forum

Please add in a #Singlish Channel for osu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,317
show more
leepdesu

wailord2700 wrote:

I star alr ah u all dont say i nvr sappork you guys.

Not enough cb add more la
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Guys we need to provide more reasons ASAP
twirle

-LeeP- wrote:

wailord2700 wrote:

I star alr ah u all dont say i nvr sappork you guys.

Not enough cb add more la
More generous pls we need star powers tyty

On topic:
Uhh drawing from Malaysia and Indonesia's cases, Bahasa Melayu and Bahasa Indonesia are their official national languages so they've a solid reason to get approved. Unless we can somehow justify Singlish to be something as close as an official national language, we're somewhat lacking of a proper reason on our part.

Then again, Singlish is so ingrained in us that we even have to proofread if we're typing in proper English without any weird Singlish slang in it. Or maybe it's just me.

I guess we'll see how this goes for now and try to look more active on our currently dead language specific thread. In case if you don't know (I just found out yesterday anyways), AFA's round the corner later this month. That could be a starter topic or something.

Also, there's a SG Sightread Compy that's coming up next month with a map pool that features our local mappers!
Karuta-_old_1
Putting more stars won't get you anywhere closer

A bad suggestion is a bad suggestion, you could make a flag of america with ten times stars and no one approves it

And that post is just a nail in the coffin when you put the word 'slang' on it, which basically means you are still using English but in a more localised sense

Only thing you can do is to make out the differences or gain support from the community itself, but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian, it is usually empty anyway

In fact, Singaporeans did try to make this a national language before
leepdesu

Karuta- wrote:

but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian
hahahahahahahhaha
we tried that

no
Topic Starter
[Suguri]

Karuta- wrote:

A bad suggestion is a bad suggestion, you could make a flag of america with ten times stars and no one approves it

And that post is just a nail in the coffin when you put the word 'slang' on it, which basically means you are still using English but in a more localised sense

Only thing you can do is to make out the differences or gain support from the community itself, but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian, it is usually empty anyway

I once went to #malaysian and I was strictly told speakin in singlish, english or anything not related to malay = prohibited.
And #malay isn't empty until someone actually starts a conversation so yea.

Edit: I don't even know how to speak malay except for the lil slangs and words we use in singlish :|
Ayako

Karuta- wrote:

well, we did go to #malaysian and look what happened.
Then why is #Malaysian a channel? o.o its not a language as well tho
neonat

Karuta- wrote:

I believe the higher ups would mind, you can't have other languages in there, the moderators would take the heat if that was allowed. Basically Malay only
Ayako

neonat wrote:

Karuta- wrote:

I believe the higher ups would mind, you can't have other languages in there, the moderators would take the heat if that was allowed. Basically Malay only
thats why we want a #singlish channel, where there are no language restrictions like not allowing mixed languages.
Singaporeans basically have a diverse language range, and our daily conversations consists of all usually.
Kagari
if that's the case, we malaysians also wan a #manglish channel la, where there are no language restrictions too.
Malaysians also have a wide diverse language range too, you know?

jokes aside, rather than #singlish or #manglish channels, why not add in a Southeast Asia English community channel (a.k.a. #SEAnglish) instead for English speaking players within the Southeast Asia community? that would be cool considering that there are SEA players that are speaking english mainly (and I dont mean the normal kind of english).
leepdesu

Kagari wrote:

why not add in a Southeast Asia English community channel
It might overcrowd like in #osu where everyone is spamming. But all mods do in #osu is redirect people who speak/type in different language into their own respective channels that's why it's managing well. What would happen if we allow all different kind of language in #SEAnglish? You could say:

Kagari wrote:

there are SEA players that are speaking english mainly
but our daily conversation consist of

Ayako wrote:

a diverse language range
Topic Starter
[Suguri]

-LeeP- wrote:

Kagari wrote:

why not add in a Southeast Asia English community channel
It might overcrowd like in #osu where everyone is spamming. But all mods do in #osu is redirect people who speak/type in different language into their own respective channels that's why it's managing well. What would happen if we allow all different kind of language in #SEAnglish? You could say:

Kagari wrote:

there are SEA players that are speaking english mainly
but our daily conversation consist of

Ayako wrote:

a diverse language range
You've found a breakthrough. Should I change thread name? ;)
Ayako
pew revive
neonat
A few bleeps here and there, just a warning.

