forum

[web] Necropost Warning

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +87
show more
abraker
If this will be a thing, I think there should be administrative control over this. This includes setting how long the non-necro period is and whether it is an unjustifiable section for a necro or not (in which case show the message). Additional options would include things like the original poster is allowed to necro (in the help section, for instance).
Topic Starter
Rilene

XinCrin wrote:

Great idea but people will not read the message and will post anyways xD
Anyways, I support this!
But at least it reduce the chance of necroposting. ;)

abraker wrote:

If this will be a thing, I think there should be administrative control over this. This includes setting how long the non-necro period is and whether it is an unjustifiable section for a necro or not (in which case show the message). Additional options would include things like the original poster is allowed to necro (in the help section, for instance).
Yes, agree all of them, especially the OP in the help section.
Endaris
Based on my experience a good amount of necroposts is intentional and wouldn't get stopped by a warning like that.
And I don't think shoving another message in the face of the unintentional necroposters would do a lot as they're obviously very unaware of everything in the first place.
Topic Starter
Rilene

Endaris wrote:

Based on my experience a good amount of necroposts is intentional and wouldn't get stopped by a warning like that.
And I don't think shoving another message in the face of the unintentional necroposters would do a lot as they're obviously very unaware of everything in the first place.
But mainly necroposts was there because they don't know the discussion were actually dead.

And the warning I mean is like this.

"Are you sure? The thread and it's discussion is no longer active."
With a confirmation box, of "Yes" and "No".

At least some percentage of users would know and may prevent reasonable amount of necroposting.
Just my two cents.
Bara-
Perhaps only add this in certain subforums?
Like "Resolved Issues" or "Completed Requests"
Topic Starter
Rilene

Baraatje123 wrote:

Perhaps only add this in certain subforums?
Like "Resolved Issues" or "Completed Requests"
Yes, just certain sub-forums would do.
Halogen-
I really like this idea. Users that are unaware about forum etiquette will be challenged to post things of value, and if they make a post without heeding the warning, forum moderation can settle things with those users appropriately if it continues to be a problem.

Honestly, it bothers me that more forums don't have a feature like this, haha.
Topic Starter
Rilene

Halogen- wrote:

I really like this idea. Users that are unaware about forum etiquette will be challenged to post things of value, and if they make a post without heeding the warning, forum moderation can settle things with those users appropriately if it continues to be a problem.

Honestly, it bothers me that more forums don't have a feature like this, haha.
Yeah, it somehow bothers me to see when they post on a dead thread without knowing that they were actually necropost.
Topic Starter
Rilene
Going to bump this thread.
Endaris

Rilene wrote:

pls stop necroposting :D
Topic Starter
Rilene

Endaris wrote:

Rilene wrote:

pls stop necroposting :D
lol plz
buny
How about just autolocking the thread after certain amount has passed, and the thread creator has the ability to unlock it themselves?

Most threads being necro'd are the ones that contain very outdated opinions and information anyway.
Topic Starter
Rilene

a loli wrote:

How about just autolocking the thread after certain amount has passed, and the thread creator has the ability to unlock it themselves?

Most threads being necro'd are the ones that contain very outdated opinions and information anyway.
Well, that's a nice addition, it would work too but not on certain sub-forums, auto-locking a beatmap's thread is probably a bad idea.
Maybe a warning when it's over a month and auto-lock when it's over a year would do too.
Bara-

a loli wrote:

This
crystalsuicune
Yes please.

The skins forum is hard to get through with all the necroposting by newbies
Topic Starter
Rilene

crystalsuicune wrote:

Yes please.

The skins forum is hard to get through with all the necroposting by newbies
Yeah, necropost is literally everywhere on that section.
Topic Starter
Rilene
Well, time for a bump.

Please note that this feature is meant only for warning to let some poster more aware of necroposting, I know there might be someone who intentionally necropost but there are some who are completely unaware of necroposting on the inactive threads.
Bara-
Hmm
Giving a warning that it's silencable will likely stop those intended-bumpers from doing it
Consider adding that as well?
Topic Starter
Rilene
That would definitely do to prevent necroposts.
But for intended-necroposters... Hm... This warning might only work on some chance.

The example on the first post is just an example, maybe it could be shortened lot more, I guess.
Stefan

a loli wrote:

That's a bad idea. the difference between a bump and a necropost is basically zero. Bump is a term, more used to "revive" the thread from the dead, while necropost is just a pointless bump. in short; Bump = mostly good, Necropost = bad bad bad

To the suggestion: Bumps can still happen to important threads - even after years. So it would lock threads which doesn't needs to be locked actually, and requires a moderator to unlock. I agree this often happens to outdated and rather pointless threads but it probably could cause issues too.

I'd stay with the original feature to put a warning before you can even post. I'd go with six months after the last post of the thread.

Beside of this we also could set a verification requirement for the very first time posting something somewhere.

Of course this may looks annoying for first but I know a lot of websites which forces you to confirm your mail address and a verification that you can post in the forums for example, or upload content. That is, like said a one-time thing you need to do in the forums and especially for the Skinning forum this would help to prevent users from pointless quote posts.
Dreamcast
Nice idea!
Topic Starter
Rilene

Stefan wrote:

Beside of this we also could set a verification requirement for the very first time posting something somewhere.

Of course this may looks annoying for first but I know a lot of websites which forces you to confirm your mail address and a verification that you can post in the forums for example, or upload content. That is, like said a one-time thing you need to do in the forums and especially for the Skinning forum this would help to prevent users from pointless quote posts.
This should do but it might add some work to moderators though. =<
Endie-
+1
It would be a nice addition to the forum
Topic Starter
Rilene
Just some bump.

plz dont consider this as necro
DeathHydra
If only every forum implement this...
Nathanael

Rilene wrote:

Just some bump.

plz dont consider this as necro
> Guidelines for bumping a feature request ;)

DeathAdderz wrote:

If only every forum implement this...
It's a good idea but I'm sure some people will definitely ignore the warning just to make a post though.
Topic Starter
Rilene
well, i thought bumping is ok but anyway, this feature request is just to reduce the change of necroposting or just to make people aware of it, it may not completely stop necroposting though
Halogen-

Rilene wrote:

well, i thought bumping is ok but anyway, this feature request is just to reduce the change of necroposting or just to make people aware of it, it may not completely stop necroposting though
It might not stop it, but users who ignore the warning and do it anyway forfeit their right to claim that they didn't realize it was a necropost, and therefore, can be set a punishment with no hope of argumentatively contesting it.
Pawsu
I think it's a good use for Archived threads in Help. It would be nice to have an add on there that says..."You are about to bump an archived thread. If you need help, make a new thread for your problem." or something on the lines of that
_handholding
I'm pretty sure the difference would be negligible as most people necropost intentionally do it to troll
Topic Starter
Rilene
*cough*

Kisses wrote:

I'm pretty sure the difference would be negligible as most people necropost intentionally do it to troll
At least there are forum newbies who do not know about this and is not trolling.

Pawsu wrote:

I think it's a good use for Archived threads in Help. It would be nice to have an add on there that says..."You are about to bump an archived thread. If you need help, make a new thread for your problem." or something on the lines of that
That would do nicely or... Make specific messages or requirement for the warning to appear in some subforums.
Topic Starter
Rilene
Ok, bump again.