forum

Fall 2015 Anime First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
xxdeathx
Way behind on first episodes (damn it) because I was busy this weekend...

Noragami - I made the mistake of watching this episode including the babysitting part at 3 AM in the morning, it's like straight out of the horror game Five Nights at Freddy's. Nevertheless, solid start to the second season of a great show.

One Punch Man - so I heard this was hyped manga or something. For some reason the vaccine man and steroid-overdosed brother looked an awful lot like dragon ball character and titan, respectively.

Comet Lucifer - Very interesting setting and solid music, especially the opening song. I like this one so far. I'm not sure how much of a mecha anime it'll be, hope not too much because I feel it can do so much more without mechas. The loli-appearing-in-his-arms thing was kind of cliche, but overall I'm hooked on this show and its similarities to Castle in the Sky.

The Asterisk War - I've seen enough magic school harem LN adaptations to know where this is going and pretty much every cliche it will have pulled by the end of the first episode, but for some reason I noticed a fair amount of hype behind this one. So far it's just appeared to be a little above average for its genre because it has higher quality and for the first time the lead female character has several interesting things about her, especially with that handkerchief. I guess it's also been a while since I've seen a good or decent LN adaptation in a futuristic setting (recently the ones that stood out to me for being really good such as Blade Dance were set in an older era).
edit: oh, hype because it's a fairly big production by LN adaptation standards. A-1 Pictures, big name voice actors, etc. I'll take that.
Green Platinum

xxdeathx wrote:

I've seen enough magic school harem LN adaptations to know where this is going and pretty much every cliche it will have pulled by the end of the first episode
And still gives it blue. Ayyy.
xxdeathx
Admittedly I have a soft spot for this genre if it's not entirely horrible or generic. I did say it was a bit better than others, and I'd have fun watching it. Not nearly the same impression as prison school or gangsta to deserve red. Actually, as it stands I'd pick this over one punch man if I had to.
Starfall9908
Diabolik Lovers More Blood: I didn't know it was getting a second season until recently. This is the second game by Otomate to get a second season after Hakuouki. The voice acting is awesome as always. But I totally forogt the reason why I disliked this anime. Being haunted by Laito and hear him say B*tch-chan o Hearing Ayato saying Chichinashi seriously pisses me off. I'm only here because Kon-chan voice acts Subaru and Tori-san voice acts Shuu and Kimura Ryouhei voice acts Kou.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: I seriously hate ecchi. Yet, I'm thinking of giving it a try because I watched the trailer and thought that the ecchi was just there. Well I'll deal with this for now since the characters are pretty intresting in this anime (I hope this doesn't end up like Kuusen Madoushi though)

Haikyuu!! Second season: First episode was holy Watching Kageyama and Hinata jump infront of Shiratorizawa's bus was fun. Beautiful art as always ;u; I wonder what will happen now.

Heavy Object: Seems nice so far. The MC kind of sucks but I think I'll deal with him. The actions and the plot in this anime that I sw during the first episode was pretty good.

K: Return of Kings: This is the anime with best grafics ever. Anime like No Game No Life and Sword art online can't reach this level of animation. The quality is Holy, the plot is holy, the art is holy, the characters are holy and the voice acting is holy too. I really loved the first season and the movie. The battle scense are really beautiful and you'll just want to re-watch the anime a binch of times. This anime will reach the top 3 anime of the season.

Lance N' Masques: The plot is really nice. The art and the quality wasn't what I expected from such a generation but since the plot and the characters aren't that bad, I think think I'll give it a try.

Noragami Aragoto: Another anime that is on my top 3 list. The quality is good and Yato is the same nice and awesome Yato as always. This season will mostly focus on the Bishamon arc from the manga (so I know what will happen lol) but I look forward to see how this will be animated.

One Punch Man: Watching a bro with no hair calling himself a hero is hilarious. But It's nice to see something like this. This anime was recommended by a friend so I dubt that I'll be disappointed
Kyonko Hizara
Yuru Yuri San Hai!: It already feels inferior compared to the other 2 seasons. I'm going to keep watching since I watched the others and I have hopes it will pick up a little.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
JK Meshi!: I usually only find History funny in satire and parodies, giving a bunch of straight facts with a bad retelling, isn't fun to watch. Not to mention that this show has nothing else going for it.

Osomatsu-san: Combining jokes from beyond my time period with forced shows that have a terrible lead up and you have a terrible show. Combine that with horrible animation and you get a waste of time. The only thing that I could laugh at was the parodies, but I think that was because I was so bored, that I would almost any parody joke.

