forum

Please add in a #Singlish Channel for osu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,317
show more
He Ang CTB
I'm not going to be surprised if the Singlish channel ended up becoming a real thing, the actual English-speaking people will spectate our channel and enjoy a good long laugh behind their screens about how foolishly we seem to talk XD

I bet any English speaking audience reading this thread thoroughly will be like: o3o ... So the were speaking part English all the time?!? ........................................... WHAT?!?!?
[ Matcha ]
I wanna eat some dank kfc
neonat
That one time Singlish got on BBC
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33809914
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Singlish :Eh bro u wan lepak at Jcube we ti qiu and then get sum kfc
English :Hey man, you wanna stop by CapitalMall? We can go play some soccer then go grab some KFC before we leave!

Anyway nice meme never thought of Dank KFC
leepdesu

ATGNKC39 wrote:

Limpeh like your idea
ftfy

Bu77shi wrote:

Anyway nice meme never thought of Dank KFC
mountain jew
Risa
I like this but who is gonna mod the channel
Ayako

Reset- wrote:

reliable people like -LeeP-, Histoire, wailord2700 and Ayako
Karuta-_old_1

Ayako wrote:

Histoire
Histoire
Histoire?

well that aside, maybe you guys can consider as Singapore does have an active community at least in osu! general with #26 country rank
leepdesu

Ayako wrote:

Marcus (handsome) and Neonat
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
What about me :<

In all seriousness I believe those guys can moderate hue
tbh we should pick someone active to moderate I can't believe we got so far
Hype for #singlish
Surono
i jus kan do teh 4L4y engirzh.
Ayako

-LeeP- wrote:

Ayako wrote:

Marcus (handsome) and Neonat

Yes neonat please
Histoire

Karuta- wrote:

Ayako wrote:

Histoire
Histoire
Histoire?

well that aside, maybe you guys can consider as Singapore does have an active community at least in osu! general with #26 country rank
wow
wow
WOW
hehe
ya sia #suppork la

新加坡 boleh
Ayako

handsome wrote:

ya sia #suppork la

新加坡 boleh

walaowey u liddat how peepol undersitand
Krah
Please just note that there is no point in debating of who could be a mod (or not) here. It's not how it works.
And seriously don't feel forced to disclose this kind of conv

To note, I'm not the one who choose but I don't think there will have a channel for a language who is technically more a dialect :s
Histoire

Krah wrote:

Please just note that there is no point in debating of who could be a mod (or not) here. It's not how it works.

To note, I'm not the one who choose but I don't think there will have a channel for a language who is technically more a dialect :s
I wouldn't really call it a dialect. Its really more of an official language in singapore.
Ayako

Krah wrote:

if singlish is a dialect, then what about the cantonese channel? :c
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese
" It is the traditional prestige dialect of Yue."
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
In all seriousness, #Singlish would be a a great channel. Here's why:

1) Singapore has a really large active community for osu :)
2) Singlish is a mixed dialect ;)
4) It's something a large segment of the sg osu community has wanted :x

All in all wouldn't it be a really good idea to at least give it a shot to have #Singlish? It wouldn't die out like some of the other language channels.
Krah

Ayako wrote:

Krah wrote:

if singlish is a dialect, then what about the cantonese channel? :c
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese
" It is the traditional prestige dialect of Yue."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Chinese Channel is named #cantonese but it's more this language who is used in it. It's the official language of Hong-Kong and mostly used in south of China.
plaatinum

Ayako wrote:

Reset- wrote:

reliable lmfao sure
leepdesu

plaatinum wrote:

reliable lmfao sure
Same tbh

Krah wrote:

It's the official language of Hong-Kong and mostly used in south of China.

Histoire wrote:

Its really more of an official language in singapore.
YatsuKaori
waow, Singlish? (uh i cant vote -_- ) singapore people got bored stay at #malaysian xD lol
good luck for realisation the #singlish channel
Ayako

Krah wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Chinese Channel is named #cantonese but it's more this language who is used in it. It's the official language of Hong-Kong and mostly used in south of China.

Histoire wrote:

I wouldn't really call it a dialect. Its really more of an official language in singapore.
Its a 'language' that unites Singaporeans and some Malaysians. And also it can be a channel whereby people who want to experience singlish first-hand can come and take a look
leepdesu

Lina Sintyadewi wrote:

waow, Singlish? (uh i cant vote -_- ) singapore people got bored stay at #malaysian xD lol
good luck for realisation the #singlish channel

-LeeP- wrote:

It didn't end well.
twirle
Apparently #malaysian came about after a split of #malay into #indonesian and #malaysian a couple years back.

Just a heads up on some key posts for other channel requests that are pending atm.
Response is not going too well for them on their sides either.
Latvia has ~90 pages on their language specific thread and 4.2k active users, while the Irish have 3.6k active users.

