posted
Total Posts
show more
Andrea

Sakura wrote:

They are delicious tho
I agree with this.
D33d
RJ, you ought to remove the entry on arcs, because it has the potential to confuse new mappers about the right way to make the things.
Xyrene
Guys, so I'm new to mapping and I seriously can NOT get slider symmetry in. It always seems to me that eventhough the starting point and end point are symmetrical about the Y-axis, the slider ITSELF doesn't seem to be quite symmetrical.

I.E. head of slider is slightly lower than tail of slider, like so:

How does one get about perfect slider symmetry? Also, a few tips on basic slider and map design please!
D33d

HotogiShirayuki wrote:

Guys, so I'm new to mapping and I seriously can NOT get slider symmetry in. It always seems to me that eventhough the starting point and end point are symmetrical about the Y-axis, the slider ITSELF doesn't seem to be quite symmetrical.

How does one get about perfect slider symmetry? Also, a few tips on basic slider and map design please!
p/1891278

Basically, hold shift and drag the midpoint down until the end snaps properly. That, or move the midpoint down and sideways, until the end snaps. You can also make the grid smaller if you need to.

For general map design, string together simple patterns and make them look and feel steady. It's better to have simple, functional patterns which build into more complicated things, than a convoluted mess of patterns which either don't fit together or are all so flashy that nothing really stands out.

For sliders, you can make loads and loads of nice patterns out of arcs alone, so I'd use them more often. Use linear sliders if you want, but using too many becomes boring. Things like waves and slider art tend to be less necessary, but small waves can help the flow of things if you have the patience to make them properly.
Xyrene

D33d wrote:

HotogiShirayuki wrote:

p/1891278

Basically, hold shift and drag the midpoint down until the end snaps properly. That, or move the midpoint down and sideways, until the end snaps. You can also make the grid smaller if you need to.

For general map design, string together simple patterns and make them look and feel steady. It's better to have simple, functional patterns which build into more complicated things, than a convoluted mess of patterns which either don't fit together or are all so flashy that nothing really stands out.

For sliders, you can make loads and loads of nice patterns out of arcs alone, so I'd use them more often. Use linear sliders if you want, but using too many becomes boring. Things like waves and slider art tend to be less necessary, but small waves can help the flow of things if you have the patience to make them properly.
Worked like a charm! But does this affect the slider in any way? i.e. make it shorter?
D33d

HotogiShirayuki wrote:

Worked like a charm! But does this affect the slider in any way? i.e. make it shorter?
No. It'll only make it flatter.

Ladies and gentlemen: your HAT has brought with him...

A hat!

RJ was also kind enough to give me a saxophone.

Silverboxer
D33d
Wow, you even got the ticks to land on sharp turns. Very nice.
Hard
I've tried myself with sliderart, but failed. I wanted to make a rose for this map:

t/133163 (Insane)

In the end it looked like this:

Maybe I should ask for help, or make something else instead... :(
Deventious
Great guide, thank you very much.
D33d
I'm just firing this one off for the sake of it, but have some pretty blanketing from deep within the vault of my most serious mapping.

quaternary
D33d
Since an editor bug reverts really wide arcs to beziers, I think it'd be useful to refresh people on how to construct bezier arcs of different angles. I've had to use huge beziers myself, so I was certainly flung back into the thick of it.

Four points:

Five points:

Six points:

Seven points:

There's certainly enough about arc construction in general, but since this is a specific use case of really wide beziers, I wanted to show how these really wide beziers ought to look in case anybody gets confused by the nodes and all. Six-points have always been a bitch for me, so having it illustrated like this ought to help others who'd need it.
[Luanny]
Really proud of my first sliderart ever

The end is a bit weird but that's the closer I could get to perfection :( I'm still proud
uchihayamiko
Bear
Helped me make a question mark slider
quaternary

[Luanny] wrote:

Really proud of my first sliderart ever
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/938256

The end is a bit weird but that's the closer I could get to perfection :( I'm still proud
I actually like the end a lot :D

uchihayamiko wrote:

is this counted as success? :P http://www.mediafire.com/view/5t39dzhv6d5v69s/screenshot038.jpg
Looks a little stretched-out to me - try using a spinner as a guide to make it rounder.

Bear wrote:

Helped me make a question mark slider
Try this sort of shape: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/959424

And now for some art of my own
D33d
Funny that somebody would mention question marks, after I decided to challenge myself. Making them wasn't too hard after figuring out the orientation of the points--I started with a six-point arc, then ended with half of a larger wave and nudged points around.

Avena
The loops have faces.

"Sup bro!"
D33d

Priti wrote:

The loops have faces.

"Sup bro!"
Funny that that's one of the bad loops!
quaternary
I'm somewhat proud of this one :D

I made some bacon for my Easy diff
Bl4ckk
My mind is getting melted.
What do I have to do if I want a slider faster than another one?
I have two sliders with the same lenght, and I want to make the second faster...
Or I have a veeeeery small slider and I want to make it veeeery slow... What do I have to do? T.T
D33d
You really shouldn't make sliders misleading like that, but scroll to the slider's start, press Ctrl+Shift+P and then open the timing panel to change the slider's speed.
Saturnalize
Ayesha Altugle
got bored

Charo
i have like,no sort of inspiration for these kind of yummy slider patterns. ;w;
Ayesha Altugle

SapphireAngel wrote:

i have like,no sort of inspiration for these kind of yummy slider patterns. ;w;
practice it so you can develop your inspiration in that just like me
Fatih120
Thanks, these are awesome! :)
Redon
D33d
As a kind of practical joke, I decided to try my hand at a partial spiral slider by using mm's "growing circle pieces" method. The punchline is that I wasted a good half-hour on it and that I got the end to snap into place perfectly.

Hey, it's not quite so horrible! After a load of fiddling, I figured out that the method could be improved substantially (at least, for me) by halving the amount of anchors--this seems to make it a lot easier to get it round enough, with the only "negative" being that it's not perfectly circular. However, asymmetry!=bad, as long as it's done tastefully. I think I'm gonna see how much further I can experiment with this logic, since it actually has the potential to work well.

For those who want to try this, the important part is that the anchors align every 180°. Each portion should also be perfectly symmetrical, so that the arcs look nice. The hard part is getting the tightest bend spaced correctly and making the first two arcs work around that--after that, it's a case of aligning the anchors, having straight lines going through the anchors and then adjusting the arcs' points to perfection. The last section simply needs a flatter bezier arc, which needs to be eyeballed.

Happy spiralling!

Just to prove that four-point arcs work with full Danish swirls as well:

Valseem_old
I still can't make these kind of sliders ...
quaternary
Working on my blankets today :)
DakeDekaane
What happens if you mix waves, arcs and a loop?

I know the arcs can be better, but they aren't too bad :3[_____]
Sonnyc

Catmull Star shaped slider.
Derekku

Sonnyc wrote:

Catmul
Haven't heard that word in years!
D33d
Question mark sliders in action, as part of a bigger flow event. Oooh yeah.

Kin
Dunno how I can name it

this slider is on my GD for Krah's mapset
Minhtam
This thread needs some new content.

D33d
Nice bird. You should blanket the end properly though, then it'd look more polished.
Vialle
What about writing kanjis
show more