forum

What should i play?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vesrand
Recently i made 2 topics about playing techniques trying to find ideal way play this game. A way that is used by top players so i could stop developing bad habits and start practicing right technique. But didn't find anything besides "play more".
Ok. Then next question what should i play? I'm ok with my accuracy. As you can see in my profile i can play 5-5.3 stars with accuracy close to 99%. So now my goal is to improve my reading so i can read high bpm.
But my reading is not improving while i play. For last several month i improved my aim, accuracy and streaming speed. But not ability to read high bpm. So what should i play? AR7-8 maps? Insanes with easy mod? Hards with DT mod?
In my previous topic i said that i've been playing DT for several days and developed new way to look at patterns, so i was able to play DT with good accuracy. But that somehow ruined my aim so i stopped to play like that.
I'm in frustration now. I really want to play some high bpm maps that i really like. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/118068 for example.
Endaris
Play more.
If you want to get better at reading, play EZ(at advanced/hard first) or edit the maps to lower AR or play reading intensive maps like HW's Grimoire of Alice, BASARA, Rakujitsu Romance, Shinshuu Plains, Yoshiwara Lament etc.
ZenithPhantasm
Don't forget to play a bunch of chinese beatmaps. We all know HW/fanzhen mapping style is new meta.
Ninonuko

Vesrand wrote:

Ok. Then next question what should i play? I'm ok with my accuracy. As you can see in my profile i can play 5-5.3 stars with accuracy close to 99%. So now my goal is to improve my reading so i can read high bpm.
Practice finger control, you'll need it so bad on 5.5* and above.
If you can't play that ending part of 7 seven properly you'll be likely to struggle on 5.5* and above because it contains a lot of jump stack, jump stream, etc that will mess your finger control.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Don't forget to play a bunch of chinese beatmaps. We all know HW/fanzhen mapping style is new meta.
Fortunately, I'm full blooded Chinese so I have an advantage on that kind of map lol.
otoed1
Play while reading dank maymays.
Topic Starter
Vesrand

Endaris wrote:

Play more.
If you want to get better at reading, play EZ(at advanced/hard first) or edit the maps to lower AR or play reading intensive maps like HW's Grimoire of Alice, BASARA, Rakujitsu Romance, Shinshuu Plains, Yoshiwara Lament etc.
That didn't help :(
I played with EZ mod for hour or so and after that i couldn't play normally for some time.
KanoSet
i find playing everything very effective.. play everything you like
buny

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

pls kill me
Endaris

Vesrand wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Play more.
That didn't help :(
I played with EZ mod for hour or so and after that i couldn't play normally for some time.
lol
expecting results after 1 hour of playing EZ
kinda ignorant
Topic Starter
Vesrand

KanoSet wrote:

But i just discovered that playing high AR makes me worse at low AR and playing low AR makes me worse at high AR.

If that is truth then i should learn AR10 and just HR everything.

But anyway my problem is still unsolved. I still can't read and thus play some of my favorite high bpm maps no matter how i practice. Well its not like i even can't see where to click. I see all circles in what sequence they appear. But for some reason can't click on them.
Sophia
It's been two days, what the hell are you on.

Expecting results this fast borders on insanity.
Barusamikosu
The only thing that will make you bad at an AR is not playing it. From what I understand you're still new to playing DT. AR 9.6 takes a long time to get used to. It's still reaction for me personally and will be for a while.

As for "low" AR--if we're talking about actual low AR like 8 or under--it's probably that you aren't playing enough of it. Most people who think they've "become shit" at low AR were bad at it long before they started playing high AR. I'm not really seeing any low AR maps in your Recent Activity or Top Ranks (please correct me if I'm wrong) which seems to show that you just aren't playing it.

This is pretty much a long way to say "play more" but it's the only real solution.
chainpullz

a loli wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

pls kill me
Me2. This is the only map by either of those 2 mappers I care for. >_< https://osu.ppy.sh/b/427455
KanoSet

Vesrand wrote:

But anyway my problem is still unsolved. I still can't read and thus play some of my favorite high bpm maps no matter how i practice. Well its not like i even can't see where to click. I see all circles in what sequence they appear. But for some reason can't click on them.
if you can see a rabbit that doesn't mean you can catch it.. you need to be as fast and have control so you whenever the rabbit goes left or right you can keep up you got the point.. even a sharingan won't help
play more and pls enjoy the game.. and don't kill the rabbit pls :cry:

Edit: imo stick to ar9 mainly and play anything above if you enjoy the song
with time you will have good reading skills for anything > ar9 and still can read ar9 decently.. and by time i mean few months maybe it's different from person to another
whyterice

Vesrand wrote:

KanoSet wrote:

But i just discovered that playing high AR makes me worse at low AR and playing low AR makes me worse at high AR.

