forum

What is your opinion on the new forum design?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
efdu_DELETED
http://new.ppy.sh

Personally I dislike it a lot.
1) Because I like the current one.
2) Jizz is slang for semen.
deadbeat
i've been here for 6 years. i welcome any change :D
also enjoy https://youtu.be/tICLLkOlpno?t=10m32s
B1rd
I don't like it.

It is way less functional and looks a lot worse.
Sieg

efdu wrote:

http://new.ppy.sh

Personally I dislike it a lot.
1) Because I like the current one.
2) Jizz is slang for semen.
You can use http://store.ppy.sh/forum :3

I don't like it too, designed for 800x600 4:3 monitor
Trosk-

B1rd wrote:

I don't like it.

It is way less functional and looks a lot worse.
Well, you know it's still WIP... Right?

And from my side, I really like it. I love the new profile page dessign, also the forums are really nice.
Luvdic
It still doesn´t have the option to go directly to last read post

It makes me sad, and with new forum layout more confused, since it only has the option to go to last post (not even last page where it could make it easier to find last read post)

Anyways, if there is that option currently or in new forums, please someone enlighten me and ignore my post
Tampons
I think it looks nice, but I want more things to be done for the user page. Other than that, I think it will turn out good.

Though, I prefer this layout.
sLaiNi
I really like the design and the animations and I love loading new posts on mobile devices, instead of loading a whole new page.
Jason X
Things that i Don't Like

1. The Main page is confused, i mean, i need really 5min to find the Beatmap listening,
and a newbie... impossible

2. the userpage look like... it's to heavy to find something
and the Userpage text (supporter only) is under the Main part

3. Where can i find my own maps without using Beatmap listening?
The own maps was Missing in the userpage!!

Thing that i Like
Profile Cover, it's looks nice

Really, i hope this is Only a Joke like the 1.April last year
deadbeat
i think you're all forgetting that it's still work in progress. of course it's not going to be as refined as the current site we have :/
Halogen-
They're not done yet; yes, you can't find certain things because not all elements are linked from the forum to the main platform. That linking is presumably still being worked on.

Visually, the forms look awesome. They pop out, and the hovering over elements in the forum index/categories causing some highlighting on the given section/thread is a nice little touch.

Functionally, the forums could use some work. The biggest thing that needs to happen in my honest opinion, is forum pagination. It is really difficult to go through large threads and read back from a few pages because you have to auto-load everything, and it causes a reasonable slowdown after not too much time. Auto-loading is cool, but you need to give it more control. My suggestion is to set a maximum amount of posts to display and hide posts out of those ranges when a section is auto-loaded; for example, if you have 20 posts per page and you have an 80 post thread, when you scroll up past post 61, then only display 41-60, etc. If a person is scrolling past certain posts, it can be assumed that if they weren't in this current design, they'd be track back a few pages anyway.

Accessibility wise, things are really easy to read, and the colors contrast nicely against one another, making it great for those who might have color deficiencies.
Stefan
I think opening a thread to this question is way too early. Of course it's nowhere functional compared to the current so I would rather keep the opinion till it's fully released.
B1rd

Stefan wrote:

I think opening a thread to this question is way too early. Of course it's nowhere functional compared to the current so I would rather keep the opinion till it's fully released.
Is that when it's replaced this one? "You can't form an opinion about something till it's 100% done!" lol. Well WHAT IS THE POINT IN RELEASING AN EARLY VERSION IF IT'S NOT TO BE TESTED? Isn't that the point of a beta, getting feedback to help the development?

And yes I'm gonna have an opinion, there is not a single thing I like about the new forum over the old one. The aesthetics are ugly, dumbed down and oversimplified. The infinite scroll feature is annoying and makes it harder to use.
Endaris
In terms of design and optical pleasure I think the new design is fairly good.
Stuff I have to critize:

The contrast between the background(triangles, dark grey) and actually used space(threadlistings, white/pink) is uncomfortable to look at. Personally I'd like some color not as bright as white more. But you might also lighten the background a bit to make the contrast not as sharp.

In terms of usability I think that the overlay that comes up when you scroll down in a thread is very small and especially the forumpaths. It took me a good while to notice that I actually could navigate back using this just because it was so small and I didnt know this concept from other forums. And even now I think that it is relatively hard to aim. Like CS6-Level which is already nontrivial.
Plus I like pages. Especially when taking long threads pages are so good.

