forum

One Month of Osu! (So many questions... and Experiences xD)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SilverBlade128
Hi Everyone, this is my very first thread and as the subject suggests, It's already been one month of playing osu! for me and let me explain to you my experiences. Just today, I watched Pewdiepie's video of playing osu! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRMMR4XU5s and Wow xD, coz we joined osu! nearly the same day and watching his video really reminded me of how I play when I was just getting started in osu! And to give you a DETAILED information about my newbie experiences in osu!, here it is

My Embarrassing Experiences and Failures in Osu!
1.Worse than actual new players. If you already watched his video (or still watching), he's ignoring the approach circles and not handling the mouse well. Why am I telling you this even though that's just normal for new players? coz I'm friggin worse. First of all, I don't know what approach circles do. I even thought that I need to press the circles before that approach circles hit them

2.Dude, there's a tutorial map. USE IT! As silly as it sounds but I don't know where it is xD. I've even searched on google on where to find it and it says it's on the game itself but sadly, my first tutorial was on youtube and I only found the map after I watched the video

3.The Tutorial map is Super Easy :) That's not the case for me. I even got a friggin D on the map lol and I don't know why.

4.Spinners are gifts. NO! coz I Really (x10) Suck at Spinners! Just spin the mouse dude. I am and I'm using all my arm strength in it but I only get 100 and 50 (rarely a 300 with no additional pts of course :| ) and after I spin, my arm would get very exhausted and I'll lose the combo :x .

5. Easy Maps are well... Easy! Having read the past experiences, You guys might as well already know the answer... NO! My hands would always get nervous and even though they're easy to hit, they're not >:( >:( >:( . I had these weird habits and they would start ruining the game.

Mooooving on, I've read threads that says you'll get better through practice overtime and you won't even notice it and to my suprise, it's actually true. Even though I can only complete up to 3 star maps, actually very proud on my current progress being a Rubber Dome and Mouse user. 8-) 8-) 8-)
I'm currently starting to practice streaming (yep, with a rubber dome keyboard and it won't let me down) coz I only encounter triples to which I only alternate to :o And Finally, here are my questions and I won't blame you if you can't answer them all :D

Questions:

1. What do you think of my equipment? and how far will it take me? (I'm not talking about ranks, just how far will I progress in the difficulties)

2. How long do you think it will take me to stream properly and complete insane maps? (months)

3. What (Anime) Beatmaps do you recommend to practice streaming and all? (sry to be picky, but I also want to enjoy the beat while practicing xD)

4. And Bonus Question, what do you think of my experiences? did you guys also had the same experiences? ;) ;) ;)

On a Side Note, I would just like to clarify that I'm not aiming for ranks ;) I just started playing osu! for fun and to relieve me from the stress I get from school :P (so many homeworks and projects nowadays :? ) and would like to challenge myself to do these fast beatmaps to make sure my time in osu! is not wasted.

"I aim for Progress, not Ranks" 8-) 8-) 8-)
-SilverBlade128
buny
cringe blog dumb questions

anything is possible, nobody knows, and nearly every single beatmap is anime
Endaris
1.Even very bad equipment will take you at least to 1.6k pp, probably more. That's roughly how far I got and my mouse even had serious sensitivity issues and sometimes didn't react at all. I couldve went even further I think
2. Depends on how much you play more around half a year.
3. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/62740 Insane-Diff. It's actually useless to think about streaming at your level of gameplay as you won't encounter real streams below 3.5* of star difficulty. The "easiest" "stream"map I know is this hard-diff https://osu.ppy.sh/s/107131 (2.9*) with streams so slow that most people would singletap them.
4. It's not unusual to get a D on the tutorial upon first playthrough.

I recommend you taking a look at the ways of organising and searching beatmap in client:
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Interface#Song_Selection_Screen
There's a lot of information on the wiki so...just use it.
Topic Starter
SilverBlade128

a loli wrote:

cringe blog dumb questions

anything is possible, nobody knows, and nearly every single beatmap is anime
Maybe dumb questions but as long as it's answerable then yeah! :D :D :D

True, but not all song are so I still specified
KanoSet
I had rough time with the tutorial as well.. I still find it funny
you have a wrong idea about mice and rubber dome keyboards.. you just need a good mouse and keyboard to get going
believe it or not some people prefer rubber dome over mech keyboards
and there pro players plays with mouse as well.. of course tablet may have an advantage but mice aren't inferior to tablets
and I got to 20k ranks with a 15$ mouse and keyboard before I got a mech keyboard and a decent mouse
improvement process is defernt from a person to another.. it depends on you I'm still horrible with streams :cry:
play whatever songs you like and have fun :)
Roxy Lalonde
1.) Your equipment should get you through all the way to 4000 pp and beyond tbh.

