forum

DT = Free PP?

posted
Total Posts
show more
KanoSet

Williemeister wrote:

Its not really about PP, i was more curious about why i seem to be the only one having a hard time with DT, or if alot of people are like me
dw a lot of people having hard time with DT.. to play DT well you need a lot of training
Risa
If those ppl enjoy game by farming dt let them be.
If ur the same might as well follow them. It only takes time
Barusamikosu
200+BPM is pretty hard. Especially when there are streams, consecutive triples etc.

People like Enify, Raniemi and Momi :D who can DT SS maps are definitely working hard for it.
Ninonuko

Williemeister wrote:

Its not really about PP, i was more curious about why i seem to be the only one having a hard time with DT, or if alot of people are like me
Hi.
E m i

speed so overrated lol
bonus
medium, singletap

low, balanced map :3

GhostFrog
There's a pp bonus for how boring a map is, since it takes an extra skill (patience) to be able to play through the entire map without daydreaming about momiji and breaking combo/tanking your acc. There just happen to be a lot of extremely boring DT maps in the correct skill range for people to FC them. It's why Koigokoro gives so much pp for a high acc FC. The amount of focus and patience required to not write "~~Momiji~~ <333" in skywriting during a criminally-boring jumpy part of the map is so tremendous that FCing it becomes an actual difficult task.
Pituophis
Play lower BPM maps with DT. look at my top plays, there's a few easy DT maps you can play that will give pp. Most of them are all single tapping maps.
otoed1
DT =/= free pp. DT takes skill. If you want to get DT pp then play DT maps and get gud. Practice makes perfect. Its probably not a good idea to jump into DT very quickly though, learn the fundamentals well before DT.
Endaris
DT is free pp for people who aren't especially good at the game(sub 4k pp) and excel at speed and accuracy due to the way how OD is affected by the mod and how OD affects the pp a map can give. Combine this with the very low amount of maps with OD higher than 9 between 4 and 6* and you know why DT can be good for pp.
If you don't meet the prerequisites by accident it's just as hard as every other way to gain pp though.
I'm really slow which is why utilizing DT for pp-gain isn't a good option for me.
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

DT is free pp for people who aren't especially good at the game(sub 4k pp) and excel at speed and accuracy due to the way how OD is affected by the mod and how OD affects the pp a map can give. Combine this with the very low amount of maps with OD higher than 9 between 4 and 6* and you know why DT can be good for pp.
If you don't meet the prerequisites by accident it's just as hard as every other way to gain pp though.
I'm really slow which is why utilizing DT for pp-gain isn't a good option for me.
If you think DT is bad for allowing people to get pp without developing basic skills I don't think you've seen the degenerate amounts of pp HR gives on maps with trivial difficulty.
Endaris
Where did I say that it is bad...?
I just said that it's a good way to get pp if you have the required skillset. If you don't have the required skillset it isn't.
I don't have the skillset for it which is why I'm farming other maps(Fycho, Sawano Hiroyuki, medium-bpm jump-spam-maps preferably at OD8).
That isn't an "honorable" way of getting pp either(if such a thing exists) even though I can say that I got very few plays on my topplays that are somewhat less trivial like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/372170?m=0 but I guess most people have some plays on their topplays that are good and not just abuse of the pp-metric.

With the "sub 4k pp" thing I'm just pointing at the increasing mapcomplexity on maps you DT which is why the results gained from DT may not be as clean and effortless as below.
buny
people that can't play (insert mod) will claim (insert mod) is free pp

the reality is that select people are demeaning these players so much that it's becoming a maymay. Speed is probably one of the hardest aspects to grasp and naturally will receive more flak
ZenithPhantasm
vincaslt
In every mod/nomod you play there are easy songs, that give a lot of pp, be it HD, DT, HR.. Those songs are considered free pp/farm. Those songs help you get that boost, but after a while, pp rain stops, as you have scores in all the free pp maps in your current skill, and by playing them you have not improved to get to the next skill level's pp maps. So people who claim that DT = always free pp, have not yet hit the brick wall of no improvement, but eventually they will. DT doesn't make game harder, just a little different - the patterns are easier to read, but the maps are faster in bpm and ar, so transferring from nomod to DT to play at the same level should not be a problem if your nomod play is solid (different with HR though). I'd say, you should be able to play most of DT maps that would give 170-180pp without big problems, if you can't, well, that means that your overall gameplay is not good enough yet. So my suggestion is, don't play DT. Don't play it until you're immediately comfortable playing it, because you'll learn to spam quickly, and maybe get some decent DT scores, but you'll be useless as an overall player, without solid basics - which is nomod.

Source: experience, I started playing DT at your rank, then had to re-learn the game after I hit a point of no improvement.
A Medic
DT isn't free pp, it's a different style of play. If you don't have speed dt might not be for you.
-Makishima S-
Please do not necropost.
Endie-
Learning DT is easier than learning HR. If you want PP, then DT is the way to go. Its no secret that DTHD gives more PP than playing HDHR. Just look at the top scores from Hvick and Rafis for example.
My opinion anyway
buny

erikG wrote:

Learning DT is easier than learning HR. If you want PP, then DT is the way to go. Its no secret that DTHD gives more PP than playing HDHR. Just look at the top scores from Hvick and Rafis for example.
My opinion anyway
Your opinion is wrong
Endie-

a loli wrote:

erikG wrote:

My opinion anyway
Your opinion is wrong
Why?
CelegaS
www did a 667pp score with hr
RaneFire

erikG wrote:

a loli wrote:

Your opinion is wrong
Why?
Although DT is a mod, it's basically just nomod at 1.5x speed. This is how the PP system sees it, nothing special. To go from playing nomod to DT is a natural progression for most people. The hardest aspects to learn with DT are the same that restrict you from playing the more difficult nomod maps. It completely depends on what map you are playing. That's why people start DT'ing 100-120 BPM, when they are able to play 180 BPM. The more maps at your skill level, the better, and DT adds many more.

