forum

cYsmix - House With Legs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D33d
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 19 October 2015 at 22:06:05

Artist: cYsmix
Title: House With Legs
Source: osu!
Tags: Mapping with Rewards
BPM: 128
Filesize: 5176kb
Play Time: 02:39
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.69 stars, 149 notes)
  2. Hard (3.17 stars, 360 notes)
  3. Insane (3.78 stars, 448 notes)
  4. Normal (2.37 stars, 214 notes)
Download: cYsmix - House With Legs
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is a map for peppy's Mapping with Rewards scheme. In the end, it should consist of four difficulties, with what you'd probably call a "light Insane" these days. My goal is to make a solid, consistent set that expresses the music tastefully.

I may also be treating this set as a warmup for future plans for cYsmix' music and beyond. Watch this space.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this set, whether it was your kind words or your direct involvement with the ranking process. I really appreciate it.
Garven
Jenny

Garven wrote:

Hey, that's actually the same model of watch my father bought in like, the late 90s.
Myxo
This is sooo damn great. I hope it can be qualified soon, I would want this to be the bundled version (even though I liked alacat's too).
Akiyama Mizuki
Winning one I bet. <3
Myxo
And also don't worry about the SV, high SV is best! <3
Topic Starter
D33d
ATTENTION: ignore normal until I upload it without the SV increase. I rushed it without really thinking and I came to realise that, even if it felt acceptable, it's to close to hard and it would drag easy up way too far in speed.

Adjusting the map shouldn't take long, so expect it to be sorted today. I'll then get easy on the go. Thank you for your patience.

All fixed up. Normal's still a touch intense, as I've still used a smaller increase for the choruses. I tried them without and they just robbed the choruses of life. Please take this into consideration when modding.
Irreversible
I like this version a lot, this kind of mapping style definitely suits this kind of music. Looking forward seeing it ranked!

