forum

How To Improve At 4K?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo
I can A or S any 4 stars but I'm kinda annoyed that even I practiced for almost 2 years already, I still can't play any 5 stars and my rank got stuck on 9k :?
Any recommendation? It will be a great help :)
buny
try posting in 107
Hinpoppo

xShadow28x wrote:

I can A or S any 4 stars but I'm kinda annoyed that even I practiced for almost 2 years already, I still can't play any 5 stars and my rank got stuck on 9k :?
Any recommendation? It will be a great help :)
Play more and make observations on how you play and how the game is made is pretty much it, unless you're going to specify.
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo

Hinpoppo wrote:

Play more and make observations on how you play and how the game is made is pretty much it, unless you're going to specify.
My fingers are not fast enough to hit fast notes especially jacks and mini jacks *sigh* :( My fingers always miss click and click other keys (Maybe my finger positioning and play style sucks) My stamina and accuracy is quite good but it's not enough...
Hinpoppo

xShadow28x wrote:

Hinpoppo wrote:

My fingers are not fast enough to hit fast notes especially jacks and mini jacks *sigh* :( My fingers always miss click and click other keys (Maybe my finger positioning and play style sucks) My stamina and accuracy is quite good but it's not enough...
All I can say is to try to push yourself. The speed at which you play increases only when you test that aspect of your play. If you play for accuracy, you won't be able to properly play fast things unless you increase in difficulty. When I first started, I was thinking of only passing songs that were way too hard for me; I couldn't play any two star songs with an S to save my life, but I could get 85% on 3.5 star songs, and I was satisfied with that. The mindset I had adapted was "Gotta go faster, faster, faster", and it led me to only get 89% on songs for a very long time, albeit very impressive for my level. In turn, I would not be able to S anything, and people would think I was shit when it came to do easy songs. To sum this story up, I focused too much on speed and it lead me to have massive issues with accuracy for a long while. In my opinion, being better at something usually goes back to your psychological wants.

Now why this story? The moral was the best way to learn to do something is when you feel immersed / enjoy the action of which you are trying to improve. It comes naturally with practice. If you really want to improve your speed, of course, you need to play things that are at your top potential speed; if I can suggest, find a BPM range you feel moderately comfortable with, but cannot really focus on accuracy when going at that speed. I suggest anything low-A able should be your training ground. Most importantly though, find a set of maps you feel comfortable with in practicing your lacking skills. Another thing which I would have to say once more is very important, but can be hard to achieve, is to immerse yourself into the mindset that corresponds with your wanted improvement. Although this is very difficult and no one person can necessarily tell you how aside from giving them their experiences, it is, in my opinion, the most important thing to creating success in any domain in life. You wont learn a language any better than living in a community who speak that language, and you won't truly learn Math unless you really immerse yourself / understand. If need be, circle yourself with a bunch of speedholics and practice with them, although this is something I wish I could do and have never done. If you do not like playing for speed, unfortunately, it will come slowly since you will be reluctant to trying your best. I may have gotten the wrong message and / or sent the wrong message across, but if your focus is accuracy, it is most likely cause you have played it more. It's as simple as that.

When it comes to VSRG, the best way, from my experience to give advice is not advice on how to play, but on advice on how to practice. Immersion is key, which no doubt means to play fast things you want to get better at.

Tl;Dr is that you will learn by playing fast, and that you should probably get into a habit of it if you really want to get better. I am currently pushing myself to do this for 7k, but "Immersion" is my problem; and the problem of most of the community in the way I use the word at hand.
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo

Hinpoppo wrote:

All I can say is to try to push yourself. The speed at which you play increases only when you test that aspect of your play. If you play for accuracy, you won't be able to properly play fast things unless you increase in difficulty. When I first started, I was thinking of only passing songs that were way too hard for me; I couldn't play any two star songs with an S to save my life, but I could get 85% on 3.5 star songs, and I was satisfied with that. The mindset I had adapted was "Gotta go faster, faster, faster", and it led me to only get 89% on songs for a very long time, albeit very impressive for my level. In turn, I would not be able to S anything, and people would think I was shit when it came to do easy songs. To sum this story up, I focused too much on speed and it lead me to have massive issues with accuracy for a long while. In my opinion, being better at something usually goes back to your psychological wants.

Now why this story? The moral was the best way to learn to do something is when you feel immersed / enjoy the action of which you are trying to improve. It comes naturally with practice. If you really want to improve your speed, of course, you need to play things that are at your top potential speed; if I can suggest, find a BPM range you feel moderately comfortable with, but cannot really focus on accuracy when going at that speed. I suggest anything low-A able should be your training ground. Most importantly though, find a set of maps you feel comfortable with in practicing your lacking skills. Another thing which I would have to say once more is very important, but can be hard to achieve, is to immerse yourself into the mindset that corresponds with your wanted improvement. Although this is very difficult and no one person can necessarily tell you how aside from giving them their experiences, it is, in my opinion, the most important thing to creating success in any domain in life. You wont learn a language any better than living in a community who speak that language, and you won't truly learn Math unless you really immerse yourself / understand. If need be, circle yourself with a bunch of speedholics and practice with them, although this is something I wish I could do and have never done. If you do not like playing for speed, unfortunately, it will come slowly since you will be reluctant to trying your best. I may have gotten the wrong message and / or sent the wrong message across, but if your focus is accuracy, it is most likely cause you have played it more. It's as simple as that.

When it comes to VSRG, the best way, from my experience to give advice is not advice on how to play, but on advice on how to practice. Immersion is key, which no doubt means to play fast things you want to get better at.