#irish:

Stefan wrote:

Please calm down a bit with your posts. You definitely shows that you want a own channel to chat but it's kinda unnecessary to leave posts like "pl0x" and "I agree". Instead, make some suggestions and/or leave more reasons why you need it.

Zallius wrote:

Channels are not groups for communities, they are groups for specific non-English languages.

Demon wrote:

Zallius wrote:

Understood, but this would be a sole requirement for the channel rather than a community of players from Ireland. We would need an indication that there are a significant number of speakers of traditional language speakers for this to happen.

*FWIW half my family is Irish, so i'm very much aware :P

So how exactly do we give an indication of how many of us can speak Irish when we have no place to speak it?

Zallius wrote:

Get more people that speak the language to provide their vote in this thread, and star it!

My point was being made in response to the opening posts, to confirm that language specific channels are not community group for those who live in a certain country. The requirement for us to justify opening a language channel is that we have a large enough collection of players that speak the actual language to justify operating and moderating the channel.

#latvian:

LoliFlan wrote:

From what I see, the Latvian thread in the Language Specific subform for a year has 50+ pages.
This is what i call activity, so it shouldn't be hard in my honest opinion. I'm giving you my support.
Just a matter of time.

Marcin wrote:

I'd love if only people that are actually going to use channel would only post / throw stars - that shows how big your community is to consider channel for you.
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Thanks for the heads up mang.

Also,
tbh everyone in SG speaks Singlish, we have a pretty large active community (sort of) and the channel would probably be flooded should it be created. Also no one speaks in Singlish on forums because we'll look like complete weirdos :)
Surono
bcuz dialect. niceu dezu
wailord2700
I star alr ah u all dont say i nvr sappork you guys.
plaatinum

Bu77shi wrote:

Thanks for the heads up mang.

Also,
tbh everyone in SG speaks Singlish, we have a pretty large active community (sort of) and the channel would probably be flooded should it be created. Also no one speaks in Singlish on forums because we'll look like complete weirdos :)
It wouldn't be flooded, trust me. In fact, it'll probably only have like half of #malaysian's population most likely.
leepdesu

plaatinum wrote:

It wouldn't be flooded, trust me. In fact, it'll probably only have like half of #malaysian's population most likely.
Which is a good thing cuz lesser work for mods and generally Singaporean chatrooms are pretty chillax and cancerous like plaatinum
Evening
Sounds interesting, could use a trial run before deciding if this should stay
Ayako

-LeeP- wrote:

plaatinum wrote:

Which is a good thing cuz lesser work for mods and generally Singaporean chatrooms are pretty chillax and cancerous like plaatinum
communication between players will be easier as we don't have to rely on discord, skype and other platforms that are inconvenient to access while in game

also, we will be able to reach out to more people in the community
leepdesu

wailord2700 wrote:

Not enough cb add more la
Topic Starter
[Suguri]
Guys we need to provide more reasons ASAP
twirle

-LeeP- wrote:

wailord2700 wrote:

Not enough cb add more la
More generous pls we need star powers tyty

On topic:
Uhh drawing from Malaysia and Indonesia's cases, Bahasa Melayu and Bahasa Indonesia are their official national languages so they've a solid reason to get approved. Unless we can somehow justify Singlish to be something as close as an official national language, we're somewhat lacking of a proper reason on our part.

Then again, Singlish is so ingrained in us that we even have to proofread if we're typing in proper English without any weird Singlish slang in it. Or maybe it's just me.

I guess we'll see how this goes for now and try to look more active on our currently dead language specific thread. In case if you don't know (I just found out yesterday anyways), AFA's round the corner later this month. That could be a starter topic or something.

Also, there's a SG Sightread Compy that's coming up next month with a map pool that features our local mappers!
Karuta-_old_1
Putting more stars won't get you anywhere closer

A bad suggestion is a bad suggestion, you could make a flag of america with ten times stars and no one approves it

And that post is just a nail in the coffin when you put the word 'slang' on it, which basically means you are still using English but in a more localised sense

Only thing you can do is to make out the differences or gain support from the community itself, but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian, it is usually empty anyway

In fact, Singaporeans did try to make this a national language before
leepdesu

Karuta- wrote:

but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian
hahahahahahahhaha
we tried that

no
Topic Starter
[Suguri]

Karuta- wrote:

A bad suggestion is a bad suggestion, you could make a flag of america with ten times stars and no one approves it

And that post is just a nail in the coffin when you put the word 'slang' on it, which basically means you are still using English but in a more localised sense

Only thing you can do is to make out the differences or gain support from the community itself, but I seriously doubt that people would mind if you talked in #malaysian, it is usually empty anyway

I once went to #malaysian and I was strictly told speakin in singlish, english or anything not related to malay = prohibited.
And #malay isn't empty until someone actually starts a conversation so yea.

Edit: I don't even know how to speak malay except for the lil slangs and words we use in singlish :|
Ayako

Karuta- wrote:

well, we did go to #malaysian and look what happened.
Then why is #Malaysian a channel? o.o its not a language as well tho
show more