forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Loctav
Why don't you link directly to the streams of the OWC#1? They serve as perfect example of how stuff is done now. read as: stop being a dick
CXu
I don't have and opinion on if old owc tournaments have had good commentary or not, but:

Loctav wrote:

Interested in non-existent sleep schedules, being on constant coffee, talking 8-12 hours straight without peeing for the next 7 weekends? Being full of hype, able to break down your knowledge to the very basics?
That's why you have more than 3 people commentating, and you switch them up so commentators get adequate breaks :P

I generally find 1 charismatic commentator paired up with one analytic commentator usually works out really well. One brings the hype, while the other infodumps basically. A lot of people commentating at the same time usually leads to people talking over each other, or someone not talking much at all. It's much easier to keep it balanced with 2 people on the mic.

Also, I don't think people think that the charismatic people aren't needed, but that some higher skilled players might be a nice addition to the commentary.
Obviously you'd need someone with time, dedication and everything, and someone also competing is probably not really a good idea, but having say 3 commentary pairs and a commentary schedule could be really helpful in both getting enough rest and time to find a rhythm to commentating for the pair (if they are kept the same).
Topic Starter
Loctav
Unfortunately, experience prove that it is hard to find people that stick to schedules reliably. The general idea of rotating commentators out is a given and clear, but we recruited people from all over the places and the current core team is the only bunch I can plan with a 99% reliability. In last years OWC, this was not a given. (Reliability resolved around 60%)
I know we need to have a bigger core team, but this core team should exist for all 5 world cups. Because finding reliable people is hard here.
Minhtam

Loctav wrote:

Unfortunately, experience prove that it is hard to find people that stick to schedules reliably. The general idea of rotating commentators out is a given and clear, but we recruited people from all over the places and the current core team is the only bunch I can plan with a 99% reliability. In last years OWC, this was not a given. (Reliability resolved around 60%)
I know we need to have a bigger core team, but this core team should exist for all 5 world cups. Because finding reliable people is hard here.
This 100%. It's not like peppy actually pays $$$ to commentators. Thus, no matter how much the commentators want to work the matches, real life and real occupations take priority.
tfg50

He Ang Erika wrote:

tfg50 wrote:

No... just no....
Giving a bonus for a SS is stupid and a changing map score that isn't defined until the end is also kinda unnecessary.
That also doesn't take combo into account and the drop from low acc is too huge. A 80% score fc would mean nothing, you could get a 99% with tons of misses and you would get a score that's over 70 times bigger than the 80% fc (that's an extreme case that is not likely to happen but still...)
Firstly I don't understand what you meant by "changing map score that isn't defined until the end", my intent is to precisely tell that we should modifyr the score after the map is already over, could you re-phrase your point?
Secondly 80% accuracy in Standard is actually pretty bad :C And in all honesty especially in a tournament scenario if one's accuracy falls below 95% I can simply conclude generally that he/she is either not skilled enough at that stage or not able to practise the map diligently, and thus shall not rightfully emerge victorious. That's the philosophical cornerstone of the concept of competition in the first place.
Thirly Osu! as a rhythm game, where the rhythm element is measured by rate of accuracy and the game element is measured by proficiency in movement/reaction (AKA get combo), it makes little sense to weigh one above another, therefore I see the validity in the managements' decision to pull up the importance of accuracy even though players are used to being obsessed with combos and are reluctant to accept this change however reasonable.