That being said, despite being very oldfashioned, the current design is pretty good in terms of colours therefore it doesn't surprise me that people like it more than the new one in its current state when calculating in the "old is gold"-psychology.
I'll keep using the old one for now but throw a glance into the new one frequently :D
Yauxo
I really like the general graphic design ideas, but then I also dislike that everything has to be so (smart)phone-y. There are no pages, the posts looks somewhat smushed together and the endless scrolling is kinda annoying. Not much else to say though.

Kinda holding back my opinion until it's in some sort of "almost live but still beta give input plz" state.
peppy

Xanandra wrote:

Yes it does? Clicking a thread will take you to the last read.
peppy

Halogen- wrote:

Functionally, the forums could use some work. The biggest thing that needs to happen in my honest opinion, is forum pagination. It is really difficult to go through large threads and read back from a few pages because you have to auto-load everything, and it causes a reasonable slowdown after not too much time. Auto-loading is cool, but you need to give it more control. My suggestion is to set a maximum amount of posts to display and hide posts out of those ranges when a section is auto-loaded; for example, if you have 20 posts per page and you have an 80 post thread, when you scroll up past post 61, then only display 41-60, etc. If a person is scrolling past certain posts, it can be assumed that if they weren't in this current design, they'd be track back a few pages anyway.
That's how it works. It only loads back 10 posts.

Pagination as you know it is gone forever. It makes no sense.
XinCrin
I'm open for changes as everything in the life. The design is awesome imo and It is still not finished
Sonnyc

Yauxo wrote:

I really like the general graphic design ideas, but then I also dislike that everything has to be so (smart)phone-y. There are no pages, the posts looks somewhat smushed together and the endless scrolling is kinda annoying. Not much else to say though.

Kinda holding back my opinion until it's in some sort of "almost live but still beta give input plz" state.
JMC
the new function for page navigation is looks modern/cool/amazing but in my opinion people not/not yet familiar with it, I had a lot of open forum online and I saw a new page navigation in the new osu forum design is a bit "radical" and this is slightly against users experience
---
the overall design between new forum looks a bit different than other (example https://new.ppy.sh/store/listing), and personally I don't like black/dark color in the background too contrast and make my eyes tired quickly
---
too many empty space when opened in the wide screen monitor
---
that's my opinion ^^, I know new forum design still improving and I know developers are already working hard and give the best to the community, I appreciate it :D
Luvdic

peppy wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

Well, just now I have tried with different browsers with several threads, and all the outcome was the same, it sent me directly to the first post. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong here :(
Luvdic

peppy wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

Well, just now I have tried with different browsers with several threads, and all the outcome was the same, it sent me directly to the first post. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong here :(
PatZar
well i dont like it too, the forum is a bit mess, and the page too are not paged like we are using right now
lolcubes
What I really like about current one is a friendly contrast. The new forums have too much contrast for my taste, it's much heavier for my eyes.
peppy
Have you checked today? There have been some changes to contrast levels.
lolcubes
Actually, I did not. I just checked it, nice. :)

BTW, will there be mobile support for it?
Trosk-

lolcubes wrote:

Actually, I did not. I just checked it, nice. :)
BTW, will there be mobile support for it?

There is already support for it :P

Otrebor
i like it
CXu
Since there's a thread. One thing that's been kinda bothering me both on the old forums and the new ones, is that you don't really scale it with the browser window:

Is there any particular reason you don't prefer more automatic scaling? It looks kinda silly to me with that long pink bar at the top, but then only half the space is actually being used.

Also, I'm also one of those people that prefer to have pagination. Having autoscrolling is fine, but I'd like there to be both tbh, since there are cases where one or the other is more intuitive or preferable.

I thought the circle/wheel was something you could click on to scroll through posts quickly, but instead clicking on the upper or lower half of it (probably the arrows) just takes me to the top or bottom, which I didn't find that intuitive. And what's the purpose of clicking on the page number? For now it seems like it just goes down a few posts or something, but I think clicking into a textfield where you can put in a page number would be more intuitive than having the page jump thing inside the search button.

And the quote thing is nice, but I think you need a dismiss/discard button, and make it a bit clearer that the button is for quoting.

Well, you're probably aware of some of this already, so eh.
Kyozoru
Please change the jizz thing xD
Cyclohexane
I'm mostly fine with it. I tend to like dim websites so I'm too big a fan of the super flashy white theme overall, several websites have an alternative design with dimmer colors (Tomorrow on that one imageboard for instance) would be neat to have something akin to that.

