forum

Scariest game you have ever played.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Firo Prochainezo
I made this topic for Lunah. <3

My scariest game was Silent Hill 3 (when I played it the first time with no lights on of course).
adam2046
Clock Tower for the SNES is still the scariest game ever.
twistedice
Fatal Frame is probably the scariest game I ever played.
Remco32

adam2046 wrote:

Is it still scary if you would play it in this day and age?
Mogsy
I'd say that it would be a tie between Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly for me. Silent Hill 2 for meandering throughout the worst parts of your psyche, scaring you due to the atmosphere never letting go of any tension (it doesn't even need enemies on screen to terrify oneself). Fatal Frame 2 for combining jump scares, atmospheric horror, and spirit-related horror in bone-chilling ways. Most of both of these series are insanely scary (let's forget about Silent Hill being scary at all after 4), but in both series, the second game seems to be the paramount of their frightening capabilities.
adam2046

Remco32 wrote:

adam2046 wrote:

Is it still scary if you would play it in this day and age?
I only ever played it via translation on an emulator.
Meikyuuiri Tsumi
Fatal Frame 2 for sure. Other than that, a tie between Silent Hill(first) and Condemned(first).
Mara
I haven't played so many horror games, so I have to answer just Condemned: Criminal Origins. It was creepy.
Behon
Wow, I thought I would be the only one to answer Condemned. I was on edge the entire time I played that game.
Vain Vair
To me the "Penumbra" games (Mainly Penumbra Overture) are so scary that at one point I had to pause the game and run out of the room out of sheer horror :o and it takes a lot to make ME do that (I watch a lot of horror films but find most of them not that scary)

I have not tried the new game "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" but I hear it's just as scary.

Other then a few games that gave me jump scares (FEAR, Dead Space, STALKER) that's about it
Zerostarry
Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask

Topic Starter
Firo Prochainezo

Zerostarry wrote:

;~; I hate you.

I have not tried the new game "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" but I hear it's just as scary.
Amnesia is fucking scary. Didn't play it (I have the game though) because I'm too scared.
awp

Mogsworth wrote:

Silent Hill 2 for meandering throughout the worst parts of your psyche, scaring you due to the atmosphere never letting go of any tension (it doesn't even need enemies on screen to terrify oneself)
When I first dove into Silent Hill 2 I was using a pirated PAL ISO on my NTSC PS2, which made it even scarier. It was in black and white (something I thought was actually part of the game and not a formatting bug) and everything was darker than it should be. When I was wandering the halls in that hotel, if I wasn't in a lighted area the screen was PITCH BLACK and enemies were really difficult to see (but still very easy to hear) and so that set the tension even higher
Mogsy

Zerostarry wrote:

Creepy? Yes. Scary? Not by a longshot.
Sallad4ever
+1 to fatal frame 2 and Silent Hill 2

Mogsworth pretty much say why this is very scary, but if I might add the game play using camera obscura too exorcise the ghost is another element that make this games/series even scarier. Well maybe the slow movement of the character is kind of annoying but you'll get used to it.
As for Silent Hill 2 I've also got the pirated PAL ISO, it's funny how a black and white picture can really boost the scariness of the game.Btw Fatal Frame 3 also used this
Topic Starter
Firo Prochainezo

awp wrote:

When I first dove into Silent Hill 2 I was using a pirated PAL ISO on my NTSC PS2, which made it even scarier. It was in black and white (something I thought was actually part of the game and not a formatting bug) and everything was darker than it should be. When I was wandering the halls in that hotel, if I wasn't in a lighted area the screen was PITCH BLACK and enemies were really difficult to see (but still very easy to hear) and so that set the tension even higher
I should try that.
mm201

Zerostarry wrote:

Having not played the game, I didn't realize this was a ROM hack at first.

Even still, now I HAVE to play it!
Zekira
^ lol
Rolled
Early resident evil series did horror games better than anybody else. It's a shame I pretty much know every window that breaks, car door that slams open, cutscenes, and pretty much every other scary aspect of the game like the back of my hand. I'd assume that even if you'd play RE 1 2 or 3 today you'll still at least jump a few times.

Other than that, a slightly more recent game, is Manhunt for the PS2. Its a pretty unknown game, but I remember it being pretty fucking scary. We're talking guys with baseball bats and clown masks creeping around corners when you have to remain stealthy so you can suffocate them with a bag, slit their throat, etc. It's an awesome game and I recommend it to anybody who can get their hands on it.
maay
Uhm, I played Zelda OoT back when I was 9 or so, and I had my older sister pass the forest/shadow temples for me because I was too scared >:

I had her defeat Dark Link and those ReDeads for me as well. Damn.
show more