forum

Finally finished Toradora!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Gabi
You should PROBABLY SPOILER BOX that image and that last line of yours because you just ruined the whole fucking show for me

SPOILER
nah jk i've seen it. but yeah, just a tip :roll:
adam2046
Guys! Guys!

The two main characters in a romance anime END UP TOGETHER
I'M SO SURPRISED MY EYEBROWS HURT FROM BEING RAISED SO GOD DAMN HIGH
IppE

adam2046 wrote:

The two main characters in a romance anime END UP TOGETHER
I'M SO SURPRISED MY EYEBROWS HURT FROM BEING RAISED SO GOD DAMN HIGH
This

I mean goddamn, obvious plot is obvious.
Firo Prochainezo
The girl bitching about the guy who did nothing wrong, the girl got a crush on the guy, there is another girl who's horny and wants to fuck the guy, the first girl wins.

Kiss scene.

End.
maal

meronmyon wrote:

The girl bitching about the guy who did nothing wrong, the girl got a crush on the guy, there is another girl who's horny and wants to fuck the guy, the first girl wins.

Kiss scene.

End.
You're doing it wrong.
Firo Prochainezo
You're doing it wrong.
Tell me the right way, teacher.
Mogsy
Even if the romance was predictable, it's more about the journey getting to it. Besides, I quite enjoyed it for its romance aspects. I guess if you thought it was going to be a shitty school comedy, go watch more K-ON shit I guess.
Bestelle

Mogsworth wrote:

Even if the romance was predictable, it's more about the journey getting to it. Besides, I quite enjoyed it for its romance aspects. I guess if you thought it was going to be a shitty school comedy, go watch more K-ON shit I guess.
This
KRZY
This threadis fucking hilarious

not in a bad way
Dangaard
I expected some regular school anime with the typical character setup and I regarded this as a Shana copy before I watched this (concerning the protagonists). After I finished watching this I was probably as impressed as you are right now, and obviously it's somewhere in the top of my favorite list. I really enjoyed the characters in this show, the way they develop and express their thoughts and feelings, even the rather minor characters had some sort of development in their personality. Other than that the animation was sort of different/new and the soundtrack was really great.

One of those anime I don't get tired of rewatching multiple times. :D
Haneii
Wow...at least put the pic in the spoiler box :O. Thank goodness I've already seen Toradora but I hate spoilers >_<.
Great anime - loved the characters and soundtrack. Although I feel like the end was wrapped up too quickly; as if the last ep was just thrown in there for the sake of ending it at 25 eps.
Cuddlebun
I was considering watching the series to see if it was really worth the praise but now I won't bother. Thanks.
Wojjan
I stopped after the opening.
Galkan
Good anime, but with fucked up end of story.

WAT WAS DAT.
Rena-chan
Thank you so much for spoiling it for me !
Now I won't have to continue watching what I lost interest in !
The_Priest_In_Yellow

Priestess In Yellow wrote:

>implying you had any interest in it to begin with.
Shohei Ohtani
I started hating Torodora when it decided to appear in DJPop's only English map.
Bestelle
Any DJPop map has to magically turn weeaboo. What makes me laugh even more is that the source even says "Toradora!"
Ephemeral
how postmodern

self-reflexivity in beatmaps now
Rena-chan

The_Priest_In_Yellow wrote:

>implying you had any interest in it to begin with.
I kind of did, but then I forgot about it after that Christmas thing.
Topic Starter
YuiiMugii

I kind of did, but then I forgot about it after that Christmas thing.
The last episode is one that you could basically skip.
Only the first seven minutes is only worth watching.

Seeing as they never actually gave the anime an actually ending.
In a sense is ended the same was that AirGear did.
It was random but not very funny character interaction and camera change slowing showing the empty sky.
dkun

Gabi wrote:

You should PROBABLY SPOILER BOX that image and that last line of yours because you just ruined the whole fucking show for me

SPOILER
nah jk i've seen it. but yeah, just a tip :roll:
I just lol'd.
But looking from these mixed reviews... eh.
Ephemeral
just watch the first ten episodes and pretend all the others dont exist

it's pretty good for slice of life up until 11 then it just goes downhill
Mogsy
it's not pure slice of life, faggot, it's a romance show.
Ephemeral
it fails as a romance show

it is superior as a slice of life

I WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH OVER THIS MOGSWORTH
Mogsy
okay, then. Here's me typing at 2 AM on very little sleep and with class in the morning explaining it.

Sure, the romance in Toradora is predictable. You can see it coming from a mile away. However, the process of getting there is what matters, right? The initial interests of both main characters is completely wrong, but they remain persistent in trying to go for someone that is very obviously wrong for them in the eyes of a viewer. This is exactly like how high schoolers act when it comes to romance, even if it is in Japan. The subtle hints of growing interest continually drop throughout the series, and around halfway through the series (after episode 13, to be precise), these initial feelings start to blossom. One major player realizes this and tries to deny it, but ends up using the opportunity to remain close to the one she truly has feelings for. Every bit of romantic tension just builds up until, quite honestly, an unexpected yet extremely touching turn of events takes place. This is all just Taiga, for crying out loud.