wub.. wubwub
17:18 D33d: Hey there!
17:18 Irreversible: hey
17:19 D33d: So my mapping's rampaging on and I just have easy to do
17:19 D33d: Do you think you'd be able to check normal quickly?
17:22 Irreversible: Hmm
17:23 Irreversible: I'm not a too big fan of it, it's not bad per se but I think some angles came out really sharp
17:23 Irreversible: 00:38:963 (3,1) - this for example
17:23 Irreversible: 00:39:432 (1,2,1,2,3) - Same for this, this kind of movement is not very confortable to me
17:24 Irreversible: It's interesting how the spacing makes perfectly sense but throws me off sometimes, haha
17:24 D33d: Ah I see
17:24 D33d: That's why I tend to have combo-to-combo jumps in normals now. They give the player space
17:24 Irreversible: 01:49:275 (3,4) - And I think that's a no-go
17:26 D33d: Do you think that'd be confusing? I reckon it'd be played fluidly with (4) ending on the beat
17:26 Irreversible: Well in all honesty, I'm not familar with Normals / Easies at all anymore
17:26 Irreversible: you should see how i map normals
17:26 Irreversible: loooool
17:26 D33d: Should I focus on smoothing out that part of the start and a few more patterns?
17:26 D33d: Ahhh, hahaha
17:26 Irreversible: smoothing out is always good, however
17:27 D33d: I tend to prefer more angles in low diffs, 'cause they're an easy way to create emphasis
17:27 Irreversible: btw if i may point something out in insane
17:27 D33d: Go for it
17:27 Irreversible: 00:39:432 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - I think the way you've put the rhythm here does not really highlight the song or whatever
17:27 Irreversible: it feels really spammy to me and I would enjoy it more if it followed the song a bit better
17:27 Irreversible: I mean it does follow the song obviously
17:27 Irreversible: but
17:28 Irreversible: Even if you compare the first combo with the second, first one has somewhat higher tones, second one is lower, so I would distinguish that for sure
17:28 D33d: Also another reason I like to use more angles is to try and keep the player's mouse in one place. I personally struggled with long sections of fluid motion
17:29 D33d: And I kinda wanted to make that bit in insane a steady build by following the groove. Though tbh I think it's a bit boring
17:29 Irreversible: yeah, boring fits pretty well haha
17:30 Irreversible: Why did you use 2.06 sv?
17:32 D33d: mm once taught me to use multiples of 0.16, so that straight lines match the grid perfectly
17:33 D33d: Though I think 1.25x multipliers throw off that alignment. I just do it out of habit now and so that I have an easier time with the grid
17:33 D33d: I spaced out that bit at the start of normal
17:33 Irreversible: yeah but 0.16 is 2.08
17:33 Irreversible: XD
17:34 D33d: ...Wow, yeah.
17:34 D33d: Well fuck that now. At least the map seems to work
17:34 Irreversible: hahaha
17:35 D33d: Oh well, you're giving me a lot to work with already. Feel free to post a log so people know I'm actually trying to improve this
Mafumafu
wow cool map, D33d
let's continue talking about our tentacles xD
Topic Starter
D33d
For artistic reasons, I've decided to go with a familiarly spacey set of combo colours... Or should I stick with my classic iNiS set? Decisions, people!
Sonnyc
[Easy]
  1. 01:07:557 (3,1) - 02:15:057 (3,1) - I feel the spacing between these two objects is way too large for a beginner to smoothly move in 2 beats. Removing the reverse of (3) will be a nice solution. If you feel 02:16:463 is empty, then you can consider adding a note where (2) is, but not sure if this suits your style.
  2. 01:35:682 (1,2,1) - A questionable distance setting logic. For ordinary mapsets I'd also refrain from using inconsistency of 01:33:338 (4,1) for easy diffs, but it's kinda working nice. Just that the current cursor move feels like a small jump, so I'd be glad if the spacing could be reduced by a very little. Anyways back to the original story; the spacing of 01:35:682 (1,2) due to the symmetry, and is quite a large value. It is a logical setting since the transition between two object is larger than 01:35:213 (4,1). However the transition of 01:36:619 (2,1) is even larger than 01:35:682 (1,2) while having a lower distance value. I don't feel this setting was logical enough, thus suggesting to reduce the spacing between 01:35:682 (1,2) and have a larger spacing than that for 01:36:619 (2,1).
[Normal]
  1. 00:23:494 (2) - Symmetry fail. One grid up please.
  2. 00:36:619 (2,1) - The spacing was too large than expected imo. Hope you could find a way to reduce somehow.
  3. 00:45:057 (1,1) - I don't think this recovery time will be rankable for a normal difficulty.
  4. 01:24:432 (1,2) - 01:28:182 (1,2) - Not a big issue, but could be a symmetry. Want to hear your reason for the decision.
  5. 01:37:557 (1,2,3) - Personally I thought this spacing was a bit too much. Hope you can gather more opinion from the modders.
[Hard]
  1. 00:18:338 - 00:22:088 (5) - Questionable inconsistency, but fine enough if you are intending a variation.
  2. 00:27:713 - This strong beat being ignored felt a little distracting. Mind adding a note?
  3. 01:29:588 (5) - The music part is similar with 01:25:838 - 01:27:713 and just repeating all over would felt nice too. Variation is enough at 01:30:994 (2,3,4) imo.
  4. 01:57:596 (5,6) - Not an issue at all, but having a manual stack felt quite illogical for the hr users.
  5. 02:35:682 - True all of your spinners started here, but consider adding a note anyways to complete your symmetry as most other difficulties completed the symmetry pattern before the spinner. Your choice to decide after all what you value more.
[Insane]
  1. 00:42:947 (10) - I felt this note redundant from the song.
  2. 00:48:338 (6,7,8,9) - 01:55:838 (6,7,8,9) - 02:04:275 (3,4,5,6) - If you ask what I disliked the most of all difficulties, I'd like to point out these linear streams. Definitely not a bad usage since the linear flow goes towards the start of the next slider. My point is "Is the actual flow with the next slider really a lineal flow?" The sharp stream of 00:48:221 (5,6,7) was one thing that damaged the flow, and considering the transition to 01:56:307 (1) especially, a curvy stream would've fit better imo.
Awesome map. This is what an original beatmap is, and is showing how to use symmetries and copy-pastes.
Would've shoot tons of stars if I got plenty of it, but I'm out of kudosu now haha
Akiyama Mizuki

D33d wrote:

For artistic reasons, I've decided to go with a familiarly spacey set of combo colours... Or should I stick with my classic iNiS set? Decisions, people!
It'd be just fine to be iNiS map, this is really great map.

