forum

Anime you thought was going to be bad but turned out good.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pituophis
What are some anime that you thought was going to be bad, but it turned out that you liked it?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I don't usually like moe magical girl stuff, but this surprised me.

And Kill la Kill, saw the animation quality thought it was going to be terrible. Turned out to terrible in a good way, I loved it.
kirueggy
AKB0048, I thought it would just be some shitty knockoff of actual irl AKB48 and a pathetic attempt at making them animated but whoa nelly was I caught off guard.

Takamina and Yuuko <3
Mark Wolff
Nagi no Asukara turned out to be something else to me. I thought that it was just a casual school life anime, but wow it really was something different. It turned out to be one of my favorite animes of all time
Green Platinum
Uchouten Kazoku: The arthouse film of TV anime. Loved by critics but not so much by ordinary fans. If you described the plot to me I wouldn't have guess how much I love it.

Mawaru Penguindrum: The beginning is almost entirely cringe and filler comedy it is the second half where they call back on all the subtleties from the first half for it's grand resolution and conclusion.

Kill la Kill: Knew about the team behind it but wasn't sold on the beginning with all the fanservice and episodic format with all the club battles.

Kyosougiga: Kinda similar to Uchouten Kazoku, Colourful visuals and great scenes this series came out of nowhere so I didn't expect much from it.

Chihayafuru: The flash back episodes at the start didn't help, I also assumed the content would be boring.

Ping Pong the animation: The art was a huge turn off also Table tennis doesn't interest me.

Kimi to Boku: Because since when has an all male slice of life been good to watch?

Bakuman: I admit when this first aired I didn't pick it up because the scenario didn't sound too amazing.

Tsuritama: Really annoying characters.

Phi-Brain: Didn't think drama about solving puzzles would be this enthralling.
Navizel
Didn't really find Nagi no Asukara bad. It's just average. And then it became 5x better.

Turned off by Kill la Kill's animation and I dropped it. Picked it up again and I actually enjoyed it. Same with Prison School and Shimoneta I guess.

I think I have more instances of the other way around.
Green Platinum
I personally think of Nagi no Asakura is similar to Madoka in the fact that there are hints at it being a diamond at the start. It's just easy to miss and you may not realise how good it is until later on. I recall enjoying it fairly early on, just loving it more later after The time leap.
OsuBanZai
Love Live! - No seriously I thought this anime was going to be totally shit but noooooooooo! The plot was really REALLY good and their OST is pleasant to listen to plus very catchy! Its one of my favourite anime after K-ON!.
CuticleThong
HS DxD - Previously I see this anime was a generic harem anime, BUT in later story this series is getting serious, not just a tons of harems lolol
Danmachi - Previously I reject this due to the hype, but decided to watch when the hype is over
Green Platinum

CuticleThong wrote:

HS DxD - Previously I see this anime was a generic harem anime, BUT in later story this series is getting serious, not just a tons of harems lolol
Danmachi - Previously I reject this due to the hype, but decided to watch when the hype is over
But DxD's story is horribly bad
Starfall9908
Code Geass.

I ended up watching it because a friend promised he would watch Inu X Boku SS if I watched code Geass. The art was pretty much weird but the plot was good
Shinobi
Zetsuen No Tempest: The Civilization Blaster : Was completely out of ideas on what to watch next, Seen this on a 'Top 50 Anime' List and decided to give it a watch. Turned out amazing.
Nub1
Black Bullet and Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai

well its not really that good but its not bad either
Risa
Steins;Gate

I got so bored of it at first that i took 6 months to watch the first half but finished the other half in a day
Shota
Prison School; I thought it was going to be some shit anime due to the cover. But, really it's pretty funny. Seems like it mocks hentai and a lot of facial expressions. It reminds me a lot of Bakemonogatari tbh. But, it's more.. blunt on the sexual theme. But, I still would only rate it 5/10. Not everyone likes these kinds of animes. lol
Green Platinum

Shota wrote:

Prison School; I thought it was going to be some shit anime due to the cover. But, really it's pretty funny. Seems like it mocks hentai and a lot of facial expressions. It reminds me a lot of Bakemonogatari tbh. But, it's more.. blunt on the sexual theme. But, I still would only rate it 5/10. Not everyone likes these kinds of animes. lol
So it's not good in your view.

