forum

Beatmap Making Contests?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
As the title says, what do you guys think about Beatmap Making Contests?
Basically, a topic is made, and a theme is given (Rock, Pop, etc.) and anyone can choose a song that fits the theme, and maps it. The best made one wins, and is automatically ranked, and, oh I don't know, the creator gets an A+ and a gold star.
So, what do you think? Yay or nay?
Echo
If someone is willing to organize it, and you talk it over with peppy about how to integrate it with osu, then I'm sure it'll work fine.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I have no idea how to integrate it with osu. But thanks.
peppy
I'd say the song should be made standard, rather than giving choice. Would be a lot more interesting to see different people's takes on the rhythm lines in the song.
Gemi
I've held a few chart making competitions for dance gamers earlier, and we had great success with using a small number of songs, usually 3-5 depending on the amount of expected participants. It's a lot easier to judge when you just give one choice for the song, but people tend to have very different music tastes and limiting the choice to just one drives those people away from the contest who don't like the song, since it really is hard and horrible to try to make a chart/beatmap to a song that you don't like. With a small list of choices more people take part and it's still fairly easy to judge the choices, although it might be hard to decide on the actual goodness of some very great entries compared to the great entries in different songs.
LuigiHann
What if it's a band-based contest? More specific than genre, but more freedom than choosing the song. Especially if it's one of the more prolific bands, with a lot of variety between their songs, but still a consistent style.
awp

LuigiHann wrote:

What if it's a band-based contest? More specific than genre, but more freedom than choosing the song. Especially if it's Queen, and I can convince awp to do Bohemian Rhapsody.
I could see that working. I still find the specific song idea a more intriguing take on the contest though.
Gemi
If you select one band, it's still limiting to just one music style, narrowing out a lot of contestants. That's why we use 3-5 songs with different genres.
awp
unless that band has what we call variety
Gemi
In that case selecting just the band would allow mappers to take even more varied songs than just selecting 3 songs for them to use, causing a lot of trouble with judging. Selecting an artist like Kyle Ward for example would result in a dozen or two different songs being used for beatmaps, making comparing them really difficult for the judges.
James
< autolose
Rolled
I was thinking of something similar, with maybe making like a Collab map packish type thing. One song, and a difficulty from a lot of different players. Thinking of that got me thinking of a competition like that, but I figured whoever hosted it would obviously be very opinionated, and have their own preffered style of beatmapping. So I think there should be a few judges if this does eventually get off the ground. Take timing, spacing, and the other pre-mapping things into consideration before judging the ACTUAL map. A rubric of how they'll be graded will be a good idea, also.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Wow, I need to pay attention to my own topics.
Anyway, these all sound like awesome ideas. I do like the idea of having one band, because a band like Queens of the Stone Age would work, because they have variety in there songs.
Saturos
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
Oh yeah! I was gonna say that, cause I had it on my mind. Yeah, I was gonna say that there should be provided timing, so even the bad timers can do it without fear.
LimeGreenTeknii
I like the idea of this. If this is going to be a regular thing, I'm going to be happy!
LuigiHann
I was thinking about this, and now I do agree that having each contest focus on a single song would be the most exciting and fun way to do it.
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

I was thinking about this, and now I do agree that having each contest focus on a single song would be the most exciting and fun way to do it.
I thought that people generally were agreeing on having 3 or so songs to have some variation, but not too much.
Topic Starter
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I think having one song would be kinda fun, but I say that only the winner should be submitted and ranked.
I mean, we don't want this to make about 14 RSG-a-likes do we?
kingcobra52
I'd be 100% for something like this as well. I also agree with having just a single song rather than an artist. There's some other things that need addressing though:

-The song, of course. It would need to be pretty straight forward and osu friendly with the rhythms and such. I thinking the song should be something very well known that hasn't been mapped already so it would appeal to more people.

-Which/how many difficulties? I'm guessing either just normal, or an easy, normal, and hard.

-Who would do the judging? Will we have 'officials' like with the osu tournament, or will everyone not in the contest be able to judge? (maybe via polls or something similar). I'm guessing the former.

-What is the judging based on? Will visual/auditory elements (video, storyboard, custom sounds, etc.) be a factor in which beatmap comes out on top, or will it be solely based on the map itself? If the former, then people who don't know how to add these things in (esp. storyboard) will be at a disadvantage.

Once we decide these things, the contest would be a go I think, and you can count me in as well. :)
show more