I find diff spread okay to go, but I think diffs should be renamed.
Easy -> Normal, Normal -> Hard, Hard -> Light Insane.
Easy contains many notes. It's fairly easy but still I find it kinda hard to be Easy diff.
Normal contains a few 1/3 and spacing is quite large.
And Hard diff contains spaced 1/4 which is just not appropriate for Hard diff.
Just in my opinion, I hope you consider about diff names once again.

Except this you can really get this bubbled now. Amazing work.
Yuii-
"With" should be removed from tags since it's already in the title xd
Topic Starter
D33d

bbj0920 wrote:

D33d wrote:

It'd be just fine to be iNiS map, this is really great map.

I find diff spread okay to go, but I think diffs should be renamed.
Easy -> Normal, Normal -> Hard, Hard -> Light Insane.
Easy contains many notes. It's fairly easy but still I find it kinda hard to be Easy diff.
Normal contains a few 1/3 and spacing is quite large.
And Hard diff contains spaced 1/4 which is just not appropriate for Hard diff.
Just in my opinion, I hope you consider about diff names once again.

Except this you can really get this bubbled now. Amazing work.
Respectfully, I disagree. Easy falls well within the spec and is full of recovery space. If I made it any easier, it'd barely follow the music and hence be exceedingly dull.

Normal is on the upper edge of normal, in the context of H/I being quite pacy. I don't want to neuter the lower diffs, as I'd then be left with a huge gap before insane--instead of adding a superfluous diff, I'd rather have a slightly wide spread. Having said that, I'll look into ways to soften normal anyway, but I'm holding my ground on this.

Hard only has spaced 1/4 after a slider, which does nothing to affect readability or playability. iNiS used this plenty, I've used it plenty and the follow circles create enough leniency that the gap is completely mitigated. However, the diff as a whole is a little intense and it may be easy enough to simplify. The old me would always make hards and insanes a lot easier, but I feel the need to keep up with what other mappers were doing.

I hope that doesn't sound too curt, but I have a very particular approach to spreads, as single diffs vary depending on the overall difficulty tier. Not trying to be nasty at all, especially when you complimented the set.

Sonnyc, thanks for the mod. I'll respond to it properly later, as I'm currently unsure whether or not I should go to sleep at 6am.

Yuii- wrote:

"With" should be removed from tags since it's already in the title xd
...Fancy that!
Topic Starter
D33d

Sonnyc wrote:

