[Archived] Some frame lag/delay

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Daniel
Problem Details:
On a new laptop:
i7 4720HQ - 4x @2.6ghz
GTX 960m (although the lag is 10x worse with this enabled so I'm using integrated graphics - HD 4600)
Win 10
Tablet: CTL-470

The notes feel like they are coming too late and cause me to hit them late.
The ms in the bottom right says ~10ms in song select and 2.5-4.5ms while playing which is higher than most people and I think this shows the lag?
Currently 1920x1080 fullscreen, fps is unlimited and stays at 60/60, if I limit it to 240 it stays at 240/240
Stable/beta doesn't help
Have all effects diabled

osu! version: 20151013.2cuttingedge
Trosk-

Daniel wrote:

Currently 1920x1080 fullscreen, fps is unlimited and stays at 60/60, if I limit it to 240 it stays at 240/240
When you use unlimited framerate limiter, it doesn't show fps, it shows Hz. In your case, 60 Hz.

Daniel wrote:

GTX 960m (although the lag is 10x worse with this enabled so I'm using integrated graphics - HD 4600)
If you are saying that your performance is worse using a GTX 960 than using the integrated GPU, then something is really screwed on your PC. Make sure that you have your drivers up to date, and if you do, maybe could be worth to roll back to an older version, just in case (though I don't think this will work). If you updated from Windows 7/8.1 to 10 and you didn't uninstall and install again your GPU drivers, please, do it. I needed to do do it when I upgraded to Windows 10.

By the way, probably this lag/delay you are meaning is caused because you are playing in Windowed/Broderless and not in fullscreen. Considering that you are using Windows 10, you will have input lag if you don't play in fullscreen. But I really recommend you to do what I said above, because that GPU behaviour is not normal.
Topic Starter
Daniel

Trosk- wrote:

Daniel wrote:

When you use unlimited framerate limiter, it doesn't show fps, it shows Hz. In your case, 60 Hz.

Daniel wrote:

If you are saying that your performance is worse using a GTX 960 than using the integrated GPU, then something is really screwed on your PC. Make sure that you have your drivers up to date, and if you do, maybe could be worth to roll back to an older version, just in case (though I don't think this will work). If you updated from Windows 7/8.1 to 10 and you didn't uninstall and install again your GPU drivers, please, do it. I needed to do do it when I upgraded to Windows 10.

By the way, probably this lag/delay you are meaning is caused because you are playing in Windowed/Broderless and not in fullscreen. Considering that you are using Windows 10, you will have input lag if you don't play in fullscreen. But I really recommend you to do what I said above, because that GPU behaviour is not normal.
Lol it's a brand new laptop and I said I'm playing in full screen mode!
yeah I meant 60/60hz
I think Tom knew about something like this (http://ask.fm/Tom94/answer/132700971726) but couldn't find a real solution, its a 960M not a 960 (mine is a laptop model) and a few others have lag with nvidia rather than integrated on laptops with both integrated and dedicated graphics
Topic Starter
Daniel
Also the ms values (while playing) for different scenarios:

INTEGRATED:
Fullscreen = 2.5-4.5ms
borderless= 5-11ms
windowed(1600x900)= 4-8ms
As I lower the resolution for windowed the minimum delay (ms) gets lower but still can spike up to ~8ms max
Letterboxing makes delay a lot worse

DEDICATED:
Fullscreen= 5-9ms
borderless=2.5-6ms
windowed(1600x900)=1.5-6ms
As I lower the resolution for windowed the minimum delay (ms) gets lower but still can spike up to ~6ms max
Letterboxing makes delay a lot worse