Tl;Dr is that you will learn by playing fast, and that you should probably get into a habit of it if you really want to get better. I am currently pushing myself to do this for 7k, but "Immersion" is my problem; and the problem of most of the community in the way I use the word at hand.

I'll try your advice and do my best, very helpful :) I already found a "training ground" for 4k and I'm doing physical exercises, which dramatically makes my fingers faster :D My problem now is accuracy and 6k,7k,8k,9k skills xD Thanks for the reply tho :)
Bobbias
There are a few things to focus on to help improve speed. First off, try to make sure you're hitting the keys lightly, not really smashing them, because when you hit too hard, it slows you down. Second, you should make sure it's not a reading problem holding your speed back. When reading is holding your speed back, it's because you can still read the pattern, but it takes just a little but too long to figure it out and you don't have enough time to actually respond to the pattern properly. When this happens it feels like your fingers are too slow, so it's hard to tell without doing some experiments to see if that's the case. Try reducing visual clutter by disabling judgements and combo with shift+tab. Also make sure you have backgrounds dimmed and use a skin without flashy lights all over. You might also want to experiment with increasing your scroll speed, but if you do that, you'll need to play at the new speed until you've completely adjusted to it before you'll be able to see any change.

And yes, Hinpopo is right about what you focus on. If you focus only on accuracy, you will not be used to pushing yourself to play stuff that's above your comfort zone, which can make it very hard to move up to higher difficulty maps. Meanwhile focusing on speed will leave your accuracy poor.
Tokiiwa
i personally find that playing multi slows you down a lot, you're either going to get maps that aren't ideal for you to train on or you have to wait long enough for your fingers to stop being warmed up

play more solo, play songs that you like - set goals but don't tell yourself 'i need to do this today' it just isn't going to happen and will just let you down

the more frequent you play songs that are hard in comparison to your skill level the more likely and earlier you are to break your skill walls

improvement is a bit of trial and error, so find what makes you play better and stick to doing that until you need to find another way to break your wall
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo

Bobbias wrote:

There are a few things to focus on to help improve speed. First off, try to make sure you're hitting the keys lightly, not really smashing them, because when you hit too hard, it slows you down. Second, you should make sure it's not a reading problem holding your speed back. When reading is holding your speed back, it's because you can still read the pattern, but it takes just a little but too long to figure it out and you don't have enough time to actually respond to the pattern properly. When this happens it feels like your fingers are too slow, so it's hard to tell without doing some experiments to see if that's the case. Try reducing visual clutter by disabling judgements and combo with shift+tab. Also make sure you have backgrounds dimmed and use a skin without flashy lights all over. You might also want to experiment with increasing your scroll speed, but if you do that, you'll need to play at the new speed until you've completely adjusted to it before you'll be able to see any change.

And yes, Hinpopo is right about what you focus on. If you focus only on accuracy, you will not be used to pushing yourself to play stuff that's above your comfort zone, which can make it very hard to move up to higher difficulty maps. Meanwhile focusing on speed will leave your accuracy poor.

Making my fingers light during gameplays is hard :? My fingers wont relax and constantly hardens and whenever my fingers lighten up, I miss click and click other keys :? Reading is not a problem for my speed *except for 6 stars and above maps*. I'm trying to balance out speed and accuracy or maybe focus on speed rather than accuracy so that I can improve faster. One of my major problems though is that when I play and got better, in the next day, my skills that improved are gone :o especially for accuracy. My time for osu!mania is very short because of studies and stuff, making my practice and improving very limited.

I'll try getting rid of visual clutters tho, it may help me a lot ;) Thanks for the suggestion :)

Tokiiwa wrote:

i personally find that playing multi slows you down a lot, you're either going to get maps that aren't ideal for you to train on or you have to wait long enough for your fingers to stop being warmed up

play more solo, play songs that you like - set goals but don't tell yourself 'i need to do this today' it just isn't going to happen and will just let you down

the more frequent you play songs that are hard in comparison to your skill level the more likely and earlier you are to break your skill walls

improvement is a bit of trial and error, so find what makes you play better and stick to doing that until you need to find another way to break your wall

Omg senpai noticed me :) Anyway, I only play multi for fun but if I want to improve, I usually go solo.

I usually play beatmaps that you or jhlee can S xD and putting No Fail. It trains my stamina and speed a lot but reading is the problem :?

Setting goals is a very helpful tip to do for all players in osu! which I do always. Anyways, Thx for the suggestion :)
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo
Map suggestions are welcomed here :)
abraker

xShadow28x wrote:

Assuming speed is the prob and not the reading, you can start with these:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/270826 - This mostly for practice for consistent jack + chord hitting
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/335078 - Practice at hitting faster jacks
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/440879 - Burst patterns
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/509459 - This map is good such that it requires speed and not stamina
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/763511 - Stream + Burst
Topic Starter
Kaleiodo

abraker wrote:

xShadow28x wrote:

Assuming speed is the prob and not the reading, you can start with these:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/270826 - This mostly for practice for consistent jack + chord hitting
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/335078 - Practice at hitting faster jacks
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/440879 - Burst patterns
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/509459 - This map is good such that it requires speed and not stamina
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/763511 - Stream + Burst

Dang, those are some good maps. I just saw that I suck at burst, too :? Reading-related training maps will be helpful too just to make sure :D
Thx for the suggestion :)
Babu24
i started playing in june as long as you practice and dont get frustrated you will improve