[Easy]
  1. 01:07:557 (3,1) - 02:15:057 (3,1) - I feel the spacing between these two objects is way too large for a beginner to smoothly move in 2 beats. Removing the reverse of (3) will be a nice solution. If you feel 02:16:463 is empty, then you can consider adding a note where (2) is, but not sure if this suits your style. I think there's ample time, especially with the gigantic circles. However, I added a circle just to be safe.
  2. 01:35:682 (1,2,1) - A questionable distance setting logic. For ordinary mapsets I'd also refrain from using inconsistency of 01:33:338 (4,1) for easy diffs, but it's kinda working nice. Just that the current cursor move feels like a small jump, so I'd be glad if the spacing could be reduced by a very little. Anyways back to the original story; the spacing of 01:35:682 (1,2) due to the symmetry, and is quite a large value. It is a logical setting since the transition between two object is larger than 01:35:213 (4,1). However the transition of 01:36:619 (2,1) is even larger than 01:35:682 (1,2) while having a lower distance value. I don't feel this setting was logical enough, thus suggesting to reduce the spacing between 01:35:682 (1,2) and have a larger spacing than that for 01:36:619 (2,1).
The slider jump was sort of accidental, as I was trying to focus on the blanketing. With the massive slider leniency, this doesn't affect playability in practice and the slight jump creates a build. The other jump was also deliberate--it's still very easy to hit, but you get a nice separation between combos and a bit more feel from the jump.
[Normal]
  1. 00:23:494 (2) - Symmetry fail. One grid up please. I am really sad that I missed this.
  2. 00:36:619 (2,1) - The spacing was too large than expected imo. Hope you could find a way to reduce somehow. I may rearrange objects, even if it means flipping the following combo to give me room to move the wave combo up. I don't think this jump's that bad though, as the wave combo's very easy to focus on. As such, the player may be able to come off 00:36:619 (2) - early and comfortably.
  3. 00:45:057 (1,1) - I don't think this recovery time will be rankable for a normal difficulty. If the slider being centred isn't enough, then I'll replace the spinner with objects. I was wary of this though.
  4. 01:24:432 (1,2) - 01:28:182 (1,2) - Not a big issue, but could be a symmetry. Want to hear your reason for the decision. I wanted them to descend a little and create more motion.
  5. 01:37:557 (1,2,3) - Personally I thought this spacing was a bit too much. Hope you can gather more opinion from the modders. Reducing it won't be a problem, but hopefully this won't be necessary. I wanted the intensity and there should be enough slider leniency.
[Hard]
  1. 00:18:338 - 00:22:088 (5) - Questionable inconsistency, but fine enough if you are intending a variation. Yeah, I wanted to end with variation as a flourish.
  2. 00:27:713 - This strong beat being ignored felt a little distracting. Mind adding a note? In order to teach the player important rhythms, I'm following the synth line. I also think it just feels more engaging this way.
  3. 01:29:588 (5) - The music part is similar with 01:25:838 - 01:27:713 and just repeating all over would felt nice too. Variation is enough at 01:30:994 (2,3,4) imo. I used a triple here to smoothen the flow to 1/2. However, I'll use two doubles instead.
  4. 01:57:596 (5,6) - Not an issue at all, but having a manual stack felt quite illogical for the hr users. I'll get back to you on this. Normal stacking overlapped the sliderend.
  5. 02:35:682 - True all of your spinners started here, but consider adding a note anyways to complete your symmetry as most other difficulties completed the symmetry pattern before the spinner. Your choice to decide after all what you value more. My priority is more on balanced patterns than outright symmetry. I can't add a note on the downbeat and simply making the current pattern symmetrical would result in a boring straight line.
[Insane]
  1. 00:42:947 (10) - I felt this note redundant from the song. I had overmapped on a cymbal to even it out--however, just that extra circle made the stream feel like crap, so thanks for having me remove it.
  2. 00:48:338 (6,7,8,9) - 01:55:838 (6,7,8,9) - 02:04:275 (3,4,5,6) - If you ask what I disliked the most of all difficulties, I'd like to point out these linear streams. Definitely not a bad usage since the linear flow goes towards the start of the next slider. My point is "Is the actual flow with the next slider really a lineal flow?" The sharp stream of 00:48:221 (5,6,7) was one thing that damaged the flow, and considering the transition to 01:56:307 (1) especially, a curvy stream would've fit better imo. I'll be honest: the streams are straight because I'd just begun to map and was struggling to get into it. The angles made it possible to make tidy streams with grid3. Grid3! I do like the directional changes, even into the arcs, as they do something a bit different with the flow and visuals. This might be changed in the future, but there's a certain charm that I can't ignore now.
Awesome map. This is what an original beatmap is, and is showing how to use symmetries and copy-pastes.
Would've shoot tons of stars if I got plenty of it, but I'm out of kudosu now haha
Great mod. I'll try and mod yours as well, but sorry in advance if I can't. Best of luck with your set!
Upskirt
D33D Hype!!!
Sieg
that hitsounding */me faints*
Myxo
[Insane]

