forum

Do you guys have self-made rules that you follow in osu!?

posted
Total Posts
show more
I Give Up
Do you guys have self-made rules that you follow in osu!?
no
ZenithPhantasm
Yes these are my rules for myself:
1. Dont play AR10-11 unless Im starting to go crazy from AR8
2. Always start out the day with AR8+CS5 old shitmaps
3. Drink coffee and take modafinil
4. Relax and try to read instead of mash
chainpullz
1. Nap
2. Anime
3. Nap some more
4. Go to sleep
Jeffrey
- When approaching the end of an FC map, take deep breaths and lower heart rate to prevent chokes
- Look at beats individually for better aim fk square jumps
- Never retry more than 10 times in a row unless I'm confident I can FC
- Play through an entire song to get familiar with the patterns

Most of all:
Fun > pp
E m i
warm up acc before playing a map i might be able to fc so i don't accidentally fc with bad acc and then spend hours on it just to never fc again ._.
Pitreq
- Don't retry more than 10 times
- Focus on everynote because my reading is bad
- When I have a 100% bad osu day, I don't even insist on playing because the only thing it causes is tilt. Most of times I give up and go to watch a movie/anime etc
Endaris

Pitreq wrote:

100% of times I give up and go to watch anime
ftfy :D
StephOsu
stated rules (which i tell myself all the time)
- stop retrying *look at my 200 retries per beatmap* STOP RETRYING
- warm up with my favorite songs ^_^
- Clear my "Beatmaps I want to FC" list while expanding it at the same time

unstated rules (probably thanks to my bad habits/memory)
- choke on the final part of the beatmap, and then finally full combo it with really really bad accuracy
- miss on the easiest part of the map
- readjust my tap speed during stream/stacks into the 100/50 area instead of the 300 area
- whenever god mode activates, i have to choke failing the beatmap after the god mode ends which usually only last several seconds
- shitmiss the first note for every AR<8 BPM<160 beatmaps and gain +1~5 retry count(before ragequitting sometimes)

thanks body
Risa
1) Play like shit.
2) Uninstall and quit the game. I WIN

Anyways find someone who is a better version of u and aim to catch up / surpass that person.
rrtyui looked up to C last time ( dk abt now ) and was always trying to catch up to him.
ZenithPhantasm

Reset- wrote:

1) Play like shit.

Anyways find someone who is a better version of u and aim to catch up / surpass that person.
rrtyui looked up to C last time ( dk abt now ) and was always trying to catch up to him.
Everyone wants to look up to C but so few people would actually catch up to what he has accomplished if ever. The dude makes $$ from his hobby.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Reset- wrote:

1) Play like shit.

Everyone wants to look up to C but so few people would actually catch up to what he has accomplished if ever. The dude makes $$ from his hobby.
The best part is he gets so much stream traffic that it honestly doesn't matter if he stays banned. He'd just be like one of the many streamers who choose not to play as a "professional" (ie. cash prize tournaments) but still make a killing off of streaming anyways.
-Makishima S-
Everyone wants to look up to C
*look up for Index, Azer, Xilver, Bikko pictures*

- don't retry more than 3 times
- play a lot long maps
- warmup on changed ar7 od10 marathons
- don't use mods for progression (exept hidden from time to time)
- play moe
Salytmacska
Consciously take care about my wrist and tapping finger to make sure they are not tensed up.
1 play session/day.
1 AR7/day because I can brag about being able to read lower ARs.

Fortunately I don't have too much bad habits that needs to be limited by rules :D
I Give Up

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Everyone wants to look up to C
no
Zalaria

Momiji wrote:

warm up acc before playing a map i might be able to fc so i don't accidentally fc with bad acc and then spend hours on it just to never fc again ._.
So Much This... Because its like I can only ever fc maps once.
Topic Starter
timemon

Jeffrey wrote:

Most of all: Fun > pp
pp = fun :p
Infevo
-Try to keep myself challenged passing hard things
-Spam maps I am stupidly obsessed with
-Enjoy my progress, enjoy the music, enjoy the mapping

I wouldn't say I always conciously follow these things. It is just my preference how I usually like to approach the game. Wouldn't speak of "rules".
otoed1
The only rule anyone should bother with is no mashing. Maybe having fun should be a rule, but thats on a person by person basis.
pandaBee
I play every map that I play at least twice, but not more than four times, unless the map is ass.
No retries, ever unless there's a really tricky part in the beginning that I'm trying to learn (I hate it when maps have this).
Hydra105
Mostly just don't get focused on one map and think you're terrible because you could do it yesterday, but for some reason you're shit today. It's pretty bizarre how in one session you can be awful at most maps you normally play, but end up getting a godly score at a map you're normally awful at.

Go for a large range of maps
VirtualMuffin
Once I've fc'd so many at a current pp consistently. I'll never play at that range again unless i can guaranteed a solid top 50.

This is a recent rule i've set (past two weeks). I was in a habit of just playing stuff because I was scared of higher difficulties. It was fun for a while but I really slowed my progression down a ton!
those
Mouse only
Multtari
3pp per day. Not too hard but needs some playing to get done. If the quota isn't met the remaining PP will transfer to next day and adds up.
Roxy Lalonde
You've stumbled upon Proph's self-rule list. Have a look!

1.) NEVER GIVE UP. You can call a map too hard, or call an osu! session a day, but don't resist the fact that you improve with each and every play. All the time.
2.) Being tired is fine. Being sweaty and panting is not, so take a break and drink water occasionally.
3.) Play osu! bidaily. My short-term memory of osu! playing takes around 24 hours to cool off, so every other day I play fresh anew.
4.) Start a new session by playing a challenging map, but one that you can FC within 1-2 tries.
5.) When in doubt for playing maps, avoid favorites and hit F2.
6.) 1-2 retries is ideal. I'd only go past that if I KNOW that I am capable of setting a notable score for sure.
7.) Download at least 1 new beatmap every session. (multis help)
8.) Know your limits, and challenge them. It is not really very rewarding to "challenge your limits" by playing high star maps far beyond your skill.
9.) Play all kinds of maps. Stream maps, jump maps, marathons, control-based pattern maps, etc.

