forum

[Archived] Choppy lag?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ylvy
(Sorry if I've done anything wrong here, still new to the forums)
I've been experiencing very choppy lag when playing osu!. The framerate drops down to ~40fps while loading the beatmap and comes back up to ~80-120 when the beatmap starts, but it's nearly completely unplayable due to the game continuing even though you can't see what's going on.
I have tried changing the frame limiter to VSync, but there is no difference. Removing any added visuals doesn't seem to do anything, and even with no background apps running it lags.

After restarting osu!, it works fine for 1 play, then starts lagging on the second. Could it be related to the stuff about the lag starting at a certain timing on this?: t/42149/start=15

The lag also occurs on unranked maps, so I think it's not internet problems.

Restarting my actual laptop doesn't help as well. My laptop isn't very good though, with the average fps out of gameplay being ~100-150. Is my CPU just unable to handle osu!? Osu! used to work just fine for me, but these lag problems have stopped me from playing for several months.

According to Activity Monitor: CPU usage is ~28%

Version: b20151016.8 (latest)

Laptop:
MacBook Air
OSX 10.9.5
Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

EDIT: Hmm. Seems to do that only for a few days once in a while. Osu!'s working fine now. However, that isn't the first time it's happened.
EDIT 2: It's back... :(
TheVileOne
You should be experiencing an improvement on stable latest versus stable fallback. Has it happened since you updated to latest stable?
BillyBaka
i have pretty much same issues ..

i have those issues for maybe a year. depends .. some builds were better then others i feel
but i recently play on cutting edge which was awsome at begining but feels broken since 2-3 weeks

i feels like desync all the times .. mostly in middle of songs ..

its choppy sometimes randomly and i feel sync is affected

what i noticed is cursor ripples off felt really good when i turn it off
but idk went to shit again ..

i would like to know what is the map timing mechanics ?
or the multiplayer delay thing that there was for awhile how it works?
is this a thing that they play with in builds ?

cause it feels incredibly random and even changing in middle of maps.
i almost always play multi. not talking solo play here ,
even if solo is pretty much the same exept it feels less delay / lag most of the times. not always

ill just post my specs if we need some logs pls tell me ill post them

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150928-1507)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/19/11 15:16:49 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 18432MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 18424MB RAM
Page File: 4582MB used, 32261MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Display Memory: 4018 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1970 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Display Memory: 4049 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes

Description: SPDIF Interface (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No

Description: Digital Output (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Microphone (HD Pro Webcam C910)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes

Description: Microphone (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No

Description: Analog Audio In (AVerMedia C039 USB Capture Card)

Description: Line In (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)

i know in changelog recently that was talking about frames skip
TheVileOne
There is not much difference between multiplayer and single player, except that in multiplayer you have to maintain an active scoreboard.

It would be helpful to have a screenshot of your frame graph (ctrl + f11) in cutting edge and a copy of your performance.log after spikes have occurred.
BillyBaka
ok i took 3 SS from a replay cause i cant really take a screen shot while playing ...

i tried to record live play but it affect too much frame rate to be reliable.

i usualy play at frame limit 240 .. mostly for streaming reason else when streaming its not fluid
but i tried unlimited (which i was playing before) it helped but it dosent remove all choppiness

so heres the 3 SS and preformance file. btw i create a new perfomance file for this test which is about 20 plays maybe little less sometimes 240 fps limited sometimes unlimited.

http://i.imgur.com/DoNvN0W.png?1

http://imgur.com/3H7SgzC

http://i.imgur.com/nOIl3x6.png?1

performance file : http://pastebin.com/imidjpM6

i also had this when testing .. i press f7 to swith to 240 or unlimited while the song loads or in the beginning..

fps were like 4-7 fps

http://i.imgur.com/lLILCSy.png?1

could it be overclocked pc ?

thanks
BillyBaka
i tweak out my obs setting and record a video with the frame graph. which i was comfortable playing and consistent frame rate ..

