forum

Top 11 Annoying Things in osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SubZ
To say osu is a fantastic game is an understatement. The game has made a huge blast ever since it's initial 2007 launch and gathered an incredible community, however as with every thing that exists they're some things in it's contents that make you sigh. This isn't limited to the game mechanics, this may be the things that many community members/mappers/developers do etc. Finally please don't take this list too seriously, this stems from personal opinion more than anything and osu is one of my favourite games of all times so i'm not a biased troll.

SPOILER
11. Old beatmaps - Yes, i know this is unavoidable. But back in 2009 or so when user created maps were an ever growing thing, it was tricky for a lot of people to understand how to make a beatmap consistent and enjoyable. That's why you'll often see beatmaps with awkward sized circles, randomly placed spinners and awkwardly long sliders in the backpages of osu beatmaps. Granted this is equally the case with many pending and graveyard beatmaps but I often get frustrated with certain oldies.
SPOILER
10. Favourite song's beatmap limitation - This one is only really limited to people with a bit less skill at the game, but I always feel a bit disappointed when songs by some of my fav artists such as Stan SB, Dragonforce and Renard only have beatmaps available that only the pros can pull off. Yes maybe it does give me a bit of inspiration to do better, but come on I always love to see an easy,medium and hard difficulty for all maps. It also brings my annoyance to a boil when my favourite songs only have CTB/Mania/Taiko maps only and no way to play them no standard. I wanna do them on every mode dammit stop locking me out..
SPOILER
9. Distractions - When you're trying a difficult beatmap, the last thing you want to hear is the Facebook "Badoop" or the Skype "A-wah". Sometimes that can be all it takes to throw off your concentration and cause that dreaded miss sound. I have this even worse living with a family of 4 that always seem to pick their moment to come in halfway through my gorgeous SS run and ask the most mundane questions to me. Ended up making a huge " do not disturb" sign to stick on the door
SPOILER
8. People that don't skip the intro in multi - Oh my god this gets under my skin for some reason. When i hit ready in multi, I wanna play. I feel the raw adrenaline as I prepare to do battle with those evil circles, but I have to wait 30 seconds because somebody refuses to smack the space bar for us. Come on! We all either know how the intro goes or don't care, let us play! I understand if it's a song you like, but please be considerate that there's probably about 3 other people there mashing skip.
SPOILER
7. Tilt - The most psychologically destroying thing that can happen to you on osu. You mess up a large combo after a lot of build-up, and don't take it well. You say to yourself "Gotta make up for that dammit!" and proceed to play a number of beatmaps trying to get that SS you were just about to earn, but it won't happen. You've let rage take over, you are more Anger than human at this point, and Anger is a scrub at the game.
SPOILER
6. Host-Hogs in multi - I don't know if this annoys anyone else, but I believe that all osu lobbies should at least have some level of host rotation. We don't want have to play your entire back-catalogue of dodgy beatmaps. Let me have a turn. Even worse when they won't turn free mods on, yes it creates a level battlefield but I enjoy always having hard rock for those easier songs. Please don't take that away from me.
SPOILER
5. osu drama - it's always sad when two people in a community can't get along. Now while it's the same in every community and the osu fandom is one of the best I've ever seen, it always saddens me a bit to see trolls in places like #osu and the forums stirring up a bit of banter and causing rifts in people. It's like a big family argument that I have to block out by running into my room with big headphones.
SPOILER
4. Troll maps - This one can only really be applicable to multi, but the amount of times someone with a name similar to "XxxMLGSlayerBoiixXX" has set the map as his dank Smoke Weed Everyday graveyard map and had us all go through the first five seconds of spasticated finger smacking before screaming out and quitting. The amount of these you see on pending are ridiculous. What you expect us to play these? These maps you've put no effort in and made just to be a pain? Well I'm not going to, I'm going to practice and save my energy for real pro skill beatmaps. Such as Knife Party - Centipede.
SPOILER
3. Adapting to new sensitivity - This is cursed my existence so much in my osu time. Do I play on full area or portion? I'll never know, and it seems everytime I try something new no matter how many times I try to go with it, i can never adapt. I've been stuck with full area for ages now because I cant adapt to anything else. It's even worse for people that constantly change the screen resolution and use different pieces of hardware for osu. It's a struggle that can't be avoided, but is a right pain.
SPOILER
2. Upgrading technology - Now a lot of people are going to disagree with this one. They'll tell me "No Chris you stupid piece of garbage, you can play just fine with a mouse and rubberdome keyboard you just suck lel gitgudskrub". But come on, if you wanna clear the challenge maps to osu, it's gonna really help to have the floaty power of a tablet pen and you'll definitely need the light tapping effectiveness of a mechanical keyboard. I've been using this awful rubbedome for my entire time on osu and find my fingers ache after a very short session. Sat here dreaming of a Blackwidow so I may feel the ecstasy of tickling the key down rather than the powerful stab i have to give my keys now.
SPOILER
1 - Combo Drops - We've all been there and we've all cried from it. Yes, we've come so near to SS'ing that beatmap, but come yet so far by misreading the chart or finding your hand is almost falling off, causing that dreaded debate of hand to eye. This is what spawns that already mentioned "tilt" and causes such horrible mental scars. Maybe to the point where you never want to touch that beatmap ever again.
So what are your pet-peeves for osu? Which get under your skin more than anything else? Let me know so i can mutually feel your pain with you. and of course I'm going to get a comment off an absolute genius going down my list and pointing out all my foibles and problems with the entries so I'll anticipate that.

