forum

Bad Apple, English remix. It's good, very good.

posted
Total Posts
show more
YuiiMugii
Oh, Christina Vee's dub?

It's been out for a while now.
Everyone already knows about.
Pokebis
But it's Bad Apple.
It can't be good or very good.
adam2046
Old news in the wrong place.
Can anybody say wasteland?
Sleep Powder
I've mapped her version of Super Driver~

I just haven't submitted it on osu! yet. If you want I can map Christina Vee songs.
IppE

Pokebis wrote:

But it's Bad Apple.
It can't be good or very good.
imo as a song its pretty good, its just getting bit old cause of constant repeating...
Lilac
This is old...

I know 3 people who have already mapped it but yet to submit it.

Yeah...
Jarby

MarioBros777 wrote:

I know 3 people who have already mapped it
RandomJibberish
Why am I the only one who thinks the vocals here are horribly over the top and painful
Mogsy
Oh god, not this shit again. Third time in three days I've been shown this.

This version of Bad Apple is horrendous. Sure, I don't even like Bad Apple to begin with, but that's not influencing my opinion in any way. The lyrics seem more like faux-emo-poetry from a high school emo's journal than any semblance of actual sorrow (I'm sorry, but the actual translation of Bad Apple is much deeper than this English version could ever hope to be). The vocals are horrible; they are overproduced and even distract from the backing music, but that could be blamed on the mixing of this recording, seeing how you can barely fucking hear the background when in the original they merged so well together. As far as the vocals go, it felt much too legato. If you want to bring your own interpretation to something, sure, that's fine, but don't make an interpretation that sounds like shit. Not every note needs to flow together as if this were a ballad, honey, Bad Apple had separated-sounding vocals to begin with.[/rage]
Lilac
Ephemeral actually said the opposite...

He found the English one better than the Japanese one because the English lyrics fit with the song more than the 'Japanese Touhou crap' (paraphrased)

Something like that anyway.
Mogsy
I honestly hate both versions, but lyrically, the English version sounds much too flowery. Word choice is key when writing any form of poetry (coughcoughsongwritingcough), and is usually very deliberate. This is one of the reasons why translations/lyrical re-writes to fit rhythms after translation seem to fail; translation usually does not pick up on the possible hidden meanings behind the word choice. This is no exception, and most of the lyrics come across as contrived and forced into these rhythms.

Please keep in mind, again, that I do not find Bad Apple good, nor do I find the straight translation of its lyrics to be phenomenal. I just find it more tolerable than the forced lyricism of this interpretation.

o no mogsy bein srs bout muzak wut haz dis wrld cum 2
NotShinta
Those vocals are shit, Japanese ones fit better and actually sound better.
Jinxy

MarioBros777 wrote:

Ephemeral actually said the opposite...

He found the English one better than the Japanese one because the English lyrics fit with the song more than the 'Japanese Touhou crap' (paraphrased)
I can't see how that works when the only thing touhou is the stuff that remains, the music.

Well, and the removed video is touhou too, I guess.
Xgor
Why does she sounds so much like a vocaloid :o
Shohei Ohtani
"Bad Apple"

"Good"

what.
dNextGen

NotShinta wrote:

second
Mogsy

Xgor wrote:

Because it was terribly mixed. She applied the same effects that were on the vocals in the original, but thanks to terrible mixing, it's much more obviously disgusting-sounding.
YuiiMugii

Xgor wrote:

Because Cristina Vee literally sounds like a vocaloid whenever she speaks.
GladiOol
Wow, this sounds even more horrible than the original, and that shit is HORRIBLE.
Wojjan
These lyrics are so cliché they hurt my ears.
Babble
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY EARS
Topic Starter
Zetta

GladiOol wrote:

Wow, this sounds even more horrible than the original, and that shit is HORRIBLE.

babble wrote:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY EARS

Wojjan wrote:

These lyrics are so cliché they hurt my ears.