But just to highlight the point, it ain't easy to understand..
Kagari

neonat wrote:

But just to highlight the point, it ain't easy to understand..
basically it's a mixture of chinese, malay, (and indian) languages mixed with english conversation and bam!... singlish language lol
(we used to call this rojak language (bahasa rojak) coz you mix up all the languages around us in normal english conversation lol)

singlish ftw
Tokiiwa
this could be fun
-ryusakihatsue-
wasn't the main point of this thread to get a channel for singaporeans?

and the point of #singlish is so that we can speak mixed languages and it being legit
Flanster
And how many of you do you actually use this "language" actively?
Ayako

LoliFlan wrote:

Lets just say there is no such thing as proper english in Singapore ,only Singlish
leepdesu

LoliFlan wrote:

Everyday in our daily lives.
When we talk to our friends.
When we type to a fellow Singaporean during a game E.G. League of Legends SG server.
When we chat in the whatsapp group.

Basically most Singaporeans.
-ryusakihatsue-

LoliFlan wrote:

it's a thing... after staying in this fine place after a while it'll grow in you
we dont use it outside of our place though... since other people wouldn't understand it

unless you're a noob like me who is a noob at everything including singlish
i still use singlish though
Kagari

LoliFlan wrote:

I use this "language" on daily basis, apart from normal english conversation that I'm using it right now.
I can assure you that a quite large number of Malaysian osu! players are actually using this "language" on daily basis too.

and trying to use this language in #malaysian is also a bad idea lol
Cocoa-

LoliFlan wrote:

I use it everyday in my life lol

There is never a day I dont use Singlish l o l
Flanster
As much as I can see this is used by Singaporeans, I still think this is a dialect, rather than a language.
In all honesty, it's confusing lmao.
-ryusakihatsue-

LoliFlan wrote:

As much as I can see this is used by Singaporeans, I still think this is a dialect, rather than a language.
tbh it's more like rojak HAHAHAHAH
wait sorry for singlish
Ayako

LoliFlan wrote:

although its not an official language, we use it so much it becomes a language instead of a 'dialect'. In our daily messaging or chatting, there isnt a point where there isnt singlish

for example, cantonese is an official dialect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese
but it is the official 'language' of Hong Kong - Chinese (de facto Cantonese)

for singapore, english, chinese, malay and indian are our official languages yes that many
and not all singaporeans know all these languages. We cant possibly go to the respective language channels and chat there, because we wouldnt even be able to understand.

Our mastery of the languages are partial for all, which results in Singlish, a mixture of all languages of singapore

so we basically have one language, Singlish
Flanster
So.... any translator out there that works with singlish?
You gotta keep in mind how will this channel get moderated when theres no mod that speaks it.
neonat
Online Dictionary
leepdesu
"Abang you wan lepak lim kopi?"
(Brother, do you want to drink coffee and chill AT ONE CORNER LIKE TRUE YALAM BROOOOOO?)
Karuta-_old_1
flyte
I understand the point that everyone was trying to point out here. I also noticed that Singapore is the only country in South East Asia without it's own Language forum/channel.

But yeah, it's "Language" channel, not Country of Community channel. It just so happens that the other countries in SEA has their own native language with huge amount of population that doesn't understand English. I believe that's the idea why Language forums are there in the first place. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thai and Tagalog is not there because of the country, but because of their homeland language.

If you want an area where you guys can chill with your country fellows, then it's not Language forums you're looking for but a "Community" forum. We might have something in store for that in the future (maybe).

Also, Singlish is a 'slang' no matter how widely used it is. I believe everyone who speaks Singlish understands proper English. Yes, you use it everyday, but it's not being thought at your school, nor being used as medium for your television news broadcast.

