forum

[resolved] Cannot change release stream

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
idjiot
Problem Details: I'm on linux running osu! through wine, and I cannot change my release stream at all after switching from cuttingedge to stable fallback. On the options menu clicking to switch to cuttingedge, beta, or stable all do nothing. It checks to see if my osu is up to date but does not change the release stream and I am permanently stuck on fallback. I have tried a fresh install of the game, and when it opened for the first time I tried to switch to cutting edge directly after logging in, but had the same issue.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K973sE ... e=youtu.be

osu! version: 20151026.3 (Stable Fallback)
peppy
Changing release stream is intentionally restricted when running under operating systems which can't support it.
Topic Starter
idjiot
I was able to change release streams without issue up until the point when I changed to stable fallback though...
peppy
You should be able to force a particular release stream by changing the ReleaseStream value in osu!.cfg and running "osu!.exe - repair" or adding an empty .require_update to the osu! folder before running.
Topic Starter
idjiot
If I change the _ReleaseStream value in osu!.cfg to anything besides Stable, it gets instantly changed back to Stable as soon as I start the game for probably the same reason that it was still stuck on fallback after a fresh install of the game
peppy
Did you run osu! with the argument or with the extra file? It should force the updater to start, not the osu! game.
Topic Starter
idjiot
I ran it with the blank .require_update file in and it did start the updater, which "updated" the game and then started the game afterwards which was still on the fallback release stream and I was still unable to change it. When I went back and checked the osu!.cfg file it had changed the _ReleaseStream value back to Stable.
sarnex
I'm having the same issue using WINE on Linux. I've tried setting the OS to XP, 7 or 10. In game It's Stable(Fallback) and iit just says up to date if I try to change it. If I change the osu.cfg and try the file or --repair, the updater launches but says up to date and just launches.

Thanks
bewilder
Having the same problem as well on Arch, installed from the AUR; however, I also installed osu! manually and the issue still occurs. I've tried all of the above and nothing works. Any pointers? I was definitely able to install osu! and change the release stream before and it worked perfectly and it only recently started to do this.
Topic Starter
idjiot
I fixed my issue by starting osu on windows, switching to cutting edge there and copy pasting the dlls and configs from there to the osu! folder on my ubuntu partition then forcing the updater to start.
bewilder

Jeebasaurus wrote:

I fixed my issue by starting osu on windows, switching to cutting edge there and copy pasting the dlls and configs from there to the osu! folder on my ubuntu partition then forcing the updater to start.
Thing is I don't have a windows machine to do that on ;__; . Is there any other way?
Topic Starter
idjiot
No other way that i'm aware of dont you have a laptop or a friend's pc you could use a usb to copy the files from?
bewilder

Jeebasaurus wrote:

No other way that i'm aware of dont you have a laptop or a friend's pc you could use a usb to copy the files from?
Yeah, I asked a friend for it he gave it to me. Shouldn't have to do this though. It worked perfectly fine just a couple months ago.
Ixendr
Hi there.

I've just stumbled upon the very same problem.

As even yesterday updates on Beta stream fully worked for me, I don't think it's a matter of some update in particular being incompatible with Wine/Linux.

On the other hand, fresh copy installed from today's osu!install.exe locks-in too.
None of proposed solutions (changing the _ReleaseStream and launching with .require_update file or with -repair flag) works - updater starts and tells that osu~ is already up to date, then the game starts, and _ReleaseStream value is reset.

In osu!.cfg I see a lot of h_filename = hash pairs (15 lines).
As Jeebasaurus mentioned copying DLL-s from a working installation, this may or may not be related.

As for what triggered it for me - I changed renderer to "compatibility" mode, as sometimes osu! crashed randomly at beatmap selection screen (not really often), and I was wondering if this setting will help anything. Osu restarted immediately after checking the checkbox, downgraded to Stable (Fallback) and entered the lock-in.
Removing (renaming) the osu!name.cfg config file didn't help for the lock-in.

I have a backup from a few weeks ago of the whole wineprefix with osu! installed on laptop.
I will try to restore from it and tell if it helped.

peppy, would you be able to tell us about what triggers the "Stable (Fallback) lock-in" mechanism?

Aside from "intentionally restricted when running under operating systems which can't support it" - my system could support is yesterday, but for others the lock-in happened earlier, so it seems to be too random for "an incompatible update has been just released" kind of situation.

People having problem mentioned in this thread are probably technical (I am a programmer and using Linux for 3 years myself), so please, don't tell us things that you would tell to children who don't know how to really use their PC (Sorry, but "intentionally restricted" really does sound that bad).

Oh, and why can't I just happily use the fallback version? Well, for some reason performance drops to ~20FPS, welp.

Sorry for the long post. >_<
Ixendr
I managed my lazy self to restore from a copy. Currently on beta release stream, works and upgrades to newest beta without problems.

But the root cause of the fallback-stable-release-lock-in remains a mystery...
Nemo12
Running in the exact same situation:

1. Wine user
  2. Was on Beta release
  3. Checked Compatibility Mode
  4. From there, osu! crashed and, when restarted, went into Stable (Fallback) mode (which reduced FPS drastically)
I can't get out either. I tried creating a file `.require_update` as well as running osu! with `-repair`. Both didn't work.
I modified the `_ReleaseStream` key from the config file to Beta (it indicates Stable though), and ran the -repair, but it changed back to Stable and is still not working.
Pawsu
Please don't bump old threads, instead make a new thread.