forum

Feint - We Won't Be Alone (feat. Laura Brehm)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Swerro

Cheesecake wrote:

A rose often has the connotation of love, you know how in a relationship one might give a rose to the other to be romantic? The song is about love, or more accurately about a lover leaving the character the lyrics describe, so one could imagine said character giving a rose to the person who left her to try and prove her love. Perhaps not the best example, but hopefully that brings my idea across.
So while Rose doesn't directly link with the song, the connotation of a rose and the theme of the song definitely do. It is also of course a play on Hikaru's name there's no denying that, but it's not just some blind memery and there was some thought and inspiration behind it.
It's definitely creative naming,

But really. When I listen to this song, I wouldn't really call this song is about love. It's a Feint/Monstercat song. Which gives more like a 'cool/upbeat/catchy' feeling than a love feeling. Even when I read/listen to the lyrics I don't catch many love-like things. (more just your average edgy lyrics tbh).

The reason you give for the difficulty naming is too far-fetched in my opinion, "Rose Extra" doesn't fit the song/beatmap.

Of course most people won't even bother thinking about the difficulty name.
But the many other people will think it's a stupid typo or meme.
Only the very few ones who read/have read this thread will realize it isn't a typo and see that the naming actually does have (some kind of/debatable) thought behind it.
Topic Starter
Cheesecake
I guess its not directly about love, more about break ups which is still under the "umbrella" of love. I dont see why the artist or label would have anything to do with the theme of the song, its up to the artist to make whatever kind of song they like.

Like you say, whether you think my reasoning is acceptable or not is an opinion and up to the individual, not everyone is going to agree.

Yes, while most people wont notice/care about the unusual difficulty name, is some "obscure" meaning really so bad? I think the uniqueness of it adds some charm to the set, and what if you have, say, a difficulty name in japanese for some japanese song. I have no idea what the name means, I have no idea what the song is about, unless I decide to look into it and I don't see a problem with that. I think some trust can be put into the ranking process that such things are ok.
Swerro

Cheesecake wrote:

Yes, while most people wont notice/care about the unusual difficulty name, is some "obscure" meaning really so bad? I think the uniqueness of it adds some charm to the set, and what if you have, say, a difficulty name in japanese for some japanese song. I have no idea what the name means, I have no idea what the song is about, unless I decide to look into it and I don't see a problem with that.
Of course, uniqueness & charm to the map is good.

The main point is, when I look at this difficulty naming and find out why you named it that way using logic, I'd conclude that it's a forced pun diffname.
Example: If WubWoofWolf would map the song 'Wolf in my heart' and call it 'WubWoof's Wolf' it would all make sense. It's a pun AND the song is obviously about wolves.
If Hikaru would map the song 'We won't be alone' and call it 'Hikaru's Rose Extra' makes sense. It's a pun AND ... that's all ..
The connection with Rose Extra - this Feint song isn't obvious enough compared to how obvious the fact is that it's a pun diffname

You see the difference between Japanese songs/diffs of which you don't know the name is that:
You know that you don't know what it is about.
However for this case. People instantly see it's a pun, and won't bother to think/dig deeper at all
They don't know that they don't know what it is about / (They think they already do: "It's a pun AND ... that's all ..")

An "obscure" meaning only works when there is no predominant meme/pun that goes with it.

Cheesecake wrote:

I think some trust can be put into the ranking process that such things are ok.
You are free to think that

If you go for meme/pun in ranked section, at least have it make sense / be a creative one. "Hikaru's Rose Extra" is not unique and charming.

This stuff wouldn't be a bother at all if the mapper was called Hikaru instead of Hikaru Rose. Hikaru's Extra / Hikaru Rose's Extra / Hikaru Rose (or just something complete different that fits comparable to Fort's Together) Any of these won't have that problem.
Hikaru Rose
Tragic Love Extra
Weber
r u people srs.......
Exote
my exact thought
Topic Starter
Cheesecake
I feel like you're bringing too much opinion into your complaints, you can say you think it's a forced pun, but I already gave my reasoning for it so you should know that there's more to it than a joke. It doesn't matter if people think it's a pun at first, if they even recognise that the mapper is Hikaru Rose in the first place, but if you just think about it and listen to the lyrics for a minute it's not hard to understand. Additionally, Hikaru has never gone by Hikaru Rose in a guest difficulty so again most people won't recognise the pun you seem to think was the driving force behind the name here.

It's your opinion that Rose Extra isn't deserving of being a difficulty name, my opinion is that it is. This difficulty shouldn't just be an Extra, the style is too far apart from Kyshiro's Extra to have the same name, and I didn't want to use the same single noun difficulty name that other sets have - at least, I don't like how it looks when it's a guest mapper. You're speaking like this is some big problem, but it really isn't.
Swerro
We're talking ranking a map, every detail matters. It's not a big problem, allthough there's nothing wrong with discussing a small problem.

Me, M a r v o l l o and ByBy seemed to have conceive the mapname the wrong way. Did think about what other reason one could have to name a diff 'Hikaru's Rose Extra', but had to wait for your reply and explanation to actually understand it.
Try to view it from players perspective. Let a ranked map make objective sense, and not only your sense - Hollow Wings

Change the diff name. Create a unique charming diffname with a deeper/obscure meaning behind it. That's what you want it to be. Don't go for a "pun with a deeper meaning behind it". That doesn't work and looks stupid.
Syph
the diff name is fine...
Swerro

Syph wrote:

the diff name is fine...
.. for your standards for sure
Syph

Swerro wrote:

Syph wrote:

the diff name is fine...
don't force your shitty opinions onto other people, cheesecake has given a good explanation which makes perfect sense, people who originally started this argument agreed to it and here u are complaining over nothing trying to get what you want for .. what reason?
Jace

Swerro wrote:

Syph wrote:

the diff name is fine...
it doesn't have to meet yours though. at this point it's just your opinion and trying to get the map disqualified over it is being ridiculous.
Natsu
The diff name is fine, I don't see why you guys are making a big deal of it xd
WORSTPOLACKEU

Swerro wrote:

Syph wrote:

the diff name is fine...
Why u triggered at the name m8, pls it's fine
MEK
tfw u never watched a rom com
Taro-chan_old_1
Nice map ! Love It!
BTW: Congratulations qualifited!) (soorry im have bad english)
Swerro

Syph wrote:

don't force your shitty opinions onto other people, cheesecake has given a good explanation which makes perfect sense
don't even bother
it doesn't have to meet yours though. at this point it's just your opinion and trying to get the map disqualified over it is being ridiculous.
Why u triggered at the name m8, pls it's fine
The diff name is fine, I don't see why you guys are making a big deal of it xd
the diff name is retarded, I hate it, should be changed. I still stand behind that even if everyone disagrees with me.
I try to let mapper know my opinion and convince him. - did not work out.
'the deal' is as big as we all make it ourselves. I don't do that on my own.
Syph
lol
Topic Starter
Cheesecake
It's not a big problem, it's also not a small problem, because there isn't a problem. Marvollo and ByBy were happy with my explanation and that was that. I'm not changing the difficulty name, because for me it fits all the criteria you describe.

Swerro wrote:

'the deal' is as big as we all make it ourselves. I don't do that on my own.
Yet you keep posting
Swerro
Then keep your diffname if there's no problem to you and all these other people.
Besides, I do reply to you (and posts of other people who felt like contributing to this discussion) just like you reply to mine.
Just Miracle-
Ranked :) :D
Kyshiro
Drama over a god damn diff name oh boy, IT'S A GAME GUIZE REMEMBER THAT, IT'S NOT REAL LIFE AND HAS NO IMPACT ON YOUR LIFE'S QAULITY IN ANY WAY. Good thing i'm pretty much inactive by now and missed this nonsense.

Either way congrats on the rank
Vivyanne
Swerro you went in on the meme too deep :/
RyoKazuka
WOA GRATZ
ROSE EXTRA