10.) Always, ALWAYS follow the slider to the end. Unless the map is explicitly designed to utilize follow circle ranges, follow all of them.
11.) It's helpful to read the first note of a stream very closely.
12.) Loss prevention is only for really hard parts. Play mostly for accuracy.
13.) Repeater Sliders that are longer than a little bud should be followed.
14.) Remember to properly stream United.
15.) Learn to love all the music as well as all the kinds of mapping (including 2006 mapping)
16.) Holding super fast repeater sliders should be based off of the beat, but when in doubt sightread the next note and only transition when it's time.
17.) Never mash triples or doubles.
18.) All jumps must be made on snap-reposition motions. No smooth sailing when it comes to jumps.
19.) All streams must be made on smooth sailing motions. Only snap the first note if you desire, and hanZeR-esque double-jump streams are not streams but jumps rather.
20.) Mods are situational. Players should mostly work on general, base skills in osu!.
21.) Don't avoid CS5+.

Lastly, as what I'd consider the most important rule...

22.) Find your motivation and keep it. Friends, fun, music. You learn how to be modest with people and music (as well as not infinitely raging on games), while boosting your progression far faster than any trick or any practice would ever do, in any game ever.
E m i

Proph Nobster wrote:

wtf
will i be able to pass star platinum if i do all that
Risa
Roxy Lalonde

Momiji wrote:

Proph Nobster wrote:

wtf
will i be able to pass star platinum if i do all that
hell yeah
Mackey
What I do is play osu! everday at least 7-8 hours and farm pp at midnight. Also I always repeat same beatmap until I get the satisfying results.
Topic Starter
timemon

Mackey wrote:

What I do is play osu! everday at least 7-8 hours and farm pp at midnight. Also I always repeat same beatmap until I get the satisfying results.
How do you manage pain and fatigue? I can handle osu 2 hours top before I start to feel a little stiffness in my wrist. Also I play like shit if I'm sleepy x.x
chainpullz

timemon wrote:

Mackey wrote:

How do you manage pain and fatigue? I can handle osu 2 hours top before I start to feel a little stiffness in my wrist. Also I play like shit if I'm sleepy x.x
Idk, maybe don't hit your keyboard as hard?
Mackey

timemon wrote:

Mackey wrote:

I always keep my posture while sitting in comfortable and correct way. That way I won't get any pain on my wrist.
tfg50

Mackey wrote:

I always keep my posture while sitting in comfortable and correct way. That way I won't get any pain on my wrist.
You are probably just playing things that are too hard for you to play without getting tired. I can play for 10 hours straight if I play my "common" maps but I can't handle 1 hour of my speed maps without getting tired.
31Gabe
Never play osu!mania beatmaps containing hands (3+ note presses); they give an unfair disadvantage to dance mat players.

All of my osu!mania beatmaps have no hands, and are meant for dance mat play.
abraker
hmm...
1) Don't delete maps unless I am running out of space
  • I never deleted any of the maps I got since first joining osu! and am not planning to delete any soon. I still haven't played like 50% of the maps I have, so I don't really browse the beatmap listing that much unless I am looking for something specific.
2) An S in an autoconvert and never see it again (unless multi)
  • Let's face it, autoconverts are bad. Keeping them unplayed is also bad, at least for my sanity. Also sometimes I need a break from mania specific maps, and just chill on random cluster fucks. Until play until I S them, then hope to never see them again.
3) Play at least once a week
  • To not loose skill.
4) Go on multi at least once a month
  • I need a break from solo at some point. Playing against my scores is a bit stressful, it's like eating the same food everyday. You just start hating it.
5) Play all gamemodes at least once every year
  • I end up doing this regardless because I sometimes want to take a break from mania, but still want to keep myself in osu!
6) Take a snapshot of the ranking graph in my main gamemode every 90 days
  • For keeping history of my improvement
7) Record major achievements/progress in my osu! history log
  • For keeping a detailed history of my influence in osu!
8) The first time I pass a map I couldn't pass since 6 months of trying to pass it needs a screenshot of the results screen
  • It's a big moment for me, I finally see a light
9) A star difficulty breakthrough needs a results screen screenshot and replay export
  • That's when I take a screenshot, export, and call it day, patting myself on the back.
10) Always have osu! open when computer is on
  • If anyone wants to message me, I have osu! always open so that I see the messages when I come back. I could use an IRC but haven't found a good free one yet.
Sh0keR
ma only rul is to enjy gaemu
Rilene
1/ Play a map.
2/ Use EZ at least 50% of every play.
3/ Use HT at least 50% of every play.
4/ EZHTHD on furioso melodia.
5/ Retry.
6/ Play more.
7/ Repeat.
?/ ???

Results: osu! daily routine completed.
balldoowell
Dont go anywhere near multi unless you're on adderall
ZenithPhantasm

balldoowell wrote:

Dont go anywhere near multi unless you're on adderall
Who needs adderall when I have modafinil 8-)
sleep is for the weak 8-)
vsprite
I dont play a map for than 3-5 times unless im really determined to avoid tilt. At the first sign of missing easy notes i move on immediately.
Topic Starter
timemon

vsprite wrote:

I dont play a map for than 3-5 times unless im really determined to avoid tilt. At the first sign of missing easy notes i move on immediately.
"This time it will be different!"
*Retries for the 400th time*
show more