forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
807
show more
amogus_gaming

Bauxe wrote:

I don't get why people are confused about the change to the scoring system, it is probably the most requested thing relating to OWC.
While I do understand the change and agree that this will definitely be an improvement to the viewing experience, I don't like it at all. The reason scoring is very combo heavy is because the hardest aspect of the game is supposed to get rewarded the most. For example, in osu!mania combo doesn't do anything at all because you could literally just spam all your buttons and still keep combo, while not paying ANY attention to rhythm, while in standard reading might as well be the single most important skill in the game. I do understand that a "random miss" on a map you performed extremely well on can ruin the whole score, but being able to stay focused while playing is IMO the most difficult aspect of the game.

Then again, I might be biased since my own playstyle and the way I read sacrifices accuracy in order to maintain stable aim and combo. And also they haven't released any specific information on how scoring will work yet, so it might not be as tremendous as I am anticipating it.
Topic Starter
Loctav
You should wait until we actually release how the scoring works before you make assumptions about it.
CXu
Would be nice to know that before signing up to a tournament though, you know :P
Topic Starter
Loctav

CXu wrote:

Would be nice to know that before signing up to a tournament though, you know :P
it's still in heavy testing, hence why I gave you a rough tendency where it will go. I am sorry that we were unable to deliver concrete details sooner.
Cyclohexane
Man, can you believe this?

Every year.

Every year they forget about me.
CXu

Loctav wrote:

CXu wrote:

Would be nice to know that before signing up to a tournament though, you know :P
it's still in heavy testing, hence why I gave you a rough tendency where it will go. I am sorry that we were unable to deliver concrete details sooner.
For now it's probably still okay. It sucks, so it's something that hopefully doesn't happen next year (since last owc we also had the problem of not knowing some things in advance, which resulted in everything being blown out of proportions last year too). The best would be if you could get these things finalized before the registrations end though. Those who register should be able to expect the rules to be what they register for, so yeah.

Anyhow, good luck with testing and finalizing these things~
Topic Starter
Loctav

Mr Color wrote:

Man, can you believe this?

Every year.

Every year they forget about me.
Oh, you won't commentate. Don't even bother.
Wishy
Oh my god I can't play because I'm lower than 5k hueuhehu.
Nakano Itsuki
I dont know if it's appropriate to do so, but I somehow think that for one or two matches, some streamers or well known osu commentators on Twitch can be asked to commentate on a match or two.

Just to bring some freshness to the streams imo, apart from the usual ones :P
Topic Starter
Loctav

StarrStyx wrote:

I dont know if it's appropriate to do so, but I somehow think that for one or two matches, some streamers or well known osu commentators on Twitch can be asked to commentate on a match or two.

Just to bring some freshness to the streams imo, apart from the usual ones :P
Thanks for the input! We will consider this option internally and figure something out, if we deem this as feasable.

CXu wrote:

For now it's probably still okay. It sucks, so it's something that hopefully doesn't happen next year (since last owc we also had the problem of not knowing some things in advance, which resulted in everything being blown out of proportions last year too). The best would be if you could get these things finalized before the registrations end though. Those who register should be able to expect the rules to be what they register for, so yeah.
I absolutely agree and I tried my best to whip the devs harder, but it wasnt possible to release the complete thing just in time. I actually wanted it to be done and dandy right before we open the sign-ups, but this was out of my reach haha
Cyclohexane
Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
Topic Starter
Loctav

Mr Color wrote:

Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
We didn't need you for past 3 world cups. So, no. You can resume playing steam games now.
Minhtam

plaatinum wrote:



wat
In before this new scoring system is globally implemented for all of osu
Deif
OWC Group Stage again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
Musty
I just hope that this scoring system won't be as bad as mania's. Indeed, I honestly feel like it's the worst for tourneys, why?
Because you cant make advantages of players' consistency in terms of comboeing (not sure about the correct word to use there). Before, in team based tourneys there have been a lots of tight match that has been disputed throughout maps because people had combos while other had not. I honestly feel like consistency is what people want to see, they want amazing combos more than "amazing accuracy" which is not relevant on long songs.. holding combos is harder in tournament than holding accuracy IN MY OPINION.
Well, i think i am pretty confused in what i say, but if it appears to be close to mania's score system, then i highly disagree with your choices.
Topic Starter
Loctav

Musty wrote:

I just hope that this scoring system won't be as bad as mania's. Indeed, I honestly feel like it's the worst for tourneys, why?
Because you cant make advantages of players' consistency in terms of comboeing (not sure about the correct word to use there). Before, in team based tourneys there have been a lots of tight match that has been disputed throughout maps because people had combos while other had not. I honestly feel like consistency is what people want to see, they want amazing combos more than "amazing accuracy" which is not relevant on long songs.. holding combos is harder in tournament than holding accuracy IN MY OPINION.
Well, i think i am pretty confused in what i say, but if it appears to be close to mania's score system, then i highly disagree with your choices.
As we stated here: https://twitter.com/ppy/status/649599477586636800

It won't be like mania. In mania, combo does not matter at all. We do not plan that. Rather, we just want to take away the weightening of combo >> all. Combo will have a significant impact, but it won't be exponentially outgrowing the score, so even if your accuracy is shit, you will be like miles ahead of people who just missed once. However, combo will definitely matter, we just adjust the balance between how heavy Combo impacts the score and how you can compensate singular drops by accuracy instead.
uee

Loctav wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
We didn't need you for past 3 world cups. So, no. You can resume playing steam games now.
Bit of a harsh thing to say to the person who did the majority of the commentating of the last few years, is it not?

