forum

Why so many sliders?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Decible
Now, when I first started playing osu!, I downloaded a few beatmaps of some songs I knew. This was... about a year ago (according to my profile).
Back then, the osu! mode beatmaps were 80% circles, 20% sliders; which is reasonable.
I haven't had internet at home so I didn't often get new beatmaps, and just played, practicing what I could.

But I just recently grabbed a bunch of new beatmaps, seeing as the number of songs I knew expanded significantly, I figured that I would update my osu! playlist to match. What I noticed, is that all the "recent" beatmaps are mostly sliders. I've seen ranges from 40% circles and 60% sliders, all the way to 5% circles to 95% sliders.

After downloading (a rather large) number of beatmaps, I found maybe 1 in 20 were even close to 50/50, while every other one was mostly sliders. When there's so many sliders, I feel it takes away from the experience of the songs significantly. When a beatmap is matched to the lyrics, wouldn't it be best if sliders only showed up when a note was actually long, rather than a slider carrying over multiple words?

I guess I'm not really complaining, but looking for a reason for it, since it just doesn't feel like it actually matches the rhythm properly... which is what the game is supposed to be about.

Is there some reason that sliders became so dominant?
Emayecue
I am not too sure what you mean.

Songs I play have tons of sliders and I think they all fit very well?

I dont understand why more slider takes away from the experience of the song tho?
KanoSet

Someone wrote:

sliders are evil i swear
mapping style
chainpullz
Sliders are fun and interesting. Stop being a circle.
Topic Starter
Decible

Emayecue wrote:

I am not too sure what you mean.

Songs I play have tons of sliders and I think they all fit very well?

I dont understand why more slider takes away from the experience of the song tho?
As I mentioned, I believe sliders should be used on long notes... rather than one slider extending through several different notes/words/syllables. It just seems, to me, to not fit well into the actual rhythm when they're overly abundant. I am aware, of course, that there are certainly songs that would fit well being 90% sliders, but I find that, at least very few of the many songs I've downloaded fit into that category.

Faces3 wrote:

mapping style
Was there any reason for the style to shift to slider-heavy maps?
Is it just because sliders are easier to hit, and produce constant multiplier increases while you run on them?
Vuelo Eluko
Sliders are not very fun, I have to agree with OP.
otoed1

Faces3 wrote:

mapping style
Things change bud. Community decided sliders are fun apparently. If we all hated sliders, the map style wouldn't be popular.
-Makishima S-
Sliders = free acc points, free 300, easier to hit at some point (not all of them).

Old maps with 80% circles, 20% sliders = 2hard4people.

Mapping style changes, if you like circle heavy maps, search for 2007-2011 maps and enjoy them.
Vuelo Eluko

[Taiga] wrote:

Sliders = free acc points
not quite, the more sliders in a map as opposed to circles the less acc pp
this is why maps that are majority sliders are worth abysmal pp

for typical 1:30 to 3:00 maps it also makes the map worth a fair bit less because it's 'shorter', that is, there are fewer objects. even the simplest of sliders are merely an alternative to using 2 circles, sometimes even more circles are foregone to accommodate a slider to the beat, and unless the only sliders in the map are 1/8 tickless, that's going to drag the length bonus' down.
-Makishima S-
I mean more acc points to number below your overall score.
I know sliders doesnt count to acc pp.
Vuelo Eluko
oh, i guess i wasn't sure what the significance of acc outside of pp was, it's a rather boring metric otherwise.

mods like hd and hr both being worth the same make it pretty useless for scoreboards "kablaze totally had better acc guys i swear" -peppy
not even to touch on dt vs fl or dt hd vs fl hd, scoreboards are seriously bad offenders of not sorting by actual accuracy.
Endaris

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

Sliders = free acc points
this is why maps that are majority sliders are worth abysmal pp
But easier to get good accuracy on overall so your nonexistent rhythmskill isn't as evident as you can still get 90% on maps where you would get 70% with Score V2.
People tend to have more fun when you don't rub into their face that they're bad and many circles just do that(only in case they are bad of course).

Mappingwise sliders can be very useful though as sliders aren't merely two circles being connected, they can express rhythm better than singles can in a lot of cases as sliderends naturally get less attention than sliderheads which leads to sliders being valuable to mark accents in the music over less important beats while being easier to understand than changes in spacing(especially on easier maps).
blissfulyoshi
Just did a quick check of recent maps, and most maps still have a 33% slider count on the highest diff (Same as what I found in my 09 and 10 maps).

As for use in mapping, sliders stay on the screen during playing, so you can use them to do a lot more artful looking things than you can with circle. Also, with the larger timing window, you can force players to do larger jumps that feel as easy as shorter jumps with just circles. (You can also use them to dramatically lower star rating)
Roxy Lalonde
why we have so many sliders

has absolutely nothing to do with score or free acc or pp farming etc.

it all goes down to mapping

sliders tend to have more universal song representations than just the single hard beat of a circle. whether it's a hold note or two beats connected together, it tends to feel better overall to the player rather than hard tapping everything out.
Manysi

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

even the simplest of sliders are merely an alternative to using 2 circles,
no, maybe in lower diffs
Dazardz
I find sliders fun.

Because of people like me, there are so many sliders. I only prefer circles when it's consecutive jump after jump or a stream.
buny
sliders are used for sustain notes, not for mapping two beats