Last but not least back to my own point in my previous post, I would like to clarify once more that I've stated CLEARLY in bold that all numerical values and functions are just EXAMPLES for illustration purposes only, to help readers understand through usage of analogies about how a score formular helps to balance out the issues with combo and accuracy, and how the multipliers and exponents stated above are NOT FINALISED or NON-NEGOTIABLE or even necessary in the first place :x My intent is to present the idea of formulars, not to get nitty-gritty with the technicality of the values involved. If you wish to argue that formulars are bad ideas, please stay on point on why formulars are bad. Anyway just to add on, everything in Osu! is pretty much calculated by formulars, like scores, accuracy, pp, even the basic model of 50% acc 50% combo is also a formular, but just too simplistic in my opinion to work fairly, which is why I suggested a more complex formular. To me there are only 2 ways to go about this: One is to stick with the old model of score wins and score only, or two get a good enough formular that makes thing fair and fun for the most, it's really that simple D:
I see, I do agree that combo matters too much right now but if player A gets a 200 combo 99% score and tons of misses and player B gets fc 1200 combo and 90% score, player B deserves more score (that kind of scenario does happen all the time with me, I'm player A). With the numbers that you said (ofc, this is just an example, as you said that could be tweaked) player B would get at least 5 times less score. That's kinda unfair even if you take combo off the equation.

What I meant by changing stuff that isn't defined until the end is that there is a max score like mania but your score can't be calculated before the end, so matches would feel really awkward with misses (and missed stream specially) reducing your score instead of simply diminishing the score gain.

The new score system will probably just make the scaling less drastic (idk how the combo bonus is calculated but something like combo^(1/2) might be enough assuming it scales linearly with combo) or use a internal combo meter that caps or doesn't go all the way down after missing just once.
Azlynn_old

Evrien wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, but you don't seem to have been around much. The reason why many of the players you see here raising this issue in this thread is because they feel that there are players who can be BOTH high ranked AND charismatic/caster-capable enough to man the position. And these top players who run streams on Twitch on a regular basis (loliforz, Azer, HappyStick, Doomsday, Tokichii, Jesus1412, list goes on) are used to talking in front of hundreds and we thus have valid reasons to trust that they have the skills.

We do not in any way say that the official casters are inferior - this is a qualitative statement that we can't prove statistically. We are merely saying that other people are just as ready able and willing, and there should be a window through which they can posit themselves forward - that is, if Loctav is considering this already and if so I rest my case.
As I mentioned in my post, I haven't been around osu! long but I've been involved with rhythm games for 12 years. I've been staff for 5 years on another rhythm game site and have a good working knowledge on what's necessary when it comes to these things. High level player doesn't = good commentator and not so good player doesn't = bad commentator. I just think the mentality a lot of people here have of the person having to be a good player to be a good commentator isn't a good one to have. If the person has a good personality and knows the mechanics of the game they can likely commentate it fine. You also can't throw too many people into it otherwise it's hard for people to talk, you end up tripping on one another.
-Ryosuke

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

The thing is though I can hardly imagine a game where deadbeat, Tasha, and ztrot aren't commentating
Yeah, deadbeat is my favourite

the feels man
buny
This happens in every online game tournament, there is one side that wants an experienced, insightful caster (i.e. merlini), and then there is another with what is known as a "hype" caster (i.e. tobiwan).

Players that prefer more game-experienced casters tend to be players that are veteran at the game already, whereas more casual or new players lean towards hype casters. It's logical to pick hype casters over experienced casters, because hype caters more towards the newer players. The problem is that by taking a look at the caster roster for this year, it's obvious that the participating casters aren't that great at the game they're going to commentate

I don't think anybody actually minds the casters, but they would prefer an additional game-experienced caster, so that the commentating will cater both sides of the spectrum rather than newer/casual players.

Just my 2c but I hope you take this post into consideration ztrot, and have an additional caster that leans towards game-experience rather than hype
Topic Starter
Loctav
It is weird for me to see that you think they all have no game experience. They might not be in the top ranks, but you don't need to be there to understand this game. Don't make it look like osu! is wicked rocket science. Sure there are things that require some sort of knowledge, but you don't need to be a top player to understand what is going on always. After all, it's clicking circles.
ztrot is here since the beginning of osu!, deadbeat is here almost as long as I am. Tasha is a well rounded person, knowing multiple game modes perfectly fine.
I think this argument is a bit exaggerated. Calling the current roster inexperienced in this game is a bit insulting, even. I mean, they are all osu! veterans, too. They just never bothered rushing and farming to the top ranks. Yet they are here forever and have very well an idea what this game is about and how it works on multiple levels.
Sure there needs to be one or two person who actually can play the maps for example. To transmit the true feeling of the picked maps. Or to transmit the feeling during the matches. But that's about it.
CXu

