forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Minhtam

fartownik wrote:

CXu wrote:

It spreads out the best teams (according to some metric) so that you basically don't get something like Poland vs. Taiwan or whatever in group stages.
More like, you don't get 3/4 top teams in one group so one or two of them have to go out early.
Mmhmm... How did that work out? #GroupOfDeath #GroupF
Railey2

Loctav wrote:

Please consider that the Group Stage is considered as mere Qualification stage, seeding all players according to their initial performance into the actual tournament, starting from Round of 16. Only 16 of 32 countries can in fact qualify. Therefore, the Group Stage pool is designed to measure said seeding and to offer a proper qualification stage, hence why it is way easier than what comes from RO16 and further.
If your objective is to determine fair seeds (sorting the teams from strongest to weakest and pairing them in a fashion that the supposedly strongest teams can only potentially compete against each other at the very end of the tournament), it should have been in your best interest to pick maps where differences in skill between teams show in the clearest manner (because otherwise you can't accurately sort them from strongest to weakest).

With that in mind, what you said doesn't make sense. If you pick easy maps, you won't be able to assess accurately what team is the best, because their ability to play easy maps converges (each and every one of them will SS the tutorial).
Conversely, their ability to play harder maps diverges: You don't expect someone ranked around 1k to be as good on, lets say Image Material, as someone ranked in the top10.

In other words, you achieved the exact opposite of what you wanted. Your set of easy maps will not be as effective in enabling you to assess differences in skill between players or teams, as a set of harder maps.

Saying that it gets harder later on is completely irrelevant in that context. How difficult the maps later on are, is in no way related to your initial objective (the hopefully fair seeding).
CXu
Will you add a stream schedule anytime soon (if there isn't one already, that is)? Would be nice to know which games are being streamed.
Topic Starter
Loctav
There is no stream schedule for Group Stages. We decide that momentarily. Sometimes matches do not work out (connection issues, people not showing up, etc.), so making plans ahead is pretty much pointless here. However, we try to cover every team at least once, alas we can't promise it. It decides on the flow and what seems to be the most promising in the current time block.

For future stages, matches do not overlap and all matches will be covered by the stream and therefore the match schedule is equivalent to the stream schedule.
CXu
Well, I thought you'd have a outline, so we could know what match to expect to see on stream. There was one last year iirc. It'd be convenient for telling friends and stuff.
chainpullz

Loctav wrote:

There is no stream schedule for Group Stages. We decide that momentarily. Sometimes matches do not work out (connection issues, people not showing up, etc.), so making plans ahead is pretty much pointless here. However, we try to cover every team at least once, alas we can't promise it. It decides on the flow and what seems to be the most promising in the current time block.

For future stages, matches do not overlap and all matches will be covered by the stream and therefore the match schedule is equivalent to the stream schedule.
Would it be possible to host all of the concurrent matches even if the commentators are only casting a specific match (ie. more than 1 stream)? I assume any major changes like this would have to wait until next year but I ask nonetheless.
buny

Minhtam wrote:

The group just happened to get the best team of the lower seed, I'm not too sure why everyone's going around making a meme about it.

It has been stated that Japan had a lot of lower rank players in their lineup, which caused their seeding to be lower than expected.
Minhtam

a loli wrote:

Minhtam wrote:

The group just happened to get the best team of the lower seed, I'm not too sure why everyone's going around making a meme about it.
Exactly. #GroupOfDeath.
chainpullz

Minhtam wrote:

Exactly. #GroupOfDeath.
It's not a group of death since Japan sucks this year. Being Japan doesn't magically make up for the fact that most of their top players aren't competing. It's no more a group of death than any of the other groups.
Te Amo
Best of luck to whoever is participating :D
Kert
Are we going to play with new slider drawing when using Hidden? Latest stable was just updated with this.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Multi is forced to use the old
Makan1
?_? so does that mean when practicing in solo, its the new HD slider but during the tournament, its with the old??

I ... might... question why lol.

isn't this something only riot does
Tebz188

Makan1 wrote:

isn't this something only riot does
and everyother major e-sports
Aka
Athrun
What is this sorcery.
buny
dream is dead guys, was a very nice match

https://osu.ppy.sh/mp/20091841
JappyBabes
gz malaysia
Athrun
Quality stream. Kappa. :3
Sileighty
brazil hype
Yauxo
Still waiting for O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U- JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A- E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA to be picked as a warmup
Aloha
GG Malaysia.
Tofuklops
Hey guys, I missed Austrian vs Taiwan game... Could anybody tell me how it ended?
Yuno I Love You
Mazzerin was a magician! In the Lit-Fra match
Tebz188

Phoni-sama wrote:

Hey guys, I missed Austrian vs Taiwan game... Could anybody tell me how it ended?
Bass

Yauxo wrote:

Still waiting for O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U- JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A- E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA to be picked as a warmup

ADRENALINE IS PUMPING
Tofuklops

tbag188 wrote:

Phoni-sama wrote:

Woah, that's nice! Thanks very much :)
fartownik
rfandomization I hope you're there for out match at least

because this is horrible
Houtarou Oreki
How did Taiwan vs Portugal end?
a1l2d3r4e5d6

Houtarou Oreki wrote:

How did Taiwan vs Portugal end?
Taiwan took that from a tiebreak.
Ayako
I am proud to be a Singaporean
plaatinum

Ayako wrote:

im gay
fartownik
Singapore put up a really good fight. Nice try.
[Japinha CPM22]
BRASIL HYPE
Tofuklops
Btw, where can I see the actual standing incl. the points?
Or am I just bad in searching? :c
tryaway

Phoni-sama wrote:

no OWC staff just too lazy to make page for that
Tofuklops

tryaway wrote:

Phoni-sama wrote:

no OWC staff just too lazy to make page for that
I think I have to wait until the end then or maybe it will be added later ^^
[TaikoTori]

Phoni-sama wrote:

You can atleast find the mp links and look for yourself here.
leepdesu

plaatinum wrote:

Ayako wrote:

im gay
how to carry burden team
Railey2
you can also see the results here, together with a comment about each match. Lets hope he keeps that list up to date!
show more