forum

Quad Aces/OCT - Osu! league 2016 - Help needed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Elessey
Quad Aces and Osu Community Tournament are now one team
A couple weeks ago, Ascendance, leader of Osu Community Tournament contacted me and proposed to work together on tournaments. I like what he's been doing so far with his team and I saw great potential in joining our forces so I said yes. We decided to go even further and merge our teams since we both needed (and still need) more members.
From that, we thought about things that we couldn't do but are now closer to being doable. You can now see the list of members on our "about" page. There will be a team based in America, one in Europe and one in Asia/Oceania. This has been done in order to facilitate one of the big projects we came up with.

Osu! league 2016
With the merging of Quad Aces and Osu Community Tournaments, we decided to see bigger and great ideas came to mind. One of these ideas is to start doing Leagues in 2016.
The details of that plan haven't been thought yet but here's the first draft of what we've decided.

Location/Timezones
3 leagues :
America (North America, South America)
Europe (Western Europe, Eastern Europe), Africa, Middle East
Asia/Oceania

Schedule
The matches would take place during the week, in the after school/work hours, from 17:00 to 21:00.
Monday : Osu! standard
Tuesday : Taiko
Wednesday : Catch the Beat
Thursday : Osu!mania

Format
1vs1 or 4v4
Players would play against everyone at least once and get points if they won.
At the end of the season, the top x players from each region would be registered for a final tournament with group stage and a double elimination knockout stage. The number is not yet defined.
The time that the league would take is not yet defined and neither is the time that the final tournament would take.

Categories
We will pick only one category among these ones :
1 - 1 000
1 000 - 10 000
10 000 - 50 000
50 000 - 100 000
100 000 -

What we need from you
This is just a draft for the moment and we need more information to improve. This is where we need your help.
In order to make this possible, we will need more staff members. If you want to join and help us you can do so by filling this form. We can accept anyone whatever they want to help with but we especially need :

Overall
- Taiko map selectors
- Osu!mania map selectors
- Taiko map testers
- Osu!mania map testers

Asia/Oceania
- Referees
- Streamers
- Commentators
- Moderators

America
- Streamers
- Moderators

Polls
We also need to improve this idea and we need your feedback. We don't want to start something that the players aren't interested in. So we would appreciate if you could answer those polls :

- Which gamemodes do you play ?
- What is your rank on Osu! standard ?
- What is your rank on Taiko ?
- What is your rank on CtB ?
- What is your rank on Osu!mania ?
- Would you prefer a 1vs1 league or a 4vs4 league ?

That way we'll know more about the people that are reading us and provide something that would satisfy most people.

Also, if you want to ask questions or make suggestions, feel free to do so.
Bass
Hope it won't end up like QTT, gl.
Topic Starter
Elessey
If the idea isn't perfect, there won't even be a registration period. We need more information, more staff, and interested players.
Minhtam
Well, first, we need more players the game, period. Would be tough to do when we don't get paid to play this game.
Ascendance

Minhtam wrote:

Well, first, we need more players the game, period. Would be tough to do when we don't get paid to play this game.
in what world would we pay someone to play when others will voluntarily join for the fun, experience, and otherwise
Musty
man it's obvious that the word "league" implies that it should be EXACTLY like LCS !!!!!!!!!
Ascendance

Musty wrote:

man it's obvious that the word "league" implies that it should be EXACTLY like LCS !!!!!!!!!
musty im big fan #1 tournament organizer wowowow
Topic Starter
Elessey
Thank you for answering those polls, it really helps us knowing about the active community in this forum. The polls are still going for a few more weeks.
TrueLucifer

Musty wrote:

LCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;33
przepson
Team league :OOO
osu! going to more epickness :o
+ :]
Topic Starter
Elessey
Some updates :
First I'm speaking about the Europe leagues. Ascendance might come up with something slightly different concerning America.

We decided to have 20 players/league. We won't have the time to do more since each player will have to face a different opponent each week.

With that we came up with a possible schedule for 2016 :
Week 1 - Week 19 : leagues.
Week 20 - Week 30 : break. This period will be used to make the matches that would be reported during the league period and/or to do a qualification tournament for the final tournament at the end of the year.
Week 31 - Week 50 : Final tournaments. 5 weeks for a tournament in each mode.

With the results of the polls, we think that we can do the Catch the Beat league for players between rank #1 and #1000. We need to make the rules, get more referees, streamers and commentators. Once we have that, we can start the registration.
Osu standard can also be done for 3 categories, we're not sure if they will be all done. The categories are [1-1 000], [1 000 - 10 000] and [10 000 - 50 000].

Keep giving us feedback. It helps us improving our ideas.
Octagon
-
Musty
i don't think doing leagues according to the ranks is a good idea. It should be just like if you're winning over an inferior division, then you'll rank up into the higher division or something like that. Actually the same as in every sports if you want my 2 cents
Topic Starter
Elessey

Musty wrote:

i don't think doing leagues according to the ranks is a good idea. It should be just like if you're winning over an inferior division, then you'll rank up into the higher division or something like that. Actually the same as in every sports if you want my 2 cents
We're starting with ranks but just this time. In the next editions, new players, whatever their rank is will be in the lower divisions and will have to work they way up. We haven't really thought about it but that's the idea long term speaking.
Ascendance
Good evening everyone, my apologies for my late post. As said above, I've been the previous host of OCT for 8 tournaments here on osu! and I did some behind the scenes work on the more recent osu! All-Star tournament. I'm happy I can bring my experience to QA, and I hope that I can surpass everyone's expectations with this upcoming league. Without further ado, let's get started on what I'll be bringing to the table for my side of the ocean.