NotShinta wrote:

....Well I like it. :)
Mogsy
It's not that we're trying to change your opinion, we're just offering our own input. I still think both versions are fucking awful.
Lilac
Randy96

MarioBros777 wrote:

The only good version is the German one.

</thread>
You know, that fit quite well in my opinion.
Mara

CDFA wrote:

"Bad Apple"

"Good"

what.
This.
Mogsy

MarioBros777 wrote:

The only good version is the German one.

</thread>
Still not so good stylistically and this is, in terms of vocal ability, the worst out of all of them.
Neo@lex
This doesn't deserve its own topic.
Also my opinion > your opinion.
Bad Apple is kawaii.
Cuddlebun

Mogsworth wrote:

It's not that we're trying to change you're opinion, we're just offering our own input. I still think both versions are fucking awful.
turn in your badge mogsy
Mogsy
What are you talking about? :V
SpacemanSpiff
This song is the exact reason why I have a problem with the following:

1) English VAs. Some aren't terrible, but Christina Vee is one of the most earbleed-inducing ones I've had to deal with. In all honestly, she belongs on youtube doing bad fandubs because that's what I feel like I'm listening to. Her voice just feels too underwhelming for what she voices. She sounds like the right age group, but it just feels a bit too forced. I'll give her credit for what she does, but all I can say is I wish someone else did it.

2) The English language / lack of accents in the language. It really shows in this song how dissonant and distorted the vocals of the English language are in the more natural accent (I suppose I sound like an ass to any other English-native country, but I will go on the assumption it isn't "too" different vocally between the US and any other English-natvie country.).

A good amount of European languages and virtually all Asian langauges have really good accent harmonics, even in English (I'll go ahead and say it's a hit or miss, on the far ends of the spectrum). It's hard to explain beyond that. Just compare some good English songs you listen to with other languages and take note of the words and accents, there tends to be a notable difference, at least to me.

Maybe my #2 was a bit biased, I generally take a lot of concern for my vocal harmonics. If case #1 didn't exist, I probably would have said nothing besides saying the generic "leave it in Japanese please".
Buni_old
no one is forcing you to listen to the English fandub.
SpacemanSpiff

Buni wrote:

No, but I do have to listen for a few seconds out of sheer curiousity. I also feel the need to justify disliking something. "It sounds bad" doesn't seem to validate anything, at least to me it doesn't.
Firo Prochainezo

Buni wrote:

Instant rage.
Buni_old

mrmike503 wrote:

Buni wrote:

No, but I do have to listen for a few seconds out of sheer curiousity. I also feel the need to justify disliking something. "It sounds bad" doesn't seem to validate anything, at least to me it doesn't.
I know right
Andriani
I like the original more, the english is one is just too weird :)
Ephemeral
lyricizing anything to another language is going to lose some of its original meaning in the process as the inherent way music is written factors into account how a language actually sounds with the music. granted that bad apple's lyrics are pretty hard to translate because of the strange way that the darker topics are sung about in japanese music, the fact that CV managed to sing something that keeps some semblance of the ordinary song in tone and presence is an admirable effort

however, the fucking moron which created her 'karaoke' backing for the song needs to be shot and burned because the stupid motherfucker used center channel extraction which makes the entire thing sound like chipmunks are playing with pots and pans in the background

it certainly isnt better than the original, but it is about as close as you'll ever get to hearing an equivalent in the english language.
Faust
I want to throw these things at someone now.
Firo Prochainezo

Faust wrote:

I want to throw these things at someone now.
Nekoroll
For the first half minute I didn't think it was that bad. Then I kept listening for the next minute and started noticing how she almost makes herself yell when trying to hit the higher notes and all that voice straining made my ears say "FUCK THIS SHIT".

Or I could just say that it sounded fine up until she started singing. :V

Faust wrote:

I want to throw these bad apples at someone now.
show more