forum

Should I wait to use HD while using HR?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XBlade
I recently (yesterday as a matter of fact) started playing with HDHR. Although this jump in difficulty level seems quite ludicrous for someone like me.. Only rank 15kish. I'm playing songs with these mods that are around 5 stars (after calculations from HR) and I seem to be doing alright. My accuracy is actually quite nice without HR so I decided to try it out... With HD as an added bonus. I seem to be doing alright for someone who has never used HR before ever and especially throwing HD into consideration. I've been able to FC one song so far at about 5.08 stars after HR difficulty calculations. And had an accuracy of about 95% (and even got rank 44 on the song) I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try using HD before completely mastering HR. I'm not sure if that would build any bad habits or not. Would really appreciate feedback, especially from experienced HDHR players :)

For anyone who's curious this is the beat map I used as an example above: Insane difficulty
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/200044&m=0
Risa
Play both HR and HDHR.
U dont have to master HR before going HDHR.
I used to exclusivly spam HDHR and couldnt do HR-only after a few months. Took some time to readjust
chainpullz
Make sure you can actually read difficult patterns (up to 6* and beyond) before bothering with hdhr imo. Trying to learn basic reading with HDHR is basically just wasting time since you don't get as good of feedback on what you did wrong. Once you are able to read a difficulty well nomod you will be able to actually see what you did wrong when you misread something with HDHR and improve upon it.

Also, if tv sizes are the only thing you can play well then you have a long way to go. For consistency sake I recommend playing 3+ minute maps. Also, if you play much below 5* then all you are really getting much practice on is single tapping. Most maps in the 5* neighborhood and beyond will give ample opportunities to practice single tapping (especially longer maps) while also introducing you to non-basic patterns.

TL;DR: If your reading sucks then work on that before you worry about HR/HDHR.
Topic Starter
XBlade
I can read most patterns upwards from 6 stars unless the map intentionally incredibly overmapped. I usually get around 94%+ on anything 6-6.5 stars. Reading never really had been an issue for me. As far as TV sizes, that's the only map I've FC'd. I have beaten plenty of maps that are 2-5 minutes in length, but my consistency isn't near good enough yet to FC those.
chainpullz

userxblade wrote:

I have beaten plenty of maps that are 2-5 minutes in length, but my consistency isn't near good enough yet to FC those.
Should practice more long maps then. It makes fc'ing tv sizes seem like a joke once you start getting more consistent. Most of my tv size plays are like within the first 3 reads and I consider my reading to be pretty trash (compared to my ideal). I certainly won't advise you against jumping into HR/HDHR if you believe you are ready for it since, given the knowledge to make a proper decision on the matter, you know better than anyone else on these forums if you are ready.

Just saying this because I'm sure a bunch of people (who aren't experienced with the mods) will jump in here pretty soon saying "don't play with mods until rank 1k" or some shit. As long as your reading is good enough that you can identify your mistakes in real time you should be able to benefit from practicing it. It might take a long time to actually become proficient at the mods but focusing purely on consistency, not retrying (unless irreparably off rhythm), and playing sufficiently long maps will go a long ways towards minimizing this.

I do recommend continuing to mix in challenging nomod maps every now and then even when focusing on hdhr though. It's a good way to kick back and keeps your big aim from getting too rusty.
Topic Starter
XBlade
I do feel like I'm ready to start playing HR/HDHR. I mean, my accuracy without the mods even on high difficulty maps is pretty good. (hell I've beaten 3 or 4 seven star maps with around 90% accuracy.) though not amazing accuracy, I feel like that's pretty decent for my own skill level. The major point of the thread though was to find out if using HD before mastering HR would build any bad habits. although your advice thus far is appreciated and I will use that, thanks :)
Endaris

chainpullz wrote:

Just saying this because I'm sure a bunch of people (who aren't experienced with the mods) will jump in here pretty soon saying "don't play with mods until rank 1k" or some shit.
HA!
Don't be an idiot until rank 1k or in different wording: Keep playing nomod even if you practice a mod
As already mentioned HDHR and HR are still quite a different thing.
Another common tip for learning stacks on high AR is to remove followpoints so you get really familiar with the approachrate instead of using followpoints for orientation(that's how I play HR and I can't recommend it xd).
As long as you aren't perfectly fine with the AR it's very very hard to handle the high OD.
HD on top of HR actually softens the AR which keeps you from learning how to deal with the AR which is why I'd recommend you to stick to HR without followpoints for a while.

Maybe you should try to get good at HD-only too
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Just saying this because I'm sure a bunch of people (who aren't experienced with the mods) will jump in here pretty soon saying "don't play with mods until rank 1k" or some shit.
HA!
Don't be an idiot until rank 1k or in different wording: Keep playing nomod even if you practice a mod
As already mentioned HDHR and HR are still quite a different thing.
Another common tip for learning stacks on high AR is to remove followpoints so you get really familiar with the approachrate instead of using followpoints for orientation(that's how I play HR and I can't recommend it xd).
As long as you aren't perfectly fine with the AR it's very very hard to handle the high OD.
HD on top of HR actually softens the AR which keeps you from learning how to deal with the AR which is why I'd recommend you to stick to HR without followpoints for a while.

Maybe you should try to get good at HD-only too
Or just be a real man and don't use followpoints with hidden? Might as well be cheating. The only reason I don't use them is my aim is already good enough that there is no point dealing with the extra clusterfuck of lines on the screen. Also, if you play HR worse without hidden you are doing it wrong.
I Give Up
Sometime it is easier to HD it first, sometime HR. I don't understand this game.
buny
HDHR for that sweet sweet pp

HD doesn't really increase the difficulty much unless it's some mindfuck map. If you struggle without approach circles then don't use HD
RaneFire
At first, just add mods if the map seems to cater for them. Keep it in the back of your mind while playing normally, "Hey, this is really easy to read! I could HD this!" That's how you start. Think about it in terms of skill progression. Challenge yourself to learn new aspects of the game, but don't be ridiculous about map selection. There's no need to wait to use any mod combinations.

I know some maps seem just as easy to HR as they are to HD, and thus quite easy to HD+HR. So if that's the case then do it. All I am saying is you should get a feeling for playing with mods, instead of just adding them according to a program you wrote out for yourself. You'll enjoy the game more as well.
Beafowl
Well when I started playing I immediately used hidden and never played no-mod, and after a year I started with HDHR. Just telling my experience :3