It wouldn't be fair to only allow one slang to have their own forum. There are many slangs in the world and most of the slang speakers understands root language. Adding Singlish would mean that others would have the same amount of rights to have their own channel if they have a sizable community.

Again, I understand that you guys wanted your own community so you can chill with your country mates, but sadly, Language channel/forum is not the solution. ^_^;;
plaatinum

flyte wrote:

I understand the point that everyone was trying to point out here. I also noticed that Singapore is the only country in South East Asia without it's own Language forum/channel.

But yeah, it's "Language" channel, not Country of Community channel. It just so happens that the other countries in SEA has their own native language with huge amount of population that doesn't understand English. I believe that's the idea why Language forums are there in the first place. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thai and Tagalog is not there because of the country, but because of their homeland language.

If you want an area where you guys can chill with your country fellows, then it's not Language forums you're looking for but a "Community" forum. We might have something in store for that in the future (maybe).

Also, Singlish is a 'slang' no matter how widely used it is. I believe everyone who speaks Singlish understands proper English. Yes, you use it everyday, but it's not being thought at your school, nor being used as medium for your television news broadcast.

It wouldn't be fair to only allow one slang to have their own forum. There are many slangs in the world and most of the slang speakers understands root language. Adding Singlish would mean that others would have the same amount of rights to have their own channel if they have a sizable community.

Again, I understand that you guys wanted your own community so you can chill with your country mates, but sadly, Language channel/forum is not the solution. ^_^;;
lol yea ikr
Ayako

flyte wrote:

understand where you are coming from, but you see

Malaysia- native language Malay
Indonesia- native language Malay (indonesian)
India- native language tamil, hindu
Thailand- native language Thai

i think our title is abit misleading, we meant #singaporean

anyways, why our community want a channel so badly can be presented out in these scenarios

1) >le sg person goes into english chat
>gets bombarded with english text (obvious)
> doesnt fit in well

2) >le sg person goes into chinese chat
>bombarded with chinese text
>too complicated, cant blend in

3) >le sg person goes into malaysian chat
>bombarded with malay text
>doesnt understand
>leaves

4)> le sad sg person enters indian chat
>the rest is predictable as u can see

countries that have a strong native language presence dont have an issue going into the language channels as they know whats happening, they have people in there. Lets take Chinese, China obviously dominates the chat, you cant expect singaporeans to just hope into it and start chatting. do you have any idea how troublesome it is to change text language omg we will get flooded in chinese that we dont understand

same to the rest of the languages.

Even if we do so, we are being split up as a community. Thats not what a channel is for.

A channel in game is used to bond and connect players with a common identity, in this case, a language. Australians, Americans, British players dominate the English channels, they are bonded as they actually can communicate with each other, same for the rest. As for us, we are unable to do so, we do not have the ability to communicate with them. We are not making this forum post just to get a random fancy channel in game for fun, we need a platform in game to establish communications between fellow players that can actually understand us. We do not want a channel, we need a channel. Its very annoying to have to result to other platforms to communicate as we cant reach out to everyone. Its annoying, very annoying

we dont want to chill, we want to bond and communicate, we can always chill alone :c

Hope this makes a point somewhere
Sync
It takes 2 seconds to add a channel, so I say just give it two weeks and if it's inactive then delete it. Deleting it takes 2 seconds too, and it won't hurt anything, right? Jeez, if they want it that much...

:P :P :P :P :P

Note to Singaporeans: your own IRC channel == overrated. It'll mostly be people who are already integrated in the community and then a few new people as well. I suggest creating your own IRC channel on rizon or another major network and advertise it in your signature/share with your friends/post it on your facebook or whatever.
leepdesu

Sync wrote:

I suggest creating your own IRC channel on rizon or another major network and advertise it in your signature/share with your friends/post it on your facebook or whatever.
We tried but it wasn't effective... Most of us prefer using the chat function INSIDE the game.