Peeping Life TV: Season 1?? Another boring dialogue show with horrifying and laggy CG. I stopped at 5min, but I honestly should have stopped as soon as I saw the op.

Yuru Yuri San☆Hai!: After such horrible shows, it is nice to have a sequel you can rely on. Same yuri as before.
Navizel
Has anyone seen the new Utawarerumono? Wondering if I can watch it without having to watch the prequel. I have played the visual novel though.

Noragami Aragoto - I think the only thing I can remember from the last season is the blonde guy being annoying as fuck which dragged the show down. Anyway, nothing really stands out in this sequel yet. Average start.
Green Platinum

Navizel wrote:

Has anyone seen the new Utawarerumono? Wondering if I can watch it without having to watch the prequel. I have played the visual novel though.
Yes you can

Season is definitely competing for worst season on record.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Kowabon: Maybe frame rate is really getting to me, but more low budget horror shows with choppy frames is definitely not for me.

High School Star Musical: Not a fan of boy bands, but overall not a terrible show, just nothing impressive. 2 performances in the first ep, both sadly reaked of low animation budget (1st had a stagnant background and the 2nd mostly consisted of stills). There seems to be some drama going on that might be interesting, but nothing really comedic about this show. On top of that, the normal backgrounds for the show were also all stills, making everything feel so stagnant and boring. Oh well, just another dropped series.
Navizel
Hackadoll the Animation - Yet another low quality short with unfunny jokes.

Kagewani - A longer and worse version of Yami Shibai.

Itoshi no Muco - Yet another low quality but somewhat longer short with unfunny jokes.

Owarimonogatari - Well, it's Monogatari. It's also Shaft.

Haikyuu!! S2 - It's finally back. One of the few sports anime I enjoy. It's been a long time since I last saw it but I felt like there's a change in quality. Not sure though. Anyway, it's still good.
Green Platinum

Navizel wrote:

This doesn't say anything to me.
Shaft made Mekakucity actors so their presence doesn't make it perfect.
And -monogatari is so stale now with it's crappy say nothing in 2 paragraphs dialogue and it's directionless arcs that seem plucked at random only seem to be getting worse.
DakeDekaane
Noragami Aragoto: Nothing special, better animation than what I recall from previous season. Characters doesn't seem to have a heavy change, so that's a plus.

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen: This just called my attention due the "fame" the VN has (and I haven't read yet). Liked the first episode so far, but I can't really mark it as green, as it didn't grew that much on me, but I'll keep watching this.

Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou: Eh, for a moment I thought it was going to be similar to the other short/comedy series, but I find this really forced, bleh.

One Punch Man: We have our overpowered guy, now you'll say, what does it make him different from the other overpowered MCs? He is aware that. Nice animation. Gives me good vibes.
Shurelia

Green Platinum wrote:

Shurelia wrote:

A very few interesting shows for me on this Fall Anime since i'm not a fans of mecha and stupid hare stuffs.
Like what?
Probably only going to take a peek on Noragami and One Punch Man, the rest i still don't know.
Starfall9908
High school Star Musical: Another Boy idol anime tingy. I've been waiting for one after Shounen Hollywood ended. The voice actors there was all voice actors that I'm familiar with (Except for Arthur Lounsbery which I dind't know until they announced the cast of the anime) I think I can really expect something from this.
Navizel

Green Platinum wrote:

Navizel wrote:

This doesn't say anything to me.
Shaft made Mekakucity actors so their presence doesn't make it perfect.
And -monogatari is so stale now with it's crappy say nothing in 2 paragraphs dialogue and it's directionless arcs that seem plucked at random only seem to be getting worse.
For you. For me, it's still good as ever.
Green Platinum
So you can speak for the merits of the series then? Season 1 was quirky but the rest just indicates that it is satisfied with just that.
Navizel
If it's not broken, don't fix it. And to be honest, I liked Monogatari Series: Second Season more than Bakemonogatari which means at least for me, the series has improved.
Raiken-
For now I only started One Punch Man, it was a pretty good and funny anime so far. Also the main protagonist's derpy face tho.

Planning to watch all of the new animes later, right after I got some quota to download.
DakeDekaane
Yuru Yuri San☆Hai!: No Akkari~n, No TOSHINOU KYOUKOOOOOOO! (there was a try, but not as lively as I remember), no delusional Chinatsu, no catchy moeblob OP and ED themes, just what happened to my Yuru Yuri :(
Trosk-
I'm so hyped for Noragami. For the others I'm still undecided to see them while airing, probably I'll see some in the future, but not now.
Shinobi
Pretty hyped for the next episode of Haiykuu! and Rakudai kishi but other than that i'm really hoping the second season of Owari No Seraph is good!

