forum

BenQ Monitor Users + Opinions on new setup

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer
is it true that when u first buy a BenQ monitor that they all require some kind of setting up ? planning of getting a new monitor soon with the new computer iam building and i found this http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU but every review of search about BenQ says when u first get it the color quality is meh and requires some setting up compare to most monitors that are already setup out of box

as for the opinion part any opinions on this new system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1193.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 17:02 EST-0500

reason for not picking skylake ? every game i play is oldish blade and soul we got good epic OSU! aion lineage 2 maybe dark souls 2 soon since my current PC cant handle it qq any suggestions or opinions is welcome

Moar powa to Peppy and OSU!
Jarvis
Well if it requires any kind of setting up. It's not all BenQ (most likely lower-tier however). My BenQ RL2455HM was great out of the box and trust me any tinkering with color/sharpness settings really didn't do any favours or made it worse.

As for opinions on the setup. Seems a little overkill for any of the games you listed, but it will definitely last you long term :D
A Medic
I don't think you have to do any sort of setup, I had that monitor in my previous workplace and I literally just plugged it in and it was fine. Although I changed some setting based on personal preference.
TakuMii
I'm pretty sure most 120Hz/144Hz gaming monitors (aside from maybe the newer high-end IPS panels) ship with subpar colour quality... Part of the reason is simply because of the display technology, but you can make it better with some tinkering. Just keep in mind that you'll have to increase your budget and/or look elsewhere if colours are a main priority for you.
Gumpy
My 144hz monitor's color out of the box was complete ass, tinkered for about half an hour to find a setup I like.
Kert
For benq xl2411z you'll probably need to switch the color profile from FPS1 to sRGB and that's it, so don't worry
sottovoce
Is there a point to this thread other than to show off about your new computer?
IppE

YayMii wrote:

I'm pretty sure most 120Hz/144Hz gaming monitors (aside from maybe the newer high-end IPS panels)
No commercial monitor ships with an IPS panel that does 144Hz.
TakuMii

IppE wrote:

YayMii wrote:

I'm pretty sure most 120Hz/144Hz gaming monitors (aside from maybe the newer high-end IPS panels)
No commercial monitor ships with an IPS panel that does 144Hz.
The Acer Predator XB270HU, BenQ XL2730Z, Eizo Foris FS2735, Asus MG279Q, and ROG Swift PG278Q/PG279Q monitors all say hi

(the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and its 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync panel is a thing too)
IppE

YayMii wrote:

The Acer Predator XB270HU, BenQ XL2730Z, Eizo Foris FS2735, Asus MG279Q, and ROG Swift PG278Q/PG279Q monitors all say hi

(the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and its 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync panel is a thing too)
The 27"WS AU Optronics AHVA (M270DAN02.3) panel says hi (or in the P279Q's case, M270Q008 V0)

The BenQ XL2730Z has a TN panel (M270DTN01.0), as does the PG278Q (M270Q002 V0).
TakuMii

IppE wrote:

The 27"WS AU Optronics AHVA (M270DAN02.3) panel says hi (or in the P279Q's case, M270Q008 V0)
It's just a matter of semantics... AHVA is an IPS technology made by AU Optronics (not to be confused with AMVA, which is a VA-type technology)

(oh, and whoops... yeah, those two are TN panels. But from what I've heard, the colours of the PG278Q is still a lot better than most of the older gaming panels)
IppE
Still, not actual real IPS panels, even if AHVA panels are mostly different in name only.

Dunno what the EIZO one has, but seeing as their past monitors have seen all sorts of funky things it could be not actually 144Hz (or just the AHVA panel everyone else is using).
TakuMii
Well, they're still equivalent in practicality and marketed as IPS... I don't think it's fair to invalidate the panel quality just because it's AUO and not LG.

And honestly, while I think Eizo's "240Hz" marketing was total BS, I really doubt they'd be lying about 144Hz in 2015.
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer

sottovoce wrote:

Is there a point to this thread other than to show off about your new computer?
i made the topic to ask questions related to the new pc i want to build in no was it to show off because its not even built it alot of ppl play alot more then just OSU so i requested opinions based on ppl with the same items, as for the monitor its the first time i will buy a 144mhz monitor or even to say a BenQ model so i was really curious because i see alot of ppl using it and every information i find out BenQ 144 monitors say u would have to do some settings to get improved color quality since its 144mhz .

So no it was not to show off a new computer but since there is no section for PC i had to use general discussion to ask for opinions or even improvements they can see.

as for the monitor reply's does anybody use that model ? or can suggest a monitor with 144mhz that can provide the same affect with better color quality
TakuMii
It's not necessarily because it's a 144Hz panel, it's because it uses a TN panel. TN panels simply don't have the colour quality that other LCD technologies (like IPS or even VA) has. Unless you're willing to spend double (or even triple) the price of that monitor you're looking at, you're likely not going to find any monitors that have significantly better colour quality. (at that price point though, that monitor is fine. Most of the monitors I mentioned earlier go for up to US$700)

That being said, keep in mind that most of these high refresh rate monitors are "gaming monitors", so the default settings tend to throw colour quality/accuracy out the window in favour of visibility. A lot of these monitors are like that out of the box, but you should at least be able to achieve decent colours if you can calibrate it yourself.
Topic Starter
WindyExplorer
hmm maybe i approached it wrong on the monitor idea then, back to drawing board lol xD on none FPS games or fast pace games will 144 panel do any benefit ? or would just a normal monitor be better
TakuMii
The difference between 60Hz and 144Hz within FPS games is almost night and day. Even if that's not your thing, I'd definitely still recommend going for a 144Hz monitor for gaming (unless you also do stuff like photo or video editing, where colour accuracy matters). Honestly, I think it'd be worth it for osu! too, but it really depends on where your priorities are.
deletemyaccount
I have this same panel OP, you will definitely need to tweak the colour settings as they look like absolute ass out of the box. Once you have set everything up, it actually looks quite nice (for a TN panel).

There are many presets and guides on how to set this up online, make sure you use the blur busters benq motion blur tool. Feel free to PM me if you need any help with setting up the monitor

Also, anyone that tells you that 144hz is shit has no idea what they're talking about.
ZenoDiac

WindyExplorer wrote:

is it true that when u first buy a BenQ monitor that they all require some kind of setting up ? planning of getting a new monitor soon with the new computer iam building and i found this http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU but every review of search about BenQ says when u first get it the color quality is meh and requires some setting up compare to most monitors that are already setup out of box

as for the opinion part any opinions on this new system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1193.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 17:02 EST-0500

reason for not picking skylake ? every game i play is oldish blade and soul we got good epic OSU! aion lineage 2 maybe dark souls 2 soon since my current PC cant handle it qq any suggestions or opinions is welcome

Moar powa to Peppy and OSU!
OK, without clotting hairs about the type of panel and what not:
I recently bought myself the XL2430T (which basically the same as the XL2411Z, but with added features like USB hub, DP etc) and a GTX908ti to go with it.

Firstly, set your monitor to 144Hz (you can only achieve this with a DVI cable on the XL2411Z).

Tweaking is really simple.
Now, since you also have a GeForce, you basically have 2 options:
Tweaking your graphics card or tweaking your screen settings. Since I installed both at the same time, everything was on factory settings.
After installing the graphics drivers, upping your digital vibrance has the same effect as upping your vibrance on the monitor - they both produce the same effect (one can always do with a bit more colour in your life). That's about it really.

Nothing fancy. And once you've set it, it's done for the rest of your screen's life.
The viewing angle is not the best, but the 144Hz is worth it. Reeeeally smooth.

Just go for it I say