But thank you so much for reading and giving this half an hour of writing some meaning :3
Rilene
Nice fact you got there.
IppE
spoiler tags
Railey2
11: you can avoid old beatmaps just fine
10: there are more than enough easy maps (more than harder maps actually, so..)
9: you can avoid getting distracted just fine
8: dude just listen to the music
7: If you get angry you are doing it wrong
6: That happened to me 1 time in 7 months :I usually people like letting other people host, because that way they get new songs too
5: Thats like the essence of being human and dealing with other humans. You should get used to it
4: ....
3: Just stick with 1 setting. Adjusting to that setting is part of the struggle to get good.
2: Personally I can play with my shitty laptop keyboard just fine, but you do have a point here. Better equipment helps a lot although not to a point where it annoys me that I am stuck playing with sub-par equip, because money is expensive or something.
1: Agreed. Fuck that shit.
fat pear
11. you can avoid it just go to the beatmaps page?
10. git gud (:
9. turn off those sounds
8. be patient
7. git gud (:
6. you play a lot of multi, you should play solo for once mate
5. What the hell did you just FREAKING say about me, you disgusting imbecile? Before I mentally scar you with my sentences, I'll have you know the FBI is under MY control and I am part of the army. So if you talk back, your life is going to be doomed forever. Anyway, did your parents even treat you properly? Did you get an education? Because it looks like you didn't. So why don't you shut your mouth before you get banished to jail.
4. Stop going on multi jesus christ mate. that is easily avoidable.
3. git gud (:

I wrote:

play mouse-only you wimps
1. git gud (:

i have found the solution to all of those things. bow to me
piruchan
Tfw you 1x100 on the very last circle.
kirueggy
1. SaigonAlice
Trash Boat

kirueggy wrote:

1. Kheldragar
-sev
dumb motherfuckers
abraker
11. Old beatmaps - Very true, though some maps even now are horrible for artificially upping the difficulty.
10. fav song limit - The limit got recently doubl-- oh wait...
9. Distractions - Blinking and Lag spikes too
8. Don't skip the intro - Intro is 30 sec, time to spam z/x keys ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
7. Tilt - I still can't adjust to my dorm's table height, it just doesn't allow me to press keys as efficiently
6. Host-Hogs - Ok this I don't agree on. It's up to the host(s) to rotate or not. Depending on their choice(s) it would be a full lobby or totally vacant. If you don't like it, go to another lobby, make your own, or play solo
5. osu drama - That is expected in a game that encourages user interaction. The controversial topics on how to map properly, should X really been banned, privilege abuse by a well known member, and doubt within the system makes a lot of room for such things.
4. Troll maps - Sometimes it's actually funny, but most of them just litter peppy's server space
3. sensitivity - Yea... hate it
2. technology - Read my current sig... it's painful to play 5* mania on.
1. Combo - The scoring system might need some work, but at this point it's been there for long enough to dismiss that idea. The only option is to get better at not choking
Cyclohexane

IppE wrote:

spoiler tags

i am too late
Zalaria
My top score list is full of tilt, sadly.
Flaus

SubZ XD wrote:

some of my fav artists such as Stan SB, Dragonforce and Renard
lol

OT: RP in #osu!
-NikoNiko-
11-1: streams
I just hate them, I don't know why.
chaee
People that can't time their maps properly
Syphist
11. Understandable, no one really knew how to make intuitive maps back then
10. Get good. All rhythm games have over the top maps or charts that only pros can play. I still can't play Image Material (the song sounds cool) and I don't complain. Also those other game modes have locked maps for a reason. Mania and taiko converted maps can easily be shit tier, and converted maps on CtB can be filled with bullshit. Learn to play the other modes if you really wanna play your favorite songs, or map them yourself.
9. If you fixed this why are you still complaining about it?
8. I hate this too. Honestly, multi is more about interacting with others and playing than it is the music. If you don't wanna skip, play solo or find friends that also like to listen to the intro and play with them.
7. Just play for fun then. Then you won't hate it as much.
6. Viewer lobbies and such for twitch don't do host rotation, it's up to the lobby owner. If you don't like it, leave. I will agree with free mods though. I'm in it for the fun rather than competition. The exception is if the lobby is strictly for competition.
5. This is bound to happen. Just leave #osu and ignore the trolls. All other drama like x pro player hates y pro player or something is annoying though. The people that run with the opinions presented and end up making it a huge deal are the worst though.
4. Troll maps are hilarious. They just need effort put into them. Plus they have no place in multi outside of a private lobby.
3. Choose something and stick with it. You'll get used to it and build muscle memory.
2. Git gud. ExGon is god like on CtB and one of the best EZ players on osu. As far as I know he plays on a shit PC with shit peripherals. If he can be a 2k, so can you. Also a tablet doesn't really help you that much. It just makes you learn slightly faster.
1. That's because peppy is too busy doing unnecessary visual upgrades instead of fixing the flaws in the core mechanics of the game. Accuracy should be way more important than combo, but nope, it's quite the opposite.

Honestly if you wanna get good at this game play other rhythm games without a flawed meta like iidx, sdvx, stepmania, heck even the mania and taiko modes are decent. You'll learn core mechanics to a rhythm game that osu does a very poor job of teaching.