forum

Serious talk about "anime"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
With pewdiepie tossing the term "Anime" left and right in the video I hope you already saw, it bothers me again that we have no solid term encompassing the idea we are trying to refer to. Volcaloid, Touhou, Pippi, etc are all part of that idea that we mistakenly call "anime". According to Oxford's dictionary, anime is
  • A style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.
So according to that definition, anime is only animated media. "A style" is a crucial part of it, but to umbrella it under "television animation" is limiting some huge part of what we think is anime but is not. Let's see if Merriam-Webster's dictionary offers anything promising,
  • "a style of animation that was created in Japan and that uses colorful images, strong characters, and stories that have a lot of action"
Ok we have "a style of animation", meaning that still images of this concept we are trying to describe are already out the question. Then we have this, "and stories that have a lot of action". Does Lucky Star have a lot of action? 5 Centimeters per Second? Not sure what Merriam-Webster was thinking when they came up with that definition, but, uh no.

Granted it seems the word "anime" is shaky as is, what we need is a term that describes more than that. Something that we can say and refer to Volcaloid, Touhou, Visual Novels, Pippi, and even now debatable things like Avatar: The Last Airbender without running into this who-knows-how-long of a debate of whether "x" is anime or not.

So what do you guys think?
Aurani
>Avatar
>Anime
You lost me there, mate.

Sure, Anime = Cartoons, but Anime as a name is tied to Japanese cartoons specifically, and Avatar is not from Japan.

You can describe all the pictures, games, anime and whatnot as "East-Asian Media Art", without the need to use the term "anime" at all. It couldn't be simpler.
B1rd
Ah, the guy who gets ultra technical about things that don't matter.
Granger
What Aurani said. The solution is already there.

Also, You're waiifu a shit.
Nameless

Granger wrote:

Oh boy, abraker must be so triggered right now.
It'd be pretty funny if he actually is, but it's probably borderline impossible.

OT (on topic): Anime = Japanese animation/cartoon.
I find it extremely cringe-inducing when people use the term "anime" to describe things that aren't anime.
It's as simple as that. Nothing more needs to be said, but more will be said anyway because this is OT -- the sub-forum known for shitposting and going too deep.

I'm done here.
Topic Starter
abraker

Aurani wrote:

Sure, Anime = Cartoons, but Anime as a name is tied to Japanese cartoons specifically, and Avatar is not from Japan.
Avatar =/= anime!!! That's what I am saying. Did I mess up on my wording or something?!?

Aurani wrote:

You can describe all the pictures, games, anime and whatnot as "East-Asian Media Art", without the need to use the term "anime" at all. It couldn't be simpler.
"East-Asian Media Art" doesn't sound very appealing. People would rather use "anime" and be wrong rather use that and be right as I have a hard time finding examples in which people use "East-Asian Media Art".

Nameless wrote:

I find it extremely cringe-inducing when people use the term "anime" to describe things that aren't anime.
THIS IS THE FREAKN' POINT OF THIS THREAD!!! People use "anime" to describe it as so for the lack of a better term. We need something that presents an idea that encompasses all the things those things that would not be "anime" but is still mistaken by those cringe-inducing people as such.

Granger wrote:

Expected worse from OT actually. My ideas don't reach many people the proper way, so flaming is expected.
dkun
you're in the wrong section of the forum if you expected any better, op
Topic Starter
abraker

dkun wrote:

I guess this can be moved to 75.
Nameless

abraker wrote:

THIS IS THE FREAKN' POINT OF THIS THREAD!!! People use "anime" to describe it as so for the lack of a better term. We need something that presents an idea that encompasses all the things those things that would not be "anime" but is still mistaken by those cringe-inducing people as such.
How about we just let people call it whatever they want, whether it's cringe-inducing or not? I don't see the harm in mistakenly calling some Japanese shit "anime". Also, we don't need a better term for Japanese art and what-not, a lot of Japanese shit is somewhat related and/or comparable to anime. Besides, when someone mistakenly calls something anime, it's usually pretty obvious what they mean.

Also, you should've posted this in Otaku Culture from the beginning. You should know that you're going to get fuck all from Off-Topic if you ask for a serious discussion.
Topic Starter
abraker

Nameless wrote:

Besides, when someone mistakenly calls something anime, it's usually pretty obvious what they mean.

Nameless wrote:

Uh... ok :\

EDIT:

Nameless wrote:

Also, you should've posted this in Otaku Culture from the beginning. You should know that you're going to get fuck all from Off-Topic if you ask for a serious discussion.
Yea should have figured
Nameless

abraker wrote:

EDIT:

Nameless wrote:

Yea should have figured
It's okay, we all make mistakes.
Cyclohexane
Preaching
to
the
goddamn
choir

we're all in check with what we consider anime and not here; that's not the issue - it's outsiders who jampack it all together. i don't really get it either. it's drawn in a manga style, so people automatically assume it is from one and there's nothing wrong with that. people who aren't particularly interested in that kind of thing don't care. trust me, they don't.

if that "triggers" you, then i suggest getting some self-control lessons to get over yourself
Nameless

Mr Color wrote:

if that "triggers" you, then i suggest getting some self-control lessons to get over yourself
I couldn't agree more.
Gumpy

Mr Color wrote:

people who aren't particularly interested in that kind of thing don't care. trust me, they don't.
I was called gay once by a 13 year old for liking anime, woho
Nameless

Gumpyyy wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

people who aren't particularly interested in that kind of thing don't care. trust me, they don't.
I was called gay once by a 13 year old for liking anime, woho
You can't expect any better from a stereotypical 13 year old.
Bweh
It's mere semantics in an unimportant field. Whether we call it anime, anime and manga, or chinese cartoons shouldn't matter. These terms are always said in the spirit of media developed and driven by the Japanese culture. Anybody that knows what they're dealing with can make the distinction without getting so technical.

dkun wrote:

I dunno, this is actually pretty good for OT

Far too tainted to be moved, though.
Nameless

Brian OA wrote:

Ah, I see. Too bad. :l
Topic Starter
abraker

Brian OA wrote:

The painful truth

See you in heaven, thread
B1rd
Everything that comes into OT is tainted and has to be quarantined. Sorry abraker, you're not leaving.
Topic Starter
abraker

B1rd wrote:

Sorry abraker, you're not leaving.

B1rd wrote:

B1rd wrote:

LET ME OUT!!! I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!!!

Rilene

abraker wrote:

B1rd wrote:

B1rd wrote:

B1rd wrote:

LET ME OUT!!! I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!!!

You won't die, you are just stuck here for eternity.
Topic Starter
abraker

Rilene wrote:

=O That's worse! My brain will turn to fizz with all the shitposts! By that point, I'd rather be dead.
Aurani

Mr Color wrote:

Preaching
to
the
goddamn
choir

we're all in check with what we consider anime and not here; that's not the issue - it's outsiders who jampack it all together. i don't really get it either. it's drawn in a manga style, so people automatically assume it is from one and there's nothing wrong with that. people who aren't particularly interested in that kind of thing don't care. trust me, they don't.

So.... why in the world do you visit OT so often nowadays? You've become a lot more active since you resigned from being a mod.
Bweh

abraker wrote:

Rilene wrote:

=O That's worse! My brain will turn to fizz with all the shitposts! By that point, I'd rather be dead.
mm, you can maintain sanity by not shitposting
Topic Starter
abraker

Brian OA wrote:

mm, you can maintain sanity by not shitposting
Too late, I'm infected
Bweh
No, you're just weak.
show more