People have respect for nomod players because of the very few difficult maps available which give good PP. This makes finding rewarding nomod maps, that you can actually play, the hardest part. But with DT you have thousands more options available. It's not free, there is just more to play.

DT = More PP. Not easier, not harder. Just more.
-Makishima S-

erikG wrote:

My opinion anyway
So far higest pp score ingame is claimed by *cought* HR, not HDDT.

DT is simply not for you if you don't have stamina and cannot hold high bpm for long enough. Not everyone is supposed to be able play high bpm, nor have physical abilities to do this. Same rules applys to HR, not everyone stands and can play 6-8min long maps on bpm below 200.

Both mods are free pp, same as nomod is also free pp, you just need to know what to play.
All mods have their "free pp" mappool. They are just completly diffrent from each other in matter of complexity and length.
Endie-
Thanks for great responses guys. It's nice to get another point of view. I won't act like I know the ins and outs of this game ^~^
vsprite
Although DT is a mod, it's basically just nomod at 1.5x speed. This is how the PP system sees it, nothing special. To go from playing nomod to DT is a natural progression for most people. The hardest aspects to learn with DT are the same that restrict you from playing the more difficult nomod maps. It completely depends on what map you are playing. That's why people start DT'ing 100-120 BPM, when they are able to play 180 BPM. The more maps at your skill level, the better, and DT adds many more.

People have respect for nomod players because of the very few difficult maps available which give good PP. This makes finding rewarding nomod maps, that you can actually play, the hardest part. But with DT you have thousands more options available. It's not free, there is just more to play.

DT = More PP. Not easier, not harder. Just more.
There are alot of nomod maps now, just sayin.
Mahogany
I believe that learning+playing DT well at a mid level most definitely is easier than learning+playing HR at a mid level, for the following reasons:

AR 9.6>Easier to play properly than AR10

OD9.6>Easier to play properly than OD10

Easy patterns @ 1.5x speed>Easier to play properly than difficult patterns at what will likely be a similar speed

CS4>Easier than CS5.2

And there are no other "Main" mods that give such a large PP difference.
trebby
Every mod has it's own difficult points. People that have trouble with speed and reaction time have trouble playing DT, with accuracy, aim, and reaction time; HR, and with reading; HD.
I agree that DT rewards too much on easier songs (or farm-able songs), but it's definitely viable on harder songs that are actually hard to play with DT. It's a matter of individuality, because some people will struggle with DT more than others since it's not tuned towards their playstyle or skill level. Whereas others who are already used to the speed of DT can easily churn out higher pp scores with their mindset and experience with the mod.
Mahogany
The problem though is that at a mid level most popular DT maps are the same speed as nomod equivalents so at a mid level it really doesn't require speed
chainpullz

Mahogany wrote:

The problem though is that at a mid level most popular DT maps are the same speed as nomod equivalents so at a mid level it really doesn't require speed
The even bigger issue being that they have higher OD and tend to have patterns similar to the patterns of the easiest no mod maps. So if you excel at accuracy on easy patterns then DT has more room to reward you for it. Also, most people are incapable of reading ar10 well enough to abuse HR on easy pattern maps even though it has far more room for abuse than DT.
buny
nearly everyone can read ar10 nowadays, since most maps are mapped 9.3+

and idk about you guys, daidai took me a long while to do with high (decent) acc.
chainpullz

a loli wrote:

and idk about you guys, daidai took me a long while to do with high (decent) acc.
Never said excelling at acc wasn't difficult. :p
Pituophis

a loli wrote:

what? I can play up to AR 9.8 fine on most days. I can't play ar10 at all. Or do scrubs not count as part of everyone?
Trizept
I have mental block on genome =w=
I don't think I will ever fc it anytime soon.

a loli wrote:

I was able to read ar 9.6 (ar 8 DT) perfectly fine, but when it came to
ar10, it was a whole another story. I literally had to spend a whole month on it to get used to it.
The Gambler

Xbox wrote:

I have mental block on genome =w=
I don't think I will ever fc it anytime soon.
Lol, I feel the same for Koigokoro.
chainpullz
I avoided the worst possible scenario by splitting my koigokoro sightread 98% cleanly in half with a single miss.
timemon
DT is only easy to read at ar9.67 and ar10. Even the tamest pattern on ar10.3 will kill you, if you're not prepared. (AR10.3 why are you so hard ;w;)

"Hey, I can FC it therefore it's free pp!"
I Give Up
No such thing as free pp.
Infevo
as someone who likes playing dt and nomod equally i don't see how the claim dt=free pp holds.

while some maps are easy pattern wise dt still increases ar/od/bpm. and as long as you don't have the sufficient reading/acc/speed it won't give you anything compared to nomod maps within the same difficulty rating.
Risa
I like how those who hate DT complain abt DT ruining the song but i've never seen anything abt HT
chainpullz

Reset- wrote:

I like how those who hate DT complain abt DT ruining the song but i've never seen anything abt HT
Halftime skystar's laziness op ecksdee.
Mahogany
HT ruins song too but isn't good for farm so nobody plays it
show more