forum

Mouse with 2 vertically placed sensors

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DiSSneyVACation
Hey guys, I have a question: Why is there still no mouse out there that uses 2 vertically placed sensors to counteract the drift that occurs when you move the mouse "in a circle motion" for horizontal movement? (basically wrist with static wrist position)
Are there any specific difficulties other than calculating the goddamn vertical distance that needs to be corrected or is there simply not enough demand due to only a few games like osu actually having this phenomenon as problem?

I am genuinely interested because there are mice out there that do have 2 sensors.. but not for this objective.

And in case my thought process is incorrect: is there any other possibility to solve this issue on a hardware level?

Also: Don't come with "get used to it" or "git gud" or whatever, I already am used to it and will continue to get better anyway but this is the only issue that makes me feel as if i have to learn tablet for longer maps with no breaks.
KrocketKarma
drift that occurs when you move the mouse "in a circle motion" for horizontal movement?
Could you explain this more?
Topic Starter
DiSSneyVACation
put your hand on your mouse. then make sure nothing of your arm moves. only move the wrist and try to move the cursor in a straight line. look at the mouse and you know what i mean (i hope)
a1l2d3r4e5d6
So basically, you're wondering why there aren't any mice out there that uses multiple sensors to counteract the 'mouse drift' phenomenon? Correct me if I'm wrong.
DeletedUser_3905941
you really should go into hardware engineering before deciding blindly that two sensors will magically combat mouse drift
Railey2
a cross-like sensor could work. Or maybe not. My spacial intelligence is about as good as a 2 year olds. I'm happy when I don't get lost on the same way that I walk for 3 months, and I swear its just 15 minutes and 3 turns.
Topic Starter
DiSSneyVACation
Redpanda you seem full of it. I didnt decide anything, I was wondering if it could work and if , why nobody did it yet.
If it doesnt work i want to know why from someone who understands it better (who might actually be in hardware engineering or similar.)
And im definitely not going into hardware engineering over something like this.

Yes, Im wondering why there arent mice counteracting at least this type of drift. (You cant counteract all types anyway, its impossible :/ )

Please enlighten me if possible. I didnt open this thread for bashing.
Sayorie
I've been an FPS gamer for a quite a long time now, and even before I had my dedicated gaming mouse, I've been using all kinds of crappy mice, and I never experienced this 'mouse drifting' that you are talking about.

Probably, it's either that I've become proficient with using a mouse that I did not experience such problem, or it might still be happening until now and I just never realized it--I just adjusted. Care to give me some video or links so that I can tell? I'm quite interested in this "drifting" thingy.
Railey2
It is because other games give you the time to adjust, while osu is absolutely merciless in that department.
Topic Starter
DiSSneyVACation
Arthraxium in FPS games and whatever other games there are out there, you usually have the time to actually lift the mouse while playing. Also if youre not playing with a stationary wrist mainly, the drift is close to nonexistant due to its very nature how it is created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dRFBNUB0g
In this video you can see the drift, however I have no idea how much of it is the mouse and the actual wrist movement (due to the mouse being open.. n stuff).
It's pretty much like that but depending on the map less or more extreme. Worst case for most amount of drift would be cross screen diagonal jumps swapping in opposite directions. That's only talking about angle movement drift, no other type. (Others are going to add on top of this)
Houtarou Oreki
Mouse drift is just not that BIG of a problem, so making mice like this could be kind of not worth it.. Tho it'd probably be more useful than all these mice with 10 or more buttons.