cYsmix - House With Legs

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
D33d

Natsu wrote:

D33d wrote:

That's really a thing? Not that it would matter anyway--peppy seemed really keen for me to get this ranked, so I suppose I'll either have to wait or he'll end up twisting someone's arm in true peppy fashion. I'm just glad it's sorted now, but knowing me, I'll probably spot a load of hitsound errors I wish I could change.
yeah is a hard rule, I don't think exceptions should be allowed, since other people got their maps DQ before because this.
...The entire point of this is that peppy's on the lookout for ranked maps. What you're suggesting would be impossible to enforce under the circumstances and would completely defeat the purpose of this. Unless peppy decides to bundle an unranked set, which just isn't gonna happen. I do not want to become a victim of red tape, when the entire point is that mappers are competing over the same songs.

Thanks to everyone for the mega-fast modding--though the suddenness is a bit scary. If this set's DQed, then I'll be doing whatever's absolutely necessary to improve it. And thanks to peppy and cYsmix for making this initial stint possible!
Topic Starter
D33d
Wait a minute. The countdown's still broken in hard. I don't know how this'd be dealt with, but if it requires a DQ, I'd much rather be able to remove such a glaring error before a quick recheck.
Yuii-

D33d wrote:

Wait a minute. The countdown's still broken in hard. I don't know how this'd be dealt with, but if it requires a DQ, I'd much rather be able to remove such a glaring error before a quick recheck.
Tell any QAT you want your map to be DQ'd in order to fix some things. You only have 12 hours after the map has gotten Qualified.
Topic Starter
D33d

Yuii- wrote:

D33d wrote:

Tell any QAT you want your map to be DQ'd in order to fix some things. You only have 12 hours after the map has gotten Qualified.
That's fine, thank you. I'll see if I can get it sorted--though I get the feeling that someone's gonna find some technicality to DQ this somewhere within the week anyway. As expected, some stray hitsounds are bothering me too, though they're hardly much of a concern. If this actually gets speedranked, my mind will be officially blown.
Charles445
Played the insane, spacing was pretty hard to read.

It relies a bunch on perceiving objects "close" to each other, like, a grid box away in order to denote 1/4, but the 1/2 spacing isn't that much bigger at parts.
Some parts that I found straining to read (as in had to rely on approach circles) were 00:27:244 (2,3) - , 01:05:682 (1,2,3) -, 01:54:432 (1,2) -, 02:04:744 (7,8) - , as far as 1/2 1/4 goes

00:59:119 (4,5) - I was caught by surprise at the circle jump here. I wasn't expecting circle to other objects to deviate from 1/2. Circle to something is a much harder motion than slider to something!

01:41:775 (3,4,5,6,1) - I panicked REALLY hard here. The OD is 8.5 so there is little room for error as far as mistaking the rhythm goes, and the 1/3 slider started to imply that whatever was coming up might not be 1/4. But, it was a stack? Is it a double on 1/3 or 1/4? What's it going to be? Can I look at the approach circles?
That's the sort of questions a player asks themselves over the course of half a second...

As for other stuff, 00:17:869 (2,3,4) - The angle of the 4 is a bit weird coming from the 3. I expected the slider to sorta go with the movement or be a simple angle change, but it is instead creating like, a multiple bend movement... http://puu.sh/kESEn/088bafd145.jpg
I don't think that sort of movement happens anywhere else in the map.
ErunamoJAZZ
lol, yuii, you need to be more careful :P

due BN rules ("Do not qualify the songs which already have another beatmap in the Qualified section."), Im 101% sure this will be DQ soon, but dont worry about the time, since this is a bundled competition, time is not a very relevant factor, but be amazing, yes.

Good luck :3
Charles445
Wouldn't surprise me if mapping w/ rewards is allowed to bypass the delay in order to promote more participation.
Topic Starter
D33d
Hey Charles, thanks for dropping some input. I'll reply to the your points explaining why I've done certain things and why I think an Insane-level player would be able to pick up on the subtleties in the map.

Charles445 wrote:

Played the insane, spacing was pretty hard to read.

It relies a bunch on perceiving objects "close" to each other, like, a grid box away in order to denote 1/4, but the 1/2 spacing isn't that much bigger at parts.
Some parts that I found straining to read (as in had to rely on approach circles) were 00:27:244 (2,3) - , 01:05:682 (1,2,3) -, 01:54:432 (1,2) -, 02:04:744 (7,8) - , as far as 1/2 1/4 goes While I'd be inclined to maybe reduce the 1/4 a little at the start, there are plenty of contextual cues such as the repeated rhythm in the music, repeated sliders for visual guidance, streams going into spacing and just good old reading... Plus, the spacing differs a fair bit as it is. Like, a lot. I was only really sketchy about that pickup into the last chorus, but the start of the copypaste makes it fairly obvious where the pattern will resolve.

00:59:119 (4,5) - I was caught by surprise at the circle jump here. I wasn't expecting circle to other objects to deviate from 1/2. Circle to something is a much harder motion than slider to something! The difference in spacing's pretty clear here and, along with reading, I don't think this is a problem that warrants destroying a pattern if I do need to alter the map.

01:41:775 (3,4,5,6,1) - I panicked REALLY hard here. The OD is 8.5 so there is little room for error as far as mistaking the rhythm goes, and the 1/3 slider started to imply that whatever was coming up might not be 1/4. But, it was a stack? Is it a double on 1/3 or 1/4? What's it going to be? Can I look at the approach circles?
That's the sort of questions a player asks themselves over the course of half a second... This is a pretty intense section in the music, so I deliberately made it flow in a way that should make the player focus more. There's no real getting around the sudden triplet's awkwardness, but the spacing of the jump and the obvious spacing increase from 1/4 make this about as fair as is physically possible. Moreover, the the slider plays the entire triplet pattern for the player, which gives ample time to anticipate the following slider--easily enough time for an insane-level player to be able to read without much second-guessing. I don't think there's anything wrong with challenging the player's reading a little bit, as long as it's fair and there's time to read circles, which I fully believe is the case with almost all of the map.

As for other stuff, 00:17:869 (2,3,4) - The angle of the 4 is a bit weird coming from the 3. I expected the slider to sorta go with the movement or be a simple angle change, but it is instead creating like, a multiple bend movement... http://puu.sh/kESEn/088bafd145.jpg
I don't think that sort of movement happens anywhere else in the map. I did this to create a slight emphasis when everything's nice and easy to read--there's' a little bounce in the music. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't really anything difficult about the flow here. As far as it being a unique part of the map, the song's feel is completely different here and I've reflected that in the whole section.
That should cover everything--if there's anything that warrants a DQ that's seriously broken, then I'll consider the above in addition and maybe consider some other readability things, as I know of other places which could possibly benefit.

Also, I was gonna try and bug somebody for a quick DQ/recheck, but my set was instaqualified while I was doing other work. Then I went to sleep thinking I'd still have time after I woke up. D'oh... Are ninja-edits still a thing? I'm assuming that a countdown change is fair game for this.

Edit: I've considered the above while preparing my map to be qualified again and while I haven't applied these particular suggestions, I have taken steps to make small adjustments to the readability and flow where I deemed it necessary. Since I was able to take useful information from your mod, I'd give you kudosu if I could.
Myxo
The countdown is broken in Hard, so I'm taking this down.
Good luck!
Mao
How is it going to be handeled now? Shall we wait the week or not :/
Topic Starter
D33d

Mao wrote:

How is it going to be handeled now? Shall we wait the week or not :/
That might bother peppy if it interferes with his plans for the set or the contest as a whole. Since he's had such an interest in this it, it'll be well worth asking him in #lounge if you can approach him there.

I'd say to just go for it, but... I'm biased. :D I'm currently making a few small changes, which is mainly overlaps and a couple if hitsounds.. If you fancy working with Desperate and me to make sure this is road-ready again, please PM me.
Irreversible
what about bubbles with legs
Topic Starter
D33d
I tried to search for images of bubbles with legs, but you'd be at amazed at how many pics there are of legs in a bubble bath. So I went with Google's suggestion of "did you mean bubble with arms" instead.

Myxo
Have a heart with legs!

Ayachi-
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/360680
?
2 maps with same song in qualified?
Yuii-
That rule isn't applied for this contest.
Lust
Disqualified, have a read at this.

(Also happy birthday d33d!)
Topic Starter
D33d
Balls. I'm not worried though--it's part of the process and I know that I've made my set the best I can make it (and maybe I can focus on making the countdowns play nice). Thanks for the uh, gift.
Sonnyc
Uhh nice gift lol
Mafumafu
best gift ever lol
Topic Starter
D33d
Lust did tell me that I should only need to wait a few days now. I'm more or less done with this for now, so I'll try to keep my mind off this while I enjoy my birthday and do a little work. Thanks for the continued support though--It's pretty humbling.
Topic Starter
D33d
I've been using this time to improve my set in subtle ways and I've fixed the countdown problem I had with Hard. It never occurred to me to simply try deleting the first inheriting section.

Apparently, having a timing point on beat one--or maybe using a small multiplier--really messes things up. I had 1.06x to force arc blankets to fit the grid, but I decided to forgo that notion and just have everything at normal speed. Works a charm now.
Irreversible
~o~
Lust
...and we're back!
Topic Starter
D33d
How I feel rn

Monstrata

D33d wrote:

As I've taken a high-SV approach, the rest of the set will feel faster than others, as is my typical approach. If the SV change for the chorus is too much for [Normal] and [Easy], I'm already wary of that. However, I'm doing what I can to give them ample breathing space, while still making them feel energetic. I would much prefer to be told how to simplify sections, rather than forcing myself to adjust everything for a lower setting.
I don't think its the SV change that is making your Easy/Normal feel too fast. It's a lack of a consistent DS concept xP. Your DS ranges from 0.6x to 1.5x on Normal. and its equally chaotic on Easy, and I don't see any consistencies in the DS changes. Like on Normal: 00:36:619 (2,1) - Is 1.57x spacing but this spacing never occurs again. I would kind of expect it to occur at 00:44:119 (4,1) - Since that's the same rhythm profile being looped (00:45:994 - The change comes here).

