forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nuke-
Lets go for the 4th crown South Korea gogogogogo :)
I'm really looking forward to Cinia's performance
VnSoul
You do realize Germany almost has a completely different (and less skilled) roster right?

Thats quite a bold statement. I would claim that thier roster this year is at at least as strong as last year. Germany's roster last year was pretty much very strong in NoMod/DT , but kinda weak what it came to HR/HD. The roster this year looks a lot more balanced and I somehow have a feeling that they are even stronger this year, but its all up to the performance/consistency of the new players
Mismagius

Xayne wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

Basically: China has a lot of all-around players, but no particular strength. If you have a team that will perfectly play a single mod while being also good at another one, they can overplay them with no issues.
Taiwan should be S-Tier, but the fact that they tilt in almost every OWC to date is really a factor. They have given easy wins to Ukraine and Brazil in past OWCs, while teams like Germany, Korea and Japan wouldn't have done that. Past may not be a factor, but the roster is almost the exact same as the other years. They're great players, but they don't seem to be able to perform as well in tournaments.
You do realize Germany almost has a completely different (and less skilled) roster right?
if by "less skilled" you mean that Germany is the only team in the entire tournament with their 8 players being in the top 200 worldwide, then yes, they are less skilled.
Gigo

Blue Dragon wrote:

if by "less skilled" you mean that Germany is the only team in the entire tournament with their 8 players being in the top 200 worldwide, then yes, they are less skilled.
1. One of their players is rank 250.

2. Rank and skill are two different things (which is something we all should know extremely well by now).
Endaris
Yes but we've seen from last year that players new to OWC can do very well Tom94 blowing my mind last year so while it is hard to give an exact guess they're not to be underestimated especially in context of Score v2.
Mismagius

Gigo wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

1. One of their players is rank 250.

2. Rank and skill are two different things (which is something we all should know extremely well by now).
My point still stands. In theory they are showing to be a much more consistent team than Taiwan, and it's just a prediction.
Gigo

Blue Dragon wrote:

... and it's just a prediction.
Fair enough. I guess I am a little biased since I like Taiwan's team, but whatever... we'll see what happens.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Updated rosters, should be complete now.

Updated ruleset, defining that we use Score V2 now.
Fixed ruleset, where "mode" has been used, while it should be "mod" when referring to HardRock, Hidden etc.
Te Amo
Hype
Athrun
Get hyped boys! Even if some teams have weaker players and what not, there's no telling what will happen in a tournament! So, let's get hyped for our favourite team!!

P.S. I want my banner to cheer for Hong Kong
Gigo

Athrun wrote:

Wait... what?! You're not gonna cheer for Australia?
Athrun

Gigo wrote:

Athrun wrote:

Wait... what?! You're not gonna cheer for Australia?
Hong Kong is where I was born, so I'll cheer for Hong Kong.

If they are out, I'll cheer for Australia next :)
One of my friends is on the Hong Kong team, so why wouldn't I cheer for them
sables
I also support Hong Kong and my friend -N a n a k o- :) But Poland is an obvious #1 for me.

About owc wiki page - there is no 'The previous title holder is X (Japan)' sentence this year, did you guys forget about it or it's still under construction and that's why.
Athrun

sables48 wrote:

I also support Hong Kong and my friend -N a n a k o- :)
Yay! Chaoslitz is in the tournament and also one of my good friends! Let's hope Hong Kong can make it after group stage \:D/
Raiku
I'd love to commentate this year again! I was the English guy.

That would be awesome
Gigo

Athrun wrote:

Oh ok, my bad. :oops: :o
Elscar

VnSoul wrote:

Thats quite a bold statement. I would claim that thier roster this year is at at least as strong as last year. Germany's roster last year was pretty much very strong in NoMod/DT , but kinda weak what it came to HR/HD. The roster this year looks a lot more balanced and I somehow have a feeling that they are even stronger this year, but its all up to the performance/consistency of the new players

sure tom is a really weak HD player... he only fc'd the tiebreaker with HD against us last year (#2 score back then)
Athrun

Gigo wrote:

Athrun wrote:

Oh ok, my bad. :oops: :o
Who are you going for this year, putting aside the differences
tryaway
I'm for Taiwan , Hong Kong and China :oops:
Minhtam
I just want a country to win the osu! World Cup for the first time ever. i.e. anybody but South Korea and Japan.