If that is truth then i should learn AR10 and just HR everything.

Do you play them much better if you edit the map to higher AR? If so I think it's your reading that needs work. If not your aim speed/clicking sped needs work
chainpullz
If you can actually play HR then your hit distribution should be tightly packed around the center (ie. low UR) and playing a lower ar (ie. ar9) won't make a difference since the drop in OD makes the common negative offset of lower AR negligible. It's never taken me more than a play or two to switch between ar9 and ar10. If your ar9 reading actually suffers it's because you sucked at reading ar9 to begin with.

Assuming a normal distribution centered at 0 ms with 97% acc on od10 95% of your hits are within ~20ms bubble. This means you would need to exceed a -10ms offset on od8 before your acc would even begin to suffer or -15ms offset on od7. Most maps that have od>8 also have ar>9 as well.

On the other hand, the only way to actually get good at HR is to play it a lot and slowly grind your acc from 88-90 to 97-100. If you choose to play HR I highly recommend staying away from tv sizes as much as possible and to play maps slightly below the difficulty you would play nomod (anything much below 5* is typically too single tap heavy and devoid of non-trivial patterns to really help with reading). Also, avoid relying on NF to get you through maps. It lets you slack off mentally. The increase in HP and OD will keep you from mashing your way to a pass on most maps.

Even if you do decide to pick up HR it's recommended you continue to play [even more] difficult nomod maps to push your aim/reading skills so you don't hit a wall where all you can do is acc easy maps (again why I recommend avoiding tv size and excessively easy maps when practicing HR).
Topic Starter
Vesrand

whyterice wrote:

Do you play them much better if you edit the map to higher AR? If so I think it's your reading that needs work. If not your aim speed/clicking sped needs work
Ok i just tested it. Hmm i'm not sure but it seems with AR9.5 i played them slightly better. It usually just several patterns in map that i cant do.
For example here https://osu.ppy.sh/b/112586 - for me this map is easy. I can even FC this except single spot: 3 triangles at beginning. I just cant click them. Everything else is super easy.
Same example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/188835 - easy map but i fail at squares.

chainpullz wrote:

If you can actually play HR then your hit distribution should be tightly packed around the center (ie. low UR) and playing a lower ar (ie. ar9) won't make a difference since the drop in OD makes the common negative offset of lower AR negligible. It's never taken me more than a play or two to switch between ar9 and ar10. If your ar9 reading actually suffers it's because you sucked at reading ar9 to begin with.

Assuming a normal distribution centered at 0 ms with 97% acc on od10 95% of your hits are within ~20ms bubble. This means you would need to exceed a -10ms offset on od8 before your acc would even begin to suffer or -15ms offset on od7. Most maps that have od>8 also have ar>9 as well.

On the other hand, the only way to actually get good at HR is to play it a lot and slowly grind your acc from 88-90 to 97-100. If you choose to play HR I highly recommend staying away from tv sizes as much as possible and to play maps slightly below the difficulty you would play nomod (anything much below 5* is typically too single tap heavy and devoid of non-trivial patterns to really help with reading). Also, avoid relying on NF to get you through maps. It lets you slack off mentally. The increase in HP and OD will keep you from mashing your way to a pass on most maps.

Even if you do decide to pick up HR it's recommended you continue to play [even more] difficult nomod maps to push your aim/reading skills so you don't hit a wall where all you can do is acc easy maps (again why I recommend avoiding tv size and excessively easy maps when practicing HR).
Thanks for advice. I think i'll try to stick around AR9 until i'll be able to play those maps i fail to read. And may be some DT to get comfortable with higher bpm.
whyterice

Vesrand wrote:

whyterice wrote:

Ok i just tested it. Hmm i'm not sure but it seems with AR9.5 i played them slightly better. It usually just several patterns in map that i cant do.
For example here https://osu.ppy.sh/b/112586 - for me this map is easy. I can even FC this except single spot: 3 triangles at beginning. I just cant click them. Everything else is super easy.
Same example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/188835 - easy map but i fail at squares.
One thing that helps me with squares and other patterns is to think of the location of the circle you're clicking right when you tap during the pattern (and making sure you're aiming at the location you think of and not cutting corners/getting lost). Not sure if it'll work for you, you could try square jump practice maps and see if it works. There's other things people do like look at a square as 2 lines or a triangle a 1 line and a circle, I think there is more info in the main improvement thread on this forum.