and i have to admit that it was going pretty well frame by frame review for some part so far i have found 1 place that a hit was random miss ..

but in general it was a good session .. it always depends thats why i was talking about randomness sometimes its fine sometimes its not ..

is server load can be in play ?

i was playing cutting edge , unlimited frame rate , no compatibily mode , no reduce dropped frames , no perf. detect , in borderless ( i always do for capture) i tried full screen but its not my issue i think...

detail Settings ..
only video and storyboard on
cursor ripples off

i will maybe post some frames picture later ..

like i said .. not much to complain on that one .. ill have to check out when its getting worst

video http://www.hitbox.tv/video/778953
Topic Starter
ylvy
The problem is back... vid.ly/3k3j2c (please excuse my horrible skill)
I am on Stable-Fallback, and trying to change to Stable-Latest does nothing but tell me "Your osu! is up-to-date!".
-VSync (60fps, shows a lot about MacBooks)
-DirectX (OpenGL is greyed out)
-1440x900 (borderless)
-Background video is on (lags still occurs on non-video maps)
-Storyboards
-Hit lighting
-Default universal offset (0ms)

OFF:
-Snaking sliders
-Combo bursts
-Shaders
-Softening filter
-Hit animations

(Sorry for lack of sound in the video, ScreenFlow was not letting me record, so I had to use QuickTime- no option for sound AND screen capture...)
Version: b20151128.2
The lag makes osu! unplayable... :(
Topic Starter
ylvy
I've reinstalled osu!, but problems have persisted...
The problem happens after around two plays, so I have to restart osu! every two or so plays because the lag starts kicking in...
Perhaps this is just the MacBook being unable to handle osu! well...
Even before the lag starts, I get a framerate of ~50-70...
TheVileOne
Why are you using Vsync? This is most likely the thing causing your choppiness.
Topic Starter
ylvy
I was originally using 120 capped, so I tried to see for a whil if VSync would help, but then I realized it didn't so I changed back to 120.
It seems like the lag only occurs/is stronger on sliders.
TheVileOne
It seems to me that your computer is struggling to run the game. The current version is forced to use the fallback version to keep support with El capitan Mac build, which is unfortunate as it prevents access to any of the new debug features. You should check that your MacBook isn't doing some form of performance management.

Hopefully you have checked that you are on the latest drivers, and have allowed the system to favour performance over graphical quality if your gpu allows this.

Also you told us what cpu you used, but not what gpu you are using. If it's one of those compact ones, then it may be underpowered. You may not be playing with proper ventilation, and the OS is throttling to compensate (although I don't think the fps would be that unstable if it was being throttled). It could be many things.

Can you play other games without problems?
Topic Starter
ylvy
Actually, I am not running El Capitan due to some incompatibility issues with printer drivers at school (hopefully I may get to update soon). I am running Mavericks- 10.9.5.
Heavier games tend to be playable but not very pleasant, with around 10-20fps (using ~170% CPU according to Activity Monitor). My graphical settings in the games (not osu!) are set for performance over quality.
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB :\
I believe that the ventilation is adequate, seeing as I keep the laptop on a hard, flat surface whenever I use it.
I don't know how to check if my MacBook is doing some kind of performance management. (I tried googling?)
Topic Starter
ylvy
It seems its not that the sliders cause the lag- holding down any buttons causes the lag.
When I use Relax, the game runs smoothly, but if I use Autopilot the lag is noticeable. Even when on auto, it runs well but if I press any keys it lags.
I guess this is probably the laptop being unable to run osu! well, seeing as the graphics card has some extremely bad reviews online.

EDIT: I've finally been able to update to El Capitan. I've also installed the latest El Capitan build but the problems have persisted.
Topic Starter
ylvy
So, I left osu! for a few days, and the lag problems disappeared- I could play normally, without having to restart osu!. But today, the problems have reccured. It seems to me that playing osu! more often causes more lag, as I have experienced this kind of behaviour from osu! in the past.
I'm quite confused as to why this is happening...