forum

How does one practice full alternate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DegPixel
Currently my style is to singletap as much as humanly possible, which has gotten me pretty far, but now that I'm getting into 5-6 star songs, I feel like my streaming and aim are beginning to suffer for it. Have people learned to tap full-alternate from singletapping, and if so, what did you do to practice that?

No doubt I'll probably get a few responses like "singletap is fine" but honestly, at the highest caliber of play I do feel full-alternate would be the better choice, so I'd still like to adapt to that if possible. If you'd like to add constructive help though, methods for training your off-finger for streams and triplets while singletapping would also be useful to me.
Bauxe
You just force yourself to alternate? Not even hard to do.

Learn to do both if you want to be good.
E m i

Bauxe wrote:

A Medic
Just force yourself to do it and keep practicing it.
Topic Starter
DegPixel

Bauxe wrote:

When would I singletap over alternating, assuming I'm good at both? Would there be any situations where singletap is better than alternating if both are second-nature?
E m i

DegPixel wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

When would I singletap over alternating, assuming I'm good at both? Would there be any situations where singletap is better than alternating if both are second-nature?
If you learn both you will also know that, the most basic example is alternating allowing you to reach higher speeds and any of those two can sometimes make certain patterns easier to hit/more intuitive to read
StephOsu
just believe in yourself and tap
ZenithPhantasm
Learning both is the highest caliber.
xasuma
JUST DO IT!

you might suck for a month or so.. but it will get better
Rilene

StephOsu wrote:

just believe in yourself and tap
ZenithPhantasm
Alternating is best learned early on
koromo

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Alternating is best learned early on
This isn't quite right. If you ask me, I don't think it makes a difference. Many of my higher rank friends have decided to practice alternating in the past and get the hang of it quite fast. Enhu even switched to alternating all the time instead of single tapping while being top 200.

It's never too late, the result will likely be the same (or maybe even better due to experience).

Also the best way to practice alternating is to just do it. Just alternate and you will get better at it. Source: Me, I alternate everything at all times.
vsprite
worry about finger control when you are below 10k. In the meantime, enjoy game
YamiHikari
Well like what the others say, force yourself to alternate. You can start with slightly lower bpms to get comfortable with alternating as it might be weird and uncomfortable at first. Other than that, the key is to have time and patience because it might take some time to get used to.
TehDragonGuy

DegPixel wrote:

Currently my style is to singletap as much as humanly possible, which has gotten me pretty far, but now that I'm getting into 5-6 star songs, I feel like my streaming and aim are beginning to suffer for it. Have people learned to tap full-alternate from singletapping, and if so, what did you do to practice that?

No doubt I'll probably get a few responses like "singletap is fine" but honestly, at the highest caliber of play I do feel full-alternate would be the better choice, so I'd still like to adapt to that if possible. If you'd like to add constructive help though, methods for training your off-finger for streams and triplets while singletapping would also be useful to me.

At 70k you should not be ANYWHERE near 6 star songs...
Liweinator

TehDragonGuy wrote:

DegPixel wrote:

At 70k you should not be ANYWHERE near 6 star songs...
Then where should you be at 100k?
-sev

Liweinator wrote:

negative star ratings
byfar
first

practice single tapping with both fingers middle and index,

listen to the music,

then learn to alternate sliders & extended sliders

then alternate 2.5-3 star hard diffs DT. with really scrunched up 1/2s (kind of like a spaced stream, but like 1 or 2 notes)

then get gud
E m i
scralet rse
Sh0keR
singletapping is fine, why would you want to switch?
StephOsu

Liweinator wrote:

being a 3 star scrub
Roxy Lalonde
I like to commend myself as a full-on alternating player but I simply can't undermine the use of single-tap when it's best needed. Most songs play on a 4/4 beat and with that stated, alternating fits well not only on developing a basic motion that founds streaming, but also to develop a musical sense in your tapping especially since they correlate well on downbeats.

Truth be told that you can't unlearn single-tap. That is a law written in you when you first start playing osu!. So by adjusting to alternation you expose yourself to the goods of both single-tap and alternating.

I can't say that I've used single-tap to its maximum potential but I find it as an easy get-out-of-jail-free card with its universal 1/1 musical denotation to a sudden rush of unfamiliar rhythms that would normally confuse my alternating motion to choke.

Alternating is easy for the most part, but the real trick to practicing it is being able to apply it in creative bursts of notes and sliders. It's not rocket science to Z on the first 1/2 beat, X on the next, and rinse and repeat. But for say... tap Z, hold X, tap Z, tap X, hold Z, tap X (imagine a dense string of sliders and notes) it takes real practice of alternating to work out right.
AD0M1C

DegPixel wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

The Big Black's Sliders.
Vuelo Eluko

BigGay255255 wrote:

DegPixel wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

The Big Black's Sliders.
that makes like 10+ threads necro'd this week alone
and the second one to simply mention the big black beatmap by blue dragon while contributing nothing else (first one was https://old.ppy.sh/forum/p/7179472 )
Seems fishy.
lewski
funny how I'm completely unable to singletap the sliders in big black but can alt them just fine
HydriZ
As a full on alternate guy, I suggest you to practice a slow stream and jump map and when your able to fc it you jump to some faster map.