Loctav wrote:

Sure there needs to be one or two person who actually can play the maps for example. To transmit the true feeling of the picked maps. Or to transmit the feeling during the matches. But that's about it.
I'm sure having these people is what everyone is talking about :P

As far as inexperience goes, I don't think people think they're inexperienced about the game overall, but there are some things that you can't really tell without actually playing the map. It's not often, but sometimes a pattern may feel really weird to play unless you're at a skill level where you can realistically FC the pattern most of the time. Since then you're basing the awkwardness off of you executing it wrong, rather than executing it right.

Oh well, if finding more dedicated people isn't going to work out, I guess having some good players to give insight to the commentators prior to the weekends would be nice. Seeing as you mention that you need such people already, I'm sure you're already on that though. Maybe you could also "interview" some teams and what their players feel about particular maps in the mapset? Would be good knowledge in general, as well as during said player/teams match as you would know more about where they in particular feel they can't do well etc.
uee

Loctav wrote:

It is weird for me to see that you think they all have no game experience. They might not be in the top ranks, but you don't need to be there to understand this game. Don't make it look like osu! is wicked rocket science. Sure there are things that require some sort of knowledge, but you don't need to be a top player to understand what is going on always. After all, it's clicking circles.
While this is true, someone under 10k couldn't talk about how difficult hitting a certain pattern out of their skill range is. What is insanely difficult to them may be manageable or even easy to someone of a higher rank. On the same note, they couldn't talk about the stress or worries while being in a tournament like the OWC as they have never experienced it.
I don't think any of us are trying to suggest that the current commentators are bad at their jobs or should be dropped, but having someone skilled enough to convey things such as what I just listed could help the commentary somewhat. Much like you said here:

Loctav wrote:

fartownik
Sign 3 additional commentators and match them as 2-person teams with the already existing ones according to timezone.
buny

Loctav wrote:

that hit exactly on the point, and i do really like fartowniks suggestion, since it is widely common to pair a hype caster with an insight caster. Or even having a third person that can give an insight of the match on the scorescreen, talking about what went wrong, plays that stood out etc

An example would be like in csgo, it is getting very popular to invite pro players to give aftermatch analysis, or even pairing them up with another caster, and the community responds very positively to it

the biggest problem as you stated is finding the dedicated casters, but if the suggested casters in the previous posts are as good as the credit given to them, why not give them a shot? The worst scenario is that you end up with your 3 dedicated casters again, which is the current scenario anyway.
ztrot
please, do not worry. Not one thing said here is falling on deaf ears I know what the community wants to see and I will make sure it gets something along those lines. But for those asking my personal friends and other members of the community just stop. The choice was given to me to make I have been here since osu! was just starting I'm not going to take it down a path that I feel would impact it badly in terms of commentary I have a core group that can follow ques and stay on time, does this mean I'm not looking to expand? HEAVENS NO so please get the panties out of the bunch and have a little faith. I've got this
Lust
Agreed, lets put a little more faith in the guys and see what they come up with. Looking forward to a great owc this year :D
Happy911
Is there any way to get the osu! world cup 2015 banner at a high resolution for wallpaper ?

Thanks.
karterfreak
Been following the conversation in the background. We totally would like to have more experienced people joining in for analyst style commentating (We did the same thing with 4K MWC if you guys watched, where we brought in Halogen- and Azlynn to commentate, Halogen- being on the winning team for this years 4K MWC)

While I feel some of the comments about our ability to play the game are unwarranted (Took me 2 hours to climb 1500 ranks yesterday on a whim), I do understand the need of having a highly skilled player that understands how to give analytic commentary, as despite us being able to tell the difficulty of the maps we can't speak from experience on them.

Just trust that we're listening to you all. We want the commentary to be enjoyable for everyone and will do our best to do so.

Also yeah... any of you guys that have tried to bribe ztrot or bug his friends to get into commentary. Know you've basically ruined your own chances by doing so.

