forum

Graphic's card discussions (and other hardware)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko
I don't know where the graphics are going to go to next, i just know that even mid end dx11 cards from 2010 can still run modern games on low with playable frames.. And those that they can't can still be made playable by reducing resolution, and the 970 is considered a high-end card, so?.. a decent investment. I'd just worry about when microsoft's next API [dx13?] comes out because that's going to be when you'll need a replacement and no amount of tinkering with settings or resolution can save you, but that's so far in the future at least 5 years probably more like 6-7.

Optimization gets worse and worse though, and vram might become an issue sooner than expected even for such resolutions. Aside from that, the only real issues i can see popping up is due to dx12 maxwell driver implementation much later from now. I feel like when this card is no longer sufficient it's going to be because of compatibility issues not because it doesn't have enough horsepower unless you're one of those people that needs to crank all the settings to max and buy every new AAA game that comes out, in which case this card is only going to satisfy you for a year or 2.

so all that considered...
3-4 years is a very, very conservative estimate and assumes that everything that can go wrong [optimization reaching a fever pitch of bad, compatibility problems, driver implementation constraints] will go wrong.

MSI's 3 year warranty on graphics card is a confident statement in their quality, and of course that's because they know that in all likelihood you won't need it in that time frame, but you might end up with it dying after the warranty but before you need a new one, so if an extended warranty is an option, it might be worth it if you game quite a lot. I'm not sure if they're doing that though, I don't remember that option ever existing as I never looked for one.
Zelda
Welp.

Also 970 is a decent graphics meme as long as you don't use more than 3.5GB VRAM.
The Gambler
I hear the 380-380X are also compelling value against the 970 as well

Also, I want recommendations for a microcontroller for use with an arcade controller build. I will build it with more than 10 switches/buttons so one with lots of sockets will help.
Flanster

Zelda wrote:

Welp.

Also 970 is a decent graphics meme as long as you don't use more than 3.5GB VRAM.
Lol I bought a 500gb EVO 850 a month ago.

dNextGen wrote:

maybe it's because you are on eastern europe lel
Got me there!
dNextGen

The Gambler wrote:

I hear the 380-380X are also compelling value against the 970 as well

Also, I want recommendations for a microcontroller for use with an arcade controller build. I will build it with more than 10 switches/buttons so one with lots of sockets will help.
not really i guess, actually i dont see the 380/X as an attractive card at all, the 7970 seems like a better buy even though it's a 2011 card

the gap is kinda of huge if you compare it to the 970/390

erikG wrote:

I'm thinking about purchasing a GTX970 this Friday (If it is affordable)
Any thoughts?
just grab the 290 and be done with it like me fam

tbh the performance gap between the 290 and 970 isn't that huge either, i was thinking about grabbing the 970 months ago, but someone suddenly someone shows up and tries to sell me his 290 tri-x for $210, the 970 is like $170-$180 higher in my place.

----------------------------------

also post computing internals : how do i cable management edition

Endie-

dNextGen wrote:

tbh the performance gap between the 290 and 970 isn't that huge either, i was thinking about grabbing the 970 months ago, but someone suddenly someone shows up and tries to sell me his 290 tri-x for $210, the 970 is like $170-$180 higher in my place.
The card I mentioned just went up on sale. The decision has been made :3
IppE

dNextGen wrote:

not really i guess, actually i dont see the 380/X as an attractive card at all, the 7970 seems like a better buy even though it's a 2011 card
The whole 300 series is kind of a joke considering nothing is new aside from the Fiji chips.

In comparison the 380X and the 7970 are fairly similar, so unless you're actually using more than 3GB of vram the 7970 is actually a better bang for your buck.
Vuelo Eluko
would you really recommend a 4 year old card though?
no doubt its still beastly but it's also dx11.1

dNextGen wrote:

it's obviously the better performance:dollar ratio then
dNextGen

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

would you really recommend a 4 year old card though?
no doubt its still beastly but it's also dx11.1
well if i were to build a pc today i'd definitely buy any 7970/670/680 if i can get em dirt cheap

imo those are still relevant to this day
Vuelo Eluko
power wise yes but looking into the future compatibility issues galore, 11.1 doesnt mean its going to be compatible with 12, i learned the hard way when i fell into the 10.1 meme
IppE
Depends entirely on who is buying the card though. Personally I wouldn't give a rat's ass about DX12 support because I wont even be running an OS that supports it.
TakuMii
The DirectX version on the box shouldn't even be a deciding factor on a GPU purchase right now... DX12 is already being supported by Nvidia and AMD on cards as old as Fermi (GTX460) and GCN 1.0 (HD7730). It might matter when DX12.1 or DX13 comes out (and that's only if they do something to break compatibility), but that's still further down the road.
Vuelo Eluko
are there any fermi cards left that haven't evaporated from their own heat? wow
IppE

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

My old 460 is still running in my dad's computer. I used to call it a defective fermi since it wouldn't go above 62 degrees celcius.
TakuMii

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

I think my dad's still running my brother's old dual 460s, but they're set up with custom coolers, so it's not too bad.
Vuelo Eluko

IppE wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

My old 460 is still running in my dad's computer. I used to call it a defective fermi since it wouldn't go above 62 degrees celcius.
are you sure? could have been a faulty thermometer, did you hit that shit with an infrared sensor?
A Medic

LoliFlan wrote:

Looks like a pigeon cage
Intel Xeon is cheap? I need to stop living in the 3rd world.

They are extremely cost efficient. If you don't like overclocking/Don't want to/cant it provides near top i7 performance for an i5 cost.

And you don't have to spend and extra on water cooling loops/custom cooling.
dNextGen
i want to step up my game but i dont want to spend $300 on jewtel's i7 and Zen is taking too long to be released to public

what a sad times
A Medic

dNextGen wrote:

i want to step up my game but i dont want to spend $300 on jewtel's i7 and Zen is taking too long to be released to public
what a sad times

Wait and save up some more for zen. Even if you don't plan on getting the Zen chip, the last generation of chips will drop in price a bit.
Vuelo Eluko

A Medic wrote:

dNextGen wrote:

what a sad times
Wait and save up some more for zen. Even if you don't plan on getting the Zen chip, the last generation of chips will drop in price a bit.
this mentality can cause you to never buy anything because you're waiting for the next big thing.
Zelda
Cheating :^)

dNextGen wrote:

what a sad times
The only solution is to not step up your game if you already have an i5.
A Medic

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

A Medic wrote:

dNextGen wrote:

what a sad times

this mentality can cause you to never buy anything because you're waiting for the next big thing.

Usually if whatever i'm waiting for ends up being shit I just go ahead and buy whatever I was planning on doing. This method of thinking also stop impulse buying because there are days you just want to go and buy shit.
Kappa FrankerZ
r9 390 master race wwww
A Medic

Kappa FrankerZ wrote:

r9 390 master race wwww

Solid Card, will drop in price fairly soon.
thelewa
graphic's cards
dNextGen

top kuck, guess they managed to find out that /g/ is filled with AMD shills
Vuelo Eluko
i dont think that's why, intel could care less about amd
A Medic
too many l33t hackers on 4chan, intel knows how dangerous it is (/s)

thelewa wrote:

graphic's cards

I just noticed that too lol...
The Gambler
In terms of data integrity over time, would an Intel 730 be worth a shot? I hear its performance is extremely consistent along with its reputable longevity, being essentially an overclocked S3500/S3700 SSD (FYI, they're Intel's server offerings, with Intel's in-house controllers and NAND).

Currently searching for a new SATA SSD.