Ryuji is probably more oblivious to the situation, because quite frankly, like most guys at that age and in that stage of their lives, they do not know what they truly want and are oblivious to what might be going on. He continues to pursue the wrong girl, despite being rejected many times along the way. The feelings for Taiga do develop ever so subtly as the series goes on, but being the generic teenager he is, he can't tell that his feelings for her are romantic until late in the series, despite less than subtle hints being dropped by people around him. Ryuji doesn't understand women, since he had never been romantically engaged with one. Sound like anybody you know in real life?

However, once Taiga and Ryuji 'confess' and run away together, the series stops being extremely relatable like it was before, but it developed afterward in quite the sweet way. I personally found the ending to be especially sweet, if not still perfectly in tune with the series' tone.

I would argue that this does slice of life just as well as it does romance, mostly because characters actually have depth and personality to them. Sure, Taiga is a tsundere, but she pulls it off in a way that actually made me like her more for it. Minori had her fair share of moments, and probably developed the most subtly out of the entire cast (but boy oh boy did she develop). Ami started off as the love-to-hate character, but as time went on, actually ended up becoming more tolerable of a person for being more sister-like to Ryuji instead of wanting his dick 24/7. He needed the talks that Ami gave him, and Ami slowly became able to be more mature and realistic, even if it came at the cost of sounding smug and arrogant. Kitamura...well, he certainly showed who mattered to him in the end.

The thing is, if you hate a romance that develops subtly, even inside all of the slice of life stuff, and then actually starts to blossom and have a conclusive ending...then just ignore Toradora. That's what gets me about Toradora: its main cast has a 2:3 ratio of boys to girls, and even then, it has a conclusive ending, one that makes sense, one that is enjoyable to get to. About halfway through the series it becomes very serious, yes, but it helps emphasize what the story really is about.

[/tiredmogsy]
Ephemeral
i did not start watching toradora because i wanted plot solidarity and an amusing narrative

i wanted to see a bunch of characters doing inane hilarious shit

that is why i am so disappointed in it
Firo Prochainezo

Mogsworth wrote:

okay, then. Here's me typing at 2 AM on very little sleep and with class in the morning explaining it.

Sure, the romance in Toradora is predictable. You can see it coming from a mile away. However, the process of getting there is what matters, right? The initial interests of both main characters is completely wrong, but they remain persistent in trying to go for someone that is very obviously wrong for them in the eyes of a viewer. This is exactly like how high schoolers act when it comes to romance, even if it is in Japan. The subtle hints of growing interest continually drop throughout the series, and around halfway through the series (after episode 13, to be precise), these initial feelings start to blossom. One major player realizes this and tries to deny it, but ends up using the opportunity to remain close to the one she truly has feelings for. Every bit of romantic tension just builds up until, quite honestly, an unexpected yet extremely touching turn of events takes place. This is all just Taiga, for crying out loud.

Ryuji is probably more oblivious to the situation, because quite frankly, like most guys at that age and in that stage of their lives, they do not know what they truly want and are oblivious to what might be going on. He continues to pursue the wrong girl, despite being rejected many times along the way. The feelings for Taiga do develop ever so subtly as the series goes on, but being the generic teenager he is, he can't tell that his feelings for her are romantic until late in the series, despite less than subtle hints being dropped by people around him. Ryuji doesn't understand women, since he had never been romantically engaged with one. Sound like anybody you know in real life?

However, once Taiga and Ryuji 'confess' and run away together, the series stops being extremely relatable like it was before, but it developed afterward in quite the sweet way. I personally found the ending to be especially sweet, if not still perfectly in tune with the series' tone.

I would argue that this does slice of life just as well as it does romance, mostly because characters actually have depth and personality to them. Sure, Taiga is a tsundere, but she pulls it off in a way that actually made me like her more for it. Minori had her fair share of moments, and probably developed the most subtly out of the entire cast (but boy oh boy did she develop). Ami started off as the love-to-hate character, but as time went on, actually ended up becoming more tolerable of a person for being more sister-like to Ryuji instead of wanting his dick 24/7. He needed the talks that Ami gave him, and Ami slowly became able to be more mature and realistic, even if it came at the cost of sounding smug and arrogant. Kitamura...well, he certainly showed who mattered to him in the end.

The thing is, if you hate a romance that develops subtly, even inside all of the slice of life stuff, and then actually starts to blossom and have a conclusive ending...then just ignore Toradora. That's what gets me about Toradora: its main cast has a 2:3 ratio of boys to girls, and even then, it has a conclusive ending, one that makes sense, one that is enjoyable to get to. About halfway through the series it becomes very serious, yes, but it helps emphasize what the story really is about.

[/tiredmogsy]
tl;dr

Still gonna hate it.
Mogsy

Ephemeral wrote:

i did not start watching toradora because i wanted plot solidarity and an amusing narrative

i wanted to see a bunch of characters doing inane hilarious shit

that is why i am so disappointed in it
Then you should've watched something else. Doesn't mean it was bad, it just means you had a different set of expectations.
Ephemeral
it was bad because it did not meet expectations!
Dangaard
it was good because it surpassed my expectations!