1. 00:35:447 (7) - I would suggest to delete this note. You have always emphasized the blue ticks before, for example 00:27:244 (2,3) - , and even afterwards with 00:42:596 (7,8,9) -. I am not sure if the spacing to the next object would be too low when just deleting the circle, so maybe you want to adjust the pattern a bit if you apply it.
  2. 00:39:432 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) - I get the intension of increasing density here, but it still seems weird to have such a repetetive rhythm suddenly (while the previous rhythms followed the main instrument so well). I think a good compromise would be to Ctrl+G these 00:40:369 (5,6) - rhythm-wise, so you would get this: http://puu.sh/kEct1/cb133b731c.jpg It would keep your intention (if I am not wrong), but follow the instrument better.
  3. 00:54:432 (1,2) - I normally wouldn't mention this and I feel kinda stupid for mentioning it too, but since your map is otherwise so clean the overlaps with previous circles kinda bothered me here. Unlike some other patterns, these are noticable ingame, especially the one with 00:54:197 (8) - . Maybe you could stack the tail of (2) with that circle and adjust the symmetry? http://puu.sh/kEcIn/3517cee742.jpg
[Normal]

1. 00:39:432 (1,2,1,2,3) - It feels weird that you are suddenly mapping those blue ticks here, while you simplified the rhythms before (for example 00:36:619 (2) -)
Yep, that's all! Amazing job :)
Topic Starter
D33d

Sieg wrote:

that hitsounding */me faints*
Just wanted to add that this song is the perfect canvas for those. They were nearly the funnest part.
Mao
This is so great <3 Take my stars.
Topic Starter
D33d

Desperate-kun wrote:

[Insane]

1. 00:35:447 (7) - I would suggest to delete this note. You have always emphasized the blue ticks before, for example 00:27:244 (2,3) - , and even afterwards with 00:42:596 (7,8,9) -. I am not sure if the spacing to the next object would be too low when just deleting the circle, so maybe you want to adjust the pattern a bit if you apply it. I agree and I wanted to change this earlier, but I wasn't too sure what I'd do. As it turns out, I only needed to move the waves down. I might redo the other patterns into something more interesting as well.
  2. 00:39:432 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) - I get the intension of increasing density here, but it still seems weird to have such a repetetive rhythm suddenly (while the previous rhythms followed the main instrument so well). I think a good compromise would be to Ctrl+G these 00:40:369 (5,6) - rhythm-wise, so you would get this: http://puu.sh/kEct1/cb133b731c.jpg It would keep your intention (if I am not wrong), but follow the instrument better. I've been considering ways to make this section more interesting as well. I don't want to touch it yet, as it currently serves as a functional build, but I'll drop in something different if I get ideas.
  3. 00:54:432 (1,2) - I normally wouldn't mention this and I feel kinda stupid for mentioning it too, but since your map is otherwise so clean the overlaps with previous circles kinda bothered me here. Unlike some other patterns, these are noticable ingame, especially the one with 00:54:197 (8) - . Maybe you could stack the tail of (2) with that circle and adjust the symmetry? http://puu.sh/kEcIn/3517cee742.jpg This is an awkward dilemma, as I don't want to lose the pentagon star or the orbital slider blanket. I might just come up with a different jump pattern, but I'm not worrying too much.
[Normal]

1. 00:39:432 (1,2,1,2,3) - It feels weird that you are suddenly mapping those blue ticks here, while you simplified the rhythms before (for example 00:36:619 (2) -) I'm using the variance and suddenness to create a build, so I'm gonna keep this one for now.
Yep, that's all! Amazing job :)
Thank you very much! The show marches on.
Irreversible
Did some IRC modding. Let's push this masterpiece forward!

Bubbled~
Yuii-
xd
meii18
wait alacat's version is still qualified https://osu.ppy.sh/s/360680.You are not allowed to qualify two songs which are same in the same week.Just saying =w=)
Yuii-
Ammm... i fucked up then. Sorry for that, didn't check it at all :(
Hula
rip drain 8)
Topic Starter
D33d

ByBy13 wrote:

wait alacat's version is still qualified https://osu.ppy.sh/s/360680.You are not allowed to qualify two songs which are same in the same week.Just saying =w=)
That's really a thing? Not that it would matter anyway--peppy seemed really keen for me to get this ranked, so I suppose I'll either have to wait or he'll end up twisting someone's arm in true peppy fashion. I'm just glad it's sorted now, but knowing me, I'll probably spot a load of hitsound errors I wish I could change.
Natsu

D33d wrote:

ByBy13 wrote:

That's really a thing? Not that it would matter anyway--peppy seemed really keen for me to get this ranked, so I suppose I'll either have to wait or he'll end up twisting someone's arm in true peppy fashion. I'm just glad it's sorted now, but knowing me, I'll probably spot a load of hitsound errors I wish I could change.
yeah is a hard rule, I don't think exceptions should be allowed, since other people got their maps DQ before because this.
Yuii-
Request a DQ if possible, please.