Still, looking forward to this year! Will we be getting any pro players commentating like last year? That would be good.
Musty
Thanks for the clarification Loctav, it seems interesting then.
Kert
I'd listen to Mr.Color every OWC
Please continue
fartownik
Wtf is this thing about Color, he was actually the best commentator with at least some knowledge about the standard players for all past tournaments.

Btw, you should consider taking in some new commentators. People like Evrien, lolimonz, Doomsday and others were really great during the All-Star tournament that took place not long time ago and could bring some great quality into this tournament as well.
Cyclohexane

Loctav wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
We didn't need you for past 3 world cups. So, no. You can resume playing steam games now.
But I don't even have steam!
juankristal

Deif wrote:

OWC Group Stage again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
HUEHUEHUEHU

Hypeee ! :D:D:D
Topic Starter
Loctav

fartownik wrote:

Wtf is this thing about Color, he was actually the best commentator with at least some knowledge about the standard players for all past tournaments.

Btw, you should consider taking in some new commentators. People like Evrien, lolimonz, Doomsday and others were really great during the All-Star tournament that took place not long time ago and could bring some great quality into this tournament as well.
ztrot is making the final calls here. Make them contact him to sort it out.
Makan1
lets not see a repeat of last year yeah....

hong kong pls no disappoint this year lol
Yauxo
How will the map difficulty be scaled? (Non-)Linear?

Edit to clarify (examples):
4.8 5.0 5.2 5.4 5.6 or 4.5 4.7 5.0 5.4 5.9?
Cherry Blossom

Yauxo wrote:

How will the map difficulty be scaled? (Non-)Linear?
We're working on it, I can't really say anything for now.
But yes, like past OWCs, it will be linear.
AmaiHachimitsu

Loctav wrote:

You should wait until we actually release how the scoring works before you make assumptions about it.
Probably PP-oriented system.
While it could be kind of "fair", it would ruin the viewing experience.

Also


Like, seriously, can I commentate too?
Topic Starter
Loctav

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Loctav wrote:

You should wait until we actually release how the scoring works before you make assumptions about it.
Probably PP-oriented system.
While it could be kind of "fair", it would ruin the viewing experience.

Also


Like, seriously, can I commentate too?
Like I said, ask ztrot
Xilver15
.
Catgirl
now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
Winner

Decon082 wrote:

now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
I think it's a bit too late for that. Would have to wipe all scores on leaderboards or make an entirely new leaderboard. :o
EtienneXC

Winner wrote:

Decon082 wrote:

now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
I think it's a bit too late for that. Would have to wipe all scores on leaderboards or make an entirely new leaderboard. :o
At least the new system will reflect skill a lot more.

Anyways, the USA bois better bring it home <3
Minhtam

Winner wrote:

Decon082 wrote:

now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
I think it's a bit too late for that. Would have to wipe all scores on leaderboards or make an entirely new leaderboard. :o
I wouldn't mind that at all. It would give me an excuse to play some of my favorite maps again to solidify my fundamentals. Not to mention I'll capitalize on the player base rage quitting because I'm so anti-meta.
Bauxe

Xilver wrote:

May I please ask for the logic behind captains being selected by the management team and not by the team itself? Not trying to start anything, I just don't particularly agree with that decision and I'd like to hear your line of reasoning behind it.

Even if it's a temporary pick, I'm assuming the reason you pick the captain is for the captain to choose a team, right?
Probably because the team isn't exactly being pre-picked by the country. Since all registrations are individual, they probably want to pick someone who they don't think will choose teammates based on personal bias (ie. picking friends over better players).

Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

edit: also the country-picked captain might not be able to play which would cause confusion (since no more captain).
LoGo
I hope this time if there is some kind of issue with players that will be messaged at MAX like 1 week after registration not after 22 days.
tfg50
ACC =O. My time to shine! LETS GO BRAZIL WE NEED TO WIN SOMETHING AFTER THE GROUP STAGE
CXu

Bauxe wrote:

Xilver wrote:

May I please ask for the logic behind captains being selected by the management team and not by the team itself? Not trying to start anything, I just don't particularly agree with that decision and I'd like to hear your line of reasoning behind it.

Even if it's a temporary pick, I'm assuming the reason you pick the captain is for the captain to choose a team, right?
Probably because the team isn't exactly being pre-picked by the country. Since all registrations are individual, they probably want to pick someone who they don't think will choose teammates based on personal bias (ie. picking friends over better players).

Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

edit: also the country-picked captain might not be able to play which would cause confusion (since no more captain).
Speaking of which, does the temporary captain have to end up in the team? If a country has decided (in their forum section or channel or tournament etc.) whom to select for their team, and the captain chosen isn't among any of them, would this temporary captain be able to pick the 8 players and then not participate themselves?
Evrien
Just wanna say good luck to the management team and thanks for putting effort in revolutionizing the tournament structure. Hope all goes well! I however would like to show some concern for the $5,000 prize pool since it's quite big...really. All-Star promised a $500 one and that was already considered grand-scale. Why $5,000 if I may ask?
Te Amo
Just want to clarify something, if i have proof that i am from Mexico does that make me eligable at all to play for the Mexican team or do i have to try to play for the country i reside in?
Minhtam

KevEz wrote:

Just want to clarify something, if i have proof that i am from Mexico does that make me eligable at all to play for the Mexican team or do i have to try to play for the country i reside in?
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Help_Center

Based off of what I'm looking at, it is proof of residency. So if you really are from Mexico, that would mean that you could technically play for Mexico, provided you own a home there and you have a Mexican ID.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply