forum

What steps do you take whilst mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jau
Hi there! Got a question to the folks who've made mapsets and were ranked!

What's a good way about making the map (outside of the actual mapping)?

For example, I'm going about trying to create a mapset that will hopefully be eligible for ranking, but I always find so much to do at one time. I'll start with my "ideal" map's difficulty and map it out, but after that I feel a bit discouraged to do everything else (hitsounds, timing, other difficulties, etc.)

Is it sheer perseverance that helps you finish the maps? Or is there a certain order of creation you take while mapping to avoid "burnout"?
Karuta-_old_1
t/331992

preparations cough*
buny
I envy people that can make (quality) map sets for the same song
Manysi
I dont have ranked maps but i think i can help you a bit.

Firstly you have to like the music a lot to even think about making a full spread. Ideas will come if you are experienced enough.
Maybe you should change your attitude. I was feeling the same way 2 months ago, all i did was not map if i dont feel like it. Its not a job or something.
Are you mapping with the sole purpose of ranking your mapset? Do you want to map something you know you will like?
You should ask thease questions for yourself before you want to invest time in such a thing. There is no order in mapping, everybody does it differently.
Also, it shouldnt be a struggle, you know. Its just a game, so enjoy mapping.
Endaris
Patience and dedication are the most important qualities.
Also, timing always comes first, always comes first, ALWAYS.
If you don't have the ambition to get your map ranked it's okay, take your time. Rome wasn't built within one day and speedranks only happen if every mapper on the set already has a good amount of experience and ranked maps.
GoldenWolf
^ Patience and dedication are the keys indeed.

You don't -have- to map for rank, or make full spreads, it's a nice goal to have but it's pretty taxing too. If you can't map the same song multiple times to make a spread for it, pick songs longer than 5 minutes (Marathon lenght is 5 minutes of drain time) so you can get away with mapping only one diff.

Timing should ALWAYS be the first thing you get right on a map. I can not emphasize enough how important it is to get the timing right.
Hitsounds can be done at any time; you can do it while placing objects, you can do it by section, or when you're done with the actual mapping. I personally always hitsound as I map.

Mapping should be a fun thing to do, if you don't feel like taking care of all the "annoying" stuff (for you), then it's fine, no one is going to blame you for that. While aiming for rank is a nice goal to have, don't map _only_ to rank, make a good map that fits the song and is nice to play, and then only think about rank. See ranking a map as a nice bonus to add to your map, not as something you _have_ to do.
CXu
You enslave other people to map your other difficulties 8-)
Bara-

CXu wrote:

This
Out of my so far 4 qualified sets, only 1 was completely made by me 8-)

Anyways, first pick a song, you can hear for 100+ times without hating it (Really important)
Then map a diff
Then map an other diff
If you think you made enough diffs and it's fine, start hitsounding the hardest diff
Then use a tool to copy them over to the other diffs
If you think a diff is missing in the set, spam 20+ people to ask them to make it. If you are new, be Lucky if even 1 replies positively!
Then start getting mods
Once you get 12+ SP, you may start calling BN, if they like the map, they will help you push the map forward!

Good luck!
chainpullz

CXu wrote:

This or only maps songs over 5 minutes.
Nathan
it's just perseverance for me, I dislike mapping low difficulties and honestly I only make them with the intent to fill sets, so they're all pretty bland
or like cxu said you can just be lazy and ask for a bunch of gds
chainpullz

sukiNathan wrote:

it's just perseverance for me, I dislike mapping low difficulties and honestly I only make them with the intent to fill sets, so they're all pretty bland
or like cxu said you can just be lazy and ask for a bunch of gds
Since you mention this I'm curious as to your opinion on the requirement of a full spread for ranking criteria in regards to quantity/quality of maps produced (not strictly speaking ranked maps). I know some mappers don't feel as though all of their maps need to be ranked and that's a factor to take into consideration as well.

I'm personally indifferent to whether a map is ranked or not as I simply enjoy playing interesting maps.
Nathan
I think it's a fair requirement, most new players tend to stick to ranked maps for a while, and without the rule I can confidently say the amount of low diffs for longer songs would plummet down
buny

CXu wrote:

5GD mapset, easy