I think there should be a "rule" for this contest, though. There are 3/4 songs to be mapped and a lot of people are working on them. If we have to wait 2 weeks even if the mapset is ready to go will be quite sad.

Again; sorry for overlooking at that.
Topic Starter
D33d

Natsu wrote:

D33d wrote:

yeah is a hard rule, I don't think exceptions should be allowed, since other people got their maps DQ before because this.
...The entire point of this is that peppy's on the lookout for ranked maps. What you're suggesting would be impossible to enforce under the circumstances and would completely defeat the purpose of this. Unless peppy decides to bundle an unranked set, which just isn't gonna happen. I do not want to become a victim of red tape, when the entire point is that mappers are competing over the same songs.

Thanks to everyone for the mega-fast modding--though the suddenness is a bit scary. If this set's DQed, then I'll be doing whatever's absolutely necessary to improve it. And thanks to peppy and cYsmix for making this initial stint possible!
Topic Starter
D33d
Wait a minute. The countdown's still broken in hard. I don't know how this'd be dealt with, but if it requires a DQ, I'd much rather be able to remove such a glaring error before a quick recheck.
Yuii-

D33d wrote:

Wait a minute. The countdown's still broken in hard. I don't know how this'd be dealt with, but if it requires a DQ, I'd much rather be able to remove such a glaring error before a quick recheck.
Tell any QAT you want your map to be DQ'd in order to fix some things. You only have 12 hours after the map has gotten Qualified.
Topic Starter
D33d

Yuii- wrote:

D33d wrote:

Tell any QAT you want your map to be DQ'd in order to fix some things. You only have 12 hours after the map has gotten Qualified.
That's fine, thank you. I'll see if I can get it sorted--though I get the feeling that someone's gonna find some technicality to DQ this somewhere within the week anyway. As expected, some stray hitsounds are bothering me too, though they're hardly much of a concern. If this actually gets speedranked, my mind will be officially blown.
Charles445
Played the insane, spacing was pretty hard to read.

It relies a bunch on perceiving objects "close" to each other, like, a grid box away in order to denote 1/4, but the 1/2 spacing isn't that much bigger at parts.
Some parts that I found straining to read (as in had to rely on approach circles) were 00:27:244 (2,3) - , 01:05:682 (1,2,3) -, 01:54:432 (1,2) -, 02:04:744 (7,8) - , as far as 1/2 1/4 goes

00:59:119 (4,5) - I was caught by surprise at the circle jump here. I wasn't expecting circle to other objects to deviate from 1/2. Circle to something is a much harder motion than slider to something!

01:41:775 (3,4,5,6,1) - I panicked REALLY hard here. The OD is 8.5 so there is little room for error as far as mistaking the rhythm goes, and the 1/3 slider started to imply that whatever was coming up might not be 1/4. But, it was a stack? Is it a double on 1/3 or 1/4? What's it going to be? Can I look at the approach circles?
That's the sort of questions a player asks themselves over the course of half a second...

As for other stuff, 00:17:869 (2,3,4) - The angle of the 4 is a bit weird coming from the 3. I expected the slider to sorta go with the movement or be a simple angle change, but it is instead creating like, a multiple bend movement... http://puu.sh/kESEn/088bafd145.jpg
I don't think that sort of movement happens anywhere else in the map.
ErunamoJAZZ
lol, yuii, you need to be more careful :P

due BN rules ("Do not qualify the songs which already have another beatmap in the Qualified section."), Im 101% sure this will be DQ soon, but dont worry about the time, since this is a bundled competition, time is not a very relevant factor, but be amazing, yes.

Good luck :3
Charles445
Wouldn't surprise me if mapping w/ rewards is allowed to bypass the delay in order to promote more participation.
Topic Starter
D33d
Hey Charles, thanks for dropping some input. I'll reply to the your points explaining why I've done certain things and why I think an Insane-level player would be able to pick up on the subtleties in the map.

