forum

osu!weekly feedback and suggestions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
karterfreak
For those who are not familiar with the osu!weekly by now, it is a weekly news post made to the front page that covers current topics such as tournaments, live events, mapping contests, development talk and community ongoings. Some weeks end up being slower than others and I want to make sure I'm continuing to provide everyone with quality news and reading every week. With that said, what would you guys like to see in the osu!weekly? Almost anything goes other than a very small set of rules!

When making suggestions keep these small rules in mind:
  1. No discussion of banned players for any reason will be included in the weekly.
  2. No discussion of third party tools that break osu! terms of service will be included in the weekly.
  3. This is not a substitute for sending news to. Please continue to use news@ppy.sh if you have news to share with us!
  4. The final say on what gets put into weekly is made by the news staff. Some suggestions may be great but we may not be able to accommodate them with the staff we have on hand right now.
That's it! Other than those small things you guys can give any feedback and suggestions you want!
Deimos
maybe adding/mentioning new well-done skins? (approved by deadpeat)
RVMathew
Perhaps give a spotlight on maps that have been newly ranked during the week and give your personal preferences on the ones you like.
Howl

RVMathew wrote:

Perhaps give a spotlight on maps that have been newly ranked during the week and give your personal preferences on the ones you like.
Expressing personal preferences on maps out of a contest or somewhere where people all explicitly agreed to the fact they've had their maps judged imho is a no-go. Saying that a particular map that has been particularly hyped on (like Toumei Elegy) was ranked looks good to me, though.
Rilene
If player made a really impressive score, will it be on a news?
RVMathew

Rilene wrote:

It has already been done before. In previous weekly posts, there was one with Rafis on his DT HD HR play of best friends.
Rilene

RVMathew wrote:

Rilene wrote:

It has already been done before. In previous weekly posts, there was one with Rafis on his DT HD HR play of best friends.
Oh, then I'm waiting for Axarious' gangsta DT play.
juankristal
Spanish news ! okno
JFRN
Use the new osu!web style :D
JMC
we all are know osu!weekly place in the internet, so why not use all the advantages of its internet? I mean read all the text is a little bit boring lol

- maybe, change every news text header with cool small images
- forced peppy to record his voice and place to development side so audience just clik play and listen, and give the link to open peppy blog or something to read all the text
- embed video of osu!talk

SPOILER
ignore if you think my idea is crazy lol because i'm a little bit drunk right now
Bara-
Perhaps translations?
So it'll be understandable even to those who don't understand English (properly)
Howl

JMC wrote:

- maybe, change every news text header with cool small images
Perhaps, seems quite useless though.
- forced peppy to record his voice and place to development side so audience just clik play and listen, and give the link to open peppy blog or something to read all the text
You were joking on this one, weren't you?
If there's any video that is linked on an osu! weekly, then I agree on embedding rather than linking it.
Kingkevin30
I would love if we have some kind of retrospective summary of important people that are or have been a part of this community and how they influenced the direction of the game,Meta-Game,Mapping,Design,Mechanics and whatever kind of other topic could come to mind....

Like...what Larto brought to mapping..
how important woc2006 was to Osu!mania's Development
how LuigiHann contributed to Skin-Designing
Or how important Loctav is to this community
(because people should really cut that guy some slack, they don't know how hard he is working) *kappa*

TL;DR : More indepth summary's of people that have been a major influences to the community/game from the "List of notable people"
TPGPL
Awesome plays please
Topic Starter
karterfreak

Baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps translations?
So it'll be understandable even to those who don't understand English (properly)
This is something I want to do, but I need to find people who are willing to translate.

Howl wrote:

If there's any video that is linked on an osu! weekly, then I agree on embedding rather than linking it.
I'll start embedding videos in the future!

Kingkevin30 wrote:

*snip*

TL;DR : More indepth summary's of people that have been a major influences to the community/game from the "List of notable people"
I feel like this partially treads into osu!talk territory, but if there's any interviews or articles written about these topics, they're sure to be included in the weekly.
juankristal

Tasha wrote:

Baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps translations?
This is something I want to do, but I need to find people who are willing to translate.
Spanish translator oveer here ! o/
Razor Sharp

Tasha wrote:

Baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps translations?
I might be able to do some translating from the norwegian side if that would help.
I have no problem reading/talking english, so the translating is easy itself, but idk if i can every week?
Seijiro

Tasha wrote:

Baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps translations?
Italian translation done too :3
I'll ask around if someone wants to spend less than half an hour to translate it too.
Glysce
I volunteer as tribute.
EB3K
AXARIOUS MADE A NEW PP RECORD EXCLUDING COOKIEZI
i mean if u include cookiezi...
1. Blue Zenith 727pp Cookiezi
2. Freedom Dive 713pp Cookiezi
3. High Score 698pp Cookiezi
4. Kuchizuke Diamond 696pp Axarious (FINALLY NOT COOKIEZI)
I respect Cookezi but the top 3 are taken by Cookezi so might as well mention Axarious' play
deadbeat

Tasha wrote:

1. This is not a substitute for sending news to. Please continue to use news@ppy.sh if you have news to share with us!
B1rd
"For osu!, we decided to let Baraatje123 pick their favourite maps."

This does not make sense and sounds wrong, I really think osu! weekly should have correct grammar.
OnosakiHito

B1rd wrote:

"For osu!, we decided to let Baraatje123 pick their favourite maps."

This does not make sense and sounds wrong, I really think osu! weekly should have correct grammar.
What you are talking about isn't in the osu! weekly but in the Ranking Chart Announcement.
"Their" is for addressing someone in a neutral way as we don't know whether this person is male or female.
B1rd
Whoops I got it confused. Maybe if you had of replied to my PM that I sent a month or so ago.

I know why you used 'their', but it doesn't make it correct or an acceptable substitute. Don't just butcher the English language for your convenience, especially when you're representing something. Either ask the person his or her gender and use 'he' or 'she'. It's also acceptable to use 'he' is the person's gender is unknown, and most people here are male anyway (sorry if that's not PC xdd). Or you could just change the wording. He are some examples:

'for osu!, we let Baraatje123 pick the maps'

'for osu!, we let Baraatje123 pick his favourite maps'

'for osu!, we let Baraatje123 pick his/her favourite maps'
OnosakiHito
You might be right. I will consider that in the next announcement!
Of course, I will ask for confirmation as well.
B1rd
Thanks. Sorry if I seemed condescending.
Halogen-
Going to state the obvious here, but you run the risk of opening a can of worms doing this:

B1rd wrote:

Either ask the person his or her gender and use 'he' or 'she'. It's also acceptable to use 'he' is the person's gender is unknown , and most people here are male anyway (sorry if that's not PC xdd).
not gonna delve into it, because it's not my place, but... i'd say leave things as they are personally.
Topic Starter
karterfreak
They and their can both be used as singular when referring to a neutral gender. There is no butchering of the English language going on here unless you think Oxford Dictionaries doesn't know what they're talking about. Sure there's controversy over this particular use because of old grammar rules but it's been widely accepted by people for a long time.
Sonnyc
How do people think about osu!weekly existing as an individual section?

Since it currently exists at the "announcement" section, I think it's hard to deny that the current form has a potential risk of some 'real announcements' getting burried by the weekly basis updating news.
show more