Shows i'll be watching to check them out are : Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha Burst, Heavy Object, Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru and One Punch man.

After writing this I realised the second season of World Trigger is starting this weekend HYPE
Green Platinum
Can we just make the Kekkai Sensen finale the anime of the season? Best thing that has aired by miles.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai: Given my care for the series, I decided it is best to just watch the raw version. All in all it didn't disappoint, a solidly done action scene, and most of the character interactions are there. I'll wait for the subs before discussing the adpatation, but I will have to say the anime is going really fast, covering about half of volume 1 in 1 ep. Also, the raws I saw were incredibly noisy. I hope those are just the raws, but if that is the case, this is sadly not very good on Silver Link's part.
Navizel
Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou - Are they not done with this yet? Seriously.

Kindaichi Case Files R 2 - Sillier delivery than last season. But it's a murder mystery and it's Kindaichi so that's why it's a blue I guess.. I might drop it when I get bored with it.

Yuru Yuri San☆Hai - More Yuru Yuri = more fun. I'm happy to see them again. Surprised Akari isn't invisible in this episode.

One Punch Man - Pretty fun series. Overpowered protagonist but not like the other shitty self-insert MCs.

Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan - Yet another low quality short with unfunny jokes. Geez, I wonder how many times I'll use this for this season.

Osomatsu-san - Not a short anime but still unfunny. Ugh. The start was a turn off. The rest is a turn off.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - Generic light novel trash plus a protagonist with Yo-shit-sugu as VA.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Hey this is the same fucking thing what the fuck. Generic boy meets tsundere girl in underwear, boy is a sword user while girl is a fire user, and of course, both are harem. TOTALLY ORIGINAL. What a shitty season.
Lanturn
I haven't found anything that great this season. I went and watched a bunch of shows and like 2-3 of them were alright.

So far the only thing I'm looking forward to is Utawarerumono mainly because it's my RPG fantasy show that I want to watch each season. A little bit of bias but whatever, I still feel like it's the best show this season from what I've seen.

Comet Lucifer wasn't that bad, cool fight at the end. I'll try to watch the next episode or two.

Asterisk and Rakudai, both were average, I think Rakudai was slightly better, but nothing special. Seriously I wonder how many more High school magic shows they can make before they run out of ideas.. wait.. They already did.

Lance and Lolis was pointless and really just meh.

Attack on High School Titans was just dumb. No thanks.

One Punch Man was average to me. Like really. Maybe my expectations were just too high or something, but it definitely wasn't as good as I was expecting. Sorry, I'm really not aboard this hype train.

Hackadol, Komori, Kagewani, hot springs girl, all nope.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru and Tantei Team KZ weren't horrible. I might watch one or two more eps to see what mysteries they show. Tantei Team had nothing so I'll probably watch one more episode before deciding

Kings Yeah, I shouldn't be rating this, but the animation gave me a headache. I had to stop a few minutes in during the fight scenes, and then found out this was a sequel... so I didn't bother finishing the episode.

All in all, I'd definitely have to say from what I've seen that this is easily the worst anime season we've had for awhile. Almost all of the shows were bad or mediocre for first impressions, and only a few of them might actually be good.

Fall 2015 Worst Season in a long time. In fact, it might be the worst one of all time!
The only thing good about this season is some sequels, that's about it. I guess I can catch up on my old shows and some games.

So is there anything on this list that I missed and should try watching and isn't a sequel? Please help ;-;
Green Platinum
I really can really only say Young Black Jack
But that is assuming the first episode is not all that representative of the whole series. While I'd like episodes like the oVA series I doubt that will happen.
Lanturn

Green Platinum wrote:

I really can really only say Young Black Jack
But that is assuming the first episode is not all that representative of the whole series. While I'd like episodes like the oVA series I doubt that will happen.
That was actually a pretty good first episode. I'm not sure about the OVA series, but I'll probably watch them if this show holds out.
Green Platinum
The first ep was good in the fact it captures the essence of what Black Jack is all about. As a fan or the series I already know this and would prefer a more interesting story.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hidan no Aria AA: First off, this anime was executed a lot better than the original series's anime, not that it was very hard. Overall, a decent start to the spinoff with passable animation everywhere. Admittedly they changed all of the action to have as little environmental effect as possible. On story line side, welll..... they changed a lot..... Not sure if for better or worse. (In the manga, she at least took the "item" with her when she fell). Oh well, if I don't treat this as an adaptation, I can live with it.

