forum

What is your opinion on the new forum design?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jieshengwoo
imo the design is beautiful but just need needs more work on the feature
anyway is the forum will be called jizz forever?
JMC

Jieshengwoo wrote:

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

peppy wrote:

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).
read previous post
Care
I like this, the old design is confusing for new peoples.
Jieshengwoo

JMC wrote:

Jieshengwoo wrote:

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

peppy wrote:

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).

read previous post

oops sorry!! my wrong, really sorry o(╥﹏╥)o
Twilight Randomizer
It looks pretty nice. I can't exactly put it up for comparison right now (502 MB RAM on a school PC, wha), but whoever did the design has done a great job.
peppy
Just as an update, we are now loading image dimensions before images are displayed. This means that scrolling upwards in a thread should feel much more natural, and overall performance should also have improved.

You'll also notice that this means we could remove the "expanding post" logic, improving the experience further.
Nakano Itsuki
Mentioning something I posted in the wrong forum a day ago...

The design is great, plus I love the color scheme of it. (And it being bigger to view ofc, especially on phones)

Only two things I don't really like is the pagination removed and the wasted space, as mentioned by other people.
For beatmappers in particular, clicking to a particular page helps to see mod posts more conveniently imo (also I doubt people can really remember that much post numbers lol... Especially for those who frequent the forum such as the requests section)

Others are really good imo. Dunno if it is feasible, maybe an option could be included in user settings to allow switching between infinite scrolling and pagination.

Just my 2 cents after being a lurker of other forum software, as 90% tend to use pagination anyway
Thievley
It's way different. In a good way though. I love the design.
It will take some getting used to of course, being so different and all, but other than that I think it's great!
Entis_old_1
There is a chance that final version can be good, but now I'm really sad.

Only thing I really want is an option to choose between new/old forum style, since I'm satisfied with old one most of all. This new one is too... modern for me personally. I like old paging and old spoilerboxes way more, because it was easier to press them as a pagewide link/hovering, not like it is now.

Hope for keeping both styles to make everyone happy.
Top Bunk

Ruineko wrote:

There is a chance that final version can be good, but now I'm really sad.

Only thing I really want is an option to choose between new/old forum style, since I'm satisfied with old one most of all. This new one is too... modern for me personally. I like old paging and old spoilerboxes way more, because it was easier to press them as a pagewide link/hovering, not like it is now.

Hope for keeping both styles to make everyone happy.
Given how this current design and the new design are using different software (iirc), I highly doubt there will be an option to choose one or the other.

Change is often a necessity, so for those that can't adjust to it, then oh well. Deal with it.
Topic Starter
efdu_DELETED

CXu wrote:

Since there's a thread. One thing that's been kinda bothering me both on the old forums and the new ones, is that you don't really scale it with the browser window:

Is there any particular reason you don't prefer more automatic scaling? It looks kinda silly to me with that long pink bar at the top, but then only half the space is actually being used.

Also, I'm also one of those people that prefer to have pagination. Having autoscrolling is fine, but I'd like there to be both tbh, since there are cases where one or the other is more intuitive or preferable.

I thought the circle/wheel was something you could click on to scroll through posts quickly, but instead clicking on the upper or lower half of it (probably the arrows) just takes me to the top or bottom, which I didn't find that intuitive. And what's the purpose of clicking on the page number? For now it seems like it just goes down a few posts or something, but I think clicking into a textfield where you can put in a page number would be more intuitive than having the page jump thing inside the search button.

And the quote thing is nice, but I think you need a dismiss/discard button, and make it a bit clearer that the button is for quoting.

Well, you're probably aware of some of this already, so eh.
En nordmann :D
digitaku
Well, I'm quite satisfied with the design (I usually make simple typography design for my desktop wallpaper)
oh, and I really like the triangle(s) btw, it give me an energetic feeling
just one flaw, it has so many empty space in here, ex: like the header design at forum front page
suggestion:
maybe you can add another menubar on both sides of the empty space ;)

but overall is good :D
Pittigbaasje
I really like the design but 2 things which dissappoint me:

1) You need to scroll down to the very bottom to reply to a post? Makes it kinda weird when a post has 100 replies like this one.

2) You can't click on the timestamps when you get a mod (I hope this isn't intentional)
A Medic
There is a button that allows you to scroll to the bottom of the page instantly.
Trost
The Lord has spoken
Ikarugamesh
I have tried the new forum on my Android tablet. It works well on the default, stock browser, simply dubbed "Browser". However, I also have tried it in Chrome (on my Android tablet, too) and the reply box doesn't appear, only a button which says "Load more". Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me?
peppy

Ikarugamesh wrote:

I have tried the new forum on my Android tablet. It works well on the default, stock browser, simply dubbed "Browser". However, I also have tried it in Chrome (on my Android tablet, too) and the reply box doesn't appear, only a button which says "Load more". Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me?