Sync wrote:

It'll mostly be people who are already integrated in the community and then a few new people as well. .
Oh no, it'll be open to everyone. I'm sure the Malaysians will actually be glad to chillout in the Singaporean chat. So it's a channel that isn't just for Singaporeans.
neonat
It's not just Singaporeans who use this form of communication. Even the regional areas like Malaysia and Indonesia, they do understand and use this. I think you noticed that some from those regions also do support this idea, they don't only speak Bahasa Indonesia, or Malay, possible due to the diverse culture and races they have as well.
RyanGBW
personally after reading this foum.. i have to agree with both leep and neonat

a lot of people will come by from other countries and i am sure everyone will be happy

not only that, communication in a mass scale is easier for all of us singaporeans and for maybe for those in other parts of the world who used to stay in Singapore
PyaKura
I'm not involved in this but this thread sure has poked my curiosity about Singlish lol
Comby
Wah siala, very on ah you all. #Singlish ftw la. I scared go other language channel later kenna kao bei kao bu, ccb my frien banned cause liddat.

If the moderators are gonna ban us for talking our language that we use, and not provide us an appropriate place to talk freely. It is unfair

Is it really that difficult to just give a channel to us in the first place.

Not giving a channel because it is considered a dialect? My frien was born as hainanese and only learnt that dialect. It would be unfair to put him in the chinese language( which consists of so many other dialects) as hainanese is a dialect.
emilia
btw just to clarify

Singlish isn't a language or a dialect, it's in fact a creole, like something in between. Look it up.

Also it sems to be that way that Singaporeans do in fact speak a different tongue (or a multitude of different tongues) compared to other countries, I don't see why Singapore can't have its own little space in osu!

edit: I see a few arguments here

1. Singlish isnt a language/dialect

Yes, but as explained by Ayako, we can't deal with massive English or Chinese or Malay or any other languages' text walls. What we are comfortable with is Singlish. As stated before, Singlish is a creole, its still very technically a language. Directly quoting from Wikipedia:

A creole language, or simply creole, is a stable natural language that has developed from a pidgin (i.e. a simplified language or simplified mixture of languages used by non-native speakers) becoming nativized by children as their first language, with the accompanying effect of a fully developed vocabulary and system of grammar.

tbh iirc our government has promoted its use because its ingrained in our culture no joke xd and yes, if you're Singaporean you'd know that media widely uses Singlish all the time, be it in drama serials or commercials. Teachers in school also occasionally blurt the "lah, loh, leh", because thats who we are, and we can't erase that.

I do believe there IS an unofficial Singlish translator out there, doesn't stop us though.

2. Go #Malaysian

On the other hand, while you can say we could go to #Malaysian, but they we can't be so selfish as to go in there to 'take over' because that space is still ultimately theirs, besides we tried that, and it didnt exactly work out. #Malaysian isnt somewhere Singaporeans BELONG, #Singlish is the place to be. tbh it doesnt matter what the name of our channel is, being in this amazing, dank community is what is enjoyable.

and yes, Malaysian isnt the language of Singapore, nor is it even a language at all in the first place xd

3. Language use

Singlish is literally part and parcel of our lives. No singlish, no Singapore. Singlish is the literal sole representation of Singapore aside from the amazing chicken rice and chilli crab xd

4. Why not have other languages similar to Singlish added in?

I dont see how this can be a problem. As long as the community feels that theres a need for this to happen, they are entitled to push for it to happen. If the community is big, you can ensure that the channel with be buzzing with people all the time! But if they couldnt really care less, then it doesnt matter if they have their own channel or not. We care, enough that we're pushing for this to happen.

5. Have a chat system somewhere else

Dude we literally have Skype, Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook, Discord, etc. god knows how many are there out there. There has to be a reason why we're pushing for this to happen -- it simply isnt gonna happen elsewhere outside of osu! Osu is what brought us together, so shouldn't it only be logical that most people will be tuned into our channel the most because its most accessible?

I believe I've explained enough. These are the reasons/rebuttals I have. I also genuinely think Singapore should have its own channel for its own iconic creole.

Boiiz we got this lets make it happen
show more