forum

Graphic's card discussions (and other hardware)

posted
Total Posts
show more
dNextGen
what do you guys think about the i5 3570K and Z77 mobo, is it worth to get by today's standard ? someone was trying to sell me both items at $230

i think it's bretty gud since the cheapest i5 (haswell) alone would set me back around $220 here
Vuelo Eluko
it appears to be a nice deal, solid chip, good single core performance too

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core ... ating/1316
abraker
Intel HD does its job, but you only get the basics. I consider it the bare minimum needed to survive in the gaming world, but you would be starving for more.
ColdTooth
I have a 550Ti. I agree I need some upgrade, but it's fine for now
A Medic
I'm planning on doing a micro itx or micro atx build soon so I can bring something a bit more powerful/compact to the LAN's that my university hosts.
xXxSkippyxXx
Wish i could afford a powerful gaming rig. All i have is a laptop with Intel HD graphics lmao
dNextGen

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

it appears to be a nice deal, solid chip, good single core performance too

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core ... ating/1316
indeed, i got a feeling that i should take the offer and stay away from skylake for good

abraker wrote:

Intel HD does its job, but you only get the basics. I consider it the bare minimum needed to survive in the gaming world, but you would be starving for more.
its not even a bare minimum, i'd call it unuseable for shit when it comes to gaymen related
abraker

dNextGen wrote:

its not even a bare minimum, i'd call it unuseable for shit when it comes to gaymen related
Considering I was stuck on early 2000's hardware until 6 years ago, I consider it a blessing. Not having a graphics card sucks. What is this Voodoo3 gpu? Now that is utter shit. It was like using a twig to fight someone with a gun. Then I moved on to Intel GMA for some 4 years until I got the laptop I have right now with the Intel HD graphics.
Zelda
Depends on which generation, and which games you intend to play, really. HD3000 and above can all manage some lightweight games just fine, while anything below HD3000 is just barely enough to manage hardware acceleration in a desktop environment.

For instance, Killing Floor and such runs just fine on HD3000. It's not going to run anything more demanding than that, but older games and indie games are mostly a-ok. HD4000 is a good bit better than HD3000 too, so video games on an Intel chipset aren't necessarily completely hopeless.

But yeah, don't expect to play the latest AAA games on any Intel chipset, that would just be plain silly.
IppE

Zelda wrote:

Depends on which generation, and which games you intend to play, really. HD3000 and above can all manage some lightweight games just fine, while anything below HD3000 is just barely enough to manage hardware acceleration in a desktop environment.

For instance, Killing Floor and such runs just fine on HD3000. It's not going to run anything more demanding than that, but older games and indie games are mostly a-ok. HD4000 is a good bit better than HD3000 too, so video games on an Intel chipset aren't necessarily completely hopeless.

But yeah, don't expect to play the latest AAA games on any Intel chipset, that would just be plain silly.
Talking about chipsets is kind of redundant since the northbridge and the iGPU are both integrated on the CPU die.
Zelda
Kind of, chipset is probably the wrong word to use there. Oh well.
IppE
Well the chipset that is present there, the southbridge, does nothing graphics related other than PCI lane traffic handling in the worst case.
Zelda
Kinda hard to play AAA games on a southbridge, so there's that. But yes, GPU or iGPU would have been correct. cba to edit
dNextGen
yfw i got higher score than people using i7 / GTX 980

or perhaps i'm just seeing things

a1l2d3r4e5d6

dNextGen wrote:

yfw i got higher score than people using i7 / GTX 980

or perhaps i'm just seeing things

Seriously?

I never thought that I'd see an i3 doing that.
A Medic
A lot of games don't really advantage of multiple cores. That i3 has extremely good single core performance. Although you won't be able to do anything else while your playing that game.
Zelda
Holy crap that afterburner overlay is ugly
A Medic
Here's my next building, for LAN'ing, streaming, and mobile server.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($252.43 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card ($190.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $994.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-26 12:48 EDT-0400
dNextGen
i had 2 seagate external hard drives, both of them died in less than 1 year, never again

maybe cheap out on the case and go with 2nd 290 or 390 instead

Zelda wrote:

Holy crap that afterburner overlay is ugly
so what should i do regarding that matter then

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

Seriously?

yes, i think i won't be upgrading that for a long time (1-2 years)
a1l2d3r4e5d6

dNextGen wrote:

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

Seriously?

yes, i think i won't be upgrading that for a long time (1-2 years)
It's pretty impressive for something of that calibre. Although I don't think an i3 would benefit me as much, seeing as I run a lot of applications in one. It would, however, still be better than my laptop's AMD E2 apu.
Zelda

dNextGen wrote:

so what should i do regarding that matter then
Remove it, it's literally useless information unless you're troubleshooting something. And it gives your eyes cancer.
A Medic
I just bought my MSI R9 380 4G Card, it also went on sale today $179 (with MIR) it's a pretty good deal imo if you looking for a cheap upgrade.
A Medic
If you live in the USA Tiger direct is selling 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for only $36 max is 5 per person right now. Literally a steal.
Vuelo Eluko

A Medic wrote:

If you live in the USA Tiger direct is selling 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for only $36 max is 5 per person right now. Literally a steal.
what the fuck
dNextGen

A Medic wrote:

what the fuck
IppE
Meh, I already have a 850 PRO.
Vuelo Eluko
just because it's dorito scented doesnt make it a better value
dNextGen
daily reminder not to fall for the 3,5 meme

Vuelo Eluko
ah yes the don't fall for the 3.5 meme meme
Zelda
Yeah, the AMD meme is so much better
A Medic
Forgot to post this when I finished but I finished my build.

Imo it was pretty cheap.

