forum

4.5> stars skill wall

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zTk11z
I've hit a skill wall for about the past month or so and finding it really hard to improve. It seems that my main flaw is that I'm really in consistent with jumps no matter how much I play and on top of that I just choke at 90% of my plays lately as well. Any advice on how I may become more consistent at 4.5 star maps, been playing them for ages now and no improvement. Thanks :)
Manysi
Pay more attention to jumps, push yourself but dont get frustrated if you miss. You can try playing aim intensive 5* maps and stuff. Dont play just 4,5 stars. Maybe some longer maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/107565 and https://osu.ppy.sh/s/165018 to see how much misses you have and try to decrease it.
But most importantly, enjoy the game.
Topic Starter
zTk11z

Sailexk wrote:

Pay more attention to jumps, push yourself but dont get frustrated if you miss. You can try playing aim intensive 5* maps and stuff. Dont play just 4,5 stars. Maybe some longer maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/107565 and https://osu.ppy.sh/s/165018 to see how much misses you have and try to decrease it.
But most importantly, enjoy the game.
Oki, thanks I'll give it a go :3
Qenomo
If you play HR or decrease the circle size; you will be able to practice with smaller targets, and then when you switch back to the larger circle sizes; it may seem really easy compared to before. Good luck. :)
buny

PheysHunt wrote:

If you play HR or decrease the circle size; you will be able to practice with smaller targets, and then when you switch back to the larger circle sizes; it may seem really easy compared to before. Good luck. :)
bullshit
chainpullz

a loli wrote:

PheysHunt wrote:

bullshit
^ I second this. Most misses aren't because you were 2 pixels off. Most misses are due to bad timing in which case circle size is mostly irrelevant.
Bauxe
Your wall is probably that you are farming and not trying to improve.
Risa

Bauxe wrote:

Your wall is probably that you are farming and not trying to improve.
^
The biggest misconception for newer players :
They think that pp absolutely = skills

It doesnt matter if u keep choking and not get pp so long as ur gradually improving ur scores for other maps
ZenithPhantasm
Take a break then come back and play more
Barusamikosu
I second the advice about aim intensive 5* maps. My aim is still trash but it's at a different level of trash compared to a couple of months ago when I started getting serious.

Ask your friends for fun, unranked maps and start a collection.
ZenithPhantasm
When was Baru ever srs?
Barusamikosu
I like PP too. :^)
Clappy

chainpullz wrote:

a loli wrote:

bullshit
^ I second this. Most misses aren't because you were 2 pixels off. Most misses are due to bad timing in which case circle size is mostly irrelevant.

My misses are definitely a result of being x amount of pixels off (95% of the time).
Saphirshroom

Sailexk wrote:

You can try playing aim intensive 5* maps and stuff.
This is a good idea as long as you don't overdo it. If your aim were already bad and 5* made you flail your cursor around you'd get into bad habits. Try to hit every single note.
buny

Clappy wrote:

My misses are definitely a result of being x amount of pixels off (95% of the time).
i don't think he is talking about accuracy timing, and i am hoping he meant reading
chainpullz

a loli wrote:

Clappy wrote:

i don't think he is talking about accuracy timing, and i am hoping he meant reading
^
Nadfee
Look at all the circles.
Even if they pop up fast (e.g higher AR) or are in weird patterns, try to keep track of each and every one circle you hit.
Your eyes will eventually get confused but if you keep practicing, you will become less disoriented with looking at all the circles and it will help you reassure that you are hitting the circles.

I find that most of the times I miss jumps is because I don't actually look at the circle, I just see it on the side of my eye and try to jump to it and eventually miss.
Topic Starter
zTk11z
Thanks guys this is really helpful feed back :) Don't suppose some one could recommend an aim intensive 5* map? and just for the record I am trying to improve and not farm, do you see any Dt on me? :P xD
Ninonuko
I can't farm dt though. Almost every decent dt pp on my top ranks are from trying hard.
Roxy Lalonde
4.5 is a bit of a strange time because I've noticed many maps start to take on Extra-level patterns with overall less spacing/note density difficulty. It's important that you should improve your reading for these maps.
Originality
Hey!

I'm in almost the exact same scenario as you (except it looks like you're a bit ahead of me!), it's like the 4.5* maps are this impassable wall. Some of them are easy, and others are just insanely difficult -- streaming is the death of me right now.

I can't recommend any specific 5* maps, but if you go download some of the beatmap packs (https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist) there are plenty of great songs to practice on in there. Most upper level (5-6*) Honeyworks maps are easier than their difficulty implies as well, and imo are good for working on aim/jumping. It also looks like you've been steadily improving from your pp graph (which by far isn't the only measurement of skill), but that suggests that what you're doing right now is working, just keep on practicing, and don't forget to have fun! :D

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Take a break then come back and play more
Oh, and this works wonders ^^
ZenithPhantasm
Play less and play more is best advice 8-)
markii

zTk11z wrote:

I've hit a skill wall for about the past month or so and finding it really hard to improve. It seems that my main flaw is that I'm really in consistent with jumps no matter how much I play and on top of that I just choke at 90% of my plays lately as well. Any advice on how I may become more consistent at 4.5 star maps, been playing them for ages now and no improvement. Thanks :)