Minifrij wrote:

On the same note, they couldn't talk about the stress or worries while being in a tournament like the OWC as they have never experienced it.
I've played in three different world cups for taiko. We placed 4th in 2013, were disqualified due to absent players in 2014 in bracket stage, and ended 7/8th in 2015. I am FULLY aware of the stress players are under in a world cup match. Are you?
Cyclohexane
long post ahead probably

Having commentated in the osu! world cup for several years now, I guess I can share my opinion on the meat of what's been discussed so far in the thread, as well as what I agreed and disagreed on.

I'll start with the preferred style of casting. This is common in e-sports and, hell, regular sports, you have 2 or 3 people casting a game, but they fill different roles. One of them commentates the game at hand, how the players are doing, the score difference, as well as get loud and excited when needed. You'll also need to come up with catchy one-liners and classic sentences that people will throw back at you at every single opportunity. This is play-by-play casting.
Then there's the quiet one, never really gets too excited, this person is here to analyze the games, the maps, how they're going to work between each team, what each player in the game is strong or weak at, basically anything relating to the inner workings of the game. That's your color commentator. He'll try to get in between two of the play-by-play commentator's sentences and give off some interesting insight about the situation at hand. He's also your go-to guy to debrief and analyze between the games, with the play-by-play asking the questions.

This will come as no surprise, but I am not a color commentator, despite the name. I very much thrive in speaking loudly and incoherently about the lights showing up on my screen and having people feel the excitement through my incessant yelling. Jokes aside, that's what I do best. Although if you've heard my type of casting, there's something that probably has annoyed you before and was hinted at earlier; how I cut off everyone. Now, I have to say that as a play-by-play, that can't be helped - if you're having a discussion about the game and all of a sudden one of the teams completely tilts and breaks combo repeatedly, you have to take control and start the play-by-play again. Cutting off people is necessary if you're describing the action. Now, I know I also cut people off at unnecessary moments - That's just me being a dick, but I don't do it on purpose.

Okay, I do it on purpose sometimes, to annoy ztrot. Sure.

The next bit I wanted to talk about is the subject of tournament experience and how good you are as a player. Now, this can be proven elsewhere again (esports, real sports, yadda yadda) but a play-by-play commentator absolutely does not have to have any deep knowledge of the game. I'll take an example in League of Legends since I know the esports scene fairly well, half of the casters in the western regions are not pro gamers. When they stream playing the game they are completely average at it. But they've been around the game for long enough to be able to call the action well without mistakes. Same goes here. Circles get clicked. It's not that hard to describe.
Now the colour commentator thrives on having experience. He loves bringing his knowledge as a former pro. He can notice everything the play-by-play and most of the time, the viewer as well overlook and brings it under the spotlights. I know for a fact that when I casted with Raiku I had immense synergy with him because it was so natural and simple to discuss the maps, the players, their strength and weaknesses, things like handling stress when you're playing, etc. Things that you would only know through extensive knowledge and game skill.

Finally, and this is gonna fondle some robinsons, I have to bring up the issue of "reliability", as it is called. It's been brought up to me countless times behind the scenes. And I have to come clean, I was not the best person when it came to respecting schedules. I was often late, sometimes absent, sometimes I just couldn't cast any of the games during the week-end, and sometimes my voice would get shot. After getting a stern talking-to (this was prior to OWC 2014) I promised that I would do anything in my power to show up to the games on time, cover as many of them as possible on reasonable hours, and if I had to miss any games, warn people in advance so an alternative could be found. Now, I'm sure the people who keep track of attendance will love to prove me wrong on this, but I remember doing a pretty bang-up job, at least in the OWC. The problem wasn't covering the games. I actually started getting blamed for not showing up for enough games towards the end of tournaments. The reason for that is, as you may know, our asian demographic is quite skilled at this game -- and timezones exist. Which frequently meant I was supposed to get up in the middle of the night to cast a game. And, well, that's just not an expectation I could meet. I bailed after the Taiko World Cup, which had EVEN MORE games at inconvenient times, and I guess that was the end of that.

Now, I'm sure I'll get the argument that some people do pull it off - and they pull it off well (s/o to my main man ztrot), but I cannot help but feel like requesting for 24h availability is much too demanding. Especially for play-by-play commentating. You are never going to pull off your best if you have to force yourself out of a night's rest just to catch a game to cast -- You're never gonna be at 100%. I've been there and I've seen the people who do that regularly and I am adamant on this. If you're expecting someone to be on time and fill out the best they can the matches for the day, that's perfectly fine -- the opposite would be suspect. But expecting a commentator to be available and ready to cast at any time from Friday to Monday is just unreasonable. You're probably losing out on a plethora of talented people who would be ecstatic to perform on stage if they weren't bound to a few hours a day. You need different people to fill different timezones. Once again, going back to esports with League of Legends, where casters switch every 3 matches in general. Even with a relaxed schedule like that, casters have had voice issues (i've had my share of them); PiraTechnics, a recent addition to the League of Legends casters was unable to attend its world championship because of it. Montecristo, who casts the Korean league, has had the same issue (although he has a much more stacked schedule). Exerting your voice without restraint over long periods of time will ruin your health, don't take it lightly.

Yeah. I'm not exactly sure what the point of that post was, I guess it's alright insight from someone who's been in the ropes of this for a long time.

And since I'm probably not going to bother to get in game and I know he's around and reading this thread, I might as well. So yeah ztrot I don't know what the sitch is cause I was obviously shown the door earlier in the thread, but if you have a different opinion and feel like having me on for old times' sake i'll be around during the weekends, just hit me up with a match that's in a reasonable time frame and we can bring out all the KFC memes. 👌
fartownik
Please take Color, kthanksbye. No really, he was the favorite caster for lots of people, me for sure. If you could sort out the timezone issues as he said, I'm pretty sure he would be there every time you want him to (if not I will shrek him myself) and we could once again enjoy a great cast from this already experienced man. There is really no need to stretch people to the maximum of their availability, they have lives themselves and I'm pretty sure the osu! casters (even if paid for what they're doing) can not sacrifice everything to be there 24/7, especially after a hard day of casting already. Considering that there was only few casters available last year (4?) this really is an easy-to-fix issue by simply raising the amount to 6, maybe 7 casters from as broad timezone margin as possible.
plaatinum
Wait is mr color not commentating this year? Because he had to be the best caster out of the whole casting team last OWC and the reason that made me stay watching even after I got permabanned from chat because of the happystick shenanigans.
AmaiHachimitsu

fartownik wrote:

Sign 3 additional commentators and match them as 2-person teams with the already existing ones according to timezone.
This is how it's done in pretty much any sports show.
One guy being "main" commentator (like the one who tells the action of a match) and one supporting who is usually an expert in a given category (e.g. David Beckham co-commentating a football match).
Kert
Let's hope there won't be bancho related player drops this year (no I am not talking about when players used skype)
Last year was a disaster because of that
buny
I thought the bancho drops were 2 owcs ago, and ddos problems were last owc

or was it bancho being ddos'd? ugh I can't even remember that far
Kert
I mean the cases when bancho dropped various players during the match/right before the mp results screen due to some problems on the osu! client/bancho side
It's just that recently I've played in another tourney and got kicked to the main menu out of the blue (my connection was fine)
I just want to mention the problem before it's too late
YodaSnipe

Absolute recipe for disaster. Why aren't countries allowed to choose their own captain in the first place and have them create their desired team.
Bauxe

YodaSnipe wrote:

Absolute recipe for disaster. Why aren't countries allowed to choose their own captain in the first place and have them create their desired team.
1) Who's to stop random players claiming themselves as captains and registering teams?
2) They are (ideally) going to pick people who will make the most reliable captain. Attempting to avoid favoritism in team member picks, and instead pick the best players.
3) Loctav has already said the captaincy can be passed off to another player.
4) Countries can't really pick a captain, instead it is a select bunch of players picking the captain.
5) What if the captain is not allowed to play due to breaking rules?