- Please note that I do not have dates currently.

- Please also note that the entire system of the QA/OCT League revolves around a "World Championship-esque" system in which the top performing players in each region will be able to represent themselves as well as their region at a Finals type event.

America League:

How the league is broken down: 3 "Seasons" will be put in place, Winter, Spring, and Summer, with the Final tournament being in the fall. The America league will be broken into 2 divisions of 16 players each. The upper division players will be rewarded with double tournament points for maintaining their standing in the upper class. At the end of each season, the bottom 4 from the upper bracket and the top 4 from the lower bracket will trade places automatically, without needing to qualify for the next season. The next 4 players from each group (following the playoffs from Lower Bracket, which consist of players rank 5-10) will play in a small, gauntlet style tournament for 4 spots in the upper league. This is put in place to emphasize regular season standings and their importance to the season as a whole. Players ranked 7 and 8 in the upper league will auto-qualify for the next season in upper bracket, but will not have the ability to participate in the playoffs like players ranked #1-6 will. You can find a visual display of everything here by clicking on this link

- Note that in playoffs, the top 2 seeded players will automatically advance to Semifinals.

Requirements to join:

- You can join this league if you are from North / Central / South America or any Islands within the vicinity of these places. If you need further help in wondering if your specific country is eligible for the America league, please contact me.

- You must not be currently living in somewhere other than where your profile flag lists you as.

- You must be an active player and you must have the days and time available for the specific mode you sign up for. Any form of inactivity or significant decay to purposely drop your ranking will disqualify you.

- You must be at least rank 60,000 to sign up.

How to qualify:

- At a date that is currently undetermined, a signup will go out here, and on reddit's /r/osugame for the qualifier tournament. 64 players will be chosen. Any players from ranks 1-2500 will be given priority. All other selections will be randomized.

- A single elimination tournament will take place over the course of one weekend with two map pools.

- Seeding will go by opposites, meaning Seed #1 vs. Seed #64, #2 vs. #63, etc.

As for now, this is what I have down, and nothing is 100% confirmed yet. If you have criticism, feedback, or any other type of information for me, or even want to help out, please feel free to contact me via this thread, via PM, or in-game.

Thanks a lot to everyone who could give me a chance to prove myself once again, hopefully I can grow from my mistakes and work hard at making this a success.
[ Jg ]
TAIKO CUP BOYS
Topic Starter
Elessey
Hello everyone. We're still working on this project and I can say that we're almost ready to start the registrations for a European Catch the Beat League.
An offcial thread will be made when it is 100% ready but I can show you what it is going to look so far :

Registration
Rank : Any but the mappools will be made for players above rank #1000.
Number of players (or teams) : 20 or 40.

League rules
Format (This will be decided depending on how many players will register) :
- 1vs1, no substitution allowed
- (4vs4, 4 players + 2 substitutes)

Winning conditions :
- A player needs to have a better score than their opponent to win a point.
- A player needs to win 4 points to win the match (best of 7).

Ranking rules :
Wins - Losses - Point difference - Points won - Points lost

Procedure : One of them will be chosen
1) 1 whole big season :
20 players/teams compete during 19 weeks. At the end of those 19 weeks, the top 4 players/teams will be qualified for the final tournament to face the other top players/teams from the other regions. Players #5, #6, #7 and #8 will have to participate in a small tournament and fight for the 5th spot to the final tournament.

2) 3 seasons, winter/spring/summer :
- 10 players/teams per tier, 2 or 4 tiers. The players/teams will compete during 9 weeks. At the end of those 9 weeks, the top 5 players will go in the upper tier, and the bottom 5 players will go in the lower tier.
- At the end of each season, players/teams will gain season points according to their place.
- There will also be a league cup, a tournament for players to get extra season points. The top players will have a chance to increase their lead and the bottom players will have a chance to catch up in the final ranking.
- The top 5 players with the most season points will go to the final tournament to face the top players from other regions.

Final tournament :
Top 5 players will be qualified to a tournament to compete against players of other regions.
Number of players : 16
The rules will be published once the leagues are finished.

Mappool rules :
Mods :
NoMod : Players won't be allowed to play with any mod.
HardRock only : Players will have to play with this mod only.
Hidden only : Players will have to play with this mod only.
DoubleTime only : Players will have to play with this mod only.
Freemod : Players can play with any mod or no mod at all.
Tiebreaker (FreeMod) : The FreeMod rules will be applied for the tiebreaker.

There will be a new mappool each week.

Schedule
League Schedule :
Wednesdays
17:00 - 21:00
Week 1 - Week 19 or Week 1 - Week 9 / Week 10 - Week 18 / Week 19 - Week 27

Final Tournament Schedule :
Weekends
Week 40 - Week 45

I am not sure yet about certain points especially concerning the procedure but I guess it will be easier to choose when I have a clearer idea of how many players we can expect to join.
As always, any feedback is welcome and much appreciated.