Charles445 wrote:

Played the insane, spacing was pretty hard to read.

It relies a bunch on perceiving objects "close" to each other, like, a grid box away in order to denote 1/4, but the 1/2 spacing isn't that much bigger at parts.
Some parts that I found straining to read (as in had to rely on approach circles) were 00:27:244 (2,3) - , 01:05:682 (1,2,3) -, 01:54:432 (1,2) -, 02:04:744 (7,8) - , as far as 1/2 1/4 goes While I'd be inclined to maybe reduce the 1/4 a little at the start, there are plenty of contextual cues such as the repeated rhythm in the music, repeated sliders for visual guidance, streams going into spacing and just good old reading... Plus, the spacing differs a fair bit as it is. Like, a lot. I was only really sketchy about that pickup into the last chorus, but the start of the copypaste makes it fairly obvious where the pattern will resolve.

00:59:119 (4,5) - I was caught by surprise at the circle jump here. I wasn't expecting circle to other objects to deviate from 1/2. Circle to something is a much harder motion than slider to something! The difference in spacing's pretty clear here and, along with reading, I don't think this is a problem that warrants destroying a pattern if I do need to alter the map.

01:41:775 (3,4,5,6,1) - I panicked REALLY hard here. The OD is 8.5 so there is little room for error as far as mistaking the rhythm goes, and the 1/3 slider started to imply that whatever was coming up might not be 1/4. But, it was a stack? Is it a double on 1/3 or 1/4? What's it going to be? Can I look at the approach circles?
That's the sort of questions a player asks themselves over the course of half a second... This is a pretty intense section in the music, so I deliberately made it flow in a way that should make the player focus more. There's no real getting around the sudden triplet's awkwardness, but the spacing of the jump and the obvious spacing increase from 1/4 make this about as fair as is physically possible. Moreover, the the slider plays the entire triplet pattern for the player, which gives ample time to anticipate the following slider--easily enough time for an insane-level player to be able to read without much second-guessing. I don't think there's anything wrong with challenging the player's reading a little bit, as long as it's fair and there's time to read circles, which I fully believe is the case with almost all of the map.

As for other stuff, 00:17:869 (2,3,4) - The angle of the 4 is a bit weird coming from the 3. I expected the slider to sorta go with the movement or be a simple angle change, but it is instead creating like, a multiple bend movement... http://puu.sh/kESEn/088bafd145.jpg
I don't think that sort of movement happens anywhere else in the map. I did this to create a slight emphasis when everything's nice and easy to read--there's' a little bounce in the music. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't really anything difficult about the flow here. As far as it being a unique part of the map, the song's feel is completely different here and I've reflected that in the whole section.
That should cover everything--if there's anything that warrants a DQ that's seriously broken, then I'll consider the above in addition and maybe consider some other readability things, as I know of other places which could possibly benefit.

Also, I was gonna try and bug somebody for a quick DQ/recheck, but my set was instaqualified while I was doing other work. Then I went to sleep thinking I'd still have time after I woke up. D'oh... Are ninja-edits still a thing? I'm assuming that a countdown change is fair game for this.

Edit: I've considered the above while preparing my map to be qualified again and while I haven't applied these particular suggestions, I have taken steps to make small adjustments to the readability and flow where I deemed it necessary. Since I was able to take useful information from your mod, I'd give you kudosu if I could.
Myxo
The countdown is broken in Hard, so I'm taking this down.
Good luck!
Mao
How is it going to be handeled now? Shall we wait the week or not :/
Topic Starter
D33d

Mao wrote:

How is it going to be handeled now? Shall we wait the week or not :/
That might bother peppy if it interferes with his plans for the set or the contest as a whole. Since he's had such an interest in this it, it'll be well worth asking him in #lounge if you can approach him there.

I'd say to just go for it, but... I'm biased. :D I'm currently making a few small changes, which is mainly overlaps and a couple if hitsounds.. If you fancy working with Desperate and me to make sure this is road-ready again, please PM me.
show more