I don't see why you think this is so bad, honestly it's probably the fairest way to go about selecting teams. If countries have already created the teams before-hand, whoever is selected as captain can just make that the team.

buny wrote:

I thought the bancho drops were 2 owcs ago, and ddos problems were last owc

or was it bancho being ddos'd? ugh I can't even remember that far
DDOS was 2 years ago, that's when we had the secondary bancho server.
YodaSnipe

Bauxe wrote:

1) Who's to stop random players claiming themselves as captains and registering teams?
2) They are (ideally) going to pick people who will make the most reliable captain. Attempting to avoid favoritism in team member picks, and instead pick the best players.
3) Loctav has already said the captaincy can be passed off to another player.
4) Countries can't really pick a captain, instead it is a select bunch of players picking the captain.
5) What if the captain is not allowed to play due to breaking rules?

I don't see why you think this is so bad, honestly it's probably the fairest way to go about selecting teams. If countries have already created the teams before-hand, whoever is selected as captain can just make that the team.

1) In Canada there's never been this issue. I don't remember it ever being an issue, and if it was it was dealt with.
2) A country doesn't need help choosing its captain.
3) So a random captain is chosen, then said captain (who may not be the best captain) chooses a team (of players that may not be the best choices for this tournament). That's a really poorly thought out idea.
4) We've used this method in the past to great success. I can only speak for Canada as a country, but as far as I know we've always been able to come to a consensus on the ideal captain without the need to have one picked for us.
5) Then they will obviously not be allowed in OWC anyway so this point is moot.

I think its unnecessary. It sounds to me like its possible to have a team captain that isn't the right team captain make a team that wasn't the best team or the one that should've been made for this tournament.
buny
it may be unnecessary for Canada, but there was a ton of controversy iirc previous owc with captains and whatnot. A lot of rosters had to be changed too because of players not eligible to play, so this should be tons easier by just forming teams from a list of verified players

I think there were also cases where teams were actually being submitted from two different captains, which caused even more confusion

Personally I'd like to give this new process a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Bauxe wrote:

DDOS was 2 years ago, that's when we had the secondary bancho server.
so long ago rip
YodaSnipe

buny wrote:

it may be unnecessary for Canada, but there was a ton of controversy iirc previous owc with captains and whatnot. A lot of rosters had to be changed too because of players not eligible to play, so this should be tons easier by just forming teams from a list of verified players

I think there were also cases where teams were actually being submitted from two different captains, which caused even more confusion

Personally I'd like to give this new process a try, what's the worst that could happen?
Okay, then have this be the solution for countries that have these issues and let other Countries that have no issues like these make their own lineups with the proper Captain. The troll potential is far too high if the wrong captain is chosen.
xasuma
Is it only possible to sign up for the country you appear to be from in here in the forums? I am not from here, I just live here.
Just want to make sure.
the_robot
How about this:

As a country (Cananda), decide on what team of eight you want to submit for the tournament. Then, have those eight, and ONLY those eight players register for OWC. At that point, it doesn't matter who they pick as your captain because the only eligible players are players that you have all approved for anyways.

And in the rare case that some random player decides to register without your knowledge, do you really not have the faith that the organizers couldn't pick out that one random and ignore them?
Bauxe

YodaSnipe wrote:

Okay, then have this be the solution for countries that have these issues and let other Countries that have no issues like these make their own lineups with the proper Captain. The troll potential is far too high if the wrong captain is chosen.
Fragmenting the way of choosing teams just adds increased confusion.

If this doesn't work this year, I'm sure they will change next year. But I believe this will be a much better solution.
Nwolf
It worked fine in 3 world cups, it will be fine for OWC as well
YodaSnipe
It's interesting (actually shocking) the number of people that are backing this. I honestly don't think it is right, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully it all works out in the end.
Topic Starter
Loctav

the_robot wrote:

How about this:

As a country (Cananda), decide on what team of eight you want to submit for the tournament. Then, have those eight, and ONLY those eight players register for OWC. At that point, it doesn't matter who they pick as your captain because the only eligible players are players that you have all approved for anyways.