I'm one of the few people I've seen who appreciates the infinite scrolling, as well as the absence of pages.

What I don't like as much is I feel that the old designed was very compact yet clean; I work on small monitors and that's great for that, since I don't need to scroll everywhere since everything is utilizing minimal space. Here I feel like there's huge gaps that could be filled, for instance the horizontal width of threads (which I noticed has been increased but the font size as well as larger margins give the opposite impression), as well as the overall font size. I also feel like the top bar that shows when you scroll down a thread takes up too much room. I get the overall feeling that new design has trouble making good use of space and it ends up being a bit of a pain to navigate through compared to the old one.

Now, in terms of aesthetics themselves -- this is fucking pretty. Lots of details, nice color schemes, I particularly love the loading animation on clicks, the font choice, and the overall theme. It's all very, very neat and pretty to look at, and I have to commend the work that's been done here.

And that's basically it. Margins and paddings take too much space for my taste and navigating everything is a bit more annoying than with the old design, but it is much more appealing to the eye.
Kert
It looks awesome, that's for sure. Animations and everything
There are atleast 2 things bothering me though:
1. The operational zone is way too narrow. Maybe it's because the font is bigger? Maybe make post width wider instead (not smaller like now)?
2. The image on the top takes 1/3 of the screen --- I'd prefer to see more actual forum stuff, instead of an image (even a cute one)
lolcubes

Kert wrote:

2. The image on the top takes 1/3 of the screen --- I'd prefer to see more actual forum stuff, instead of an image (even a cute one)
I actually agree with this too. Sadly, lately the only place I can actually browse the forums is from my workplace, and I am doing it on a small resolution on a 19" screen, and that thing takes way too much space and is not really neutral enough for that particular environment.
I personally don't really care about what kind of an image it is, but someone else might. (at least it's easy to just scroll down, but still)

P.S.
I would like to see more colors for the thread icons. While the icons are different, the background color of the circle isn't, and when you aren't focusing on it, it's difficult to differentiate them.
AncuL
feels weird, doesnt feel like that everything in the old forum is visible in the new one

but idk, time will tell
Jinxy
Clicking a thread from the main forum page goes to unread, but in a subforum, clicking either the speech bubble icon or the thread name seems to bring to the first post? As far as I can see, the only button to get to last unread is the small arrow on the right. The rest of the entire bar, including clicking on "latest reply", brings you to first post on Chrome.

Contrast with the current setup where the thread icon brought you to last unread. Admittedly this is a "used-to-it" thing but it's a lot more intuitive since the different buttons are in close proximity to each other.

The circular post counter on the bottom right of a thread... Well, personally I think the jump to first and jump to last are great but could be larger and more obvious.

However, clicking on the post number to load (keyword being load, the entire page shows the loading animation instead of just shifting the page down) the next post is pointless as fuck considering I can see the next post 90% of the time unless it's a wall of text. (e.g. counter says post 4, but I can see post 5 and half of post 6 already).

Why not give a button to jump up/down by 20 posts instead? Yes, it's semi-pagination but helpful when you want to go to a certain post but you don't remember its post number and only remember what the content of the surrounding posts were. <- might also be why some people prefer to have pagination. I don't really know how to explain it, but instead of thinking to the scale of 150 (posts), I only have to think of 10 (pages) which would allow me to pinpoint where a post was more easily imo.

EDIT: Changed 10 posts to 20 posts, which is the same as how many posts are loaded in when you scroll and hit the top or bottom. Basically, a way to skip scrolling though to get to posts above or below. Easier than typing (current post no. +/- 20) into the search imo
Yauxo
I also thought that the wheel thing was so that you could quickly scroll through the thread. Hell, maybe even enter the post number as a jump-to type of function. Having to scroll through large threads is really time consuming, especially if you know that post x is on page 133 at the very top, while youre being thrown onto post y at page 245.

I'd really just like to see some sort of paging or easier in-thread control/movement.
Jinxy

Yauxo wrote:

Hell, maybe even enter the post number as a jump-to type of function
this one exists, it's the big magnifying glass button above the wheel
Yauxo
waitwaitwait

since when has that been there
ElliottB1
It bugs out when trying to post to the Video Games forum.
VanillaVilla
I do prefer the current forum over this new design, HOWEVER, I must say that the new userpages look really really nice. Really liking the userpage design over there :)
show more