( I'm in a dorm sorry :( )

Who needs next level cable management

dNextGen
i don't want to be an ass but man that case is ugly af

the rest is great though.
Vuelo Eluko

dNextGen wrote:

that case is ugly af
A Medic

dNextGen wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

dNextGen wrote:

that case is ugly af

It looked much nicer in videos. In person I would have to agree.

But it has a handle doh.
Endie-

dNextGen wrote:

I like the case :/
Flanster
Looks like a pigeon cage

Intel Xeon is cheap? I need to stop living in the 3rd world.
dNextGen
they are pretty affordable in my place tho, and i'm on 3rd world country myself

maybe it's because you are on eastern europe lel
Endie-
I'm thinking about purchasing a GTX970 this Friday (If it is affordable)
Any thoughts?
Vuelo Eluko
at this point, id wait for first generation 14nm pascal architecture cards which come out next year if you can wait. im not going to believe the hype that it's going to be '10x faster' than current cards but i definitely do believe it will be inherently compatible with dx12 by physical design whereas 28nm maxwell compatibility is only going to be simulated through drivers at a performance loss.

I swear, it was the biggest scandal for both amd and nvidia to claim dx12 compliance on this generation of gpu's. they should have put a * next to it on the boxes.

otherwise, go for it. 970 is the best card for the price right now. The generation coming to a close has led to a lot of shitty rebranding and marketing tricks so a lot of cards would be a mistake to buy at this point but the 970 is not one of them.

i recommend MSI for the best build quality and a card that will likely last a long time. My friend ran 2 660's in an SLI setup at a high stable clock and twice MSI and EVGA. the EVGA card had to be RMA'd twice over the years, once for a failed fan controller and once because it straight up died, but the MSI kept chugging along until he retired it for an upgrade quite recently. I've also had nothing but good experiences with MSI. The fact that their cards typically cost more than other manufacturers' versions is totally reflected in the quality they deliver.

Gigabyte is a close second in terms of build quality. I've used them almost all my life and they generally score very high reviews for a reason.

Asus is overrated IMO but they are factually good. If you're an Asus fan I guess you can't go wrong with them.. I personally don't have much to say about them one way or the other.

EVGA is hit or miss as hell they've produced some really quality cards but some serious failures too. Check the reviews to make sure it's not one of their dead fish lines before you buy it. Their RMA department is really good, for what that's worth. There's so many stories of people sending in their old cards years later and getting something newer and far better back, typically the card that directly succeeded the one they got sent, like a 770 for a 670 etc.

PNY is not an option unless you want it to be either DOA or fried in 6 months, those are the cards they send to best buy and shit.. Avoid it. Garbage. They are the cheapest for a reason.

if you get a box that has no manufacturer name on it that means it's directly from nvidia. prepare for disappointment because reference card build quality is basically meant for being benchmarked and boxed again. I thought they only sent these to review sites and youtubers but ive seen them in stores as well occasionally. You'd think they would be some sort of holy grail of quality until you remember that most of nvidia's capital is invested in R&D/marketing. Nvidia almost exclusively just produces the chip. The manufacturers above all get the same chip, yes, but everything else varies wildly between them and how they put it together/what materials go into the rest of the build.
Endie-

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

at this point, id wait for first generation 14nm pascal architecture cards which come out next year if you can wait. im not going to believe the hype that it's going to be '10x faster' than current cards but i definitely do believe it will be inherently compatible with dx12 by physical design whereas 28nm maxwell compatibility is only going to be simulated through drivers at a performance loss.

I swear, it was the biggest scandal for both amd and nvidia to claim dx12 compliance on this generation of gpu's. they should have put a * next to it on the boxes.

otherwise, go for it. 970 is the best card for the price right now. The generation coming to a close has led to a lot of shitty rebranding and marketing tricks so a lot of cards would be a mistake to buy at this point but the 970 is not one of them.

i recommend MSI for the best build quality and a card that will likely last a long time. My friend ran 2 660's in an SLI setup at a high stable clock and twice MSI and EVGA. the EVGA card had to be RMA'd twice over the years, once for a failed fan controller and once because it straight up died, but the MSI kept chugging along until he retired it for an upgrade quite recently. I've also had nothing but good experiences with MSI. The fact that their cards typically cost more than other manufacturers' versions is totally reflected in the quality they deliver.

Gigabyte is a close second in terms of build quality. I've used them almost all my life and they generally score very high reviews for a reason.

Asus is overrated IMO but they are factually good. If you're an Asus fan I guess you can't go wrong with them.. I personally don't have much to say about them one way or the other.

EVGA is hit or miss as hell they've produced some really quality cards but some serious failures too. Check the reviews to make sure it's not one of their dead fish lines before you buy it. Their RMA department is really good, for what that's worth. There's so many stories of people sending in their old cards years later and getting something newer and far better back, typically the card that directly succeeded the one they got sent, like a 770 for a 670 etc.

PNY is not an option unless you want it to be either DOA or fried in 6 months, those are the cards they send to best buy and shit.. Avoid it. Garbage. They are the cheapest for a reason.

if you get a box that has no manufacturer name on it that means it's directly from nvidia. prepare for disappointment because reference card build quality is basically meant for being benchmarked and boxed again. I thought they only sent these to review sites and youtubers but ive seen them in stores as well occasionally. You'd think they would be some sort of holy grail of quality until you remember that most of nvidia's capital is invested in R&D/marketing. Nvidia almost exclusively just produces the chip. The manufacturers above all get the same chip, yes, but everything else varies wildly between them and how they put it together/what materials go into the rest of the build.
Thanks for such a great reply.
I'm probably going for MSI's "tiger OC" as it fits my build.
As you mentioned, I should probably wait for the next generation. But I don't think I will be needing anything better than a 970 for the next 3-4 years. IF it goes up on sale this friday, I'll go for it
show more