it (or not), or don't do it at all. You don't ask people what they think about your own comfort

When a player asks which playstyle is better, you tell them it's preference. Because it is preference. Anyone thinking otherwise has a bias or complex.
ZenithPhantasm
This whole subforum is more often than not clueless people who can not figure out the simplest questions by themselves even with the world's knowledge at the tips of their fingertips (do u even google?)
The Gambler
You'd waste tape every time you want to play. Use rubber bands instead.

Or glue it to a glove.
Railey2

a loli wrote:

are you gonna have a cry about it?

this is a subjective question, there is no objective answer. The clear answer is do whatever you want, nobody can tell you what is comfortable for yourself. You either try it out and like it (or not), or don't do it at all. You don't ask people what they think about your own comfort

When a player asks which playstyle is better, you tell them it's preference. Because it is preference. Anyone thinking otherwise has a bias or complex.
So are you the sort of person that would argue that taping the pen to your elbow is still not an inferior playstyle, because after all.. it is subjective?

Things like enjoyment are subjective, but things like the efficiency of a method in preventing your pen to slip away, without the same method having negative trade-offs, is not.

Explanation
SPOILER
Overall, some ways are going to work better than others, taping your pen to your elbow wont make you a better player, and there are objectively better and more elegant ways to increase stability than taping your pen to your hand.

While taping it to your hand may help you in not slipping, it also restricts your ability to do (lets call them) micro-adjustments. Tiny little changes that each player intuitively makes to increase comfort - you won't be able to do those with your pen taped to your hand. This is an objective disadvantage when it comes to your ability to perform well at osu. You will also get a sort of alienated feeling because your pen is no longer a mobile part. Instead of a tool, it will start to feel like a weird extension of your fingers that is not supposed to be there.

The thing Rohulk did with his pen has the same advantage in preventing him from slipping, while not having the negative trade-off that the pen taped to your hand brings with it. Thus, it is the better method and should be recommended over the tape-pen.

This is objective, not subjective.

Does that mean that he cant enjoy playing with his pen taped to his elbow better, subjectively? No, of course not. Why would I know what he enjoys. He may be totally in love with tapes. But no, taping his pen to whatever places of his body won't make him a better player compared to him just putting rubber bands on his pen to prevent slipping, so this is what I am telling him. It is too much effort, it has too many disadvantages, there are better and more elegant ways to go about this, so he should to do something else instead.

If you deny all objectivity, you are denying reality. Some ways are better than others, in the overwhelming majority of cases. Even if there is one player out there who would genuinely play better with his pen taped to his hand, you'd still have to weight that one player in comparison to all the players where rubber bands would work better. Conclusion: Rubber bands work better, not subjectively, go on and recommend that rubber bands instead of tape.
And why I am not able to magically know what will be most comfortable for him, I can still make educated guesses based on human anatomy and our brains ability to handle certain setups better than others. He wont enjoy playing with his pen taped to his hand, most likely.
Its not that complicated.

And yes, enjoyment is still subjective. I'm not disagreeing with that. But functionality is not subjective in this case. It is a method that is too unlikely to work. The utter lack of players playing with pens taped to hands is a testament to that objective fact as well.
ZenithPhantasm
Or use sugru
Railey2

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

This whole subforum is more often than not clueless people who can not figure out the simplest questions by themselves even with the world's knowledge at the tips of their fingertips (do u even google?)
Then help them out instead of acting like a diva. You can kindly point them to the right direction where they can find information by themselves the next time around, while still being helpful. We all started out one day not knowing much about the game, this forums structure or locations of places where you find all the information you need.
Granted, some users are exceptionally lazy when it comes to reading up to other threads, but that still doesn't legitimize you acting like a condescending douche when someone is simply asking for a bit of help or information.
And in this thread, the topic at hand seemed to be legitimately new, but that didn't stop you either.
buny
OP never said elbows, he said taping it to his fingers, which may or may not be better for a normal player depending on if you needed the added support from the tape. Nobody can deduct for OP if this is a meaningful method for him, he has to do it himself. Of course some methods are simply superior because you're going out of your way to take something so extreme that aren't using your basic natural skills.

How the fuck are you measuring efficiency of a method, other than from personal experience, hence personal IMPLIES the subjectiveness.

this conversation isn't going anywhere if you're going to take everything everybody says to the extreme to boost your own argument, or to discredit my argument. That's called a fallacy
ZenithPhantasm
Railey2

a loli wrote:

OP never said elbows, he said taping it to his fingers, which may or may not be better for a normal player depending on if you needed the added support from the tape. Nobody can deduct for OP if this is a meaningful method for him, he has to do it himself. Of course some methods are simply superior because you're going out of your way to take something so extreme that aren't using your basic natural skills.
The elbow was a counter-example to your claim that there is no objectivity when it comes to the efficiency of different methods in accomplishing the goal of getting better at osu. The same applies to taping your pen to your hand, although to a lesser degree. I can read, trust me. I know that he didn't say elbow. I was just pointing out things in a more obvious way because some people fail to see it.

a loli wrote:

How the fuck are you measuring efficiency of a method, other than from personal experience, hence personal IMPLIES the subjectiveness.
no thats not how it works.
Lets say you are driving a BMW i8, and I am driving a Ford Model T, then we get on the Autobahn and have a race. Your BMW can drive over 200km/h and I cant even get over a 100 without my car falling apart. You obviously win the race, because my car is from 1908 and just can not compete. Your victory is our subjective experience, and yet my car being way slower than yours is an objective fact about reality.

It works the same with the pen-tape. If he goes ahead and does the pen-tape, he will subjectively experience that this method is worse than using rubber bands. However, we can predict that the overwhelming majority will experience it that way (few exceptions), because rubber bands are objectively better suited to fit peoples needs when they play osu. His bad experience or failure to adapt to the tape-playstyle would be my loss at the car-race, rubber bands being superior to tape would be the BMW being objectively better at racing than the Ford.

It makes sense to tell him that the BMW is better than the Ford beforehand, after all that is what he asked with his initial question. It also makes sense to tell him exactly why and how it is better, by listing the disadvantages that the Ford has compared to the BMW (restricted movement, alienated feeling, too much effort, you also look too much like a tryhard taping your pen to your hand).

I see the terms objective and subjective misused very frequently. I hope it got a bit clearer with the car-analogy.
show more