Do you happen to have javascript disabled?
peppy

Pittigbaasje wrote:

I really like the design but 2 things which dissappoint me:
1) You need to scroll down to the very bottom to reply to a post? Makes it kinda weird when a post has 100 replies like this one.

You could also click the reply button on the post you are currently reading (to the right) and then delete the quoted post content if you don't need it.

Pittigbaasje wrote:

2) You can't click on the timestamps when you get a mod (I hope this isn't intentional)

This will be implemented at a later point.
Maxela
In my opinion the design is better but funtions are less.
Yuudachi-kun
Something about user-friendliness.
Nadfee
It gives me a more of a chilly feeling with the bright colors on the top of the page but the sides are white (gray) and is disturbing when you read forum posts (as the topic post color is also white). I like the new layout but this is the only thing I've found annoying. It'd be nice if you could change the color of the side of the page from white (gray) to something slightly darker so the eyes can concentrate on the topic board instead.
rabu retaa
i couldn't see the other achievement that i already did

flash
why are we neglecting the reason books were invented
Ikarugamesh

peppy wrote:

Ikarugamesh wrote:

Do you happen to have javascript disabled?

It was enabled all this time. Nevermind, it seems that problem is fixed now. Thanks.
peppy
We made some changes to page navigation!
Zuikaku
I think I've forgotten or is it not available to change backgrounds on the new forum yet?
CXu
I like it. It looks pretty nice, and I think it feels close enough to pagination that I most likely won't be bothered by the lack of them (since I can fairly quickly figure out where a certain post is in a long thread by dividing it up in chunks in my head, probably).

The whole bottom bar is a bit big, especially when you're not using it and just reading a thread. Maybe make it smaller, and show the whole thing by moving the mouse downward?

And I still think

is the part where you should type to jump to a specific post, and use the magnifying glass for actually searching for words within the thread, since a magnifying glass almost always means searching.

Maybe you can add a reply button onto the navigation bar as well, since you can't post in a thread without either going to the bottom or quoting someone.
peppy

CXu wrote:

is the part where you should type to jump to a specific post, and use the magnifying glass for actually searching for words within the thread, since a magnifying glass almost always means searching.
Maybe you can add a reply button onto the navigation bar as well, since you can't post in a thread without either going to the bottom or quoting someone.

Both of these features are already in the final design, and should go live this week.
FakeShield21-
Well, for me this is a little confusing xD I feel the old one is more simple...
And why new.ppy.sh not osu.ppy.sh :/ ? Like the topic starter said that jizz is the slang for sperm... I think it's not safe for underage children :3 and I feel a bit disgusted reading osu! website's address has "jizz" :'v

Edit: ouch it seems like someone has asked it already xD
Luvdic

peppy wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

It still doesn´t have the option to go directly to last read post

Yes it does? Clicking a thread will take you to the last read.

So according to peppy, the option to go to last read post is already available, but I don´t seem to be able to find it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I did what peppy said on his post, but it takes me directly to the first post, so what am I doing wrong here?
AGRX
ONE THING: wish that forums were more condensed view, for more clarity. Especially for mobile devices.
Smilyt1

deadbeat wrote:

i've been here for 6 years. i welcome any change :D
also enjoy https://youtu.be/tICLLkOlpno?t=10m32s

agreed.
I've been here for almost 6 years and I welcome any change.
And I just
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY
peppy
Due to people being too immature to handle the jizz, I'm renaming the new design to https://new.ppy.sh. Please update your links, or continue to use jizz.
Halogen-
ey, while you're here: your current concept of page navigation is perfect; had I known this would have been the end result, I'd never have made any posts involving forum pagination because yeah, what you have here is great. Once the ability to type in a specific post number is added, I mean... it doesn't really get much better than that, haha.
Garven
I like the change to the pagination, but it was a little weird scrolling to the bottom with the ticker register the post number at the top of the page instead of saying I was at the end (like right now while typing the post, it says I'm at 121/122). Just a minor thing though.
Kurokami
Its seems to be better day by day. Actually I already liked it when it was firstly available. The font is kinda hard to read at first but can get used to it. You did a great job.
Yuii-
It's being improved a lot, even if I don't use it that much, I have seen a lot of improvements later on which are appreciated.

One more thing I wanna add is the fact that some flags are barely comparable, in a sense that they look too similar to each other, when it should not be like that. USA flag is similar to Malaysia's, and the same goes to some others. Also coloration could be better done, as some countries have literally THE SAME flag as other one, but with darker/brighter colors.

Also, this version looks a lot better on the cellphone, so that's something really really good, but it consumes a lot more of RAM for some reason. Maybe you can work on that, as well, I am having some freezes sometimes.

Good job overall!
Upskirt
Instead of ease in drop shadow for hover why don't you make it the animated triangles at the top of the page?
Pituophis
Are stars and kudosu going to be implemented?
Upskirt

Pituophis wrote:

Are stars and kudosu going to be implemented?
Probs.
show more