forum

[invalid] Extra combo on a map when using 'Beta' version

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jatie
Problem Details:
On this map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/238379?m=0, I was able to get a 164 combo through some kind of bug with Beta. On Stable the max combo possible is 162. My score is #1 on the leaderboard.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Scores from last night on Beta and score from today on Stable. Just tried it again on Beta and it gives 164 combo.

osu! version: 20150922.3beta
VeilStar
The way sliders are handled has been changed on cuttingedge and beta. It's supposedly more accurate now. This caused an extra tick to be spawned on some sliders, which means you can get a a higher combo than what was previous possible, which is what's happening here.
That being said, it's safe to assume that this is intended, and not a bug.
Topic Starter
Jatie

VeilStar wrote:

The way sliders are handled has been changed on cuttingedge and beta. It's supposedly more accurate now. This caused an extra tick to be spawned on some sliders, which means you can get a a higher combo than what was previous possible, which is what's happening here.
That being said, it's safe to assume that this is intended, and not a bug.
So your telling me every single score that has ever been done is now invalid due to this 'feature'?

This will kill easy, normal and hard leaderboards if it is common, which it seems like it will be. Who thought this would be a good idea?
VeilStar

Jatie wrote:

So your telling me every single score that has ever been done is now invalid due to this 'feature'?
No. Nothing becomes invalid, everything stays the way it is. Eventually the new slider method will be pushed down to the stable release stream.

Jatie wrote:

This will kill easy, normal and hard leaderboards if it is common, which it seems like it will be. Who thought this would be a good idea?
The amount of maps affected should be minimal. I'm sure enough thought has been put into it before considering it worth it and pushing it to a build. If anything, ask Tom94 about it.
peppy
Affected maps should be VERY few (this is an edge case which involves weird slider timings).

On top of this, so what if scores are no longer "valid"? It just means there's an opportunity to freshen things up.
Topic Starter
Jatie

peppy wrote:

On top of this, so what if scores are no longer "valid"? It just means there's an opportunity to freshen things up.
Because the person who has the highest spinner bonus should be first on a fullmod map. ALWAYS. This defeats the purpose of spinning. You may not think spinning is important, but MANY people do.
peppy
The highest spin will still get the highest score. The highest score has just changed.
Topic Starter
Jatie

peppy wrote:

The highest spin will still get the highest score. The highest score has just changed.
The highest spin will NOT get the highest score if this 'feature' is present. A spinner capped score that lncognito gets in 2011 could be beaten by someone who spins half that if this 'feature' is present in a map. If it even screws a few map's leaderboards, it should not have been a 'feature'
MillhioreF
The fact that the max combo wasn't 164 before was a game bug in itself, and one that's only now being rectified. Changes like this to fix issues with incorrect or unplayable patterns have been made before (mostly in CtB) and players adapt to the new max combo and set scores that weren't possible before. Leaderboards change, and life goes on.

If there was a change that _decreased_ the max combo and made old scores impossible to beat, that would be cause for concern. But I don't think that's happened since 2008.