forum

[Archived] osu! crashes gpu drivers and causes bsod.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Horolynn
Problem Details:
Most of the times I run osu!, it just immediately freezes up and after a while either causes a bsod, or very rarely manages to just crash osu! and give me an OpenGL "lost connection" error. I run the beta build on a GT240, I've just recently updated my gpu drivers (about a week ago) and I have NOT had that problem until yesterday. Also, because of it crashing immediately I can't change any options so I'm now in the process of reinstalling the game.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Would love to, but I'm not gonna crash it a few more times just to give you a screenshot of an error prompt. Here's the page about it http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007

osu! version: 20151109beta

EDIT: Some additional information
I've reinstalled it and managed to switch back to stable release, however I'm experiencing huge lock ups in beatmap selection screen, especially when switching beatmaps. Gameplay is completely fine. Could it be because of the amount of beatmaps being too large?
Also, apparently options menu messes with it too.
[ Haruka ]_old_1
If you get a bsod, a dump file is taken why it occurs. They're saved in C:\Windows\Minidump. Read that out with a program like BlueScreenView from NirSoft and post the result, so we can see why you get this. Also I remind there was a frame time window inside Osu which you can toggle with [Ctrl]+F11, so you can see which part of Osu creates the lag. Well... I don't have more ideas how to analyze this... but at least it's worth a try.
Bara-
Does it happen on Stable (fallback) too?
Maybe use that then
Also, reinstalling never fixes anything, except maybe an update error/loop
TheVileOne
I'm going to assume you experienced this on beta and not cutting edge. If you check the changelog peppy released a patch that fixes a performance related issue, but that would only apply to cutting edge users.

Additionally report back if these lockups still happen even after you have restarted your system. If you reinstalled after experiencing an issue with the game without restarting your system, your gpu hardware may not have reset correctly, which would cause issues until you reboot.

Have you tried running the game on the last version of drivers that worked?

Also you should try messing around with the new debug toggles in options if you can get to the options without the game exploding. If it helps with stability, you can try enabling compatibility mode temporarily to see if angle handles your issue better. Be careful when disabling sprite draws, you wont be able to see anything on the screen anymore after you set it.

The lag caused by changing songs could be caused by a bottleneck while reading beatmaps, network requests, or perhaps due to async audio reads. You can disable async reads, and bancho connectivity to rule out those possibilities.

Edit: Oh and check osu's logs . Does anything look unusual like reported exceptions that coincide with when the crashes occur?
Topic Starter
Horolynn
I don't know how to check the log, or how to change debug options.
The game just crashed today again on stable release, and I've now changed it to fallback and changed the renderer to directx. We'll see if it won't crash anymore. Also, why is the renderer selection disabled on anything other than fallback build?

EDIT: I changed it to cutting edge and enabled compatibility mode. So far so good.