forum

Retrying vs. Not Retrying

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xayne
What are the pros and cons of each? I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm hard on myself performance wise. So if I feel like I should FC a map, I have a hard time not instantly retrying a map after a shit miss. Other than not getting much practice in the later sections of the map, is there really much downside to retrying on maps that are FC-able?
pandaBee
Retrying costs peppy osu coins. Unless you've sacrificed your firstborn to the overlord.
chainpullz

Xayne wrote:

What are the pros and cons of each? I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm hard on myself performance wise. So if I feel like I should FC a map, I have a hard time not instantly retrying a map after a shit miss. Other than not getting much practice in the later sections of the map, is there really much downside to retrying on maps that are FC-able?
Tilt and hurts your consistency.
Karuta-_old_1
retrying hurts your consistency because you are telling yourself that you can retry right away
meteor22
retry if you want to be a pro

don't retry if you want to stay noob
Bauxe
retry if you want to stay noob

don't retry if you want to be a pro
-Makishima S-
retry if 100 in first 100 notes, else keep playing
I Give Up
only retry spam after you memorise hard parts of map
Endaris
Play more multiplayer.
Rilene

Endaris wrote:

Play more multiplayer.
strenu
I find retryin naab, i just play always the whole song through despite gettin shitmisses, then change song after playin it out 2 times max. I don't understand ppl who can play the same song out 5+ times.. just blows mi mind
Karuta-_old_1

strenu wrote:

I find retryin naab, i just play always the whole song through despite gettin shitmisses, then change song after playin it out 2 times max. I don't understand ppl who can play the same song out 5+ times.. just blows mi mind
yeah I can't be bothered after I play until the end a few times... and people can retry at the same spot for 20 times
Top Bunk
I'm awful at following my own advice, but just play through. Otherwise you'll just end up retrying so often that you get worse every single play until you can't even hit the first 10 circles without shit missing, like what happens to me by the 10th-15th retry every time.
abraker
If you miss once in the first 20 notes, just stop and move on.
7ambda
Retry = pp

No Retry = plz enjoy game
leepdesu

abraker wrote:

If you miss once in the first 20 notes, just stop playing the game.
Top Bunk

-LeeP- wrote:

abraker wrote:

Well that's rather extreme for an issue that only occurs from retrying too often. Simply taking a break for 5-10 minutes or moving onto a different song is enough to solve the problem.
Rilene

Top Bunk wrote:

-LeeP- wrote:

Well that's rather extreme for an issue that only occurs from retrying too often. Simply taking a break for 5-10 minutes or moving onto a different song is enough to solve the problem.
You just replied seriously to a sarcasm.
Top Bunk

Sirade wrote:

Sarcmark is always needed in these instances.
Rilene

Top Bunk wrote:

Sirade wrote:

Sarcmark is always needed in these instances.
Oh.
A Medic
With every retry you tilt about 17 degrees.
-Ene-_old_1
Retrying over and over get's boring really fast. Cycle maps with songs you like and retry them that way
tfg50
You guys are weak, I have some #50 scores that came from not playing the map ever to 40-100 retries straight. No Kappa
That being said, if you always miss at the same spot and you just want a fc, I'd say that memorizing that spot and retrying doesn't hurt your consistency, it actually improves it. Unless you tilt easily.

Also to the people saying if you miss the first 20 notes stop playing.... I have TONS and TONS of scores from multiplayer that I ended up missing on the first 50 notes and fced the rest. On maps that have an easy beginning. It happens so often to me that when I play multi I just need to accept that I might never fc the start of a map.
Top Bunk

tfg50 wrote:

You guys are weak, I have some #50 scores that came from not playing the map ever to 40-100 retries straight. No Kappa
That being said, if you always miss at the same spot and you just want a fc, I'd say that memorizing that spot and retrying doesn't hurt your consistency, it actually improves it. Unless you tilt easily.

Also to the people saying if you miss the first 20 notes stop playing.... I have TONS and TONS of scores from multiplayer that I ended up missing on the first 50 notes and fced the rest. On maps that have an easy beginning. It happens so often to me that when I play multi I just need to accept that I might never fc the start of a map.
What if the missed spot is rarely ever the same spot. I'm one of those players who always ends up with a miss in a different spot. That's also part of why I tend to retry too often, because I feel like I shouldn't have gotten that miss. So I'll get past it fine the next time, but then miss on a part that I didn't miss on the last several tries.
Also, I never really understood tilting. Like, is it even possible for me to tilt when I play while laying down in bed.

The whole missing on the first 20 notes comes from it happening after retrying way too often. In multiplayer you only have one shot at the song, so you're forced to play through any mistakes regardless. If you got misses within the first 20 notes from only playing the map a few times playing on your own, then I'd say go ahead and keep trying. But if you were capable of getting past it the first 15 times or so that you played the map and THEN you keep screwing up, then it's time to take a break or move onto a different song. There's no sense in continuing the same thing over and over again if you can clearly tell yourself you're getting worse at it and know that it's not helping any to keep retrying.
show more