forum

Question about difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Onyx Prism
I can easily get a S on most normal maps on my first few tries with HR on, but when I try to do a hard with no mods i fail immediately? It seems like there is a bigger gap between normal and hard than easy and normal. Any tips or anything for overcoming this gap?
Railey2
The gap is indeed bigger, and there are even bigger gaps to come after that one. Be prepared.

1. play maps that are above your skill-level. Don't play stuff that you can get S-ranks on easily. Playing for A or B ranks is the way to go.
2. If you don't play with keyboard already, switch to keyboard + mouse, or keyboard + tablet. That way, you can click a lot more coordinated (with your keyboard).
3. You might have noticed weird circle patterns, where there are lots of circles either stacked on each other, or directly next to each other. (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y ). you need to play the stacked patterns with both fingers, because one wont be fast enough. Definitely get used to that.
4. Practice, practice, practice
5. unrelated: This thread belongs in 13 (Gameplay and Rankings), not in General Discussion.
Aurani
Funnily enough, Going from Normal to Hard was harder for me than going from Normal to Insane. I don't know, it was technically as hard as Insane, but too slow for my taste, so I kept failing on it.
Okoratu
wow one of the few times i see someone actually needing an advanced or intermediate or whatever diff

I thought i'm making these for 98% full mod players
Trosk-
Moved to G&R.
Endaris
You should rather consider the star rating for a map's difficulty over the misty word "hard". Hard spans over a whole 1.5* difficulty(from 2.25 to 3.75) and it is natural that everything above 3* kills you if you're coming from Normals(=1.75-2.25*) right now.
Look out for some 2.5* for now ;)
You can cap the beatmaps shown in your menu by typing star<2.5 (or any other number)
Rilene
You might wanna try DT on normal maps.
Mahogany
I disagree with trying DT on normal maps. It's not the same as playing harder maps.
Rilene
At least it provides more movement and speed instead of more 1/2 notes.
It is different though from playing "Hard" no mod.
Roxy Lalonde

Mahogany wrote:

I disagree with trying DT on normal maps. It's not the same as playing harder maps.
lets create a legacy of dt players from the very roots
Yuudachi-kun

Mahogany wrote:

I disagree with DT on anything below around 4.00*
Rilene

Khelly wrote:

4* before or after using DT?
otoed1
Don't focus on the "Normal" or "Hard" Difficulty rating. Look at the star rating. Find the maps you do well on and add about half a star or so to the difficulty and play those.
meteor22
star ranking scale in non linear
Infevo

Rilene wrote:

Khelly wrote:

4* before or after using DT?

pretty sure he means "after". and i agree to an extent. up to the point dt really becomes sort of relevant to improving nomods are challenging enough in terms of speed.

i don't see though why anyone should restrain oneself to nomod though. even beginners. if you have fun playing with mods JUST DO IT!
Endaris
Knowing Khelly I'm pretty sure he's talking about 4* before DT :P