2.) It really depends on how you take on the game, there are things called "habits" and "skillsets" which players tend to develop uniquely and improve in their own fashion. In terms of streaming... you have to be sure you develop tapping confidence and rhythm over several other aspects. Long explanation made short, you are far far too early to start specifically focusing on practicing streams. Keep playing. (more)

3.) homosuck homestuck best anime play Negastrife marathon get 300 pp

4.) the bad times have only just begun
VirtualMuffin
When I first started i kept failing normals. Easy's i wouldn't full combo. You certainly aren't the worst person to start playing osu. I started off extremely badly and I am very confident that I'm better than anyone starting from scratch (even if they may not take long to surpass me)

Just enjoy the game and providing you play a lot, top 100k will come quickly I assure you.
iderekmc
i've played for 2.5 years and i cant stream at all XD
I Give Up
1. At least #3k and well over 4000pp I am proof.

2. Months.

3. I like map play all map.
Topic Starter
SilverBlade128
Wow! you guys are super amazing xD

I'll practice more to be like you guys :D

At least it made me feel relieved that my experiences are normal and very bad equipments don't really hold you back . And yeah, maybe I'm rushing things and may be taking things a little too fast. I'll take your advices and take things slowly :) :) :) . But I'll still challenge myself and do hard maps lol 8-)

Maybe I'm not cut out to stream yet but I'll practice doubles and triples at the mean time.

"Progress is out there" 8-) 8-) 8-)
-SilverBlade128
Insyni
1. It all depends on the quality of your mouse. A good mouse will get you very far, a bad mouse will get you to about ~1600-1700pp (like Endaris said). You can probably get further with a bad mouse, but you would have to play quite a bit to compensate for your mouse.

2. Assuming you have a good mouse, playing purely stream maps for about 12k plays should (probably) make you decent/good at them. It all depends how fast you are naturally and whether or not you can willingly change between slower and faster bpms.

3. Nyanyanyanyanyan Collab version. Though don't do it if you are spamming. You are spamming if you are rapidly hitting the z and x keys instead of rapidly hitting the z and x keys with rhythm.

Also, Nyan cat is animated and (I think) from Japan, therefore anime. Logic is wonderful. I hope there is not a logical fallacy here.
Kor3ry3-Kun
I played Osu! For 8 months now and it mostly practice. If I didn't practice a lot I would have decayed a long time now but my experience with mouse (Windows Wireless Mouse) is terrible. I had to change the mouse sensitivity in game and random misses happen everytime I tried to fc stuff with mods (Mostly HD). Spinner is also an issue but I would rotate anticlockwise with small circles. When I first play osu (before this account was made) I didn't know what to do so I ended up decaying a lot. I would suggest not clicking the mouse and use z and x or your preference key choice. After reaching about 80k I switched to tablet and tried hovering but couldn't fc a song and spinning was hard. I start dragging and that's when I'm in the flow (with a Windows wireless Keyboard and the Huion H420 Tablet). Also start of slow and build on.

Hope this will help
Topic Starter
SilverBlade128
Oh btw I use a wired 800 DPI mouse (sry I didn't specify earlier)
Is this level of DPI commonly used? or are higher DPI mice better? (I still believe in Wired>Wireless though coz of experience with wireless)

And I still can't afford to buy better equipment though :| but I'll compensate for it with practice 8-)
Endaris
It doesn't matter what dpi it has. Its tracking quality matters.
Topic Starter
SilverBlade128

Endaris wrote:

Noted. Thanks :)
based god lil b
autism xD
ZenithPhantasm

based god lil b wrote:

autism xD
this
ZenithPhantasm

Endaris wrote:

and shape
toto2379
3. Here's a "stream" map for you : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/10818

Honestly, I still have trouble to FC that map even though I got S rank on maps with higher star ratings(such as 2.5-2.75*)