Fortunately, judging by the makeup of their teams, it looks like most of the top South Korea and Japan players have this "been there, done that" attitude and are allowing some other top players a chance to play. We'll see if that comes back to haunt them.
-Ryuujii-
Top notch analysis WOW
shortpotato
I think players in this world cup are more skilled than ever, and can only continue improve to make future world cups even more exciting. It seems every team that is competing now all have really strong players who have the potential to perform really well in the tournament - and maybe force some upsets!

As for the viewers, I feel like this is a great tourney to watch, for experienced players, but also those who are newer or are just watching the twitch stream for the first time (wow they click so fast!). I feel like the new score system does promote a much more exciting viewing experience, and the presence of commentators can only add to the hype (https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... ng_system/)

Even though there have been problems in previous world cups I feel like this one has been mostly hassle-free (at least to this point in time), and it's definitely come a long way with increased publicity, player skill and prize pool. Would like to commend tournament management for their efforts in improving the world cup year by year (it seems we're even getting a team video on youtube this year?) and good luck to all teams!
Nuke-

Minhtam wrote:

I just want a country to win the osu! World Cup for the first time ever. i.e. anybody but South Korea and Japan.

Fortunately, judging by the makeup of their teams, it looks like most of the top South Korea and Japan players have this "been there, done that" attitude and are allowing some other top players a chance to play. We'll see if that comes back to haunt them.
Actually, sayo and Dungeon are gone for military
HDHR playing DnF
Bikko and ffury busy for work
Idk about Nara
(Military too bad...)
Endaris

Elscar wrote:

sure tom is a really weak HD player... he only fc'd the tiebreaker with HD against us last year (#2 score back then)
It's been for a greater good, I'm sure the shoe was tasty :D
Athrun
How long until banners ;W;
VnSoul

Elscar wrote:

You didnt understand my point. What I meant was that the team is more balanced know in terms of mods. In Germany's roster last year Tom was pretty much the only one who did well on the Hidden picks.
Natteke desu
no Bahrain team this year?
:(
buny
drawings tomorrow hype
Gigo
Ok, groups have been drawn, everything is set... and so it begins!
Aoiyuuki-
I made a Google Sheets based on the roster of this year's OWC along with their ranking, right here: OWC 2015 Roster by PP
I'll add more clarification on to it later and maybe improvement on it.

Edit: Based on this Google Sheets from last year: OWC 2014 Roster by PP Rankings
plaatinum
See, a match without slider acc is so great, why must slider acc be a thing ;_;
zz-e

Aoiyuuki- wrote:

I made a Google Sheets based on the roster of this year's OWC along with their ranking, right here: OWC 2015 Roster by PP
Looks good, gives a bit of comparison. Luckily in the end it doesn't come down to just rankings, so looking forward to the group stages!
CXu
Gigo

Aoiyuuki- wrote:

Edit: Based on this Google Sheets from last year: OWC 2014 Roster by PP Rankings
Good job.

Greece and Ukraine with higher average ranking than Japan. FailFish
Aoiyuuki-

Gigo wrote:

Aoiyuuki- wrote:

Good job.

Greece and Ukraine with higher average ranking than Japan. FailFish
Just to clarify, I believe you're referring to my roster ranking which averages all of the players of the team. Japan has players that rank as low as 3k, dropping the average of the Japanese teams slightly lower than Greece and Ukraine.

In terms of starting roster, I don't believe I put them higher.
Gigo
Yeah, I was talking about the average of the whole team.
O Pie
Suggestion
Can someone please add spoilerboxes or split the main wiki page into several subpages pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
It is god awful to scroll through eternity just to look up a tiny something
And this will get worse as more mappools and tournament results gets added
CXu

?
O Pie

CXu wrote:

?
My bad D:. Guess I just ignored its existence since its seriously hard to use imo
Topic Starter
Loctav
Mappool and schedule are out~ Check the wiki for more info.
show more