On a side note, why didn't they let Reki just stun the driver, could have easily bounced the bullet through the window xD

Fushigi na Somera-chan: Another short with rushed jokes, bad animation, and randomness.
Green Platinum
I think Somera-chan is supposed to be the successor to Ai Mai Mi

I don't see what you are talking about Bliss with Hidan no Aria. That opening fight was horrible.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

Green Platinum wrote:

I think Somera-chan is supposed to be the successor to Ai Mai Mi

I don't see what you are talking about Bliss with Hidan no Aria. That opening fight was horrible.
They cheaped out on the basically all the backgrounds, but they did at least show the flipping animations. I won't say it is great, but it was passable to watch. Also given what I have to choose from this season, my standards have dropped a fair bit. Just going to recheck and update after.

Edit: Guess I need to clarify more. The 1st fight on the bridge, I can agree that is lackluster. The fight on the ship, besides the ugly backgrounds, was passable (admittedly getting over the backgrounds is a different challenge)
Green Platinum
I guess that is true.
UnderminE
Owarimonogatari: It finally begins <3 So excited to see Finale Season getting animated.
Green Platinum

UnderminE wrote:

Owarimonogatari: It finally begins <3 So excited to see Finale Season getting animated.
So it is the finale? They better not start doing anime original series'

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru: There might actually be something in this, inductive reasoning is generally a bad way (albeit dramatic) of doing mysteries though.

Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai: This is going to be popular and get a season 2 isn't it.

Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider: Could be an extreme hit or miss
Kyonko Hizara
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru: I can't tell yet what this series is suppose to be about. I'll give it a couple more episodes since the concept in interesting.
Rio-
K: Return of Kings - "Holy Shit dat' graphic-overload in the first 8min" is my first thought about its first episode... i expect nothing less tbh because if I compared the graphics from the first season which aired 2 years ago and this, it doesn't really have any difference... But still, I can't really understand the story for now. So I'll think about if i should continue to watch or not (the first season is good tbh)

One Punch Man - Overpowered but I like him, and nice graphics... This kinda convinces me to read the manga tbh.

I'm still confused about what I should watch next this season, so i might update my list a little bit late
UnderminE

Green Platinum wrote:

UnderminE wrote:

So it is the finale? They better not start doing anime original series'
Nah, there won't be anything else to animate, even as original. It might look like all this Monogatari stuff took so long like an endless milking, but actually they even shortened the whole series in some way. There are 3 large books (First, Second and Finale Season) which have many arcs: in total of 23 arcs. They adapted 16 arcs so far which were very well made. They didn't rush all the seasons and took their time to earn a bunch of money.

Anyway afaik only 6 arcs left, since Kizumonogatari arc will be a movie by itself. Owarimonogatari will include 3 arcs I guess, 1 arc is already finished with the very first episode. We'll see what happens with the last 4.

Though, if the author himself wants to milk this by adding another arc to it, then yeah this series will turn into a shit-milking tour like Steins; Gate.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Sorry for the long wait, the chart in the op has been updated. I had to fix a few of the scripts, but I still want to find a better way to update the op (liveview would be nice). Luckily, it only takes like 2-3min of work to update the op, so it is a lot easier than earlier setups.
xxdeathx
Between work, classes, career fair, company info sessions, and homework I haven't had any anime or sleep this whole week. Trying to catch up now.

Attack on Titan Junior High - Pretty decent since it has the parody factor of a hugely popular show going for it and knows which parts of the original show were funny/memey and to take advantage of them. The parodied opening was also a nice touch, wondering if anybody's speedranking it right now.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight - I'm watching this because Silver Link has never let me down, but 2 min in and it's already screaming generic magic school harem LN adaptation with literally every trick in the book. School for students with abilities to use recreational weapons. Some yearly fighting contest between all the students coming up that the anime won't reach and that the protagonist absolutely has to win for reasons yet to be disclosed. Walking in on tsundere ojou sama redhead princess changing and her reaction. You know as soon as they say the protagonist is the "worst" in the school that he has something special that lets him beat the high ranked princess. Actually I wonder if this show's even trying, huh. It's like a fusion of The Irregular at Magic High School, Blade Dance, Absolute Duo, Machine Doll, Infinite Stratos with nothing at all to stand out from them. Hah I'm probably gonna continue watching this unless I don't have time.

The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst - There's something oddly satisfying about a show you like returning for a second season after being gone for a season or year. Even if it keeps the chibi censors and H scene cutting.
Green Platinum
Shomin Sample: This premise is new Kappa. The fact that this is based on a light novel and not a porn game is probably the most painful fact to swallow.

Gochuumon: Anyone else wish this was Ikoku Meiro no Croisée instead? People here probably haven't seen it though.
show more