And in the rare case that some random player decides to register without your knowledge, do you really not have the faith that the organizers couldn't pick out that one random and ignore them?
You want as many people to sign up from your country as possible. There is the possibility that in your "only those eight players", some get barred out for violating the osu! rules and then you only have 7, 6, maybe even 4. And no, we do not let others sign up after the 18th - if you didnt sign up, but your core team has denied players, you can not ask others, who didn't sign up, to join.

So whoever makes efforts to only make a specific team sign up and stop others from signing up will most likely damage themselves, as they will have no list of candidates to substitute possible rejected players with. There are even chances that your "only those eight people" will receive 6 rejections and the entire team has no chance to create itself, either.

So people, make your entire country sign up, if needed. Make your options as widespread as possible, so you can guaranteed go into the world cup with the best team that is foundable.

Any attempt to pre-form teams and only sign up with these 8 are not working out. Experience speaks here. And drama is bound to happen in case someone decides to find that suddenly unfair that they can not roll in anyone else that didn't press "sign me up" during the registration phase.

You have been warned!

YodaSnipe wrote:

It's interesting (actually shocking) the number of people that are backing this. I honestly don't think it is right, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully it all works out in the end.
If you don't need help, make the chosen one publish the candidate list and discuss it/form the team like you always did. I don't see the issue. No one is stopping you to use your selection method as you did before internally.
A troll potential only exists if we deliberately pick trolls and idiots to be captains. That won't happen. We know 98% of the people we are dealing with here, so do not make it look like we roll a dice to decide who gets the captain. You can pick your ideal captain however you want. We just pick someone to get in contact to in order to make it happen. Who ends up with the title of the captain and who gets a team member is totally up to you guys.

In past world cups, we gave the last to the decided captains and almost all of them shared the list with the fellow candidates. They discussed in a group who will end up in the team and who will get the captain title at last. The decided captain mailed me their group decision back. Some decided captains did not even end up in the team at all.

As you can see, if you would just not assume too much that everyone but yourself is an asshole that boycotts your team and trust people a bit more, you could be less frustrated and less worried about this entire method.
plaatinum
Note that you can only participate if you are of a osu! global ranking of #5000 or higher and did not violate the osu! community rules in the past 12 months.
Just wanna clarify, a few random silences for spamming or inappropriate conversation or whatever doesn't bar you from entering the competition right?
uee

Tasha wrote:

I've played in three different world cups for taiko. We placed 4th in 2013, were disqualified due to absent players in 2014 in bracket stage, and ended 7/8th in 2015. I am FULLY aware of the stress players are under in a world cup match. Are you?
In that case, I apologize for including you in that comment. I should have done some checks before saying that. However, the point still stands for ztrot and deadbeat.
Also,

Tasha wrote:

Are you?
No, but I'm not commentating nor do I have any desire to do so.

Apologies to bring this up again, just wanted to say that before it became too late to do so.

plaatinum wrote:

Just wanna clarify, a few random silences for spamming or inappropriate conversation or whatever doesn't bar you from entering the competition right?
I really doubt it, else it would eliminate a fairly large portion of the player base. I'm sure that is the last thing we want after last year.
YodaSnipe

Loctav wrote:

If you don't need help, make the chosen one publish the candidate list and discuss it/form the team like you always did. I don't see the issue. No one is stopping you to use your selection method as you did before internally.
I am satisfied.
Topic Starter
Loctav

plaatinum wrote:

Note that you can only participate if you are of a osu! global ranking of #5000 or higher and did not violate the osu! community rules in the past 12 months.
mmmmhnah. Unless you have like 15 341h silences in a row or being a gigantic dick all over the places, that doesn't matter. That doesn't mean that you shall head out and receive more silences. This is my personal stance on this. A singular silence doesn't matter. Albeit being a known troublemaker might be a different story, but I have never seen a case so far that were refused to participate for a handful of average silences.
xasuma

xasuma wrote:

Is it only possible to sign up for the country you appear to be from in here in the forums? I am not from here, I just live here.
Just want to make sure.
Anyone?
show more