I'm totally cool with people not respecting DS on low diff's if the spacing chances are consistent, but I don't see logic in the way the objects were set up here xP. They seem random to me, and the constant shift in DS makes the diff feel a bit disjointed xP. I'll point out some examples on Normal:

00:17:869 (2,1,2) - This makes sense as a stand-alone pattern. You get some nice emphasis onto 00:18:807 (1) - with a slightly larger DS. The DS is noticeably bigger, but still within the range for intermediate players to realize this is a 1/1 spacing, and not some 3/2 spacing.
00:25:838 (3,1) - But then here there is no spacing increase, which makes me wonder why you do something above, but leave it out here. As stand-alone patterns they work very well, but as a map it just feels inconsistent for me :P.

AiMod shows a lot of spacing inconsistencies in Easy/Normal. Yea, you aren't respecting DS which on a pattern basis is fine, but as whole difficulty, it just feels inconsistent. Maybe I'm just not used to the ancient mapping styles lol.
Topic Starter
D33d

monstrata wrote:

D33d wrote:

As I've taken a high-SV approach, the rest of the set will feel faster than others, as is my typical approach. If the SV change for the chorus is too much for [Normal] and [Easy], I'm already wary of that. However, I'm doing what I can to give them ample breathing space, while still making them feel energetic. I would much prefer to be told how to simplify sections, rather than forcing myself to adjust everything for a lower setting.
I don't think its the SV change that is making your Easy/Normal feel too fast. It's a lack of a consistent DS concept xP. Your DS ranges from 0.6x to 1.5x on Normal. and its equally chaotic on Easy, and I don't see any consistencies in the DS changes. Like on Normal: 00:36:619 (2,1) - Is 1.57x spacing but this spacing never occurs again. I would kind of expect it to occur at 00:44:119 (4,1) - Since that's the same rhythm profile being looped (00:45:994 - The change comes here).

I'm totally cool with people not respecting DS on low diff's if the spacing chances are consistent, but I don't see logic in the way the objects were set up here xP. They seem random to me, and the constant shift in DS makes the diff feel a bit disjointed xP. I'll point out some examples on Normal:

00:17:869 (2,1,2) - This makes sense as a stand-alone pattern. You get some nice emphasis onto 00:18:807 (1) - with a slightly larger DS. The DS is noticeably bigger, but still within the range for intermediate players to realize this is a 1/1 spacing, and not some 3/2 spacing.
00:25:838 (3,1) - But then here there is no spacing increase, which makes me wonder why you do something above, but leave it out here. As stand-alone patterns they work very well, but as a map it just feels inconsistent for me :P.

AiMod shows a lot of spacing inconsistencies in Easy/Normal. Yea, you aren't respecting DS which on a pattern basis is fine, but as whole difficulty, it just feels inconsistent. Maybe I'm just not used to the ancient mapping styles lol.
In places where DS increases don't occur in the extra space between combos, they're there for clarity and separation. I deliberately used a bit in Easy in particular so that those rows around the breakdown didn't feel bunched up--and so that the 1/1 sliders felt more important. To elaborate on combo-to-combo jumps, I consider the differences inconsequential when circles are large enough to target easily and the patterns themselves are placed deliberately for flow reasons. Sometimes, it's just about making specific patterns work together and I don't think the playability's affected in practice. Spacing is pretty much 100% within patterns, where the important variance occurs.

SV changes were used for either slight emphasis (consistent across diffs/some exclusive to Insane) or to make a few sliders fit within patterns. Again, nothing that I feel has a practical impact on the maps when playing them.

It's not so much about mapping styles as it is making decisions as to where spacing can be broken without much/any harm, so that the mapping isn't restricted needlessly. Easy and normal are separated into simpler phrases with space between them, so that the player can focus on single patterns. That's an approach I've seen and used to good effect many times and I have a general idea of when identical spacing is more and less important.

If it sounds like I'm overexplaining myself, it's because this sort of thing's became intuition for me and I see very people who are aware that you can break spacing in the right places, whether it's because there's lots of time to hit the next pattern or because the next pattern's simply very easy to read.
Myxo

D33d wrote:

This set is currently disqualified.
Mao
<3
JoriBori04
Hi
<3
Topic Starter
D33d

JoriBori04 wrote:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=372299#
Okay
JoriBori04
wtf?
JoriBori04
dafuq u talking about
Brad Bird
FUCKING SHIT
Topic Starter
D33d

Gangsta729 wrote:

FUCKING SHIT
Thanks for your stellar feedback. That will really help me if I ever care to map again!