Same @ nub-
Shota

Green Platinum wrote:

So it's not good in your view.

Same @ nub-
5/10 Is even which means watchable, which is good enough for me.
Green Platinum
Kinda defeats the point of the thread if your example is bad to mediocre
KatouMegumi
Can I say Charlotte?
Green Platinum

fizzn1 wrote:

Can I say Charlotte?
Did you think it was going to be bad but then it turned out good?
CuticleThong

Green Platinum wrote:

CuticleThong wrote:

But DxD's story is horribly bad
Nah.... Thats the cons of that series. Don't forget with TLR 'cuz it still the worst for the story due of excessive FS's
Green Platinum
I don't defend TLR for story either. You said you found DxD to be a generic harem but the story in the later section saves it. then you double back saying the story is a con of the series. So does that mean you don't find DxD good?
Volta
Shinsekai Yori would be one of those anime that unexpectedly good. the first three episodes seems promising but the artstyle is changing in some episode and many would drop the anime because sudden Yuri and Yaoi development. But after 25 episodes it turned out to be a deep and great show.
Green Platinum

Flying Pan wrote:

Shinsekai Yori would be one of those anime that unexpectedly good. the first three episodes seems promising but the artstyle is changing in some episode and many would drop the anime because sudden Yuri and Yaoi development. But after 25 episodes it turned out to be a deep and great show.
The "Sudden" yaoi and yuri development was obvious in hindsight because that is what the Minoshiro was talking about. That's why I find the series so expertly written because every folktale in their childhood plays an important role later on; The Cats, Karma demon etc.
Volta
yes but looking at the episodes before the appearance of false minoshiro, there is no sign of yuri/yaoi in the show (or maybe there are some but not so obvious and feels like just a friendship things). The development would be shocking for those who expect more normal and patterned love pentagon drama between main characters which is very common in 3 boys - 2 girls main character show (that was my first story-development guess). And yeah the series is expertly-written and covered the unstable artstyle.
Raiken-
Gakkou Gurashi. I thought there is no end and it's full of girl talks. Well, it's not.
Ochinchi-sama
'Yuri seijin naoko-san', purely on the humour. It's so mild but it hits the right spot everytime.
Hidden-

Reset- wrote:

Steins;Gate

I got so bored of it at first that i took 6 months to watch the first half but finished the other half in a day
Exact Same thing but after like 3 episodes I choked, and several months later one of my friend told me, you need to watch this, so I decided to resume, after episode 12, I did the rest in one go.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, really loved the concept but disconnected after the beginning of season 2, when I resumed it, I though it was genius.

Baka to test and love lab, are in the same category, I really had trouble at first but they both ended up being two of the top comedy I've seen in anime, laughing until my ribs break.

Shokugeki no Souma, really love culinary art, and at first I though it would be plain ecchi anime/harem(which was kinda the case), but ended up being a super generic bad ass main character that is overpower and has to overcome his weakness to beat everyone, which is something I usually hate, but look kinda cool with cooking.

Code Geass, had two friend spamming the shiet out of me to watch it, took me a while to get used to it, but ended up really loving it, mostly for the music I think, and obviously the ending.
Kurochiie
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Endaris
Air was such a hassle :o
Having the first half being a weird mashup of some VN-routes(i haven't read) turned this into a pain to get through(especially with the sudden and unexplained change into a different world) and I would have certainly dropped it if I didn't make an agreement to finish it with some other person who had to watch some episodes of my favourite anime in return.
The last few episodes(9-12) turned out to be much better than what came before. Wouldn't call it a good show overall but it managed to comfort me over the extremely lame middlepart(ep 6-8).
I rated it 6/10 in the end but at episode 8 I was at like 4/10. I assume the VN is actually a pretty good read.
A Medic
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei