forum

New "For Fun" PP System?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +11
Topic Starter
Chrli
Hey there, I recently came up with a little idea for osu! and I would love to see if it gets anywhere.
Basically I was thinking of a new pp system, nothing to change the one now this is purely for fun! With the two mods "Autopilot & Relax" Many people use these sometimes ranging in reasons like:

1. One of your hands ache so you don't want to aim or tap.
2. Its fun to chill, lay back and just tap away without aiming.
3. You can focus on practicing either aiming or tapping one at a time then together once use to both? :) (Sometimes I find this easier personally idk)
4. You get to experiment on maps! See if you can aim a map, see if you can tap it... either one works ;D

Basically what im asking is, could we get a second pp counter? Yea sounds weird now right ;D Well thing is you could add it a little faded out in color
~For example~ For being the normal pp counter and example being the faded version of the specified color.
This counter will be like a "Fun & Experimental" counter.

Now you may be thinking what is the point in this... well if its ok id like to add some reasons id personally love this feature:

1. I enjoy experimenting with maps and having fun doing so.
2. Sometimes my tapping hand hurts but i don't want to stop playing so i use the relax mod.
3. If a map has a bunch of jumping in it but its that good that i just need to play it! I would use the autopilot mod :)

For others:
1. Some people have RSI so this could be a way to "Earn pp & Chill 8-) "
2. Its something new for a 7+ year old game ;)
3. You can earn pp scores you wouldn't normally earn if you have trouble aiming and tapping together :^)

Now another little thing is that recently my mouse actually broke so im stuck using a Microsoft mouse until i buy a new mouse. I don't think im the only one having this issue ;P Its one of the reasons i play the mods too so that i can stay involved with the game. Basically for any of the users out there who have broken their pens, mouses and anything else you use. These mods would be good for you to stay involved. But sometimes people think they're boring because of the fact you don't "earn" anything when playing them right? Thats why this pp system could be implemented. If we can play the mods we enjoy after a long day of work, or aching arms. Whatever the reason may be... But still earn pp? That would be nice and interesting.

One thing you may be thinking is about the fact you actually get no fail while using these mods... Now I haven't got a perfect solution for this. As its just an idea so im happy if you choose to have it or not, I just really wanted to try getting in since i know i would personally LOVE this. :P I was thinking is there a way you could maybe add a second option? Like with the sudden death and double time mods they have night core and perfect right? could you add a new one for autopilot and relax maybe just a + sign. Take the no fail away and then boom. Relax+ and Autopilot+ Earning pp having fun whats not to love ;D

Evaluation (short idea):
Basically I would like a new pp system that doesn't effect the normal one. The count can be faded out next to it and its purely for fun. Relax+ and Autopilot+ mods added into the game to either earn pp or just play without earning pp. aka no-fail either on or off... Now one other thing is for the other modes... Ive only really thought of this for standard but if there could be one for other modes then im sure this community can think of something :3 I can try helping.. Im not great with game programming or stuff so my idea could be impossible for all I know! Im just curious if its decent or not :D Anyway. Happy gaming.

If I missed anything or you have bonus ideas please feel free to say and ill get back to you as soon as i can since im at comic con tomorrow. :L If you like the idea support it ;) If you hate it, thankyou for taking the time to read this anyway! Means alot that someone would actually pay attention to my idea :^)
Just a little thank you to my friend Neutral for helping me :3

~ Charlie/Charlieesh :)
abraker
If this is just for RX or AP mod, then might as well put them into the main pp system. Also, it's not worth wasting resources by making a copy system for something that has little value.
Bara-
Not needed, they are unranked mods for a reason
Also, it has been requested countless times before (can't search, stupid wifi here in germany)
Topic Starter
Chrli

Baraatje123 wrote:

Not needed, they are unranked mods for a reason
Also, it has been requested countless times before (can't search, stupid wifi here in germany)
They may be un-ranked mods but that doesn't mean they're not used and they wouldn't be fun to earn something from. Hint the second version. Thanks for the feedback though.

abraker wrote:

If this is just for RX or AP mod, then might as well put them into the main pp system. Also, it's not worth wasting resources by making a copy system for something that has little value.
Putting them into the main system would break it for one, for two having little value may be slightly true but alot of people use these mods for whatever the reason may be my idea was just so they can earn something and have more fun then normal. Thanks for the feedback though.
abraker
Honestly I am not 100% sure why those mods are unranked. Is it because we don't know how they affect difficulty? Is it because those those mods are so worthless that people wont even bother with them? Or is it becuase they change the gameplay mechanics so much that it is unfair to compare a play with those mods to a normal play?
Topic Starter
Chrli

abraker wrote:

Honestly I am not 100% sure why those mods are unranked. Is it because we don't know how they affect difficulty? Is it because those those mods are so worthless that people wont even bother with them? Or is it becuase they change the gameplay mechanics so much that it is unfair to compare a play with those mods to a normal play?
Ill just be honest now, my idea was plain for fun and you seem to be taking it to a whole new level of what it would do to effect the actual ranking system. The thing is? It doesn't. So why should it matter about what the mode does if its for fun to give something new to an old game? Just my opinion to be fair.
Surono
yeah pp for fun.. but forget pp, your playing is for fun :U earn pp with unrank mods.. ugh spam pp system4boring
Topic Starter
Chrli

Surono wrote:

yeah pp for fun.. but forget pp, your playing is for fun :U earn pp with unrank mods.. ugh spam pp system4boring
I don't really get why you think this would make people forget about normal pp earning. This is mainly just experimenting and things, Relax and Autopilot without no fail would be interesting in my opinion.
Seijiro
I highly guess peppy has better things to focus on right now and implementing something just "for fun" is out of question if I were him for sure.
Tho, you could try making it on your own and see if people gets addicted to it: if that happens I guess peppy will implement it, but for now it looks like a waste of time and resources imo

Awarding those mods with pp is pointless since you don't really play the game anymore
Topic Starter
Chrli

MrSergio wrote:

I highly guess peppy has better things to focus on right now and implementing something just "for fun" is out of question if I were him for sure.
Tho, you could try making it on your own and see if people gets addicted to it: if that happens I guess peppy will implement it, but for now it looks like a waste of time and resources imo

Awarding those mods with pp is pointless since you don't really play the game anymore
I just want to point out that using relax and autopilot currently doesn't really count as you doing something on the game, I do play the game. I just don't pass many maps as my aim is pretty bad with my current replacement of my mouse.

Along with the waste of time and resources, this idea isn't for everyone I get that. Thanks for the feedback though, helps me know what people want I guess. Along with the "resource" thing, Ill admit im not sure what that really means since I don't have experience in that part of game making or what it comes under... this was just an idea in the first place.
pkhg

ap best mod <3
i hope it can be rankable at some point ;w;
Topic Starter
Chrli

pkhg wrote:

ap best mod <3
i hope it can be rankable at some point ;w;
Very nice ;) Thankyou for the support c:
Adam_xplay
<333 :D
Jaxalotl
To be honest, I like your concept of using these mods to give a second PP score for those who are unable to play like they use to for specific reasons and for those who just want to relax/chill.

But you've got that aspect of new players who use Relax and Autopilot. When I first joined, I used those mods and got SS's on insane diffs and extra+. So there wouldn't be a real test of skill. You'd have people that could SS straight off the bat, meaning that there would literally be people that could get to number 1 in the leaderboards after 60 days or less. So there is no competition. But you can solve that by making specifically designed maps though. You could have them even harder than most maps made now, like Priti's ultra maps. You could increase Jumps, spaced streams, high BPM songs and circle sizes. This would make up for competition. You can even try and add higher AR as some people are managing to read AR's of 10.3+ which is incredibly fast and tricky to read.
This could also make maps longer than 10 minutes nice to play if you just want to relax.

I do like your idea, but in the day and age we are in at this game, there really wouldn't be much of a point. The people that suffer from problems with their hands and fingers have played this game so much that they are high enough in a leaderboard that they could quit now and come back in 6 months time and not much would have changed because from 2012 maps have gotten so different that new styles have been adapted and that means this game is forever changing and progressing.

So the real question is, do we really need this? We may as well just have replays saved instead and a counter of the PP you would of gotten if you (SS nomod) (S nomod) (SS DT) ect ect. There really is no point making a copy of a PP system and changing it. We could simply just use an idea that I have generated above in the paragraph here.
Topic Starter
Chrli

Thor wrote:

To be honest, I like your concept of using these mods to give a second PP score for those who are unable to play like they use to for specific reasons and for those who just want to relax/chill.

But you've got that aspect of new players who use Relax and Autopilot. When I first joined, I used those mods and got SS's on insane diffs and extra+. So there wouldn't be a real test of skill. You'd have people that could SS straight off the bat, meaning that there would literally be people that could get to number 1 in the leaderboards after 60 days or less. So there is no competition. But you can solve that by making specifically designed maps though. You could have them even harder than most maps made now, like Priti's ultra maps. You could increase Jumps, spaced streams, high BPM songs and circle sizes. This would make up for competition. You can even try and add higher AR as some people are managing to read AR's of 10.3+ which is incredibly fast and tricky to read.
This could also make maps longer than 10 minutes nice to play if you just want to relax.

I do like your idea, but in the day and age we are in at this game, there really wouldn't be much of a point. The people that suffer from problems with their hands and fingers have played this game so much that they are high enough in a leaderboard that they could quit now and come back in 6 months time and not much would have changed because from 2012 maps have gotten so different that new styles have been adapted and that means this game is forever changing and progressing.

So the real question is, do we really need this? We may as well just have replays saved instead and a counter of the PP you would of gotten if you (SS nomod) (S nomod) (SS DT) ect ect. There really is no point making a copy of a PP system and changing it. We could simply just use an idea that I have generated above in the paragraph here.
Well i have rsi in my left hand meaning sometimes i cant tap, im not super high ranked lol so in 6 months alot would change. Also I wasnt really thinking of having a leaderboard for this its more just a personal pp counter for you to have for yourself for fun. But hey. I just thought of this because out of the 7 million users signed up, even if most dont play. There surely are more people like me who would like to have ranked versions of these mods with nofail so idk i thought of a new pp system just to think that we could get ranked mods that way. Plus personally i would love to earn pp from those mods for fun, if i could do that solo i would but idk how to edit the game and i doubt i can haha ;p Thanks for the feedback though. :)
abraker

abraker wrote:

I still havent gotten an answer .

Charlieesh wrote:

Ill just be honest now, my idea was plain for fun and you seem to be taking it to a whole new level of what it would do to effect the actual ranking system. The thing is? It doesn't. So why should it matter about what the mode does if its for fun to give something new to an old game? Just my opinion to be fair.
That's critical though. If the mod is ranked unbalanced, then what is the point of a leaderboard? It will just show fake rakings. You dont play for fun if you want it ranked so badly. You can play for fun without it. Adding leaderboards, rating systems, etc had only ever shown an increase in competition since you can put one player above the other more easily. You might want it "for fun" but consider that the natural implications of such wont result "for fun" in most peoples' minds.
- Sugoi Sugoi -
I don't see the fun in this..
Chemistry
if relax was a ranked mod everyone would just spam mendes dmc etc
same with ap they just spam jump maps
GhostFrog
You would need to come up with a separate difficulty algorithm for relax and autopilot before this could be feasible, for hopefully obvious reasons. Using current aim and speed values wouldn't really be right, since part of the difficulty of aiming comes from the need to tap in sync with aiming and part of the difficulty of tapping comes from needing to do it while moving your cursor and etc. I don't foresee people caring enough about this to make that worth figuring out.

And on top of that, peppy is against even having the option to have relax/autopilot show your score/combo/misses during play (has denied that request repeatedly) so the chances of getting him to sign off on this one are pretty much zero.

Also, I don't think that "for fun" and "pp system" make sense together but that's neither here nor there....
Topic Starter
Chrli
Just a quick thanks to all who commented, nice to hear feedback. Also sorry if the idea was that bad... you all seem to have lots of problems with it lol. Personally I was thinking just no leaderboards it would mainly be a singleplayer pp system not really multiplayer related which is why i said for fun. Its a personal counter ykno? But since peppy denied it in the past which i didnt know since im bad at research. personal issue. Uh, yea I thought why not try this. But yea seems chances are very low haha thanks anyway all :)

~ Charlie
neko cookies
don't really think it's needed, but might make things worse because some people might try JUST for the other PP, and make it a competition like it already is. i guess it doesnt bother me that they'd do that but people bragging about their fun pp from blindly using RLX on a stream compilation map. PP is for fun anyways, the whole thing is, it's a game tho some people dont agree with me on that i guess
[ Haruka ]_old_1
Just an idea.. what if this "pp system" is offline. The PP are calculated by the client and saved in your scores.db, so it never would upload, no change to the banco and database system. Also, this would kill the argument that people could tryhard extremely high diff maps to get to 1st of this second leaderboard in no time, because it doesn't exist. Another feature to this would be, that unranked or unsubmitted maps can give "offline PP". There is some amount of coding, especially if you want to implement a personal "best 'alternate' PP performances" overview page, because this have to be implemented in the Client itself.

As I said, only an idea~
abraker

[ Haruka ] wrote:

Just an idea.. what if this "pp system" is offline.
peppy will not allow anything that promotes offline play. He wants it to be an online game.
Topic Starter
Chrli

abraker wrote:

[ Haruka ] wrote:

Just an idea.. what if this "pp system" is offline.
peppy will not allow anything that promotes offline play. He wants it to be an online game.
Thankyou for clearing that up :) I guess its a no go.