You're performance graph shows steady improvement with no flat spots or dips, you are improving boy quit lyin, also your historical graph shows you are playing less so "no matter how much I play" seems to not apply here because you've played dramatically less than you used to over the passed 2 months.
Topic Starter
zTk11z

chainpullz wrote:

Just to check what was causing me to break most of the time during my jumps I replayed my breaks back today and I found that 90% of the time its that I undershoot a random circle in the pattern, I just pull away too early to go to the next circle. This is very much the case in stars or similar jump patterns. Seems the more intense the back and forth motions are the more likely I am to do it. The only case that I find I am off time is in cross map jumps, but at the level I play atm, as there aren't too many. What would be the recommended action correcting this undershooting of circles?
chainpullz

zTk11z wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Just to check what was causing me to break most of the time during my jumps I replayed my breaks back today and I found that 90% of the time its that I undershoot a random circle in the pattern, I just pull away too early to go to the next circle. This is very much the case in stars or similar jump patterns. Seems the more intense the back and forth motions are the more likely I am to do it. The only case that I find I am off time is in cross map jumps, but at the level I play atm, as there aren't too many. What would be the recommended action correcting this undershooting of circles?
I would put these under the category of misses due to bad reading and as is my opinion the most common cause of misses. Just focus really hard on moving your pen/mouse to the beat. Not necessarily snapping but making sure that you move in time with the tempo of the music. Oh, and don't panic when the music is heading towards a climax. Usually there's not any actual change in tempo, it just feels like it.
Topic Starter
zTk11z
I would put these under the category of misses due to bad reading and as is my opinion the most common cause of misses. Just focus really hard on moving your pen/mouse to the beat. Not necessarily snapping but making sure that you move in time with the tempo of the music. Oh, and don't panic when the music is heading towards a climax. Usually there's not any actual change in tempo, it just feels like it.[/quote]

Oki will try that thanks ;)
chainpullz
Tfw
theLiminator
It's 90% likely to be reading. I've been stuck in a rut for the past 4 months or so, being unable to FC anything. But after focusing on my reading, I've been way more consistent. Still lacking a lot of speed and accuracy, but my aim is way better. Just fc'd a few aim intensive maps today.

Try removing followpoints, I've found that it helped me to focus on reading instead of using peripheral vision.
Topic Starter
zTk11z

theLiminator wrote:

It's 90% likely to be reading. I've been stuck in a rut for the past 4 months or so, being unable to FC anything. But after focusing on my reading, I've been way more consistent. Still lacking a lot of speed and accuracy, but my aim is way better. Just fc'd a few aim intensive maps today.

Try removing followpoints, I've found that it helped me to focus on reading instead of using peripheral vision.
You know what know I've been thinking on it a while I'm really starting to agree with the idea that reading is the problem. I definitely rely on peripheral vision a lot and on top of that lately I have only been getting 4.5 -6 hrs sleep which has to effect my focus on reading properly. Thanks I'll try that and see how it goes :3
Topic Starter
zTk11z
Also I find that another smaller % of my breaks are where I just put the cursor over the circle and don't click it for some reason then move onto the next one a click it, all is time accurate during the jump, I just decide to not click it for some strange reason XD is this reading also?
Endaris
That's hand synchronisation.
Which isn't reading in particular but important nonetheless. Your aim should be to move your cursor for your taphand to click not the other way around.
Topic Starter
zTk11z
Guys, I'll be be honest I think yes, aim,reading and hand synchronization are a problem that I had when I play osu but, I think whats really making this skill wall hard is that I've been playing too much and I'm getting too worked up about this whole thing. Ever since I posted this everyday I've been getting worse and worse at osu. For instance today I've broke on everything I have played hard, insane,normal you name it. Until this point I have played 3-5 hours most days, a little less so lately seeming as I just can't stand to play it as much :/ I have only taken 7 days off ever having not played osu at all that day because I feel I lose so much skill just by taking a day off and I do, had a 2 day break once and it was like I had lost months of practice, took 2 weeks to get its half back :/ The fun in osu is really fading for me now though and I really think I just need sometime off from it. I know this sounds like really down and depressing but honestly lately osu has just made me feel like shit when I play it because its like all time I put into playing it is wasted. Sorry for sounding pathetic, thanks.

tl;dr: How long do you recommend taking a break from osu for without it effecting my ability to much?
Endaris
Focus on different things.
Identify your specific problems and work on them. If there's a wall it means that you just can't force your way through as you will hurt yourself while trying.

It's not about taking a break it's about your mental state and how you look at the game. If you play osu! to succeed over increasingly hard maps(which is my impression) you might want to question that mindset as this game is too difficult to consistently push through for most people especially without a good mindset.
chainpullz
Taking a break won't affect your ability. In fact, I usually play better after going a long time being unable to play. It's a good way to reset any sort of bad habits and non-map specific muscle memory isn't so cheap that it vanishes overnight, in a week, etc.
Roxy Lalonde

Endaris wrote:

If you play osu! to succeed over increasingly hard maps(which is my impression) you might want to question that mindset as this game is too difficult to consistently push through for most people especially without a good mindset.
it is possible to eat an elephant but not in one sitting

you must take it bite by bite
Endaris
We know how snakes work right?
Manysi
What did I say? Enjoy the game...
If you cant then find a way to do so. You just have to play for fun, improvement will come sooner or later. Try looking for other ways to satisfy yourself.
Dont go just for an fc, passing hard maps is fun too.